• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

X or Y? - PT Social

Myollnir

Smash Ace
No MK means more Marth/Olimar/ICs/TL.

DDD will be used more to counter Marth, BUT with the influx of ICs/Olimar, he'll not be able to jump on the tier list.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Yo guys, here's my tournament results for singles:

My first game I got paired up against Joker's Snake, so I was starting off with a tough matchup. He beat me back-to-back, but the first game I took him down to his last stock and the second game (Brinstar) would've been the same if I didn't make a really stupid mistake with Charizard (I landed right on a C4 on the top platform).

First round of loser's final I played ngamer's Yoshi, but I've never really played against a Yoshi before. He two-stocked me pretty easily the first game, but the second game (Halberd) I came back much stronger and almost won (down to the last hit), but Squirtle was fatiqued and I was forced to try to get the kill with Ivysaur, so that didn't pan out.

What I've learned so far: My Charizard is dead-weight on my team, which is not good because I need him to stock tank and get easy kills/gimps. Charizard is my area in greatest need of improvement, and I'm going to be playing him solo in friendlies for a while to get him up to the level of the other two (or starting with him in non-hacked friendlies).

The other thing I've noticed is that I get pretty nervous in these high pressure situations, so much so that my hands get pretty shaky and I make input mistakes. I'm not really sure how I can improve in this area without just gaining a sense of overall confidence that I don't have because I'm not used to playing against people I've never played against before.

I haven't been to a tournament in over two years, so I didn't come in to it expecting great results or anything. This was supposed to be a learning experience, and that is what I'm going to continue to use it as.

I'll keep you guys posted for what happens in doubles.

:phone:

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Don't worry too much about doing bad at a tournament, especially since you've been out of it for so long. Just keep trying to get better and keep the mindset of having fun and playing better player and getting practice to get better. Blow some dust of those old balls of yours.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
PT is still trash even with MK banned, btw.
I keep seeing people argue back an forth about MK getting banned. Big deal, his ban can always get repealed if enough people support that movement. For now, I think it's only fair to give this movement a chance to see how it affects the community as a whole. It might not be as bad is people are making it out to be. Plus, just because a person runs a tournament, doesn't mean they have to use unity rules. PT is fun, I don't care if he is trash. If it was that big of a deal to me, then I'd go learn to play a player in a higher tier like Snake. If I manage to get a good ranking with PT, that's just a huge slap in the face to those who are using characters who are in a higher tier than me.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
yes i know he is fun and all that but the fact is that most characters are not going to change much, if at all. low tier characters aren't low tier because of MK, they are low tier because they suck. PT absolutely despises Marth, who beats PT just as bad as MK did if you discount the planking/scrooging/etc. DDD is a pain. Falco is an *******. Wario can still time you out and make it impossible to kill him. etc., etc. The MK ban is the right thing to do, but that doesn't mean much for the worst characters.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
I think the whole concept of expecting anything out of the Tier list after MK leaves is silly. What we do need to look at is our REGION and what matchups are going to become a very large presence now that everyone's MAIN and SECONDARY are gone.

MK leaving means that now our PT's don't have to lose 2nd game to pocket MK's on rainbow or brinstar. MK leaving mean's that outside of wario it's more of a challenge for people to fatigue us out before we can fight them.

In NY/NJ MK leaving means now that a few characters will sprout everywhere and they stand as this.
1. Diddy- because he's #2 in the game within our region that houses ADHD, there will be a larger presence of him.
2. Falco- so many think it's just laser camping illusions and CG's, but there is a good amount more. Now while the falco PT matchup is rough (whether I find it bearable or not, MU's are MU's) pocket falco's are not Main's and this is my emphasis is that pocket characters are a big difference then main's.
3. Snake- I live very close to NE and the Snake presence is huge. Ally admited to reflex the matchup is only -1 in snakes favor. So even this is manageable.

The big reasons why PT will not be seeing a move in the tier list is due to old horror matchups that are going to be still hell.

1. Marth: nuff said
2. Dedede: That CG is a huge portion along with weight, range, and kill power/gimping power.
3. IC's- the new pocket character that will be everywhere ( Like I said though pocket IC's are not main's so lets see how long it takes for players to have full blown pocket IC's)
4. Wario: The playstyle is our weakness even if you don't look at the moveset. He bounces around and punishes when we make mistakes. So in short he is eating clock and our stamina to punish us after mistakes. This playstyle is not one PT likes fighting.

So this all boils down to our worries and strength's because pocket MK being gone gives PT a much stronger chance to do well because of not having pocket 65:35 MU's everywhere. We aren't out of the clear as listed with Marth/D3/IC's/Wario but Falco/Diddy/Snake are area's we can totally shine. Reflex has shown us against Kismet/Player-1/Ally how well PT can do so we need to really pay attention to how he is playing these matchups because honestly after looking into them the higher portion(Falco/Diddy/Snake) of the tierlist seem to be more doable MU's than the lower high portion (Marth/D3/IC's/Wario).

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Ice Climbers aren't so bad for PT, I'd say. -2 at worst; I could even see -1.
i agree with this, squirtle really does work, one of the best characters at separating climbers and killing nana...water gun is really good here, and ivy/zard are definitely not helpless...well, maybe ivysaur is a little helpless without platforms.

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
Hey Retro a good way to practice High Pressure situations is to challenge really good people to money matches.

It gives you pressure you need to practice playing with something on the line, and if you can record yourself at the same time that helps to add pressure (the **** or the getting **** will be captured forever) and reviewing your mistakes under pressure always helps.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
At Battle for the South II last year, I almost beat the IC player who wound up coming in 4th. It literally came down to who made the last hit. In one of our matches, I was getting two stocked but when Charizard came out, I made my epic comeback. All the Street Fighter guys went crazy over our match. I didn't think Brawl could ever get hype.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Charizard has some nice tools, and Ivysaur isn't completely helpless. I'd say -1 for Squirtle, -2 for Ivysaur, and -1 for Charizard. *shrugs*

MaTA

Smash Ace
NNID
MatisElite
charizard is great against IC.. flamethrower out reaches blizzard when its fresh. knocks back ice blocks too. dtilt is great along with catching RS. Once they are separate he ***** nana so bad! Plus if its sopo he can't get cg at low percent. pretty sure you can upB out of it.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
T-Block do you really think we forget that you main PT? Your second on the PR and blantantly more knowledgable than the rest of us!! Also ZIgsta talked about it being generally known that aposl is better than me on the boards, any care to explain because I didn't see this anywhere?

Bomber7

Smash Hero
It's getting to be that time of year again. Cooler weather. The time for dancing across minefields, singing Jingle Bombs. Giving gifts due to detonate ten seconds after they are opened. Hanging hand grenades on the Christmas tree or lighting up the sticks of dynamite you replaced with candles on your menorah. Ah, don't you just love the holidays?

MaTA

Smash Ace
NNID
MatisElite
Ctail - that's good because school is expensive ha. I just use my career as a way to impress woman.

Bomber - I'm sure thats true, but there are cheaper was to do so. You can just call one of them by a different name. Or just slowly stop responding to them ha. But it is nice to have a few around...

I totally switch up personalities. I'm a nerd/geek to one and another I'm a drinker, another I'm more out doorsy. Technically I'm all of those but I just try to switch it up depending on what the girl is ha.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Ctail - that's good because school is expensive ha. I just use my career as a way to impress woman.

Bomber - I'm sure thats true, but there are cheaper was to do so. You can just call one of them by a different name. Or just slowly stop responding to them ha. But it is nice to have a few around...

I totally switch up personalities. I'm a nerd/geek to one and another I'm a drinker, another I'm more out doorsy. Technically I'm all of those but I just try to switch it up depending on what the girl is ha.
sometimes no responding takes months to take effect. take it from my personal experience. ._.

MaTA

Smash Ace
NNID
MatisElite
Then all you have to say is "I'm not attracted to you" and it'll cut down their responding. They'll feel insecure about themselves and possible try more. When they start doing that you just find a guy friend who's equally as desperate and send him her way to take all the emotional hits. Problem solved.

T-block

B2B TST
T-Block do you really think we forget that you main PT? Your second on the PR and blantantly more knowledgable than the rest of us!! Also ZIgsta talked about it being generally known that aposl is better than me on the boards, any care to explain because I didn't see this anywhere?
lol

nah it's just a joke, since it happens a lot

besides, i'm just reflex's alt account anyways

Time to only see one girl instead of five. Gifts are expensive...
Then all you have to say is "I'm not attracted to you" and it'll cut down their responding. They'll feel insecure about themselves and possible try more. When they start doing that you just find a guy friend who's equally as desperate and send him her way to take all the emotional hits. Problem solved.
i hate you

Top Bottom