• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi General Discussion Thread!!

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Hey how would yoshi do in teams? I would think he would be pretty bad because of his grabs, he couldn't easily be saved by his team mate, he couldn't easily save his team mate other than maybe the egg, and he just doesn't seem like he could do anything important in teams.

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
He's not too bad in teams, he's an ok supporter, can hold stocks pretty well, and his combo's, low trajectory moves and upsmash are quite good in teams.
I think Yoshi performs best coupled with a fox or a peach. Dtilt to dsmash is pretty **** with peach, and she can cover the edge pretty well and Yoshi the air.
Fox is good with everyone pretty much and lets you play a more supportive role (as I'm saying this I realise I play another character much more in teams though lol).

Never pick Yoshi against a team with spacies though, you're gonna get **** on all over the place.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I think Yoshi is actually pretty not-okay in teams.

However, if you play with a teammate that is truly a teams player, you will notice that Yoshi is actually good at saving and can be saved, but by a medicore group of characters and not everyone.

Grabbing is bad in teams, so I don't necessarily think that plays to Yoshi's disadvantage.

The big part is that he's easy to hit and his defensive game is slow, which is something that is easier to overcome in singles. If you get hit in teams, chances are the opposing team can proceed to team combo you while keeping your teammate in check or at least make it difficult for them to help. Yoshi's defensive game takes time and needs plenty of "personal space" as well. If you've got multiple people harassing you, it's much more difficult to prepare defensive strats and react to multiple attacks with powershields, lightshields, and supershields, depending on the situation, which you will likely have a tougher time reading into as fully as you might have to in order to be effective.

Yoshi partnered with a decently fast character is GREAT against high, low, and bottom tier teams. Top and mid are kinda difficult, though; the matchups are bad and these two tiers house most of the best team combo characters in the game, which makes life difficult. Other than that, he's not terrible, but I wouldn't choose him first.

If you like to play Yoshi and want to do well in teams, play Peach or Zelda. They hit slightly softer on average, but KO more reliably, faster, and are better overall team characters. Zelda, especially, since she gives you two moves to use and lets you focus more on the game and less on your character.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
I team up with a Ganondorf player on occasion. We haven't done many serious team tournaments lately, but sometimes we just throw everyone's name into a hat and draw random teams for fun.

I think ganon and yoshi can make a pretty decent team, both are fairly heavy meaning you can possibly out tank the other team. If you accidentally hit ganon with eggs it doesn't screw him up that bad. Ganon seems to be getting a bit more attention recently, and can put up a fair fight against most of the top tier cast.

When I play teams I try as hard as possible to support my team mate (which probably means throwing an egg) to set up openings or bailing him out when he needs help. In my experience, I've had best results teaming with ganon, then falcon, followed by spacies, and maybe marth last... I haven't teamed with any peach players yet.

<Shameful self-plug>

Loser's Finals
Match 1
Match 2

Grand Finals
Match 1
Match 2
Match 3

Shiri

Smash Chump
sometimes we just throw everyone's name into a hat and draw random teams for fun.
:yoshi: In the area where I used to host tournaments, teams used to be fun.

People started getting prideful about winning instead of getting fundamentally better at teams, so that kind of idea which would have thrived originally, definitely died. When I read that, I was like, "Wow, wish I could have done that a few years ago."

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
yeah people are to deep in some cases it shouldn't be like I got a grab now I chain throw them to death. maybe if you are losing or if your at a huge disadvance like ice climbers vs peach.

Winnar

Smash Lord
yeah people are to deep in some cases it shouldn't be like I got a grab now I chain throw them to death. maybe if you are losing or if your at a huge disadvance like ice climbers vs peach.

Yeah I don't think Yoshi is all that good in teams. He can do some kind of alright things but generally...I get pretty wrecked.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Who was that one dark blue Yoshi that used to play with SDM in teams?

I forget.

He was pretty alright, though.

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure that's Seanson yeah, he's SDM's brother I've read somewhere.
It's funny how you remember a Yoshi by his color and not his name Shiri :p

All you guys are mad underrating Yoshi in teams lol
I've taken matches from Adam/Amsah (double sheik) and Faab/Zgetto (fox/falco), arguably the best teams in Europe (... with Armada/Aniolas of course), teaming with Remen, a really good fox player from the Netherlands.
You just need very good coordination with your teampartner, on game with your gimps/combos and try to avoid 2v1 situations as much as possible (I've been z2d multiple times by faab and zgetto without any chance to retaliate, its so horrible xD). Yoshi has enough speed to help out his partner and follow up on his setups, dtilt and upsmash become so much more valuable in teamplay.

Yoshi ain't no Peach, but you're all making him sound like... Bowser or something :psycho:

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Bowser sucks. Real talk.

Also, yes, it's Seanson.

I dunno like, I can agree that Yoshi has a place in teams, but there are certain character where I just would not risk all the effort and work that goes into a Yoshi team. I've done that at tournaments before and dropping game one in a teams set can be a real downer. I would rather CP with him, honestly, because he can do that in teams and not be afraid terribly much.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
Ok i finally beat my friends marth tonight. i gave him intense trouble and gimped him twice with the dtilt. i loved it!! im actually considering using yoshi against all marths rather than shiek. BUT i did have some rather bad aerial problems. in the air i was pretty much useless. is the dair any good for protecting myself on the way to the ground?? and what stage is best to play on. i had success on BF.

Winnar

Smash Lord
The best active yoshi player or the best yoshi player ever?

fumi for latter

no clue for former

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
people probably won't like me for saying it but fumi is overrated :laugh:
svampen definitely for best yoshi (although he's moved on to top tiers), he's one of the few that has actually beaten good players, even getting EK to say yoshi counters marth :laugh: gabe has as well I think but metagame has changed too much since his time.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
Metagame has changed so much over the past few years and it's left most of the low tiers in the dust.

:sad:

I used to say Fumi was pretty overrated, but there's not much else that I've seen that was on that same level of tenacity.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
Mind Trick, I think that tech skill with low tiers is the way metagame will evolve for them. Your tech skill creates intense speed and pressure making spacing and contol(the bread&butter of the top tiers) extremely difficult. the only real difference between the tiers is the ability to kill and combo(the ability to control the match). the low tiers have a harder time with control since their moves are either slow, weak or have poor priority or knockback. Its going to take serious study of the lower tiers to make new combos and make new ways of maintaining control.

Winnar

Smash Lord
people probably won't like me for saying it but fumi is overrated :laugh:
svampen definitely for best yoshi (although he's moved on to top tiers), he's one of the few that has actually beaten good players, even getting EK to say yoshi counters marth :laugh: gabe has as well I think but metagame has changed too much since his time.
I dunno I disagree with the overrated part. I went back and watched some fumi matches...yeah that dude is crazy. I thought at one point he beat Ken?

He's the sole reason I got into playing yoshi O: (I am a little biased because of this)

Also all those other yoshi players you mentioned are super beast as well :D

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
I dunno I disagree with the overrated part. I went back and watched some fumi matches...yeah that dude is crazy. I thought at one point he beat Ken?

He's the sole reason I got into playing yoshi O: (I am a little biased because of this)

Also all those other yoshi players you mentioned are super beast as well :D
He's crazy technical and very creative, especially for his time, but he's never beaten top players from japan afaik, also pretty sure he's never played/beaten ken.
Svampen has taken matches from amazing players such as CJ, Remen and EK, just off the top of my head.

Yoshi would be high tier with jump OoS and more range/speed on shieldgrab :embarrass

Bloshi

Smash Ace
Just jump out of shield really. I get grabs off all the time now that I actually use them. You just can't spam it or anything lol.

Also to answer the post about yoshi vs marth above:

This matchup is gay. gaygaygaygaygay. You just have to outgay marth (which some say is impossible). Basically Don't go near the edge unless you're edgeguarding. Marths love edges. A good marth with just throw you off the ledge and tipper away your second jump when you jump back, leaving you to fall to your doom at 20%. gay. Maneuver around marths sword range when recovering, and charge in close to him when he least expects it (like when he is in tipper range and expects you to go defensive). Use the fsmash pullback on attacks that aren't marth's fsmash, unless the fsmash is obvious. Most marths will catch onto the trick quickly, because it hurts a lot. dair is no good for protecting yourself, but it is good for quickly catching a marth approaching from the air, and will lead to more hits. Basically this matchup is all about interrupting his spacing quickly, and then getting the hell out as soon as he gest a foothold again. Just don't let him control the stage, whatever you do. Don't be on platforms above him, unless the platforms are really high above him. Just find a way to get in, basically, and do some damage. Fox is a lot like this too, except he is more comboable.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
Mind Trick, I think that tech skill with low tiers is the way metagame will evolve for them. Your tech skill creates intense speed and pressure making spacing and contol(the bread&butter of the top tiers) extremely difficult. the only real difference between the tiers is the ability to kill and combo(the ability to control the match). the low tiers have a harder time with control since their moves are either slow, weak or have poor priority or knockback. Its going to take serious study of the lower tiers to make new combos and make new ways of maintaining control.
what do you guys think of this?

Bloshi

Smash Ace
That list would be too long and too riddled with errors. Smash is so situational its hard to say what will work after what moves if the starting move isn't a grab.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
Questions
1) Im having problems against fast characters-cfalcon,fox,falco-if i could get advice against the FFers thatd be great. I think the biggest problem is that im not fast enough but idk.
2) Peach...still no progress on this fight. should i play this ultra campy? just egg and then wait for a usmash or something?

I wrote all this and i was like "i bet theyre wondering what cahracter i am good against" that would be marth. I usually win that fight, although its close. thats actaully the main reason i play yoshi (besides him being the most fun) he does real well against that bull**** sword

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
for 1... pick another character lol
try to get them off stage asap, don't use eggs unless ECE, stay above falco's lasers or get really good at powershielding them, know what moves you can CC, be on game with your combo's, vs spacies you got a lot of options to start things, vs falcon try to get some tilts in on him and generally move as fast as you can :D. all three can be hell though.

for 2:
eggs are really good against peach, most peaches aren't really used to the trajectory of eggs, mostly try to keep her in the air, if you come from below with eggs, upairs, upsmashes she got nothing really. watch out with shield pressure, she's really quick with nair, and when djcing watch out for her fair, that crown hurts. FD, PS, YS are my fave picks against her. Oh, and don't try to CC her float cancels.

Winnar

Smash Lord
lol i cced an entire dsmash from her last night...then i quit... no not really i just hate that stupid move.

What stages are good against spacies?
lmao I did the same thing not three days ago.

I CC'd an entire peach dsmash as yoshi on PS1 (we were in the tree WHAT WAS I THINKING). I took 70% and just decided to keep holding down. another 90% later I finally fly out of the tree to my death.

It was pretty funny XD

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
What stages are good against spacies?
In general I think Dreamland 64 is the best against spacies mainly because of the high ceiling. Since ideally your kills in this matchup are going to be off stage gimps, you don't have to worry about this. Since Fox's shine doesn't gimp, he will be trying to land uair/usmash kills. I'd like to think that the platforms on this stage are spaced such that it gives you a better chance of escaping pillar combos against falco (as opposed to closer platforms on YS/BF, or stages with no platforms).

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
that makes since. im going to a tournament it STL on the 31st and yoshi will be my secondary if my main cant win so i need to brush up!!

Bloshi how did P4 go??

D1

Banned via Administration
I'm back to using this sexy dino again! I can't wait to see what's in store with this guy ever since I took a long break.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I'll be using Yoshi too. I'm terrible with him right now but I think I can get pritty decent.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Does anyone want to tell me how to beat stupid *** falco...the Laser....it destroys everything. I have to have platforms or i lose always.
Try to incorporate powershielding into your game.

Lightshield when he's shield pressuring you. You'll slide away to safety.

Make every hit count. Dash attack, nair, and dsmash are your bread and butter in this match-up.

Top Bottom