• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Sothe is the coolest one as long as you don't mind belly shirts. If you do mind belly shirts, Heather is very cool.

Sothe has a very, very, very low chance. He is a type of strong supporting character, and appears on the cover of Radian Dawn along with Micaiah.

MICAIAH + SOTHE DUO CHARACTER...

...will never happen T_T

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
@monk, I'll only think less of you if you actually had an anna shrine and forgot about reality :p
In seriousness, I don't think sakurai breaks it this time around, there are still viable lords to choose from, roy, lyn, etc.
I don't, and fair enough, we shall see. :3
I was kidding about the sprite being hot of course.
I think the difference is that in the merchant class, Anna uses the lance as her default weapon. Chrom should always have the Falchion first.
Naw man, sprites are hot. And agreed. Though if I must say, it is my one reserved fear that Sakurai wouldn't use her full potential. I very much doubt this fear, for if he's going to put Anna in, it's only going to be because he saw that awesome potential.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Huh, didn't noticed that the forums were back. Also been away with getting a 3DS and playing Fire Emblem: Awakening (it's been a really fun game, it's my new favorite). Now I'd kill for the Swapnote Stationery.

Anyway, I'm a bit lazy to read what has been going on. Anything new?

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
People complaining about Chrom, people trying to defend Chrom, Roy in Project M, Micaiah telling you that she's disappointing you, your waifu is ****, Anna.
ANNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Edit: whoops, surry aboot dhat, I just realized that was basically a spam post. But yes. She is going on and hip happening doge.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Is it too late to state that maybe being so reluctant with the idea of either Chrom or Lucina being a little too rash and bias?

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
It's never too late. I mean, we are still roughly a year out from the game.

Here's all the GBA styles sprites I've done for FE so far. I plan on making Nephenee and Marth sprites as well. I've posted most of them on the individual threads but I don't think I've ever posted all of them in on the FE thread in one post. If I have, my apologies.

Oh, and they are all edited of sprites of course. Ike might have a tiny bit of Raven. Micaiah is from Lute, Anna is from Matthew. And the dueling swords of Lucina and Chrom are from Roy. Sakurai isn't the only one that can make clones.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
It's never too late. I mean, we are still roughly a year out from the game.

Here's all the GBA styles sprites I've done for FE so far. I plan on making Nephenee and Marth sprites as well. I've posted most of them on the individual threads but I don't think I've ever posted all of them in on the FE thread in one post. If I have, my apologies.

Oh, and they are all edited of sprites of course. Ike might have a tiny bit of Raven. Micaiah is from Lute, Anna is from Matthew. And the dueling swords of Lucina and Chrom are from Roy. Sakurai isn't the only one that can make clones.
nice dude, have you already made hector or lyn sprites yet? and if you did may i use them for my sig? :D

D

Deleted member

Is it too late to state that maybe being so reluctant with the idea of either Chrom or Lucina being a little too rash and bias?
"Oh now you love me. Now you love Macho Chrom. Well it's too late...MAYBE NOT! *flexes*"

I really don't care about any FE character at this point, but I couldn't pass up an opportunity to make a Punch-Out reference. :awesome:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
People complaining about Chrom, people trying to defend Chrom, Roy in Project M, Micaiah telling you that she's disappointing you, your waifu is ****, Anna.
This Thread.gif

EDIT: 6 hours latter, I've halted all posts with this gif...

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Walhart 4 Smash.

I want a large horse rider axe wielder. Nobody else even relevant in the slightest would fulfill that role!
Also, lobster is delicious.

No, but seriously, if I was to pick anyone incredibly outlandish for Smash that I think should be in, it's that guy. Such a [redacted] hardcore individual. Reminds me of Senator Armstrong from Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. (Mature language and story spoilers, but well worth it, even the fight is interesting!)
Speaking of which, Walhart and Armstrong in one game might be too much, I don't want my Wii U to catch on fire. They're both so determined and value based characters, unwavering principle and honor being their firing point. These two villains have, in my mind, much more integrity than most main protagonists, whose character is woefully underdeveloped. Chrom falls neatly under that category, and do not mistake character with personality. Chrom certainly has personality. I don't know the reasons, but if I was to guess, it's that they are more careful not to offend anyone with the protagonist, leaving them unrefined. I've taken my liberties in fanfiction to orient my protagonists (Marth) to be actuated more to this attitude, and I feel even in the base games that Marth has much more character than the plain personality that is Chrom. Sure, we've got the lines where Chrom says "You're a madman", and "I can't allow you to sacrifice these people for x y z" and the like, and how he must stop you and your schemes, but there is no further explanation beyond that shallow attitude, he had outright said there's no more room for talking and is taken aback at the various statements, and I yearn to know the philosophy and inner workings of a character if they are to be meaningful. I sincerely believe this is the unrealized reason that so many have aversion to Chrom's character, because there is none, there is no core philosophy which is explained tying into his mannerism beyond an incredibly simple archetypal fold. I know Chrom's personality well, it is friendly with friends, his supports with Vaike and Frederick show that nicely, but most importantly he just seems--not dumb but certainly devoid of internal introspection to flesh out the most base of values he is designed to adhere to, there is little to no intelligence to it, especially in the conversations with Walhart. In real life, the archetypal, noble, and magnanimous folks have always been the most interesting, unique individuals, with their writings and character powerfully expressed, and many fictions do the crime of depriving an archetype of the necessary foundation that comprises that character, substituting an intrinsically blank mask of conversation, morality, or whatever. Truly a sad thing.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
What exactly changed your mind about Chrom anyway?
Claiming that Chrom couldn't have a unique moveset, but then realizing that it's kind of a hypocritical statement when other characters that provide even less are often improvised to hell and back. What I'm saying that perceiving Chrom as being forbidden from being distinctive is kind of a silly proposition and goes against my very own philosophies, as such I want to be more optimistic to avoid being bias.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Claiming that Chrom couldn't have a unique moveset, but then realizing that it's kind of a hypocritical statement when other characters that provide even less are often improvised to hell and back. What I'm saying that perceiving Chrom as being forbidden from being distinctive is kind of a silly proposition and goes against my very own philosophies, as such I want to be more optimistic to avoid being bias.
I see where we have broken paths. Inconsistency, not hypocrisy, was the root problem, and you're completely right for finally changing to align with those principles which suit you. This is the sort of character building I was talking about, man, you're far more interesting than I once new, hah, I thought you were just being cynical 24/7, but there's far more to it than that.

