• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Y is luigi low tier?...

Blea Gelo

Smash Lord
ok, i understand that luigi dies fast, is easy to edge guard, he isnt pretty strong, but, there are points that makes him a good character. He recovers fast as hell, he's comboable ability is sick, he has a sick usmash, he's dodge is pretty fast. I think he should be mid tier..

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
well, the tier system is based upon tournament results. Since not that many tournies are won by luigi compared to the marths/falcos/foxes/sheiks/peaches/etc, he is placed lower.

Also, the dying quickly/ easy edgeguarding points kind of answer your question.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
If there was a tier list based off the tournament results in Washington, Luigi would be top tier. XD

It's not a big deal. He's only like what? 1 spot under medium tier? That only gives Luigi players the opportunity to **** in Singles and Low Tier tournaments.

fun fact: Luigi is banned in low tier tournaments in Washington xD

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
luigi's low tier because when the tierlist was made, not alot of people used him in tourneys (since the current tier list is based mainly off of tourney results)

and the vast majority of people who used him didnt do so well.

I'd be amazed if the tierlist got updated and luigi was still low tier.

__

And yes, it's actually common to ban link and luigi (and sometimes y.link) in low tier tournies.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Luigi doesn't really combo as well as the higher tier chars and his aerial approach game is kinda slow... Plus there're a lot of things that characters can do to hamper your wavedashing, which is where most of Luigi's speed comes from.

Plus his recovery is pretty bad compared to higher tiers.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
if by higher tier you mean high and top tier, then yeah luigi doesnt combo as well as them, nobody does.

If by higher tier you man samus, and then doc down to luigi (which i think 6 characters), then luigi actually combos BETTER than them.

Heck, you can throw capfal in there too, because capfal has to come to luigi, and luigi can combo the mess outta FFers and reg. weights with d.smash, u.tilt, and n.air.

Yeah his recovery blows (because the heart of his recovery is random), and sure his approaches arent specifically hot (he's got some options), but a good luigi is hard to get away from. And you have to get away from luigi or you get the **** kicked outta you.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Samus might not combo as well, but she's got missile canceling, which helps. I'm going to have to disagree with you on the part of Falcon and Doc though, they seem like much better comboers to me.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
It's important to recognize how close the characters in the tier list really are and that they don't really show significant gaps in competitive viability until you get pretty low in the list. You don't really know who's likely to be the winner based on character selection anymore because players have gotten so good at the game. It's easy to look at the tier list and go, "oh well, Ganondorf is waaaay lower than Peach" but if you ever watch those matches at the highest level of play, there's no guarantee who's going to come out on top. There are Pikachu players who can walk through the Marth matchup like it's nothin', Link players who can rip apart Sheiks and if you've never seen a Donkey Kong **** a Fox, you're kidding yourself. :)

I don't think the gaps between the characters' potential is hugely noticeable until you hit the bottom tier. And even so, there are some loyalists who have brought those models to a tournament-ready level as well, so it's hard to say how the tier list would change if there was an even distribution of skilled players across the entire roster.

Yadam

Smash Cadet
every move luigi has is ****, except his crappy dash attack, every air move can ****, every smash, every tilt, they all can combo so you guys saying he cant must really not have played as him, or against any good luigis, if you lived around here you'd sure think differently after being ***** by him a few times

L__

Smash Master
Since he is low tier, if I mained Luigi I would take some pride in being a Low Tier main like my friend who plays a Pika too well to seem low tier. (I'd rather have Ganon trade spots with him so I could **** in Low Tier tournaments. xD)

UberBlackCleric

Smash Cadet
Its generally accepted that if a new tier list was made Luigi would NOT be in low tier. If I had to guess I assume he would probably move up above link and Gannon and Mario/Doc would be tossed down a few pegs(puff would probably move up a bit too)

???????

Smash Journeyman
Keep dreaming, there's a good reason why Mario and Dr. Mario are where they are. Luigi is like the god tier of low tier, he really could be in like low mid but his bad match-ups and very obvious weaknesses really keep him down; Luigi could maybe move past Link but I don't see him anywhere above Ganondorf.

*Luigi has been known for both his obvious weaknesses (Which he has a lot of) and obvious advantages; he’s in low tier for good cause but he still slaughters the other low tier characters*

UberBlackCleric

Smash Cadet
No, Luigi is easily better than Mario and Doc. They have the same basic weaknesses as him in they're extremely poor recovery and high combo ability. However Luigi has the advantages of ******** aerial priority, a wavedash that makes him as fast as Captain Falcon and a player thats actually managed to take him to tournament winning levels(ka-Master) As of yet, there have been NO recent Doc/Mario players who took their character to top 5 in a large scale tournament.

???????

Smash Journeyman
Luigi's air movement and falling speed is terrible, he does not have any chain grabs other than on fast fallers, his low traction makes it next to impossible to reliably control approach and keep pressure on your opponent...the list goes on and on.

Dr. Mario and Mario both have terribly short recoveries but they both can keep pressure on their opponent, they have a good SHFFL, they have chain grabs on most characters on most characters in the game, very good approaches...the list goes on and on.

*It doesn't matter to me whether or not you agree, I'm just telling you how it is*

Yadam

Smash Cadet
i've seen luigi's with very good approaches who keep the pressure on better than doc and mario, luigi is better than both of them i believe, and his falling speed gets him out of combos easier, his air attacks own...they have high priority, good hit boxes, and they are fast. His smashes all have good range and good damage and can lead to combo'd fair, his tilts are great for that too, the only bad move luigi has is his dash attack

???????

Smash Journeyman
Luigi sounds good on paper but he really is lacking compared to the other characters above him, including Mario and Dr. Mario. I've seen good Luigis too but it doesn't change the fact that Luigi just doesn't have as much going for him as the other characters above him.

*Where do you think Luigi, Mario and Dr. Mario should be anyway?*

Yadam

Smash Cadet
well personally i think luigi and mario are underrated but i still think luigi is superior to doc and mario, i think he belongs in the same group with captain

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Our question-marked friend from ????????? knows what he's talkin' about. There are phenoms in Washington, it's true, but when you're talking about the gross competitive potential of a character's build, Luigi is right where he belongs.

This thread opens with someone answering his own question before even asking it. :) We've now come full circle.

Yadam

Smash Cadet
he's not where he belongs, but i guess the only way to change peoples' minds is to own them with luigi. I'll have to use him a lot at the melee tourney i'm going to this weekend.

Blea Gelo

Smash Lord
now i im even more confused than before. I just donw know, it like, luig doesnt looks bad at all, taking out all good players lie ka master, he doesnt looks bad.. But in the ote side, when i compare luigi with higher tier's characters i say like, he can be better but not sooo much better... He can be better tan link and he can be in the mid tier's bottom line

S0FT

Smash Ace
"a player thats actually managed to take him to tournament winning levels(ka-Master)"
Im pretty tired of seeing this logic.
Look at fox-many people do well with him because he is a good character
Luigi-No one really does that well with him except ka master and azen sometimes?

Azen-is a really good player
Ka master-is a really good player (from what eggz said)

When there are only a few instances of a charater winning its because the player is really good not the character.

B-Down

Smash Apprentice
Because people can't misfire on command.(Don't let anyone in Georgia read this.) Not to mention he has some pretty bad high/top tier matchups(Not unwinnable, just not good.)

hoopspr226

Smash Journeyman
every move luigi has is ****, except his crappy dash attack, every air move can ****, every smash, every tilt, they all can combo so you guys saying he cant must really not have played as him, or against any good luigis, if you lived around here you'd sure think differently after being ***** by him a few times
D-tilt begs your pardon. Its horrible.

otg

Smash Master
Luigi's placement is fine right where it is. As someone said earlier in this thread it's not so much that the character order has to move around, more so that the tier lines have to be redrawn.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
i used to hate Luigi's placement, but now, I like it. It's funny when Luigi's either banned from low tier tourneys, or kills in them.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
luigi is low because we're long overdue for an update.

but he's not moving beyond the bottom of mid.

edit: even if we do get an update he's still bottom of mid or close to it.

Top Bottom