• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
He doesn't.

Dthrow can setup for traps.

Uthrow/Dthrow on stages with platforms can setup tech chases at the right percentages.

Apparently you can Grab Release (Grounded) > Jab most of the cast. I don't know if it's actually a true combo or not, but some people are swearing by it, so you could try that. Jab can help set up for other moves, like Usmash/Down B.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
It's more of my own shortcomings that I need to deal with. After I went to an event, I found I had quite a few problems to overcome.

- I am terrified to attack on the ground. Other than the occasional dash or jab, I'm mostly in the air. This is inherently a problem, as if somebody shields an air attack, they can punish you good. But Yoshi has a workable ground game, so what's my problem? The grab. It's so slow and laggy. Lately, whenever I try to use it (or the tongue B), I get a lot of people sidestepping it. Even the pivot grab is punishable, but I have a hard time ever landing it. Lately though, I've been trying to incorporate the ground based ground pound into my arsenal for the shield breaks and surprise kills. I have a hard time hitting the smashes too.
- On the note of my ground game, I don't tilt as much as I should. I know his up and side tilts are good, but I never feel like I have a good opp. for the up tilt. The side tilt should be obvious, but I have a tech problem here. Often, I get too energized in a match that I accidentally break into a run when I should be walking. I had the same problem with short hops, but I'm getting better with that.
- I'm okay with his air moves... save the up air. I can never hit this thing. Most of the time, the dodge it. Maybe I'm too obvious.
- I frequently use side B when I mean to use Up B. Occasionally, I can make this work by getting the odd hit on an opponent, but against a character like Sheik, that's a free needle. This missed input is why I'm afraid to experiment with Yoshi's custom side Bs in an actual battle, as I'm afraid I'll kill myself or something.
- I have a hard time stringing combos (any list here?). I can sometimes low Fair into a side smash, but I think that requires a missed tech on the enemy's part.
- I don't think I'm optimizing his egg toss like I should, but that may come in time.
- I don't understand using Yoshi's tongue as an air momentum mechanism. I know that it's a thing, but I don't get how it works or how to use it.
- I can't perfect pivot. I actually don't know if I can, mostly because my left thumb might not have the reflex for it. idk yet.

Also, there aren't many people with a variety of people to practice with in my area to practice with. I guess I'll have to use the ladder.

Depster

Smash Champion
For up airs, try mixing them up with egg tosses. This can result in an up air if it hits and you're quick enough or cause them to dodge and you can up air them out of it. Also, this allows you to go straight for the up air sometimes as well if they're conditioned to wait for the egg toss.
For the egg lay momentum stuff, just research b-reversing and wavebouncing.
Everything else will come with experience and nerves as you play more I think.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
For up airs, try mixing them up with egg tosses.

For the egg lay momentum stuff, just research b-reversing and wavebouncing.
For the egg or u air, you mean when they're right above me?

I sort of knew about the b-reverse, but wavebouncing... I'll have to look into that. I can't remember what that is.

Is there a Yoshi player finder on this board? That's a ditto I need to work on too.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Because it's not actually a 100% thing.
For example a month or so ago I thought it was something mario couldn't act out of and the mod of the mario boards that lives in my city wanted to test it.
We found out somehow someway dtilt can beat Grab release > jab but any of his other moves can't for some reason despite some being obviously faster than his dtilt AND faster than Yoshi's jab.

It's weird.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Grab release>Jab? Why aren't people doing this if it works lol?

:018:
It works as a gimmick on people who haven't seen it before. It is not nearly 100% guaranteed. Some characters release too far (such as yoshi), others can react quickly with their own jab (fox, zss, etc.), while all pretty much can shield/dodge/roll as soon as they're released. It is a good mixup tool if the opponent is expecting to be thrown and can tack up decent damage from the release and jabs.

Got4n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dalil50
A lot of persons says he's going to get nerf for Lucas patch... Do you think he need to be nerfed?