I suppose anyone'd expect me to throw in my lot with Chrom as well, but I cannot and will not, and I hope I have no internal inconsistency that needs reconciling. Sakurai has been demonstrated to show that he can create uniqueness, it is the impetus of the creative, the proactive product of his independent ability, if he has the proper interdependent skills, that process will be magnified through the proper delegation in a managerial way to the newfound companions which hold position underneath him from the Namco staff. I know he's read the Book of Five Rings, and I pray he does do his best. However, he has within himself what I see as his principles. For those that already have inspiration, they must maintain a feel and must share components from the field they come from, Captain Falcon from his speed and physicality, Mario from his fireballs and jumping prowess, and so on, there is a pattern displayed throughout each character that springs from both his intellect and desire to maintain what that character originally stood for. I firmly believe that Chrom's patterning, what he stands for, what his character represents, narrows the field of his potential moveset design to a degree to where I am rather inclined to seek other, more attractive options. Of course, as I've said many times, that's not to say he can't do it, I merely think it is unlikely.

And guize, D: , I don't know how to say it without sounding like an absolute idiot or sounding like I'm trying to pressure people into responding to me, but did no one think anything about my Walhart Armstrong Chrom paragraph? I mean, I thought it was interesting~ :3

•Col•

Smash Champion
And guize, D: , I don't know how to say it without sounding like an absolute idiot or sounding like I'm trying to pressure people into responding to me, but did no one think anything about my Walhart Armstrong Chrom paragraph? I mean, I thought it was interesting~ :3

I feel what you said was accurate regarding that Chrom isn't too fleshed out. He is pretty Gary Stu-ish, even compared to other recent Lords.... I think the main problem was that Awakening ended up focusing more on the Avatar and Lucina, which took away from them building more on Chrom.

I never thought it was impossible to make a unique/interesting moveset for Chrom.. Just that most movesets that you come for him could just about be pasted over plenty of other Fire Emblem characters. My point is, I don't see him bringing much more uniqueness than another Fire Emblem character, so why exactly should he get preference over others? Just because of recentness? Eh.. I'm just not sure Sakurai goes about characters like that, but it's not impossible.

Granted, Marth's moveset could have actually been pasted over other lords as well, but he holds a lot of significance to the FE series itself. Ike's moveset is a bit more unique though, as not many lords actually use a BFS, especially if he had kept the Ragnell shockwave projectile.

The only two possibilities I see for Chrom in terms of uniqueness of a moveset that most other FE characters can't offer is that he either takes the form of a duo-character (featuring Awakening's partner system), or he incorporates a lance for a lot of his moves. I would actually love an FE character that uses a lance and would totally use Chrom if he wielded one, but am I wrong for feeling like Sakurai wouldn't go in that direction for him? I dunno. I also don't see the duo-character route being entirely likely either just because of all the problems they run into when trying to implement said characters. I could totally be wrong though and either type of movesets make it into Smash 4, but I just feel like it isn't all that likely.

But even if such movesets were likely, I also don't see how Chrom should be given preference to a character like the Avatar(Robin), who can offer everything Chrom can and more. "Not having a defined look or name" isn't a valid excuse to me considering Animal Crossing Villager is already in, and Mii's are looking like a definite possibility as well.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
*Stares in awe at sprite*

Well...

*Imagines Roy on Horse scaled down to Bowser's size*

No. Sorry, as epic as that is...
Eliwood*
On a horse or not, I always thought eliwood was cooler than his son. But that's partly biased simply because FE7 has always been towards the top of my list.

•Col•

Smash Champion
I like Eliwood more than Roy too, actually.

