• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

X or Y? - PT Social

Tesh

Smash Hero
Its true, its technically against the rules to change your starter after the character picking phase is over and if PT was composed of Wario+DDD+Olimar instead of 2 horrible characters and 1 flawed gem of a character, no one would let you switch from one to the other without a big fuss.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Say Bomber, I'll Wi-Fi you. I could really use some help in developing my PT.

Just PM me when you think you'll be ready.
:006:

Just out of curiosity, whats everyone's best/favorite character out of the trio, and whats their worst?

I'd say my best is :ivysaur: and my worst is either :squirtle: or :charizard:
:charizard: is my undesputed favorite though xD

Myollnir

Smash Ace
Best : :squirtle:
Worst : :charizard:
Favorite : :squirtle: because he's usually the best out of the three, but I like the others as well, it's really matchup-dependent.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Best: It varies, but I'm pretty sure all three are on the same level right now.

Favorite: That's too tough, I love playing all three. I love their styles.

T-block

B2B TST
Its true, its technically against the rules to change your starter after the character picking phase is over and if PT was composed of Wario+DDD+Olimar instead of 2 horrible characters and 1 flawed gem of a character, no one would let you switch from one to the other without a big fuss.
actually, most rulesets don't specify, so usually it's not explicitly against the rules

vague definition of "character selection" etc etc

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Technically PT is all one character, doesn't matter which pokemon. Plus, if people made a big deal about PT changing pokemon, then I would throw my bull s*** brick at someone for all those zelda/sheik and samus/zss players who get to change which the stage is still loading.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Yea I guess now most rulesets don't. I'm used to that part in Unity where it says "this includes character color and which pokemon/zelda/sheik etc.".

Rizen

Smash Legend
Best Char-since I learned to grab
Worst Squirt-who maneuvers the best but my KO setups are always fishing and super obvious and then Squirt gets tired.
Favorite Ivy-feels good to land moves with spacing strategy. Fun power KOs. Char and squirt are a bit weak for my taste. Ivy's so easily gimped, though :(

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I was watching a streamed match between Luis and my friend Dan and I noticed Luis chased Dan off the stage as Charizard as seen in the stream here at about 2:27. To me it looked like a very unnecessary risk. I could be wrong, but I'm hoping either Luis or one of you guys might be able to tell me something about that. Is there any benefit to it and is it really worth it if it were pulled off correctly because it looked like Luis messed up a bit on execution.

http://www.twitch.tv/actionpanda/b/326514798

The last two matches were outstanding with a dominated performance by Ivysaur but I did question every u-smash (more so than vinewhip) and vinewhip because the opportunity to use it wasn't really there. He did manage to land one vinewhip with the sweet spot. It was beautiful.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Offstage at 2:27 Nair would have been smart, not flame thrower. Char's Bair, Nair and less-so Fair/Dair seem good for intercepting, IMO.

I am soooo depressed right now.

I was watching a streamed match between Luis and my friend Dan and I noticed Luis chased Dan off the stage as Charizard as seen in the stream here at about 2:27. To me it looked like a very unnecessary risk. I could be wrong, but I'm hoping either Luis or one of you guys might be able to tell me something about that. Is there any benefit to it and is it really worth it if it were pulled off correctly because it looked like Luis messed up a bit on execution.

http://www.twitch.tv/actionpanda/b/326514798

The last two matches were outstanding with a dominated performance by Ivysaur but I did question every u-smash (more so than vinewhip) and vinewhip because the opportunity to use it wasn't really there. He did manage to land one vinewhip with the sweet spot. It was beautiful.
At the first question, I'm guessing it was to eat up Toon Link's double jump so he couldn't recover. At that %, Toon Link might not have expected such a risk. However at that time, if Charizard were to recover from Flamethrower lag, he'd still have a good chance to recover back since he had his 2 mid air jumps and UPB.

I honestly like that idea of using flamethrower though.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
At the first question, I'm guessing it was to eat up Toon Link's double jump so he couldn't recover. At that %, Toon Link might not have expected such a risk. However at that time, if Charizard were to recover from Flamethrower lag, he'd still have a good chance to recover back since he had his 2 mid air jumps and UPB.

I honestly like that idea of using flamethrower though.
You need to post more. No johns.

In general, my other tv works just fine so I'm up for a little wifi, I think I will be able to stand some of the lag i get from the tv and wifi. Just don't expect serious matches. Looks like I need to buy some HD cables. laging by a second is so detrimental to my game.

Myollnir

Smash Ace
I actually prefer Ivy's Bair. Disjointed, fast, no landing lag, combo into itself, helps a lot when you have to land/recover.

That's just my opinion though. Of course you won't rack up damage quickly with this move.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
3% is pitiful. If it were at least somewhat threatening, it would be useful, but since that's the only reliable thing we can do in the neutral game while keeping ourselves safe, it's mostly getting us fatigued way before they experience death of a thousand cuts, but it's all we can do, so we do the best we can.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Even still, despite Ivysaur (by all data and statistics) being a horrible character. We have to do what we can to yield the best results. I've definitely found b-air the most useful tool in my Ivysaur spacing game.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
pretty sure marth can dj f-air, for example
I mean, if we're using our mid-air jump right as we start it, maybe, but, that's a product of terrible horizontal aerial mobility more than anything else. I think if it's well-spaced it's still safe, too, even under those circumstances.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Uh, what? Assuming you get both hits, against who? >_>
A shield (trollface /jk)

The damage+fatigue factor makes Bair bad even though it spaces well. DDD has the best Dair followed closely by Wolf, IMO. A lot of bairs beat the heck out of Ivy's like DK's, I'd even say Zelda/Link's Bairs are better. Ivy's Bair would be a good move if it had better stats :/

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Perhaps I spoke out of optomism. I qas in a good mood after enjoying much success with the move when I typed that.

I'm kinda shocked that it started such a large discussion.
pretty sure marth can dj f-air, for example
Hmmm, I'm surprised you're able to keep Ivysaur in against Marth. Perhaps its just me, but that seems like a pretty one sided MU.

I do suppose Ivysaur has one option to deal witg Marth however...

DownB

:phone:

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Hmmm, I'm surprised you're able to keep Ivysaur in against Marth. Perhaps its just me, but that seems like a pretty one sided MU.

I do suppose Ivysaur has one option to deal witg Marth however...

DownB

:phone:
Depending on the Marth, Ivysaur is capable of walling him. The only problem you will run into is Marth's sword outreaching anything you have to throw against him. Though a huge part of the PT/Marth MU is never trading hits with him.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^I'll try wifi-ing and we can see if the connection's any better. If not we can quit; it was pretty bad last time :/ .

Bomber7

Smash Hero
^I'll try wifi-ing and we can see if the connection's any better. If not we can quit; it was pretty bad last time :/ .
It was my HD tv that was making me lag. I think I accidentally started to take it too seriously which is why I get rage quitting. Surprisingly we didn't have wifi lag. I was just frustrated that my tv was lagging me one second behind what I wanted to do and destroying my reaction time. I'll just screw around this time with whoever.

Also, give me a sec to set up

Top Bottom