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
1.This should be posted on the Yoshi Forums

2.If he's top tier to most people, then there's a good chance. Otherwise, Probably not

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I was wondering where all those posts were coming from lol
Yoshi wasn't nerfed at all previous patch, what makes people think he'll be nerfed in the lucas one?

Fuerzo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Erudites
We don't even know if there will be a Lucas patch.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
You need to patch the game to add new content.
So in a sense, there'll be a patch. It's more of if they add buffs/nerfs to more things. We still got the rumored Roy/ryu and then the smash ballot character left too.

Infinite DLC, INFINITE PATCHES.

Dpete

Carnifex
3DS FC
0834-1794-6801
Winnable, maybe, but the struggle to close out stocks was real against Vinnie. He had Sheik at 150%+ on their opening stocks of both matches, but then you have rage Sheik killing Yoshi at ~115%... Not fun.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
115% is a fine %, I'm just more concerned what tournament Raptor played against... Vinnie's sheik it seems?

Turns out it was an 0-2 with vinnie winning, that's definitely winnable then :^)

Last edited:

Physics

Smash Journeyman
NNID
anthonyarena
All in the title.
I'm a Captain Falcon main who wants to really work on the Yoshi MU.
If there is a good Yoshi main who wants to help me out or wants to work there Captain Falcon matchup PM me and we will work something out and hopefully become consistent sparring partners! Cheers!

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
You can post in the Yoshi social. Ive noticed though that posting in socials to battle doesnt really get you matches though.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
All in the title.
I'm a Captain Falcon main who wants to really work on the Yoshi MU.
If there is a good Yoshi main who wants to help me out or wants to work there Captain Falcon matchup PM me and we will work something out and hopefully become consistent sparring partners! Cheers!
Merged with the social thread.

I don't think many of us play Wifi. However, I think you could have some success looking here: http://smashboards.com/threads/gather-all-yoshis-skype-nnid-fc-directory.393330/#post-19330061

You could also ask around on Skype. I know we have some people that like to spar, although I can't remember who they are at hand. @ Sinister Slush Sinister Slush , could you pass on your sagely knowledge as overseer of the Yoshi chat?

Physics

Smash Journeyman
NNID
anthonyarena

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I don't think many play cause the most active members is me Yika and Slice after like 20+ hours of no messages we have mini convos then it deds for awhile cuz new skype update makes most messages for people not show up after hours.

Also I quit smash, for now at least until Lucas patch. Tired of losing games where people just have the better character and I have to outplay/try 3 times as harder to win compared to my opponents.
Among a lot of other things I might go into whenever I wake up on why I'm gonna quit persay, guess more of a long break.

Physics

Smash Journeyman
NNID
anthonyarena
I don't think many play cause the most active members is me Yika and Slice after like 20+ hours of no messages we have mini convos then it deds for awhile cuz new skype update makes most messages for people not show up after hours.

Also I quit smash, for now at least until Lucas patch. Tired of losing games where people just have the better character and I have to outplay/try 3 times as harder to win compared to my opponents.
Among a lot of other things I might go into whenever I wake up on why I'm gonna quit persay, guess more of a long break.
Who do you play in smash 4?

Physics

Smash Journeyman
NNID
anthonyarena
The Yoshi heads means I play Zelda.
okay well then you are playing a top tier character who is better than the vast majority of the cast. So the problem isn't that people have the better character all the time. LOL.

edit: actually according to these votes, Yoshi is at the top of the tier list right now. http://www.eventhubs.com/tiers/ssb4/

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
@ Physics Physics It's pretty largely agreed upon that Yoshi struggles hard against Sheik, and is at a disadvantage against Sonic and Diddy. This translates to fighting uphill battles against 90% of your tournament matches against people who matter. This makes playing Yoshi incredibly frustrating in a tournament setting.

Yoshi is also a noob-slayer, so if you're having THAT much trouble against him with a fast character (Falcon), you might need to step your game up. Yoshi DESTROYS players who don't have a good understanding of how the Neutral state plays out, and how his character's strengths can be used to win those interactions. I highly advise you take a look at Yoshi's frame data, so you can realize just how flawed he is.

http://smashboards.com/threads/yoshi-frame-and-misc-data-thread-wip.391441/

Physics

Smash Journeyman
NNID
anthonyarena
@ Physics Physics It's pretty largely agreed upon that Yoshi struggles hard against Sheik, and is at a disadvantage against Sonic and Diddy. This translates to fighting uphill battles against 90% of your tournament matches against people who matter. This makes playing Yoshi incredibly frustrating in a tournament setting.

Yoshi is also a noob-slayer, so if you're having THAT much trouble against him with a fast character (Falcon), you might need to step your game up. Yoshi DESTROYS players who don't have a good understanding of how the Neutral state plays out, and how his character's strengths can be used to win those interactions. I highly advise you take a look at Yoshi's frame data, so you can realize just how flawed he is.

http://smashboards.com/threads/yoshi-frame-and-misc-data-thread-wip.391441/
Okay Yoshi struggles versus Sheik, Diddy and Sonic, which I can understand. But apparently according the guy who has Yoshi faces but mains Zelda, there should be an additional minimum of 12 more cast members that wreck Yoshi.

I obviously know I have to step my game up if I am posting in the Yoshi forum asking for a Yoshi sparring partner to help me get better.. lol.
Every character has there flaws, apparently according to the current voted up tier list, Yoshi must be less Flawed than the other characters on that list. Even if the vote is skewed, it is still foolish to say Yoshi struggles against 15+ members of the cast. I understand where you are coming from, and I understand the reason Yoshi isn't winning any tournaments is because of Sheik, Diddy and Sonic. But that doesn't make Yoshi a bad character, far from it really.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Okay Yoshi struggles versus Sheik, Diddy and Sonic, which I can understand. But apparently according the guy who has Yoshi faces but mains Zelda
Oh you can't read sarcasm.
That was a joke.

If I really must name most of them, C.falcon, fox, ness (possibly lucas since he's a carbon copy of ness almost from brawl. who knows whenever he's dropped) Luigi, Mario, mii brawler, peach, pikachu, rob, rosalina, sheik, sonic, villager, Wario, ZSS
Now when I say better, I mostly mean they're better fit for the current meta/patch and do infinitely better than Yoshi in both customs on and off environment.

Every character has there flaws, apparently according to the current voted up tier list, Yoshi must be less Flawed than the other characters on that list. Even if the vote is skewed, it is still foolish to say Yoshi struggles against 15+ members of the cast. But that doesn't make Yoshi a bad character, far from it really.
Dunno what voted tier list you're talking about. But either one being browny or reddit, do not think that's even 1% correct at all please....
Also Yoshi struggles against pretty much anything that isn't a gigantic character cause he has a bad neutral. Not 100% sure someone that just recently joined snoreboreds should be saying they know the definitive factor of Yoshi mains not doing well.

He was probably referring to my set against Neo.
Weird, didn't he switch characters.

Last edited:

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
Yep. He did better as Lucina. Honestly, the Sheik mu isn't terrible. I'd say Sheik wins 60-40 at most. It's just a frustrating mu and you kinda have to accept the fact that like 80% of your hits will be trades when played correctly . You need to not get grabbed anywhere from 90-120~% and Sheik literally doesn't have any reliable way of killing you. Rage actually works in our favor in this mu unlike most of our other mu's. Also I play Vinnie a lot and there's definitely a lot more I can be improving on in the mu. I made a lot of silly mistakes that set that got me killed so yeah back to the lab lol.

Physics, Yoshi is not a top tier character. He is good but people are overrating him atm. When people start to learn the mu you'll see.

Top Bottom