• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Y. Link Match Up Discussion. Ask Questions Here!

rhan

Smash Hero
Well I'm challenging Dark Hart to Zelda v Young Link.

I will show you guys why Zelda isn't good.

IYM!

Smash Lord
hello guys

i want do a little question...

i am a link main... so i pick Ylink as my fourth character (link, ganon, samus, YLink)

play with him is simillar to play with link, with few diferent things like better spaming more speed an other kind of stuff

my question is, which are the best kill moves than YLink have in the ground and in the air??

he have the Dsmash on the ground and Dair on the air... but nothing more?, he have another kill move than i dont know??

rhan

Smash Hero
Main kill moves of each character.

Link:
-Up B (Grounded)
-F-Smash
-Dair
-Nair
-Fair (Is stronger then Nair but harder to time)

Young Link:
-D-Smash
-Dair
-Nair
-Dash Attack
-Fair (Is stronger then Nair but harder to time)

They may seem similar but they are VERY different from one another. Young Link's Dash Attack is very good at knocking people off the stage and setting up for a simple edge guard (AKA Nair). Link doesn't need to be all that projectile spammy. He mainly is about having the opponent come to him all the time. Using his projectiles to poke at the opponent. While Young Link is about having the opponent chase him around while pummeling him with projectile. Also Link's most a ground character while Young Link can work both ground and the air (due to his speed).

Side note: I'll either do that webcam Q&A either Saturday or Sunday for about half an hour or so. PM me questions tonight and I'll try to answer them as detailed as possible. And the questions can be about anything.

rhan

Smash Hero
It does but it's more like hitting them off the stage and they're either able to recover unless you edge guard them or they're DI sucked and they barely missed the edge.

PeachEater74

Smash Apprentice
The hilt is the handle where Yink holds the sword. The hitbox for the attack is around that general area, but it's fairly small and pretty impractical. If anything it's best to try to avoid hitting that when you're on stage, because the firespike can prevent kills if you're going for a Dair finisher. Though it looks pretty good when you manage to meteor smash someone with it.

PeachEater74

Smash Apprentice
YLinks dair is the s*** if you can kill someone with it. Ive rarely managed to do so. Its very hard to pull off.
Like I said, if you manage to meteor smash someone with it it's super cool, however, more times than not, it's pretty useless. My biggest problem with it is that there have been times when a move should have ko'd but didn't because the Dair sent them back onto the stage as a firespike instead of sending them up and koing them. There have also been a few times where I've managed to pull it off as a means of a meteor smash for a kill, but the person meteor canceled it.

rhan

Smash Hero
It's more likely for a floaty to MC it. But it's kinda surprising to even pull it off in the first place. So if they do actually MC it then it's either by luck or they know Young Link's ability.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
xD hmm, prolly.

I mean, I did go 24 hours with no food, I was feeling pretty ****ty at this tourney lol.

rhan

Smash Hero
It kinda is. Cuz whenever I try for it I either just hit them with the dair and whenever I try for just hitting them with the dair to kill them I flame spike.

I never really try to plan out a flame spikes now. They just happen.

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
*waves*

HEY RHAN! OCEAN! CHIVAL!

I've been considering playing Ylink a lot more nowadays. Which means I'll be playing IC, GaW/Ylink instead of IC, GaW/Peach.

Possibly because everytime I play smash nowadays, I play with items.

If I get my DVD recorder back from my friend, I'll probably put new vids up.

Oh yeah, looooooove Ylink in teams. <3

I wish he could randomly pull bob-ombs.

Or better yet, Bigoron's Sword! O_O

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
god chris that was the gayest first post i've ever seen

firespiking is not useless, you're just bad at finding a use for it

rhan

Smash Hero
It's more about them being unexpected then useless. Cuz they can have positive and negative effects.

Example (Negative): Auto combo on Marth is Utilt to Dair. The Dair flame spikes instead of K.O.'s. I get punished for something that wasn't in my control.

Example (Positive): Reading Fox/Falco's recovery. You do a rising Dair to hit him. Instead it flame spikes and K.O.'s.

The only time I believe a flame spike is in your control is when they're trying to make the edge from falling from above and you edge hop dair flame or when it's YS and you high hop or short hop flame off the platforms.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
except it IS in your control.

firespiking comes down to how you space dair. don't want to fire spike? then don't go in from the bottom, go in softly from the side, or above. instead of uptilting and immediately jumping up and dairing, dashdance really quickly to move that hitbox away. do want to firespike? go in from the bottom, or hard from the side. this is obviously much harder than avoiding firespiking; it comes down to predicting their trajectory and knowing your own.

rhan

Smash Hero
The thing is, they can escape from the auto combo is you don't follow up immediately. So it's either do something else or get ****ed up. And it's not really that reliable to predict. Which is why I never plan it anymore.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
that is true. so just uair instead if you really need to avoid it.
I can generally always predict when I will or will not firespike. not reliabe for you =! not reliable for others.

PeachEater74

Smash Apprentice
that is true. so just uair instead if you really need to avoid it.
I can generally always predict when I will or will not firespike. not reliabe for you =! not reliable for others.
Usually I'd be using dair in that situation to kill because usair couldn't do the job. I mean it wouldn't be too difficult to juggle them, but the situation rhan described is exactly why I don't like firespike too much (combos that lead into dair). And Young Link isn't the character I can be okay with when I've got a lead, so I'm not going to risk a stock in an attempt to meteor smash them.

Personally I feel like it hinders the way he plays more than it helps, but that's just me.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
ylink is hella good in teams. I somehow became the stock tank for my teammate...and he was samus! lol funny how that works. I've decided that shffle nair is the best thing against falcon. bombs are too slow. and the rang gets naired thru. fox is a *****. also now that im back at college i will have more smash/boards time so ill be commenting MOAR! I've missed the ylink boards.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Yeah, Ylink is a great stock tank in teams. He's hard to kill since he's so ****ing nimble and his projectiles are great in teams.

Fox/YLink is pretty balling.

Laijin

Smash Hero
YL in teams: Better make sure you're partner is good at killing cause good luck getting any kills. He can rack up damage really well and support by stock tanking. Think of him as a support character in teams

legion598

Smash Ace
he has good saves: bombs pull allies towards stage, arrow brings em up. Bair is low knock back. Im not good at teams tho lol.

Thought of something interesting, proper DI to survive Dair in most cases is away. If they DI properly they will most likely not be able to meteor and if they meteor they will DI up which is terrible to do on Dair if the spike doesnt hit.

I cant seem to get the proper timing for fire spikes above stage> FF at their missed tech to get them with the later hit box. Also wondering if u can do this fast enough to punish the missed tech without them getting up

Top Bottom