• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Worst part of Super Smash Bros 4? Game is out everywhere, go ape ****!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Los4Muros

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Los4Muros
3DS FC
2852-9328-5396
The bad attention Metroid got. I expected Samus to get some good fixes, but she didn't. No new Metroid stages in the 3DS version, no new characters from the series, no new songs for the soundtrack. Small amount of trophies. Luckily, Zero Suit Samus is there to save the day.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Honestly, one of the few things I don't like about the game is Wario's portrayal/moveset and the lack of Wario Land content in Smash since Brawl. Wario is a character who uses physical strength and abilities to defeat enemies. On paper, you would think Wario would fit perfectly in the Smash universe. I was excited to see Wario confirmed for Brawl in that opening trailer. But then seeing his moveset was pretty disappointing to say the least. Sure he did have a few moves from the Wario Land/World games, but the whole entire moveset just didn't fit him in my opinion. Though I do like the bike move. Plus his walking/running animations, seriously? Why make him move like Mr. Game & Watch?

Fast forward to Smash 4, Wario looks great and is pretty expressive. His animations are a lot smoother this time around. But then Wario's trademark move, the Shoulder Bash, is removed in favor of a backfist forward smash. What does Sakurai have against Wario Land? It's the series in which Wario became an icon of Nintendo and a really cool character. I like his Biker costume, but why is it the default? I'll don't really understand that notion. Plus, there is a ton of potential for Wario's moveset from WL 1-4, Skake It, and Wario World. In the end, all of this potential is fully wasted.

Also, why is there like next to nothing in terms of Wario Land content? It's getting shafted in favor of Ware. Without Wario Land, Wario Ware would have never existed at all. I should note that the first level music from Wario Land Shake It (Stonecarving City) did play in the 50 fact direct which got me excited, but I'm not getting my hopes up of seeing more Wario Land content in this game. I hoped to be surprised, but we'll see.

EDIT: When Wario was considered for Melee as a Mario clone that is heavier and more powerful, Sakurai mentioned that he deserved better. Well Wario definitely deserves better after what he got in Brawl and Smash 4.

Last edited:

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Honestly, one of the few things I don't like about the game is Wario's portrayal/moveset and the lack of Wario Land content in Smash since Brawl. Wario is a character who uses physical strength and abilities to defeat enemies. On paper, you would think Wario would fit perfectly in the Smash universe. I was excited to see Wario confirmed for Brawl in that opening trailer. But then seeing his moveset was pretty disappointing to say the least. Sure he did have a few moves from the Wario Land/World games, but the whole entire moveset just didn't fit him in my opinion. Though I do like the bike move. Plus his walking/running animations, seriously? Why make him move like Mr. Game & Watch?

Fast forward to Smash 4, Wario looks great and is pretty expressive. His animations are a lot smoother this time around. But then Wario's trademark move, the Shoulder Bash, is removed in favor of a backfist forward smash. What does Sakurai have against Wario Land? It's the series in which Wario became an icon of Nintendo and a really cool character. I like his Biker costume, but why is it the default? I'll don't really understand that notion. Plus, there is a ton of potential for Wario's moveset from WL 1-4, Skake It, and Wario World. In the end, all of this potential is fully wasted.

Also, why is there like next to nothing in terms of Wario Land content? It's getting shafted in favor of Ware. Without Wario Land, Wario Ware would have never existed at all. I should note that the first level music from Wario Land Shake It (Stonecarving City) did play in the 50 fact direct which got me excited, but I'm not getting my hopes up of seeing more Wario Land content in this game. I hoped to be surprised, but we'll see.
I agree with everything here. Never understood why they couldn't derive at least some of his moves from WL, Shake It, etc. The shoulder bash was literally his only WL-based move. At least PM does him justice.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
For me, it's probably the lack of an SSE-esque mode, especially since so many recent Nintendo games have made strides in the co-op platformer/action game genre, and Smash Bros easily could have.

On 3DS, Smash Run is a pretty good substitute, though it's kinda marred by the fact that I cannot play online, and there is only one map (though it does change randomly each time, which I like). Also the fact I cannot make the timer longer, the final battles longer, or even choose the events. And the fact that due to there being no direct player interaction on the map, and having two Final Battle events that also don't have player interaction, you can potentially play this with your friends and never actually interact with them. I still quite like Smash Run, but these things hold it back from being the huge selling point it could have been.

However, the Wii U version has nothing to satisfy my Smash-adventuring needs. It has Master Fortress, which shows they THOUGHT of this kind of mode, but Master Fortress is a linear level that I need only play once, plus I have to fight the CPU and some bosses for a while to get to play it at all (meaning players who are not good at Smash but like things like SSE will never get to experience Master Fortress anyway - and it doesn't show up in co-op).

This may seem unimportant to some, but I think a mode like SSE (even if it didn't have a story and was just going through various themed levels from Nintendo games in a big adventure) would have been really good for the Wii U version. It would be a great way to show off the some great visuals on a larger scale (the Smash Run map looks great on 3DS, even), great for co-op, and would probably be less tedious of a single player experience than going through Classic, All-Star, and Special Orders with every single character. It would also be great for breaking up the time spent in these modes when trying to unlock stuff.

I want to 100% Smash Wii U like I almost did Brawl and like I have done on 3DS, but going through Classic and All-Star with every character after only doing so within the last month on 3DS, seems like it's a bit too tedious. The Wii U version should have really had some kind of Adventure Mode to help the single-player experience feel as fresh and new as everything else in the game. Yeah, Events are cool and all, but you can complete them all in an hour or so provided you never fail, and once you finish them all on hard mode, you never have any reason to come back to them.

It's really ironic that the thing I am most looking forward to when playing the new Project M, is going through Subspace Emissary with the Project M mechanics.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
For me, it's probably the lack of an SSE-esque mode, especially since so many recent Nintendo games have made strides in the co-op platformer/action game genre, and Smash Bros easily could have.

On 3DS, Smash Run is a pretty good substitute, though it's kinda marred by the fact that I cannot play online, and there is only one map (though it does change randomly each time, which I like). Also the fact I cannot make the timer longer, the final battles longer, or even choose the events. And the fact that due to there being no direct player interaction on the map, and having two Final Battle events that also don't have player interaction, you can potentially play this with your friends and never actually interact with them. I still quite like Smash Run, but these things hold it back from being the huge selling point it could have been.

However, the Wii U version has nothing to satisfy my Smash-adventuring needs. It has Master Fortress, which shows they THOUGHT of this kind of mode, but Master Fortress is a linear level that I need only play once, plus I have to fight the CPU and some bosses for a while to get to play it at all (meaning players who are not good at Smash but like things like SSE will never get to experience Master Fortress anyway - and it doesn't show up in co-op).

This may seem unimportant to some, but I think a mode like SSE (even if it didn't have a story and was just going through various themed levels from Nintendo games in a big adventure) would have been really good for the Wii U version. It would be a great way to show off the some great visuals on a larger scale (the Smash Run map looks great on 3DS, even), great for co-op, and would probably be less tedious of a single player experience than going through Classic, All-Star, and Special Orders with every single character. It would also be great for breaking up the time spent in these modes when trying to unlock stuff.

I want to 100% Smash Wii U like I almost did Brawl and like I have done on 3DS, but going through Classic and All-Star with every character after only doing so within the last month on 3DS, seems like it's a bit too tedious. The Wii U version should have really had some kind of Adventure Mode to help the single-player experience feel as fresh and new as everything else in the game. Yeah, Events are cool and all, but you can complete them all in an hour or so provided you never fail, and once you finish them all on hard mode, you never have any reason to come back to them.

It's really ironic that the thing I am most looking forward to when playing the new Project M, is going through Subspace Emissary with the Project M mechanics.
This is more or less how I feel. I think the reasoning for not having an SSE style mode is pretty unjust. What if every game had the same mindset? "Oh, we won't put a story mode with cutscenes in the next Halo because leakers will just post it online." No.

Not only would I have loved to see the new characters interact, it actually gives you something to do by yourself. Smash 4 is seriously lacking in that aspect. The 5 minute limit kills a lot of the enjoyment of Smash Run for me. I know it was trying to emulate City Trial, but it didn't translate as well into Smash. Classic mode with only 2 stocks is annoying because items, so there just isn't much to do. I was never the biggest fan of online (though I still play it at times) and it seems like that's all the game wants you to do. I guess a big criticism against the SSE was that it took a lot of development time away from other game aspects in Brawl.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Events are cool and all, but you can complete them all in an hour or so provided you never fail, and once you finish them all on hard mode, you never have any reason to come back to them.
That is no different to the SSE. Finish it and (apart from trophy stand farming which is annoying and unfair as ****) there's no reason to go back to that either.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
That is no different to the SSE. Finish it and (apart from trophy stand farming which is annoying and unfair as ****) there's no reason to go back to that either.
I had fun replaying SSE with multiple other people, trying out all of the different difficulties to see how they differed, going back with my favourite characters (e.g doing every level with Sonic since he is only unlocked at the end), messing around with stickers for varying effects, speedrunning the levels, etc.

That's a lot more replay value than something like Events mode. And it's not like it was in vein either, I picked up randomly generated trophies and stickers along the way. Having a mode like this in SSB Wii U would be even better, since customs are a thing, as is grinding for them.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I only have a few very small complaints. I will end each note with a positive spin though.

-Stage Builder feels a bit lacking in content. Only 8 (really, just 4 with 2 variations each) special items to place? Would like an update or DLC that would add more, I hope. At least the features that are there have plenty of flexibility which Brawl never gave.
-Not enough returning stages from Melee/64, or new stages, IMO. So many Brawl stages, and yet several of the best stages from the first 2 games weren't added (Meta Crystal, Pokemon Stadium 1, Fountain of Dreams, etc.). Thankfully most of what is there is solid even if for just casual fun, almost every stage is worth playing in at least some way.
-RIP in peace Ice Climbers. But at least we got an amazing cast as it is.

Really that's all my complaints. Fantastic damn game and I'm enjoying the hell out of it so far.

Last edited:

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I had fun replaying SSE with multiple other people, trying out all of the different difficulties to see how they differed, going back with my favourite characters (e.g doing every level with Sonic since he is only unlocked at the end), messing around with stickers for varying effects, speedrunning the levels, etc.

That's a lot more replay value than something like Events mode. And it's not like it was in vein either, I picked up randomly generated trophies and stickers along the way. Having a mode like this in SSB Wii U would be even better, since customs are a thing, as is grinding for them.
He's kind of quick to complain about everything and never looks at the bright side. You're not getting anywhere trying to discuss anything with him. :p

negikogok

Smash Rookie
NNID
negikogok
3DS FC
3668-8815-6202
I still don't get the reason of nintendo not releasing all versions of the game at the same time.
Feel bad for the Japanese players.

the8thark

Smash Lord
I still don't get the reason of nintendo not releasing all versions of the game at the same time.
Feel bad for the Japanese players.
I don't get this either. It makes so sense really.
Week 1: NA
Week2: Aus and EU
Week 3: J.ap

This makes no sense at all and just creates salt for anyone who is not in week 1.

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
Literally the only bad thing about the game is no Ice Climbers. This game is amazing.

Last edited:

Joalro

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0189-8794-0585
To me the worst parts of Smash 4 are:

-No way to customize default controls. I don't want tap jump, and I like having grab be mapped to L. But every time I go online I have to remember to change my name or else I am stuck with the default controls, and I end up messing up.

-No online Amiibo support. I was actually really surprised about this one. My friend and his roommate wanted to face me and my amiibo. I figured if you play with friends, you should be able to throw an amiibo in there. Very disappointed I couldn't.

That's it. I'm loving the event matches, the characters, the controls, the feel. Great game.

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
Lv. 9 CPUs only know to shield and grab which make gameplay boring sometimes :(

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
High Difficulty of Smash Tour, Donkey Kong and Bowser still sound like monsters, Few Villains, and Most of all, NO ADVENTURE MODE OF ANY KIND!!!

Last edited:

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Songs being cut off short due to needing to fit that two minute criteria (or whatever)

:(

daguyontheladder

Smash Cadet
NNID
daguyontheladder
3DS FC
5284-2773-0878
Aw man, I didn't even know that...
only free for all and team are time matches. 1v1 is stocked based (2 each) but has a timer, it will go into sudden death if each player has the same amount of lives when time ends.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Having finally got the Wii U version in the mail, I guess I am disappointied in the lackluster stage roster. When combined with the 3DS version, then the roster isn't so bad but I don't think many people look at it that way though I feel this is what Sakurai intended. I like the stages we have but the fact that some series such as Pokemon, Star Fox, and Metroid have only two stages and series such as MOTHER, F-Zero, Pikmin, and Wario only have one stage and the plethora of questionable veteran stages make me wonder what Sakurai and his team were thinking. And why not bring Magicant and Mute City to the Wii U and still keep the two veteran stages? I also don't understand why we have a Woolly World stage yet no Tropical Freeze stage. Also, lack of Metroid Prime 3 representation is just saddening. And a lack of a Wind Waker stage also irked me.

Also sad about the seemingly lack of stage-representative series. We only have Wrecking Crew, Wii Sports, Pilotwings, and MiiVerse. I was really hoping for stages from Wonderful 101, Nintendo Land, Endless Ocean, and maybe even a Rhythm Heaven stage.

I guess stages were my biggest beef with both versions.

I don't get this either. It makes so sense really.
Week 1: NA
Week2: Aus and EU
Week 3: J.ap

This makes no sense at all and just creates salt for anyone who is not in week 1.
While this isn't fact but opinion but Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire was released worldwide on Nov 21st. Nintendo might of wanted to avoid releasing both games in Japan due to profit reason. They knew that Smash Wii U would sell like hot cakes in the West so there's really no profit loss if you release both games as they both will do well. However, in Japan, Pokemon and the 3DS is MUCH more profitable than Super Smash Bros or Wii U. To explain this, I have a class of 40 6th grade students. Of that class, maybe 3 students own the 3DS version of Super Smash Bros. while maybe 5 of them know of someone who owns it. Of that class, maybe 1 or 2 students own a Wii U whereas about 80% of the class owns a 3DS or a sibling owns one. On the release of Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, most of the students who owns a 3DS bought the game or will be buying the game. 3DS games generally sell better in Japan than Wii U games and, similarly, handheld games sell better than console games. Nintendo may want to try marketing the Wii U version more aggressively thus didn't want the 3DS version overshadowing it. I have been seeing commercials for OR/AS seriously like crazy. I am still seeing these commercials despite the game being released last week.

As for AUS or EU, I have no explanation. I also disagree with your usage of J.ap. As someone of mixed Japanese heritage and was often called "J.ap" as an insult in school, I do find it fairly offensive; even if it used to shorten the word. Just use "JP". It's shorter, doesn't bypass the censor, and isn't offensive.

Last edited:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
For me personally, lack of adventure/solo mode like SSE or something (Yes I actually liked SSE). Also lack of modern Kirby game content outside of Kirby's final smash. No Modern Stages or assist trophies. Everything is again from Sakurai's own 4 Kirby games. Feels like Kirby game stages and content mostly comes from 1996. Sakurai, the franchise has continued without you. At least acknowledge it a little more.

Also I haven't played my Wii U copy much. I'm playing it online for the first time and I'm noticing that there's no way to play with custom controls? Am I missing the menu or something... cause I can't find a way. I want to take out the joystick for jumping... and can't... wtf... ?? If playing with the default controls is a must than this is also another thing I dislike about new smash.

Last edited:

Anthon1996

Smash Ace
NNID
AnUglyBarnacle
3DS FC
5301-0385-3871
Also I haven't played my Wii U copy much. I'm playing it online for the first time and I'm noticing that there's no way to play with custom controls? Am I missing the menu or something... cause I can't find a way. I want to take out the joystick for jumping... and can't... wtf... ?? If playing with the default controls is a must than this is also another thing I dislike about new smash.
Well, in the menu for Smash, there's a little thing on the top of the screen called "Controls."

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Well, in the menu for Smash, there's a little thing on the top of the screen called "Controls."
Yeah and I have a name in there and the preferences I set under that name. However when I go online it's not like I can pick the name with those preferences in place. So I'm wondering if the preferences can't be taken online.

Anthon1996

Smash Ace
NNID
AnUglyBarnacle
3DS FC
5301-0385-3871
Yeah and I have a name in there and the preferences I set under that name. However when I go online it's not like I can pick the name with those preferences in place. So I'm wondering if the preferences can't be taken online.
I can do it just fine. Maybe you forget to go click on your character's name on the CSS and select your name from the little window that pops up?

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
I can do it just fine. Maybe you forget to go click on your character's name on the CSS and select your name from the little window that pops up?
Hm, I'll try that. However I won't worry too much about it. I'm unfortunately using the Wii U Pad as my controller because I can't get a gamecube adapter. They are sold out EVERYWHERE. As soon as I am able to attain one, I'll be all set.

Last edited:

Master Jelly

Smash Cadet
No target test, and the fact it got replaced by an angry birds clone. The only difference is angry birds is a time waster while target blast is a waste of time.

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
75m and Smashville instead of Pirate Ship and Fountain of Dreams...

the8thark

Smash Lord
The worst part of the game in my opinion? Well I have two things.

1. Classic mode. I hate it. The whole board thing is just not run to re do over and over. And the hand fights are just too hard, and not in a good way. They were done better in Melee/Brawl. I could beat the hands on very hard/intense in Melee and Brawl easy. But in Smash 4 I can just beat the hands on intensity 6, and that's not always, that's only sometimes.The Melee/Brawl classic is better in every way possible.

2. Having the stupidly hard challenges un hammerable is just a slap in the face to the people who are not smash experts and want those trophies or music or whatever.

Last edited:

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
Well, now that I have the game and have played it for a couple weeks now, I think I can say what the worst parts of the game are.

1. Smash Tour. It's terrible. This is where Adventure Mode should have been.
2. Target Blast. It's terrible. This is where Break the Targets should have been.

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
I've been playing the WiiU version. Mechanically, Smash 4 is the best Smash game yet.
But I have a few points I want to make.
  • The usual Wario criticism, which is that the most representation from Wario games are from the Wario Ware games. To be fair, the Wario Ware games have essentially formed Wario's profile these days, and maybe changing his movesets too greatly would be detrimental to people who appreacite Wario as he were and as he is. Sigh, Wario Land 4 tho..
  • Smashville feels very redundant. I'd rather not have it in at all.
  • I don't mind Mario Circuit Brawl as a stage that much, but it's weird when the new Mario Kart 8-representing stage is also Mario Circuit. I would've kept Mario Circuit Brawl, but had the Mario Kart 8 track be based on, I dunno, Mario Kart Stadium? Cloud Top Cruise would've been cool too! There are some other locations I would've picked before Mario Circuit.
  • I don't think I would've mind if Lucina was a costume and we had one less character on the rooster. I might be not realizing any further differences between her and Marth, so take that with a grain of salt. I'd say the same about Dark Pit. Dr. Mario feels more different from Mario then Marth / Dark Pit does their originator, and he's a cool choice to bring back, so I don't mind him.
Here's a bigger one about single-player.

As the series has gotten older, the thematic mystique from the various single-player modes have dissipated more and more as the series has streamlined the flow of which you play through it. Smash Bros 64's final battle was almost frightening in how out of place it felt at the time, along with the fore-boding intro music and world ending last hit on Master Hand. There wasn't really much of a story going on, but the storytelling within the game was outer-worldly and really cool to me. Although, this was me as a kid, Melee had some of the same stuff going on via Crazy Hand and the various Adventure Mode stages.

Brawl didn't really have much of this. I didn't find Tabuu as outer-worldly frightening as much as just a villain I wanted to take down. Master / Crazy Hand coming into the frame for Final Destination was getting ordinary, as they got in at the same time to music that felt way less fore-boading. Smash 4 continues this. Music goes off directly with guitars and everything. It's exhilarating, but not scary.

Along with that, I'd love to see some single player Adventure Mode-type quest. Subspace Emissary is way too long, and not really that fun to return to, so I honestly understand why a sequel wasn't included in Smash 4 (to not spend time on less "focused" gamemodes, if you understand what I mean).

Adventure Mode was cool because it featured locals from the different game worlds represented in Smash, which Subspace had none of. What if you made, like, a singleplayer gamemode with a world-map with Paper Mario: Sticker Star style progression and had players go through the different game-worlds! And cutscenes and locations from cool games and and Koopa Kids and an-*ventilates*

I'm not mad that Sakurai decided it wasn't worth it to produce another long single-player mode. But, it's so easy to have fond memories of how cool Smash single-player has been, and equally exciting to think about what could've been.​

Last edited:

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
I didn't find Tabuu as outer-worldly frightening as much as just a villain I wanted to take down. Master / Crazy Hand coming into the frame for Final Destination was getting ordinary, as they got in at the same time to music that felt way less fore-boading. Smash 4 continues this. Music goes off directly with guitars and everything. It's exhilarating, but not scary.
Are you sure that the reason you weren't as scared in newer Smash Bros. games is just because you were older? I mean, I was already 13 by the time the first Smash Bros. game came out and I didn't find it scary at all. Whereas I might have if I were younger.

Tyketto

Smash Cadet
On the 3DS, the last skin you used for a character is preserved, but this doesn't happen on the Wii U version. Not sure why this is, but it was a nice little feature.

A tiny gripe that really doesn't affect anything in the bigger picture, but there you go.

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
Are you sure that the reason you weren't as scared in newer Smash Bros. games is just because you were older? I mean, I was already 13 by the time the first Smash Bros. game came out and I didn't find it scary at all. Whereas I might have if I were younger.
You might be right, but I don't think it's entirely my age that de-mystified single player in later iterations of Smash for me. There are tangible story-telling techinques going on in SSB and SSBM I can point to that got used less or not at all in SSBB and SSB4.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
You might be right, but I don't think it's entirely my age that de-mystified single player in later iterations of Smash for me. There are tangible story-telling techinques going on in SSB and SSBM I can point to that got used less or not at all in SSBB and SSB4.
Like what story telling techniques? Just out of curiosity. I don't recall any story telling in the first SSB game.

On the 3DS, the last skin you used for a character is preserved, but this doesn't happen on the Wii U version. Not sure why this is, but it was a nice little feature.

A tiny gripe that really doesn't affect anything in the bigger picture, but there you go.
I believe the reason for that is with the 3DS it always assumes you are the same player, whereas in the Wii U version it always assumes you're a different player (hence why you have to always put your name in).

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
You know, the absolute worst ****ing part about this game is unquestionably the fact that L+R+A+Start is still the way to end a match on the ****ing Wii U Gamepad.

Do they think we have two thumbs on our right hand or something?

Absolutely unacceptable.

Worst game ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom