• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
I just did a meteor smash with Yoshi for the first time (on purpose) and I feel awesome. I don't think I've ever purposefully meteor smashed someone before. I even saved the replay. First tilts and now a meteor smash - I feel like I've advanced more in the past few months than I have in years. I'm still bad, of course, but it's so exciting to do new things.

I still have so much to learn about Yoshi, but I love playing as him. I think I ran into a Yoshi ditto once - it seems news of Yoshi's awesome new status has not yet reached For Glory.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Man I need more exp on delfino, that early kill messed me up. We actually play a lot on 3ds and only now we can get it on the tourney stream. Sheesh

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
So, I dropped my spaghetti all over the place yesterday when I was doing some For Glory matches, and suddenly "aMSa" came up.

I was like, NOPE, NOT HAPPENING, and when the match started, it was a Yoshi.

Then I won with Ganondorf twice and they rage-quit, so I'm PRETTY SURE it wasn't aMSa. Not to mention, there was hardly any lag, which implies it was someone local.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
They hit me with a sick double-Fair off the ledge pretty much immediately, so at first I was like, **** IT'S TOTALLY AMSA. But no, it was an impostor.

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
So, I dropped my spaghetti all over the place yesterday when I was doing some For Glory matches, and suddenly "aMSa" came up.

I was like, NOPE, NOT HAPPENING, and when the match started, it was a Yoshi.

Then I won with Ganondorf twice and they rage-quit, so I'm PRETTY SURE it wasn't aMSa. Not to mention, there was hardly any lag, which implies it was someone local.
Doesn't aMSa use Greninja in Sm4sh? Or only in tournaments?

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Doesn't aMSa use Greninja in Sm4sh? Or only in tournaments?
Yeah, aMSa seems to be primarily using Greninja now, though I saw him use Yoshi once on the 3DS. I'd like to see more matches of him with both characters.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
That would've been hype. Rip Spaghetti. :c

Similar story, I found this guy called "FC2king" with a M2K Mii once, I was thinking "maybe this is his wifi acount?0_o" but I got a 0% egg lay death on them so that kinda confirmed otherwise lol.
Imposters are everywhere.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Man what is with wifi people anyways, I usually find bad people that're so stubborn they'll accept an hour of me beating them with Shulk/Greninja (been using them lately for just practicing in friendlies cuz only other two characters I been enjoying).
Though sometimes when I lose and go straight to yoshi and beat em with Yoshi 5 or so times, they'll eventually try Yoshi ditto and either lose or win once and leave.

I'm more of confused with people leaving after they try a Yoshi ditto, I barely try and allow them to toss out 50 aerials in one full hop and have half of em hit me.

Teve31

Smash Rookie
NNID
teve31
hello yoshi's! I need some friendly advice from all you yoshi players out there. I am not a yoshi player although i have an extremely hard time against him. I play as robin and in most if not all matches i play against a yoshi i lose. Most yoshi's i run into spam up b not allowing me to charge my thunder, i also cant cast my fire because it takes so long to come out yoshi either comes up and hits me or continues throwing those eggs. After that i run in to do close combat and yoshi either backs up and throws more eggs or he throws out his down air. As a fellow smash player please help me, what is your alls weakness how do i get past a wall of eggs... how am i able to defeat a good yoshi?

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Man what is with wifi people anyways, I usually find bad people that're so stubborn they'll accept an hour of me beating them with Shulk/Greninja (been using them lately for just practicing in friendlies cuz only other two characters I been enjoying).
Though sometimes when I lose and go straight to yoshi and beat em with Yoshi 5 or so times, they'll eventually try Yoshi ditto and either lose or win once and leave.

I'm more of confused with people leaving after they try a Yoshi ditto, I barely try and allow them to toss out 50 aerials in one full hop and have half of em hit me.
Try mostly playing Ganondorf on For Glory. I can now accurately predict the psychology of 80% of the people I run into, and it boils down to this:

1. Lose
2. Get salty
3. Switch to Link, because apparently every person on earth thinks Ganondorf automatically loses to projectile spam
4. Lose again
5. Quit

EDIT: If we're talking about running into good people on Wifi randomly, I once spent like 3 hours playing who I'm PRETTY SURE was Dabuz. At least, they were called Dabuz, they played Rosalina and Olimar, and they were really good.

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
hello yoshi's! I need some friendly advice from all you yoshi players out there. I am not a yoshi player although i have an extremely hard time against him. I play as robin and in most if not all matches i play against a yoshi i lose. Most yoshi's i run into spam up b not allowing me to charge my thunder, i also cant cast my fire because it takes so long to come out yoshi either comes up and hits me or continues throwing those eggs. After that i run in to do close combat and yoshi either backs up and throws more eggs or he throws out his down air. As a fellow smash player please help me, what is your alls weakness how do i get past a wall of eggs... how am i able to defeat a good yoshi?
I'm not sure how Robin handles Yoshi due to his lack of movement speed. You could always try just powershielding eggs and charging thunder between shields, but I doubt that's too worthwhile because of the long charge time. It might be worth accepting the use of just Thunder/Elthunder to force interrupts in the camping.

Your issues with Elfire seem to be with getting read. Don't be too predictable in neutral, and rather try to use the threat of Elfire to cause some response. In all honesty, I don't think the move is that great against Yoshi unless you've already got the advantage and can use it to trap your opponent once again due to its speed.

If you're forcing Yoshi to run away when you approach, you've won stage control, which is great. Keep going and force him to the edge. If he Dairs at you, counter with your own move. Yoshi's dair lacks horizontal range, so you should definitely be able to beat it out with one of your own aerials.

Also, theorycrafting the match up, it seems to me like Robin will really struggle with getting anything going on Yoshi. You'll need to really get the most out of any of your punishes, so practice up. Levin Sword is pretty strong, so don't worry too much about being behind in percent!

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Try mostly playing Ganondorf on For Glory. I can now accurately predict the psychology of 80% of the people I run into, and it boils down to this:

1. Lose
2. Get salty
3. Switch to Link, because apparently every person on earth thinks Ganondorf automatically loses to projectile spam
4. Lose again
5. Quit

EDIT: If we're talking about running into good people on Wifi randomly, I once spent like 3 hours playing who I'm PRETTY SURE was Dabuz. At least, they were called Dabuz, they played Rosalina and Olimar, and they were really good.
Usually instead of Link people are going to other projectile characters like villager dhd and megaman for me. (since shulk has problems against people with projectiles)

Also it prolly was Dabuz, tbh you never know though.
Also, theorycrafting the match up, it seems to me like Robin will really struggle with getting anything going on Yoshi. You'll need to really get the most out of any of your punishes, so practice up. Levin Sword is pretty strong, so don't worry too much about being behind in percent!
It's because Robin is kinda slow and a slightly bad character. When it comes to people like Trela or Nairo doing well with him/her I commend them greatly.
Like honestly Yoshi is just too fast and mobile for Robin to handle.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I didn't want to be too harsh in my assessment because I lack practical experience and have seen Robin do amazing things, but perhaps those players are just that good.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Got obliterated by an insane Luigi today. I do NOT know how to avoid those ridiculous dthrow chains.
Luigi still retains his nasty combo game from brawl. His cyclone also got buffed and can easily gimp as well to unsuspecting players. I guess you could try DI away, but the fair strings and Utilt still connect usually whenever I face one.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
It's so easy for Luigi to catch people off guard, you end up thinking the MU will be easy when it's not.
Know this sounds funny but have you tried double jumping away? Also I'd ETS away from him if you feel like he's going for a grab. Any inpact on his shield sends him sliding away too far to shieldgrab so perhaps give that a try.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
I feel like I tried everything to get out of it. He could just improvise with ridiculous 50% strings.

I played mostly Ganondorf though, and it just made me hate Smash haha

Last edited:

ividal

Smash Cadet
i think its next to impossible to get out of the strings, at least DI out of the grab but i really can't think of something else

wm1026

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, how's it going? I love yoshi and I've been practicing him a lot, but I would like to start to pick up a secondary. Any idea what would fit with yoshi? I would like to be able to go way of stage for a gimp/kill, and still be able to get back somewhat safe. A projectile would be nice too.

wm1026

Smash Cadet
Sheik might work well for you. She can go pretty deep with bouncing fish, and she's got needles!
yeah i was looking at her. i have gotten it down to her, pikachu, pacman, and olimar. I'll put some more time into shiek. thanks :)

Scatz

Smash Champion
This is worse than a worst case scenario. Tons of blame to go at the hotel for letting this happen, but I thoroughly hate the fact that Apex is ran during one of the worst times in a year (or rather, location for the current weather circumstances)...

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
According to my mom, that area of NJ didn't even get hit hard by the recent storm, and weather there is usually tame. Sure, we get snow and stuff, but there's usually nothing wrong except people freaking out cuz snow.

Storms impacting flights is another thing, though. Traveling in winter can be hard.

Scatz

Smash Champion
It's a bigger problem when you fly into the places constantly being hit by snow... Not saying NJ is a terrible place, but at this time of the year, it isn't (shouldn't) be ideal...

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Nah, I can agree. We don't even get snow that often usually, but it really should be in a warmer place, or at a warmer time.

I haven't liked Apex since 2012, but I really hope something gets resolved. This really sucks for a lot of people.

Top Bottom