Everyone always overlooks Eliwood though. :(

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I feel what you said was accurate regarding that Chrom isn't too fleshed out. He is pretty Gary Stu-ish, even compared to other recent Lords.... I think the main problem was that Awakening ended up focusing more on the Avatar and Lucina, which took away from them building more on Chrom.
Maybe it's just me, but I kind of thought Robin was more of a Gary Stu/Mary Sue then Chrom. I mean Robin is probably one of the best units in the game due to the diversity and stats, he's/she's got emphasis in the story despite being a mere customization character (which is a big no-no for a supposed side character), and is able to marry any opposite gender character which in some cases can be game breaking.

I never thought it was impossible to make a unique/interesting moveset for Chrom.. Just that most movesets that you come for him could just about be pasted over plenty of other Fire Emblem characters. My point is, I don't see him bringing much more uniqueness than another Fire Emblem character, so why exactly should he get preference over others? Just because of recentness? Eh.. I'm just not sure Sakurai goes about characters like that, but it's not impossible.

Granted, Marth's moveset could have actually been pasted over other lords as well, but he holds a lot of significance to the FE series itself. Ike's moveset is a bit more unique though, as not many lords actually use a BFS, especially if he had kept the Ragnell shockwave projectile.
I suppose one problem at hand is that we're kind of restricted to the main protagonists, the more interesting stuff is regulated to varies side characters. So since the priority is main over side, it's safe to assume that in order to compensate for restrictions due to many of the main characters being similar to each other, there would be an attempt at trying to make the character distinctive enough so there is enough contrast to prevent redundancy. I mean it is a possibility, there is no denying it, even something as subtle as having the forward aerial be a horizontal slash instead of a vertical one would be a step forward when trying to create something more distinctive.

Also, I suppose why Chrom is because he's currently the hot topic at hand and in terms of popularity is seen as the next actual new Fire Emblem character (Roy isn't technically a newcomer), not to mention it's already confirmed we're getting a stage based on Fire Emblem: Awakening in the form of Arena Ferox. So at the least we shouldn't be entirely dismissive of the idea just yet. Whether or not it's the ideal choice will be left to fate, though at the same time to say nothing good will come out of it guaranteed might be wreckless.

The only two possibilities I see for Chrom in terms of uniqueness of a moveset that most other FE characters can't offer is that he either takes the form of a duo-character (featuring Awakening's partner system), or he incorporates a lance for a lot of his moves. I would actually love an FE character that uses a lance and would totally use Chrom if he wielded one, but am I wrong for feeling like Sakurai wouldn't go in that direction for him? I dunno. I also don't see the duo-character route being entirely likely either just because of all the problems they run into when trying to implement said characters. I could totally be wrong though and either type of movesets make it into Smash 4, but I just feel like it isn't all that likely.
Alright, statements regarding to this.

First off you need to keep in mind the idea of an playstyle, you cannot just add gimmicks just for the sake of adding gimmicks. Especially in the case of the tag team idea, that idea has already been done with the Ice Climbers, and the results have gone terribly right due to how exploitable utilizing two characters as one is. I suppose in general trying to utilize a gimmick is a bit of a make or break situation, probably the most basic example of this is Marth and Roy. Marth's Falchion has a sweetspot at the tip of the blade, making preforming combos and kills more simple because you can stay a decent distance away from danger and you can manipulate the sourspot to preform combos, while Roy's Sword of Seals is at the base of sword, which is a hindrance because it means Roy has to get dangerously close to the opponent to fully take advantage of the swords properties and it generally costs range due to the pathetic sourspots.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Alright, statements regarding to this.

First off you need to keep in mind the idea of an playstyle, you cannot just add gimmicks just for the sake of adding gimmicks. Especially in the case of the tag team idea, that idea has already been done with the Ice Climbers, and the results have gone terribly right due to how exploitable utilizing two characters as one is. I suppose in general trying to utilize a gimmick is a bit of a make or break situation, probably the most basic example of this is Marth and Roy. Marth's Falchion has a sweetspot at the tip of the blade, making preforming combos and kills more simple because you can stay a decent distance away from danger and you can manipulate the sourspot to preform combos, while Roy's Sword of Seals is at the base of sword, which is a hindrance because it means Roy has to get dangerously close to the opponent to fully take advantage of the swords properties and it generally costs range due to the pathetic sourspots.

I didn't bring up those two as a possibility for "gimmicks". I brought them up because as I said if you just made a regular sword-swinging moveset, that the same moveset could be used over any other character that uses a sword. And if that's the case, why should Chrom get in the game with a moveset that any other sword uses could've used?

The duo-character and lance themed movesets were the only thing I've seen that Chrom has that not many others have. Well, he has Aether too I guess, but uh..... That's kinda an Ike thing..

kirbyslungspopnoiseDOA

Smash Rookie
for some reason i think the waifu crap would get in the way. he would end up like pokemon trainer- by the next game they want them to be changed to fit the most recent title. they will never be liked as they are.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I brought them up because as I said if you just made a regular sword-swinging moveset, that the same moveset could be used over any other character that uses a sword. And if that's the case, why should Chrom get in the game with a moveset that any other sword uses could've used?
Because apparently every sword user plays exactly the same and are forced to stay the same and it's impossible to have different attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom