• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Y. Link Match Up Discussion. Ask Questions Here!

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Dude... man... this is tough...:mad: Yoshi was easier to learn than Young Link.... :mad: ><; I can't combo like.... anything..:( I'm trying so hard tho... *continues to train*

Help me out guys! i want a good Young link! :mad::)

Laijin

Smash Hero
Dude... man... this is tough...:mad: Yoshi was easier to learn than Young Link.... :mad: ><; I can't combo like.... anything..:( I'm trying so hard tho... *continues to train*

Quick tips:

Combo floaties and fatties with n-air

Combo fast fallers with u-air.

vs Samus. Out camp her. Don't approach without a bomb unless shes in the air. Her Crouch Canceling is very annoying.

PeachEater74

Smash Apprentice
Quick tips:

Combo floaties and fatties with n-air

Combo fast fallers with u-air.

vs Samus. Out camp her. Don't approach without a bomb unless shes in the air. Her Crouch Canceling is very annoying.
Thanks, I'll definitely try this out. There's a tourney tomorrow I can definitely get practice at.

rhan

Smash Hero

I don't believe that. Yoshi looks complicated as hell. @_@

But yeah it's mainly projectile combos. Young Link should be played in a more campy play style. The auto combos are like:

Bomb - > Dair/Uair/Nair
Boomerang angled up -> Dair/Uair/Nair

Laijin

Smash Hero
I don't believe that. Yoshi looks complicated as hell. @_@

But yeah it's mainly projectile combos. Young Link should be played in a more campy play style. The auto combos are like:

Bomb - > Dair/Uair/Nair
Boomerang angled up -> Dair/Uair/Nair
Think of his projectiles as a safe setup.
If you rush in without projectiles you can do the following for BnBs:

Against Fast Fallers:
u-smash -> u-smash(if they don't DI correctly. Most people don't).
u-air -> u-air(if you're on a platform, you can u-air a few more times for extra **** by performing a u-air as you drop through the platform. This will send them upwards, but still close to the platform to perform another u-air as you're jumping up towards them again. Its pretty **** if you do it right).
d-air(bounce three times on them with one d-air at low %s) -> u-air.
n-air ***** all fast fallers recoveries.
u-air -> d-air

Against Medium Weight(YL, Sheik, etc)
u-throw -> u-air
n-air -> n-air
u-air -> d-air

Against Floaties:
n-air -> n-air -> n-air(you can keep doing more n-airs until they are off the stage or perform a d-air or u-air for a finish)
n-air them while they are short hopping -> grab
u-throw -> u-air

rhan

Smash Hero
Everything Laijin just said.

Also I found out how to work my Dazzle. I recorded matches of my Young Link and a bunch of others. I may start a live stream for a smashfest this Friday.

I also might start a livestream and and answer questions from my fellow Young Link's (MAYBE! I'm not a very talkative person... lmao).

rhan

Smash Hero
I'm pretty much booked this weekend for Smash too.

There's a Smashfest with the best player/Marth in our area Friday and G6 is on Saturday (If Shaeman drives us up there..).

I'll have videos up sometime then too. Cuz I don't really get off work until Thursday morning. And I'll probably sleep until Friday in the early hours.

rhan

Smash Hero
Meh. If Tope wants to claim SoVA then yeah. But Richmond is really the middle of Eastern VA. He could be either NoVA or SoVa.

But yeah if that is the case Tope is best. Ether follows behind him. Then it's The_Doug or Shaeman.

PeachEater74

Smash Apprentice
Everything Laijin just said.

Also I found out how to work my Dazzle. I recorded matches of my Young Link and a bunch of others. I may start a live stream for a smashfest this Friday.

I also might start a livestream and and answer questions from my fellow Young Link's (MAYBE! I'm not a very talkative person... lmao).
This would be super awesome. I'm essentially just getting into the tournament scene (as of now I've only practiced against some friends and cpus) so it would be cool to get some tips, especially since there's a smashfest this weekend as well by me.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
I have a difficult time on FD in doubles, at least for the first one or two stocks, then I adjust to the stage. It's easier to play the stage in doubles, but it's still an excellent stage to counterpick against young link.

rhan

Smash Hero
What are you using the stream for?
Cuz I finally got my Dazzle working which means I can have livestreams up a tourneys. AKA this weekend at G6.

Also can possibly get the Young Link boards a little more active by having discussions and such. Idfk. I'm just throwing out ideas.

I also play SC2 on a regular basis and will probably have that up there often.

And I play Halo 3/Reach.

My livestream is for multipurpose really.

whoring himself out
I can always do a strip tease. I'm pretty good at that.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I would talk about Young Link more, but he's such a silly character. Either he runs away all day, and it works, or he plays against Falcon/Fox, gets rushed/shut down and dies a miserable death.

rhan

Smash Hero
Playing against Falcon/Fox is the most fun. Because in those match-up you rely less on camping and more on actual fighting. lmao

Falcon is fairly simple to play against. You just have to avoid getting grabbed because once that happens pretty much that's your stock. Nair beats/trades with everything but his Uair. Bombs help keep him at bay. And Uair combos galore. Falcon is most fun. <3

rhan

Smash Hero
Usually you don't approach with it. It's like a reaction kind of move. Like when you see Falcon full charge and you know he;s going to SHFFL some aerial towards you just throw out your nair.

Most of the time you still want to do projectile auto combos like bomb -> dair/uair/nair.

Nair I believe can also shield pierce Falcon/Ganon so if you nair on his shield if it's small enough the move will connect. D-Smash also has that shield piercing ability. I can't really remember at the moment.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
A good Falcon won't running SH much. It's all about running shield/run -> wd in place.

Anyway, YL's d-smash isn't that useful in the matchup because stomp counters it clean.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Actually JoeRuse, YL's n-air comes out faster than his stomp. Besides, bombs eat everything he does. If he shields, just re grab the bomb and throw it again. The only character to my knowledge that has options to stop YL from his recycle bomb spam is Bowser(and maybe DK if their smart).

rhan

Smash Hero
ledge canceled nair to firespike

Hahahahahaha I just read this.

My little bro edge canceled a flame spike dair.

On FD.

And killed.

Shyyt should have been on video.

Ask Shaeman about it. Poor Mewtwo...

rhan

Smash Hero
You should have a bomb on you anyway. Cuz Falcon has no projectile. 2 things with this:

-You have 2 good multi-use projectiles and one for when you're being edgegaurded.
-Since he has no projectile your standing sheild is useless and won't be needed (Even if the opponent is like Samus you're standing shield isn't reliable because after about 3 seconds YL goes ADD and looks away).

I don't have any matches against a Falcon recorded or at least I don't think but I got a shyyt ton of Ganon v YL. It's pretty much the same minus the fact that Ganon is slow. It's still the same kind of strat. I'll upload those now as a reference.

Edit: I do have a Falcon match. But it's just 1. I'll throw that in there.

Rhan v C-Stick (Ganon) 1
Rhan v C-Stick (Ganon) 2
Rhan v C-Stick (Ganon) 3

Rhan v Shaeman (Falcon)

rhan

Smash Hero
As soon as YL reaches his hand to grab a bomb he has it equipped. Even if he's unable to use it for a few frames it IS there. And if YL gets hit with a strong enough move that causes enough knock back he automatically drops the bomb (There might be a % tagged a long with this but I have realised whenever Young Link is holding a bomb and Sheik fairs him, he tends to drop it upon contact). That's like a character flaw I suppose.

Also video links in my previous post.

PeachEater74

Smash Apprentice
I don't think it'd be too difficult to get a bomb out. Just throw a boomerang or something while receding to pull a bomb, or even while he's stunned by a current bomb, either one would work fairly well.

Laijin

Smash Hero
The challenge is set. I I just challenged Kaostar to a minimum $50 mm.
I'm gonna teach you guys a little something about Mewtwo vs Young Link and how you should never, ever lose this match up

Top Bottom