• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I disliked Ike as a character in the one game I played as him

But so far, I actually like Chrom as a character. THough I'm not very far.

I actually prefer my guy though.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I only hope he doesn't replace Ike. Otherwise I'll be ...furious...outraged...sick with anger! :laugh:

But seriously, I want Ike to return.

:phone:

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
Ike and Chrom don't have to play the same, so they shouldn't cut Ike to replace him with Chrom. I'd be pretty upset by that as well, since I like Ike quite a bit. Plus I'd rather see them do something different with Chrom than just repeat Ike's old moveset, so there is that factor there too. Kind of wonder what they'll do with all three playable (though they should have three characters, Fire Emblem is at minimum as big a series as Starfox, and has loads to offer in terms of moveset potential).

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Again, I say we should keep Marth and Ike and just add Roy back in.

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
Awakening is massively popular, and is likely to be a good foundation for future FE games (in the sense that the success of it should encourage a lot more). They should add in Chrom (or an Awakening character, but any barring Chrom (and especially getting in over him) are unlikely) due to that. I'm not really a fan of this as FE's representation, but Roy has already been in, and Chrom should be in, and I'm against cuts, so all four being in is the best to me. Maybe Chrom could (as unlikely as it is) just use a spear and Ike switch to Urvan (though in Ike's case it wouldn't change his moveset much, just the aesthetics).

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Come to think of it.

What would Chrom's moveset be? Another sword user?

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
Presumably, though it has plenty of ways to be different from the existing movesets. Another possibility is changing existing ones as well, though I'm not sure how that'd go.

OmegaRS

Smash Apprentice
I've been thinking about Fire Emblem character movesets. I was thinking that each character could have a similar special moveset, but be different enough to have differing play styles.

Chrom: I notice that Chrom uses a lot of uppercuts with his sword in Awakening. A lot of his moves utilize that.
B - Chargeable uppercut, when fully charged, has potential to send even low percentage opponents dangerously close to ceiling.
<B> - Aether. Chrom's style of Aether is that he does a quick uppercut, jumps backwards and thrusts through the opponent making it more suitable for a Side Special rather than up.
B^ - Another one of Chrom's criticals in Awakening just has him do a powerful jump slash. Similar to Ike's Aether, it actually sends him back down towards the stage with his sword out, but it sends him forward as well, creating an arch like pattern.
Bv - Like all the Fire Emblem characters, this is his counter. The speed of his counter would be between Ike's and Marth's and would send the opponent flying upwards.

Still working on a Final Smash. I have yet to finish the game, so I'm gonna continue to observe.

Ike: I would only make 2 changes to Ike's Specials.
B - Chargeable Ragnell Shockwave. The less you charge, the smaller the wave, and it doesn't go very far. That could fix the move from being too broken as Sakurai put it.
Bv - Ike is the strongest of the Fire Emblem reps. He should show that off. His counter should bring his sword down on the opponent like an axe on a log and smash them to the ground.

Roy: He doesn't have to be a Marth clone. Too many people use that logic for why he shouldn't be in, but Roy could have enough moves of his own...
B - Eruption. This move was taken from Roy and added on to Ike when they cut Roy from Brawl. It works well enough for Roy.
<B> - Flame Wheel. Roy flips forward with his sword like a flaming saw blade. This move is inspired by Roy's critical in Awakening, with added fire.
B^ - Roy would do a slow upward spin (Not like Link. Much slower) with his flaming sword.
Bv - Aegis. Whereas a regular counter simply deflects projectiles, Roy would send the object flying back at the opponent with an added fire effect from being hit with his sword. If it was decided it could counter physical moves as well, he would send a wave of fire at the opponent.
Final Smash - Super Eruption. Roy would thrust his sword into the ground for an effect similar to Ho-Oh's Sacred Fire Pokeball move.

And just for fun I made Lyn. Just wishful thinking that because she was the first Lord the American audience got to play as, she could finally be a playable character.

Lyn: The speed at which she moves in Brawl and Awakening and her own game would make her the fastest sword wielder in the game, with speeds rivaling Captain Falcon. Keep in mind that "teleport" in this section refers to her speed, not actual teleportation.
B - I've seen a few things about her using bows, so I decided to add in a chargeable bow attack that you can't infinitely charge. The charge dictates power, not distance. After, you can hit B up to 3 more times and each arrow's damage is halved for a total of 4 arrows.
<B> - Speed Slash. Think of her Brawl Assist Trophy move, except it just teleports her forward and slashes.
B^ - Spinning uppercut with a slash at the end. This one is more similar to Link's.
Bv - Lyn's counter would have her teleport behind the opponent, slash them backwards, and then teleport to her original position and slash them forwards again. This move could be canceled after the first slash if need be.
Final Smash - Sol Katti. Lyn would get a slight moveset change as she pulls out her Sol Katti sword. Pretty much every B move is changed into a super fast movement in the direction you press, with a powerful slash at the end.

And if "Marth" (Following shinpichu's example below me) were to be added, he would have the same moveset as Chrom, but in the style of Marth, if that makes any sense. In Awakening, "Marth" relies on stabs, much like Marth, but his moves are mostly the exact same as Chrom's. Her B^ would add a little spin before slamming downward, his <B>, Aether, would stab instead of uppercut, and her B would be basically just like Marth.

Really, if "Marth" were to be added, I'd like him better as DLC.

Comments and criticism are always welcome.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
So having finally played(and finished) Awakening, I feel I should give my thoughts on it.

The game itself: It's like f***ing crack. I haven't gotten anything productive done over the last few days because of it. Really disappointed by the DLC and SpotPass characters, though.
Chrom: I'm warming up to him as a character. I don't really see him replacing Ike, though, and Roy is still my preferred choice.
Marth*: Also really cool. I could see her or Chrom being playable. I've seen some suggestions for her to be a Marth replacement, which have me scratching my head, because the two don't have similar fighting styles at all.
Other Characters: I know this isn't likely at all, but I would really like to see Robin as a playable character. It'd be really cool to see a representative from Fire Emblem that isn't a dedicated sword user, and s/he seems like a good choice IMO. Though Chrom is still the most likely.

*(not using her real name until I can get spoiler tags to work)

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Chrom would be the obvious new FE rep. I hear Awakening is selling like hot cakes and for good reason. He cannot use spears, because I don't believe he'll have his Great Lord look, I think he'll be the way he looks on the cover. The real Marth will return of course, with a new design. If the new 'Marth' were to join, he'd be an absolute clone of Marth. She's even so in game. I don't use her because of this. Same animations and everything.
Chrom doesn't so much jab, but he slashes a lot. A little faster than link I would say and just as powerful. He has a special called aether as well. Which is a huge upward strike.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
I talked to three people who have played Awakening and all three said Chrom should replace Ike. I haven't played it myself, the demo I have but not the full game. Loved that immediately. If Chrom really becomes extremely popular in America, I strongly think it shouldn't be to replace Ike. If he does I think it'd be best if he uses a lance. It wouldn't make much sense, but it'd be a different moveset.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Marth, Ike and Chrom for SSB4!

OmegaRS

Smash Apprentice
There's no reason Fire Emblem can't have 3 or 4 reps in the next game. Brawl was supposed to have 3, This game could easily house 3 or 4.

OmegaRS

Smash Apprentice
Four

Marth, Ike, Micaiah, & Chrom
To be perfectly honest, if Michaiah were to get in (And I'm all about showing the diversity of the FE games, a mage would be a great addition), I'd rather have Roy than Ike. It'd be better having someone who uses a flaming sword as his main weapon than "just another sword user".

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think Marth, Ike, Chrom and Roy is the most likely scenario for a 4 character Fire Emblem roster, so that's what I'm rooting for. As boring as it might sound perhaps, but I do like all these characters a lot, so I wouldn't care.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
I think Marth, Ike, Chrom and Roy is the most likely scenario for a 4 character Fire Emblem roster, so that's what I'm rooting for. As boring as it might sound perhaps, but I do like all these characters a lot, so I wouldn't care.
I agree. Marth and Ike have huge popularity and do not deserve to be cut at all. Roy and Chrom also have huge popularity, and Roy has the planned for Brawl thing going for him. This new game is so popular, if Chrom wasn't originally planned he may be a planned now.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Just beat Awakening, it's definitely the best FE game for it's gameplay, but it's story is among/if not the worst in the series IMO.

Anyway I'm definitely going to start betting 4 FE characters, I'm also kinda surprised at the amount of great stage locations there are in Awakening (Mila Tree, Mount Prism, Dragon's Altar/Table, Grima), I'll definitely post my redone stage concept here when I finish it.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Just beat Awakening, it's definitely the best FE game for it's gameplay, but it's story is among/if not the worst in the series IMO..
That description reminds me of FE5 more than anything else, though FE5's story is not so much bad, but just very bland and boring.

FE13 is certainly the most polished and has the highest production values of any game in the series. It probably also has the highest replay value. It would be one of the two games I would recommend to a newcomer to the series (the other being Sacred Stones).

One thing I really did not like about FE13 is all the anime tropes and fanservice. I thought the confession screens were creepy, and the design for female black mages tasteless. By comparison, FE5 was basically the opposite, perhaps the grittiest game in the series (the only supernatural thing going on in that game is the stone spell).

Its hard to say whether its the best international released FE (FE7 and FE9 at least had a far superior plot, world, and characters going for it, as well as a diverse set of chapter missions). However, it is definitely better than FE8, FE10, and FE11.

Definitely one of the best games in the series (Top 5) though.

I am curious what you thought about Chrom though.

On a sidenote, I think if Lucina's design were anything but a gender-swap version of Marth, she would be more requested than Chrom for Smash 4.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
One thing I really did not like about FE13 is all the anime tropes and fanservice. I thought the confession screens were creepy, and the design for female black mages tasteless.
Agreed 100%. I didn't mind the marriage/romance mechanic, but I hated the dating sim aspect.

Though I think that Aversas confession was kinda funny.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Lucina might also make it before Roy I think, though that's not very likely. Think they'll indeed go for the 'Masked Marth' version of Lucina for a Marth alternative. Don't think I'd mind her being a Luigified Marth clone though, but feel Roy has more potential in this regard.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
That description reminds me of FE5 more than anything else, though FE5's story is not so much bad, but just very bland and boring.
My main problem is that the story is never really consistent with many parts being felt forced in for the sake of making the game longer and that the main villains themselves, Validar/Aversa/Grima, were all uninteresting. The game also tripped in it's attempt to make the game enjoyable for new and older players, there's still a good amount of references to past FE games (Ex. Shield of Seals) but it's also combined with new elements like Grima that make things alienating for both sides of the player spectrum (who the heck if Marth/WTF happened to Marth after FE3?). Also time travel makes everything complicated.

Honestly I think the game would have been better off as a more direct sequel to FE2/3 with Medeus as the main villain and none of the time travel stuff.

FE13 is certainly the most polished and has the highest production values of any game in the series. It probably also has the highest replay value. It would be one of the two games I would recommend to a newcomer to the series (the other being Sacred Stones).
Agreed. As a side note though, I'm glad they were able to find a balance between FE2 and FE8 in difficulty.

One thing I really did not like about FE13 is all the anime tropes and fanservice. I thought the confession screens were creepy, and the design for female black mages tasteless. By comparison, FE5 was basically the opposite, perhaps the grittiest game in the series (the only supernatural thing going on in that game is the stone spell).
At first I thought it'd be one of the more enjoyable parts of the game but look back I wouldn't say it's one of the game's high points.

Its hard to say whether its the best international released FE (FE7 and FE9 at least had a far superior plot, world, and characters going for it, as well as a diverse set of chapter missions). However, it is definitely better than FE8, FE10, and FE11.

Definitely one of the best games in the series (Top 5) though.
I agree on all of these points.

I am curious what you thought about Chrom though.

On a sidenote, I think if Lucina's design were anything but a gender-swap version of Marth, she would be more requested than Chrom for Smash 4.
Honestly I don't really care for Chrom as a character, but he did surprise me by having his own character and not just being a direct copy of Marth/Ike, though he'd probably be more likable if not for the My Unit/Avatar stuff (he's pretty funny I thought in the DLC chapters as an example). Tough to say what his impact on the series will hold just yet.

After playing the game, there's no chance that he'd be able to effectively replace Marth/Ike/Roy, he's not as good of a character as Marth/Ike (and probably Roy, haven't started on FE6 just yet) nor does he have the moveset options that they all have (Marth is Marth, Ike has Ragnell and much more flashy attack animations, Roy has his flame sword as well as "planned to be decloned" on his side). If he gets in, I'm betting he's going to be the next Lucas (if Marth = Ness), and he'll be riding off the success of FE13 for his reason for getting in. But yeah I'm betting on 4 FE characters now.

BTW I like how in the Nintendo Direct when they said: Marth, Roy, and Ike.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
My main problem is that the story is never really consistent with many parts being felt forced in for the sake of making the game longer and that the main villains themselves, Validar/Aversa/Grima, were all uninteresting. The game also tripped in it's attempt to make the game enjoyable for new and older players, there's still a good amount of references to past FE games (Ex. Shield of Seals) but it's also combined with new elements like Grima that make things alienating for both sides of the player spectrum (who the heck if Marth/WTF happened to Marth after FE3?). Also time travel makes everything complicated.

Honestly I think the game would have been better off as a more direct sequel to FE2/3 with Medeus as the main villain and none of the time travel stuff.
Yeah that bugged me a lot too. I figured in another game set in Marth's universe, Medeus would come back somehow.

Grima is basically a retread of Loputosu from FE4 (for those who don't know Loputosu was a dark dragon who formed a blood bond with a human to become his human vessel, basically the same as Grima).

I am curious where Grima even came out from. Loputosu made sense to be another dark dragon because it was set even before the Akaneia games (before much of the Earth Dragon tribe became mindless beasts). I think by the time of Marth's games, Medeus is the only intelligent Earth Dragon left.

So where did Grima come from exactly? And wouldn't Medeus be allowed to run free with the orbs of the Shield of Seals being absent again?

The time travelling stuff was also a bit far out even for Fire Emblem.

BTW I like how in the Nintendo Direct when they said: Marth, Roy, and Ike.
Yeah the quote was something along the lines of "you will also face off against legendary characters such as Marth, Roy, and Ike".

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
It's funny but everyone on the FE thread in the Light House also agree with the story being underwhelming, I honestly thought I'd get hate for making such a criticism.

Anyway I'm definitely hoping for FE14 to star Marth so we can figure out just WTF happened between him and Grima. Ironically the only question that FE13 answered for the series as a whole was the mystery of Anna. :laugh:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Marth meets Ike maybe? As Ike also came to the continent, might as well be around the time Marth lived I guess?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
It's funny but everyone on the FE thread in the Light House also agree with the story being underwhelming, I honestly thought I'd get hate for making such a criticism.

Anyway I'm definitely hoping for FE14 to star Marth so we can figure out just WTF happened between him and Grima. Ironically the only question that FE13 answered for the series as a whole was the mystery of Anna. :laugh:
My memory is a bit foggy, but was it ever specified that it was Marth that killed/sealed Grima 1,000 years ago? Or was is some other unnamed hero?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Uhh... SPOILER ALERT!

There's a spoiler tag for some reason. Check my location under my username, and you'll understand why!

Sorry to sound a little harsh, but where's the respect for people who can't even get the game yet? ;_;

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
My memory is a bit foggy, but was it ever specified that it was Marth that killed/sealed Grima 1,000 years ago? Or was is some other unnamed hero?
I don't believe it was stated that it was Marth, they just said "the first Exalt."

If they did a sequel to Awakening, I'd love to see it set on a different continent so we could see descendants of the heroes from other FE games.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Uhh... SPOILER ALERT!

There's a spoiler tag for some reason. Check my location under my username, and you'll understand why!

Sorry to sound a little harsh, but where's the respect for people who can't even get the game yet? ;_;
They are not spoilers for FE13. Most of the stuff being talked about if stuff that happened in FE3 and FE4.

Also, I can't find the spoiler tag for this site's revision anyway.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Okay... once again, I apologize for my reaction.

Well, anyhoo, you can use the same [ spoiler ]Spoiler here[/ spoiler ] tags as before (remove spaces). However, they work more like the old
tags.

This is a spoiler.

Apparently you can also add titles to your spoiler using this format [ spoiler = "Title" ] (once again, remove spaces).

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
I just want to Imply how Ike is very important to the Fire Emblem series.....

Ike is the first non-noble main character in the Fire Emblem series.

Ike is only second to Marth, and you can see that implied in The firs DLC. Where you can let Chrom (the Main character of Awakening) talk to Marth and in the other hand you can let "Robin" (Only second to Chrom) talk to Ike, And it's implied to that the only Main Character who has a descendant in awakening other than Marth would be Ike "Priam". this to me is implication that Marth and Ike are the origin of archetypes for games to come.

Fire Emblem is known for a having archetypes, for example. The Red and Green Cavaliers, The Jeigan archetype, The Ogma archetype , The Navarre archetype.

Marth Archtype: Is a lord of noble origin, very graceful, very neat and have quite the bland noble personality.

Ike Archtype : The common man, very rough, edgy, His personality is very forward and he is seen as the underdog and in the end he end up saving the day.

Most of the Fire Emblem main characters are descendent of the Marth Archetype, The Original My Unit is descendant of the Ike archetype, so it's for Robin. (Chrom is an oddball because in terms of design he resembles Ike alot, but still the introduction Priam (Paris) showed how timid and neat Chrome in comparison to Priam).

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Don't really see why their social status matters to Smash

grizby2

Smash Lord
i'll take any character as long as it isn't a Sword-Lord. seriously, just how many characters are there in the fire emblem universe? and out of all the characters chosen for smash they were all sword-lords? i honestly think that we need some variety here. ya know?

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
"Robin" (My Unit) movesets:

B (Thunde-Thoron): Thunder it can be charged when it's fully charged it becomes Thoron "Strongest thunder magic"

B^(Duel Attack UP): Basically a Dragon Knight or a falcon knight comes and pick Robin up (it's more like snakes B^)

B<> (Ignis): He enchants his sword with thunder

B-down (Dual Attack guard): A Knight comes forth and guards you from incoming attack after he does he counter the attack with a Spear throw.

Final Smash: He summons Grima to attack anyone he aims at.

I agree with grizby2, we need someone that doesn't use a sword.

I see many people saying that Ike would use axes and Chrom would use lances, but would Sakurai actually even do it? Or would he just keep them sword only users alongside Marth? Possibly with just another sword user with them.

:facepalm:

•Col•

Smash Champion
I agree with grizby2, we need someone that doesn't use a sword.

I see many people saying that Ike would use axes and Chrom would use lances, but would Sakurai actually even do it? Or would he just keep them sword only users alongside Marth? Possibly with just another sword user with them.

:facepalm:
You know what'd be a nice little easter egg?

Having a handful of weapons that each character can use, which you can swap through with the taunt button. Just as an example.. Ike could switch from the Ragnell to a generic axe, Marth could get a rapier, Roy can switch to a Wyrmslayer, and Chrom can use a lance(By holding it halfway down the shaft it can be swung like a sword. Anyone who's seen the Kain Highwind texture hack for Marth in SSBB will know what I'm talking about).

The change would be purely aesthetic of course. Wouldn't change any hitboxes or move properties.

I think it'd be a neat little thing, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom