• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Worst part of Super Smash Bros 4? Game is out everywhere, go ape ****!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Be happy. Ridley is a playable character now. Everyone should be so happy, it's what everyone wanted.
(Ridley is only playable by the AI . . . but that's another story :) )
I think you need to learn what playable means. Playable means something that the player can play as, the AI doesn't "play" anything. Master Hand isn't playable, Crazy Hand isn't playable, Master Core isn't playable, Waluigi isn't playable, Ridley isn't playable.

Personally I'm going to pin how they handled Ridley as the worst part of Smash 4, not only the lead-up, but the humiliating pay-off by making him a big pet that you yourself is encouraged to beat the **** out of. It's even worse than Dynablade Ridley in Brawl. Pyrosphere is definitely going off the random stage switch the second I get the game, though it probably would have done so anyways since it's such a huge cluster****.

the8thark

Smash Lord
I think you need to learn what playable means. Playable means something that the player can play as, the AI doesn't "play" anything. Master Hand isn't playable, Crazy Hand isn't playable, Master Core isn't playable, Waluigi isn't playable, Ridley isn't playable.

Personally I'm going to pin how they handled Ridley as the worst part of Smash 4, not only the lead-up, but the humiliating pay-off by making him a big pet that you yourself is encouraged to beat the **** out of. It's even worse than Dynablade Ridley in Brawl. Pyrosphere is definitely going off the random stage switch the second I get the game, though it probably would have done so anyways since it's such a huge cluster****.
Two points.

1. What I said was a joke. People need to lighten up. Smile, SSB4 looks amazing no matter how the Ridley issue turned out.
2. I think how Ridley was put in SSB4 will be loved or hated and nothing in between. I actually like it a lot. And I won't turn off any stage off my random stage roster initially. I'll play all the stages for a while and see what I like. Looking at videos is nothing when compared to playing the game for real. You are allowed to hate the stage, everyone has their own opinions. But there's no need to yell at the people who think Sakurai got it right with Ridley. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Last edited:

Heefe

Smash Apprentice
I can't transfer all the things from Smash 3DS to Smash Wii U... only Mii data and items... which I don't use anyway. So now I have to play Classic, All Star, Multi Man all over again with every character... I probably won't... it's just too boring.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I agree 100%. They were right. They just didn't specify player playable or AI playable only. The Ridley fans got Ridley in the game in a cool way. And the anti-Ridley crowd know he's limited to one stage and he's not on the roster.

How can this be bad. This way the Pro and anti Ridley crowd both win.

I think Sakural knew a portion of the SSB fans wanted Ridley in the game. And another portion realised he's not the best candidate for a human playable character. So Sakurai did the best of both worlds, put him in the game without opening up the massive can of worms of him being human playable. I think Sakurai deserves praise for this.
Why should the anti-Ridley crowd get their way? No anti-character crowd should get their way ever, specially a crowd that asks to ignore one of Nintendo's most prominent antagonists, and what can of worms? Would playable Ridley really bother you so much? Are you really that dense?

the8thark

Smash Lord
Why should the anti-Ridley crowd get their way? No anti-character crowd should get their way ever, specially a crowd that asks to ignore one of Nintendo's most prominent antagonists, and what can of worms? Would playable Ridley really bother you so much? Are you really that dense?
The pro crowd wanted Ridley in the game. The anti crowd didn't want Ridley as a human playable character. Both sides got what they wanted. That's all there is to it really.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
The pro crowd wanted Ridley in the game. The anti crowd didn't want Ridley as a human playable character. Both sides got what they wanted. That's all there is to it really.
The pro Ridley crowd wanted Ridley playable, not just "in the game". They would've already gotten what they wanted the moment they saw him in that Direct teaser half a year ago if that was the case. I don't even care that much about Ridley, and I can understand a simple concept such as that. I'd ask why anybody would be anti-Ridley in the first place, but I don't care. You cannot be legitmately anti-Ridley, yet agree with Wii Fit Trainer. You CANNOT.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure most of the Ridley is too big meme sayers were having a laugh at the Ridley fanboys' expense and could care less if he was in the game or not.

Nobody won anything because he never had a chance after he was revealed as a stage hazard.

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord
The pro Ridley crowd wanted Ridley playable, not just "in the game". They would've already gotten what they wanted the moment they saw him in that Direct teaser half a year ago if that was the case. I don't even care that much about Ridley, and I can understand a simple concept such as that. I'd ask why anybody would be anti-Ridley in the first place, but I don't care. You cannot be legitmately anti-Ridley, yet agree with Wii Fit Trainer. You CANNOT.
Wii Fit is the "what the ****" or joke character. Like:
Jiggly in N64
Pichu in Melee
ROB in Brawl.
All fighting games should have a joke character. Just because some people like the challenge of using some garbage character that can't really fight and get good enough with it to make it worthwhile playing.

Ridley is in the game. I think people should just be happy for that. I am happy how it ended up. I would not have guessed this. But it's better than my expectations. Can people just be happy for what is in SSB4?

Neko-Knight

Smash Cadet
Are you being intentionally obtuse? Do you really think the massive support for Ridley was "as long as he is in the game, anything is fine"? That's never been the point of a support thread, and Ridley had the most populated thread on the board.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Are you being intentionally obtuse? Do you really think the massive support for Ridley was "as long as he is in the game, anything is fine"? That's never been the point of a support thread, and Ridley had the most populated thread on the board.
Please keep the harsh name calling of others to yourself.
Secondly Ridley was popular on these boards I will agree with you. People wanted him in the game, that is true. What the reasons is, doesn't really matter now. Sure lots of people wanted him as a humanly playable character, but they should be happy it is in the game at all. If it was not in the game at all and not mentioned on the Direct, I think even more people would be unhappy.

The 50+ points made SSB look totally amazing. So what if Ridley is not a playable character, we will all love SSB4 WIiU still.
(You all know my personal opinion on this matter, but even I have to say, time to move on from the whole Ridley issue and just enjoy the amazing SSB4 we will have soon. I know it's hard to do this when both sides keep egging each other on and adding more fuel to this fire. I'm guilty of this just like some others here on these forums are as well. The facts are that SSB4 WiiU will be amazing. Ridley as how it will be in SSB4 will not diminish our fun at all. And if you hate the stage, the turn it off in your random stage roster. Problem solved. And we can just wait for the release dates so we can then enjoy this great game).

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
Ridley is in the game. I think people should just be happy for that. I am happy how it ended up. I would not have guessed this. But it's better than my expectations. Can people just be happy for what is in SSB4?
People wanted him playable. Instead they get an annoying overbearing gimmick that ruins whatever potential this Metroid stage had, which mind you, is the ONLY new Metroid stage. That's double the insult. I myself wouldn't have been against Ridley at all, but despise how he ruins a perfectly good stage with another terrible gimmick. Ridley fans would probably feel better if he wasn't in the game at all. I know I would've been pissed off if Isaac showed up in some stage as an overbearing level gimmick.

It's only a matter of respect.

Neko-Knight

Smash Cadet
Please keep the harsh name calling of others to yourself.
Secondly Ridley was popular on these boards I will agree with you. People wanted him in the game, that is true. What the reasons is, doesn't really matter now. Sure lots of people wanted him as a humanly playable character, but they should be happy it is in the game at all. If it was not in the game at all and not mentioned on the Direct, I think even more people would be unhappy.

The 50+ points made SSB look totally amazing. So what if Ridley is not a playable character, we will all love SSB4 WIiU still.
(You all know my personal opinion on this matter, but even I have to say, time to move on from the whole Ridley issue and just enjoy the amazing SSB4 we will have soon. I know it's hard to do this when both sides keep egging each other on and adding more fuel to this fire. I'm guilty of this just like some others here on these forums are as well. The facts are that SSB4 WiiU will be amazing. Ridley as how it will be in SSB4 will not diminish our fun at all. And if you hate the stage, the turn it off in your random stage roster. Problem solved. And we can just wait for the release dates so we can then enjoy this great game).
Forgive my harsh phrasing, but I was confused how someone could be under the impression that the Ridley fanbase "got what they wanted" when that couldn't be further from the truth. It's easy to say "You should be fine with what you got" when you yourself never wanted that thing. I don't care about Lucas or Wolf but I wouldnt say to their fans "Be happy they got in as trophies." I agree that the WiiU version has a lot to offer but Ridley fans will still be missing their favorite character. Good for Ridley detractors (detractors should never be appeased), not good for Ridley fans.

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord
People wanted him playable. Instead they get an annoying overbearing gimmick that ruins whatever potential this Metroid stage had, which mind you, is the ONLY new Metroid stage. That's double the insult. I myself wouldn't have been against Ridley at all, but despise how he ruins a perfectly good stage with another terrible gimmick. Ridley fans would probably feel better if he wasn't in the game at all. I know I would've been pissed off if Isaac showed up in some stage as an overbearing level gimmick.

It's only a matter of respect.
If you don't like gimmics, go play the Final Destination versions of the stages. Seriously, Sakurai makes an amazing game and people just go on and on about how their favourite character is ruined because it's a stage boss and not humanly playable. No SSB game will be perfect in everyone's eyes. I had to live with Roy being a Melee exclusive. I was salty about that for ages but I eventually moved on and learnt to enjoy Brawl for what it was. I with in time people will get over the Ridley thing and learn to enjoy SSB4 for what it is.

Forgive my harsh phrasing, but I was confused how someone could be under the impression that the Ridley fanbase "got what they wanted" when that couldn't be further from the truth. It's easy to say "You should be fine with what you got" when you yourself never wanted that thing. I don't care about Lucas or Wolf but I wouldnt say to their fans "Be happy they got in as trophies." I agree that the WiiU version has a lot to offer but Ridley fans will still be missing their favorite character. Good for Ridley detractors (detractors should never be appeased), not good for Ridley fans.
Well said. But a few points to what you said.

1. Saying no to things is as important as saying yes to them. Knowing when to say which is important. Say yes to the good things and no to the bad things. Detractors (or no people) have just as much right to an opition as the pro (or yea people).
2. I agree with you 100% that all cuts hurt. I'm not laughing at the Ridley fans. I'm just saying to take everything about SSB4 into perspective. Should being salty about how Sakurai treated one character linger on so much that it taints your SSB4 WIiU experience?
I had to get over Roy being cut, and the Ridley fans just have to accept how Ridley is now. I know that sounds harsh and I know it does hurt, (I do sympathise with the Ridley fans), but we have to draw the line somewhere. Every Smash game will have at least someone missing their favourite character to play as. That's a fact. Has happened in all 4 Smash games.

There is an upside to this. The Ridley fans now know his fate and will not spend months hoping he will be in DLC.

"It's easy to say "You should be fine with what you got" when you yourself never wanted that thing."
Very true but I had to say it about Roy who I loved to bits in Melee. He was my Melee main. But I had to move on and say "should be fine with what you got" and enjoy the fun to be had there. it takes time I know to get over it but eventually people do.

Last edited:

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
Ridley fans wanted a PLAYABLE Ridley, not a glorified stage hazard.

Ridley fans are the Captain Ahab, and a playable Ridley the Moby ****. They will forever chase after their goal.

Ridley fans will NEVER be satisfied until they see Ridley in a playable form.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
If you don't like gimmics, go play the Final Destination versions of the stages. Seriously, Sakurai makes an amazing game and people just go on and on about how their favourite character is ruined because it's a stage boss and not humanly playable. No SSB game will be perfect in everyone's eyes. I had to live with Roy being a Melee exclusive. I was salty about that for ages but I eventually moved on and learnt to enjoy Brawl for what it was. I with in time people will get over the Ridley thing and learn to enjoy SSB4 for what it is.
There are infinite reasons why Final Destination is not, and should not be the defining competitive stage. Not the way Sakurai thinks it should be. It's almost like he used the fact that every stage has a final destination form as an excuse to make normal stages even more batshiit insane. (Even self proclaimed "casual" players would've liked normal Magicant or Streetpass Quest were it not for the stupid AI's taking up half the fight) It leaves the competitive community and pretty much everyone else wishing for stages that are actually good for fair multiplayer games.

What, don't YOU miss the days where the PLAYER INTERACTION is what mattered most, and not the "dodge the pre-programmed stage hazard" sideshows? I'm frankly quite sick of seeing everything BUT the actual fight taking place because something more "important" needs priority, something that has nothing to do with the game's multiplayer interaction.

And hell, if you liked Roy, you'd probably be pissed too to see him become a stage hazard in a level you would've loved, were it not for him making it pure chaos.

Neko-Knight

Smash Cadet
There is an upside to this. The Ridley fans now know his fate and will not spend months hoping he will be in DLC
The sad thing is, this could have been settled OVER A YEAR AGO had they just conclusively stated that Ridley isn't going to be playable when they revealed Pyrosphere instead of tiptoeing around the issue for so long. I'm sure everyone would have been much happier to not get their hopes up.

the8thark

Smash Lord
There are infinite reasons why Final Destination is not, and should not be the defining competitive stage. Not the way Sakurai thinks it should be. It's almost like he used the fact that every stage has a final destination form as an excuse to make normal stages even more batshiit insane. (Even self proclaimed "casual" players would've liked normal Magicant or Streetpass Quest were it not for the stupid AI's taking up half the fight) It leaves the competitive community and pretty much everyone else wishing for stages that are actually good for fair multiplayer games.

What, don't YOU miss the days where the PLAYER INTERACTION is what mattered most, and not the "dodge the pre-programmed stage hazard" sideshows? I'm frankly quite sick of seeing everything BUT the actual fight taking place because something more "important" needs priority, something that has nothing to do with the game's multiplayer interaction.

And hell, if you liked Roy, you'd probably be pissed too to see him become a stage hazard in a level you would've loved, were it not for him making it pure chaos.
I didn't talk about competitive tournament worthy stages. I just said if people hate gimicks, final destination versions exist. I have to agree I think Sakurai did go a little overboard with the stage hazards. But I can't personally say how good or bad these stages are till I play them in December (the US people will be able to tell us their opinions 2 weeks earlier). I really think this is a case of wait and see after we play on the stages.
Sure people don't like some Hazards on the 3DS but that's a totally different kettle of fish because of the screensize.

Player interaction still exists but it's different to how it was years ago. Things evolve. And I'm sure there'll be enough kicking the crap out of your opponents on all stages so I don't see the stage hazards to be an issue. If there is a stage I don't like (like Norfair "the one with the rising lava) I'll just remove it from my random stage roster. Problem solved.

To me Roy is either a playable character or he is not. If he was a stage hazard I'd treat him as a non playable character. What the stage hazards are really don't matter to me. I would be pissed that Roy was cut (And I was for a time). Roy as a stage hazard or not in the game changes nothing really as both forms are not humanly playable.

Also as a last point, Ridley in brawl and SSB4 is the same, a stage hazard/boss/AI character. He was never a playable character that was cut. The Ridley fans never lost their main because Ridley was never their main to begin with. Having your main cut is a totally different and hard feeling to deal with. But eventually you get over it. This is comparing apples to oranges though. But both hurt for a time.

The sad thing is, this could have been settled OVER A YEAR AGO had they just conclusively stated that Ridley isn't going to be playable when they revealed Pyrosphere instead of tiptoeing around the issue for so long. I'm sure everyone would have been much happier to not get their hopes up.
Be salty at Sakurai for that. I honestly think back then they had not finalised Ridley so there was nothing to talk about it, apart from Sakurai trolling us (which I agree he should not have done).

Last edited:

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
I like Ridley (and Metroid in general) and would've loved to see him playable. But I'm totally fine that he isn't. No complaint from me.

We got Mewtwo. The character I've been spending half my time on Smashboards whining about. I'm 110% satisfied. I told myself I would be if we got Mewtwo, Wolf, OR Ridley. I'm fine with just one because I don't wanna have too many mains. Most serious competitive Smashers will tell you to stick to 2-3 especially if you're at a "lower" level.

Illuvial

Exploring Tallon IV
NNID
Illuvial
3DS FC
1435-3676-0317
Switch FC
SW-1736-8649-2292
I agree 100%. They were right. They just didn't specify player playable or AI playable only. The Ridley fans got Ridley in the game in a cool way. And the anti-Ridley crowd know he's limited to one stage and he's not on the roster.

How can this be bad. This way the Pro and anti Ridley crowd both win.

I think Sakural knew a portion of the SSB fans wanted Ridley in the game. And another portion realised he's not the best candidate for a human playable character. So Sakurai did the best of both worlds, put him in the game without opening up the massive can of worms of him being human playable. I think Sakurai deserves praise for this.
I agree with this completely

Honestly I find the Pro-Ridley whiners ridiculously annoying, they just don't have a valid argument, especially since he's implemented in the game wonderfully regardless

Super Writer

Smash Apprentice
I think the problem is Metroid really could use another playable rep, but Samus is the only popular character in that series that could have worked, besides Dark Samus, who was clearly shown to be capable of being her own character with her assist...

I hate to throw out the too big argument, but the livestream did indirectly make it itself, in simply showing Ridley is like three times Dedede's size. It works on the open Pyrosphere stage, but imagine that guy on Luigi's Mansion, or Pilotwings, he would stick out through the floor, or worse, an 8-player Ridley battle, or even 4 of them, heck even 2! He's just one of those characters that unfortunately doesn't work with the mechanics of the game, and let's be honest shrinking him would turn him into a little toothpick dragon and that would be kind of lame.

That said, shame on anyone rubbing salt in the wound for the Ridley fans. Seriously, low blow.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I was really looking forward to Pyrosphere until they turned it into a freaking circus with Ridley as the "jester everyone picks on". I found this to actually be a slap in the face. Yellow Devil and Metal Face at least has some dignity as bosses. Ridley will side whoever "is the strongest" and can then be KO'd. This was Sakurai's feeble attempt to make Ridley an integral part of the game but not as a playable character. Personally,8 would have preferred him NOT in the game rather than this failed attempt at pleasing an already inflamed fanbase that endured over a year of Sakurai's trolling. As a Ridley fan, a Metroid fan, a Smash Bros, fan, and a Nintendo fan - I was sorely disappointed to see that a freaking puffball such as Jiggz can enslave Ridley and then KO him just like that.

Imagine if we had Cerulean Cave for a stage with Mewtwo as a boss that would side with the strongest character and then be KO'd for "lol I KO'd Mew2". Mewtwo fans would be justifiably angry about this cause that's not what Mewtwo is about and not is Ridley.

Anyways, I'll be purchasing the game, playing Pyrosphere once just to see Ridley, and then turning it off cause his inclusion is an abomination to everything he stood for and represented in the Metroid series. And that's my honest and truthful opinion as a fan. I really hope we can turn off bosses cause I want to enjoy Pyrosphere without being reminded every time that "troll lolz here is the trauma from Samus' past as a stage boss!"

And then they include Dark Pit over Dark Samus, a character that Sakurai demonstrated to be different Samus. I'm not one to say that Sakurai hates Metroid mostly cause I don't believe that but we have two or three (if you include Higgs) reasonably good potential newcomers and they are regulated to AT/Boss/Prob a trophy. It's just something I am not too happy about. Yes, they are in the game and it's good to see them but, as a fan, it wasn't something I wanted and felt it was a disservice to Metroid fans who continue to support and enjoy the Smash games. I do admit tho Ridley does look boss when he's not being dominated by freaking R.O.B. Oh, and I wonder if Kirby can suck in Ridley and copy his abilities...

Now, if we get Phaaze, Phendrana Drifts, Skytown, or Orpheon...I'll be a bit more happy (oh and **** Nofair). I'm dirty to anyone who had to read my triad of angry Metroid tears. Plus, I wrote it on my phone which sucks and lags when I type so I don't really care if it has spelling/grammar mistakes. What I do care about is my poor Ridz and the series he is from. TBH, I'm happy with the roster but I'm just unhappy how Ridley could if been handled. Maybe if the owner couldn't KO him, it would if been less offensive. Or suppose he changes sides based on who is winning. He deserves much more than having a puff ball or a black shadow be his master.

Last edited:

Neko-Knight

Smash Cadet
I think the problem is Metroid really could use another playable rep, but Samus is the only popular character in that series that could have worked, besides Dark Samus, who was clearly shown to be capable of being her own character with her assist...

I hate to throw out the too big argument, but the livestream did indirectly make it itself, in simply showing Ridley is like three times Dedede's size. It works on the open Pyrosphere stage, but imagine that guy on Luigi's Mansion, or Pilotwings, he would stick out through the floor, or worse, an 8-player Ridley battle, or even 4 of them, heck even 2! He's just one of those characters that unfortunately doesn't work with the mechanics of the game, and let's be honest shrinking him would turn him into a little toothpick dragon and that would be kind of lame.

That said, shame on anyone rubbing salt in the wound for the Ridley fans. Seriously, low blow.
Dark Samus would have been a great new character. No love for the Metroid series, apparently.

I'm sure that people would start to accept a smaller, playable Ridley if they just saw it in a Smash game. Imagine if Ridley were in the game since Melee and it was Bowser who was still waiting for his turn. If Bowser didn't have a smaller version of himself already, people would be saying "Bowser is too big! Look at him in Mario Galaxy! If you made him small, it would just look like a ****** turtle! That would totally destroy his character!"

The point is, people need to see to believe. It would just take ONE game for people to accept Minidley as an acceptable portrayal of the character. Even if his first appearance in Smash were awkwardly implemented, like Mewtwo, there would be tremendous support to make it work.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Well, I'm pretty skeptical about the 8-player multiplayer feature. Looks way too intense for me even on the big stages.

Super Writer

Smash Apprentice
Dark Samus would have been a great new character. No love for the Metroid series, apparently.

I'm sure that people would start to accept a smaller, playable Ridley if they just saw it in a Smash game. Imagine if Ridley were in the game since Melee and it was Bowser who was still waiting for his turn. If Bowser didn't have a smaller version of himself already, people would be saying "Bowser is too big! Look at him in Mario Galaxy! If you made him small, it would just look like a ****** turtle! That would totally destroy his character!"

The point is, people need to see to believe. It would just take ONE game for people to accept Minidley as an acceptable portrayal of the character. Even if his first appearance in Smash were awkwardly implemented, like Mewtwo, there would be tremendous support to make it work.
I agree, but I just don't see it happening. At least without some outside influence.

See, I think Ridley's just covered in too many design issues to implement him into the games, and unless Sakurai makes Metroid Uprising I doubt we'll see him forced into the game, but perhaps if an example could be made, like a full Ridley mod for Brawl that's viable in competitive scenes, is generally liked and really popular, it might send a message.

Just saying those Project M guys completely recreated Mewtwo, would it be possible to do the same with Ridley? Sure it's probably harder than it sounds, but I do feel that's his best chance at all, show the original creators how much fans want him and how much they are willing to put in in order to play as him on a competitive level. Set the example, and hope they follow.

Worse case scenario, there would then be a sweet mod that proves Ridley could work in Smash.

P.S. I emphasize competitive level because Tatsunoko vs Capcom had two giant characters who are neat novelties, but also abysmal in tournaments so they get ignored often.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I wholly understand why Ridley got the treatment he did and I'm alright up to the point where you can KO him while on your team. I find that completely opposite of what Ridley represents and a great offense to that character.

I'm also not a huge fan of the lack of Metroid, DK, LoZ, and retro representation. In truth, DH is really the only true retro rep. Little Mac is a rebooted retro and no longer a true retro in my eyes (not that's a bad thing).

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I think my issue with Ridley being playable is that an integral part of his design IMO is about being huge. It's not that he's too big to be in Smash perse, it's that if he wasn't big he wouldn't really be Ridley, would he? That's like if we got Kraid and he was about Mario's height, ya know?

Either way the worst part about Smash 4 would be features, at least up until that Direct showing off the huge WiiU feature list so, I can't nitpick anymore agh!

SunnyDust

Smash Journeyman
It all depends on who you're referring to. Bowser, Donkey Kong, and Diddy Kong still have the realistic animal voices, and yet Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings are getting away with their typical Mario franchise voices.
Oh, that. I guess I can understand then. It's just that I've found your post quite confusing.

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
SSBWii U is love...

From what I have seen, Ridely is my only "awww... that sucks." I LOVE Metriod but I am not a die hard Ridely fan. At the end of the day I still think he deserves a playable slot more than most, a lot more.

I am dissapointed that he is a glorified stage hazard that you can K.O. Sure, you get a point for K.Oing him. Sure, he even has his own icon. But fans want to PLAY as Ridely, not K.O. him. Sakurai basically said he's a little more important than the Flying Men and Metal Face. A classic boss is a step up from generic bird wrestlers that probably inspire Hawlucha and one of boss. *shake head*

Well, I got Mewtwo, so all is well. Sorry Ridely fans. You tried and you were trolled so hard. They could shrink Ridely to be playable. They did it with Bowser. To be honest, most characters aren't correctly per portioned to their series sizes.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I don't like how every Metroid stage in the series so far has been lava or acid based. To those unfamilar with the series, it probably looks like Metroid is just Lava World: The Game. Wheres Phendrana Drifts?

Last edited:

PCHU

Smash Lord
I don't like how every Metroid stage in the series so far has been lava or acid based. To those unfamilar with the series, it probably looks like Metroid is just Lava World: The Game. Wheres Phendrana Drifts?
Actually, if they wanted to keep with the "THE FLOOR IS ALWAYS LAVA" theme, they could've put in Impact Crater or even Phaaze; I think those two would be far more interesting than Pyrosphere.
Still, Phendrana Drifts was my favorite place (had the best music), and I'm sure it'd make for a cool Magicant-esque stage.

As far as my gripes go, I'm tired of people running away the whole match.
It used to be a lot more punishable, but the whole game seems geared toward people who turtle and camp, and I end up just suiciding those matches because I don't want to deal with it.
Roll spam is another thing; I've gotten to the point where I can bait and punish, but when I predict the roll, dsmash accordingly, and still whiff, the game is being way too forgiving.
I just want to throw my 2DS sometimes because the worst hit-and-run game I've ever had to deal with was Falco and maybe ROB as a close second, not every other match like this one.

Another thing is that the "auto combo" system tends to fail.
I'm guessing that they did the jab combo thing to make people feel better about landing a hit, but I often find people just bouncing right out of mine when I use it, and I've just stopped using it at all because the animation has way too much endlag if you miss, which due to the way it's made, it shouldn't miss.
Which leads to my main problem -- the game just feels unresponsive overall due to the startup on a lot of moves and massive endlag.
I was looking forward to an even playing field amongst the characters since it actually wasn't too bad in Brawl, but I think they're still missing the concept of what makes a character solid without making them too good or nerfing them to the floor.
I hope my opinion will change as the game progresses because I want to be proven wrong, but I'm just not having fun.

And yet I keep playing because it's the only thing that other people play.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Actually, if they wanted to keep with the "THE FLOOR IS ALWAYS LAVA" theme, they could've put in Impact Crater or even Phaaze; I think those two would be far more interesting than Pyrosphere.
Still, Phendrana Drifts was my favorite place (had the best music), and I'm sure it'd make for a cool Magicant-esque stage.
That's just my bias towards Ice Stages, which this game is SEVERELY lacking.
I remembered that was that Metroid Prime stage in Brawl that flips over though the name of it escapes me at the moment. So one non-lava/acid stage. Whoopdie-freaking-doo....

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I was really looking forward to Pyrosphere until they turned it into a freaking circus with Ridley as the "jester everyone picks on". I found this to actually be a slap in the face. Yellow Devil and Metal Face at least has some dignity as bosses. Ridley will side whoever "is the strongest" and can then be KO'd. This was Sakurai's feeble attempt to make Ridley an integral part of the game but not as a playable character. Personally,8 would have preferred him NOT in the game rather than this failed attempt at pleasing an already inflamed fanbase that endured over a year of Sakurai's trolling. As a Ridley fan, a Metroid fan, a Smash Bros, fan, and a Nintendo fan - I was sorely disappointed to see that a freaking puffball such as Jiggz can enslave Ridley and then KO him just like that.

Imagine if we had Cerulean Cave for a stage with Mewtwo as a boss that would side with the strongest character and then be KO'd for "lol I KO'd Mew2". Mewtwo fans would be justifiably angry about this cause that's not what Mewtwo is about and not is Ridley.

Anyways, I'll be purchasing the game, playing Pyrosphere once just to see Ridley, and then turning it off cause his inclusion is an abomination to everything he stood for and represented in the Metroid series. And that's my honest and truthful opinion as a fan. I really hope we can turn off bosses cause I want to enjoy Pyrosphere without being reminded every time that "troll lolz here is the trauma from Samus' past as a stage boss!"

And then they include Dark Pit over Dark Samus, a character that Sakurai demonstrated to be different Samus. I'm not one to say that Sakurai hates Metroid mostly cause I don't believe that but we have two or three (if you include Higgs) reasonably good potential newcomers and they are regulated to AT/Boss/Prob a trophy. It's just something I am not too happy about. Yes, they are in the game and it's good to see them but, as a fan, it wasn't something I wanted and felt it was a disservice to Metroid fans who continue to support and enjoy the Smash games. I do admit tho Ridley does look boss when he's not being dominated by freaking R.O.B. Oh, and I wonder if Kirby can suck in Ridley and copy his abilities...

Now, if we get Phaaze, Phendrana Drifts, Skytown, or Orpheon...I'll be a bit more happy (oh and **** Nofair). I'm dirty to anyone who had to read my triad of angry Metroid tears. Plus, I wrote it on my phone which sucks and lags when I type so I don't really care if it has spelling/grammar mistakes. What I do care about is my poor Ridz and the series he is from. TBH, I'm happy with the roster but I'm just unhappy how Ridley could if been handled. Maybe if the owner couldn't KO him, it would if been less offensive. Or suppose he changes sides based on who is winning. He deserves much more than having a puff ball or a black shadow be his master.
I think you are just being over dramatic and taking things way to serious. How could one take offense over Ridley's inclusion seeing how awesome his boss battle looks and even having him pummeling foes for you? He has a very defined role, he is getting acknowledgement and perhaps more recognition than almost any other NPC Smash character but somehow this is an insult? Do you feel offended at the fact that Ganondorf, the King of Evil, can be KO'ed by a Pichu or fight along his nemesis Link as well? Or Frank West beating up Dormammu? This is the kind of thinking that you need to throw out of the window whenever you approach crossovers.
I can't understand how people take fan-service of this kind and twist to make it look as a personal offense. So I have to say that calling Sakurai's attempts "feeble" or "failed" is a completely inaccurate statement, since he implemented Ridley as a boss just fine. And I'm gonna beat the dead horse just a little bit and say that Ridley was never teased as a playable character but as a boss; sure they never stated anything clearly but everything was hinting at this. Sakurai didn't trolled the Metroid fanbase, they were doing this to themselves.
Therefore I, as a Ridley fan, a Metroid fan, a Smash Bros, fan, and a Nintendo fan - I'm glad to see Ridley in his current role and become able to fight him or fight at his side.

In his home series, Mewtwo can be caught and confined in a ball even without having to fight him at all only to be forced to do a 10 year-old's bidding. Tell me how fighting alongside someone is worse than that?

PCHU

Smash Lord
That's just my bias towards Ice Stages, which this game is SEVERELY lacking.
I remembered that was that Metroid Prime stage in Brawl that flips over though the name of it escapes me at the moment. So one non-lava/acid stage. Whoopdie-freaking-doo....
Frigate Orpheon was awesome...for Metaknight.
I always felt bad when I picked it because I never lost a match there and it felt like too much of a crutch, so I became attached to Smashville.

I think there should be a Tallon Overworld stage, or maybe a Delphino Plaza-like level where it visits the different sections, or maybe something like Castle Siege.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I think you are just being over dramatic and taking things way to serious. How could one take offense over Ridley's inclusion seeing how awesome his boss battle looks and even having him pummeling foes for you? He has a very defined role, he is getting acknowledgement and perhaps more recognition than almost any other NPC Smash character but somehow this is an insult? Do you feel offended at the fact that Ganondorf, the King of Evil, can be KO'ed by a Pichu or fight along his nemesis Link as well? Or Frank West beating up Dormammu? This is the kind of thinking that you need to throw out of the window whenever you approach crossovers.
I can't understand how people take fan-service of this kind and twist to make it look as a personal offense. So I have to say that calling Sakurai's attempts "feeble" or "failed" is a completely inaccurate statement, since he implemented Ridley as a boss just fine. And I'm gonna beat the dead horse just a little bit and say that Ridley was never teased as a playable character but as a boss; sure they never stated anything clearly but everything was hinting at this. Sakurai didn't trolled the Metroid fanbase, they were doing this to themselves.
Therefore I, as a Ridley fan, a Metroid fan, a Smash Bros, fan, and a Nintendo fan - I'm glad to see Ridley in his current role and become able to fight him or fight at his side.
Perhaps I am being a bit over-dramatic. To answer your question, I think the Smash version of a Ganondorf is pretty much an insult to the character - especially considering what the character can do in his home series. It's a failed attempt at including Ganondorf into the roster and time should have been spent making the character truer to his franchise. That of course can be hard considering particular characters but Ganondorf has a wealth of material to draw from. Ridley also has a wide variety of material to draw from as which Sakurai did and I applaud him for that. However, the execution is what failed IMO. I understand that with cross-overs that canon is thrown out of the window. However, it should still be observed and as much material pulled from it the better.

I feel I've been pretty happy with the overall product. I've never been outspoken against my hatred for Sakurai as I actually respect the man for his work. I've praised the game and all of its contents and even felt the final roster was a good one. I may hate Dark Pit but I'm not outspoken about this hatred and have tried to accept the character/be civil to his fans. That being said, I'm curious as to where this sudden criticism came from when, really, this had been the only part of a Smash 4 that has legitly made me upset as I have supported Ridley since Melee since SSBM and felt he could of been implemented a bit differently. I was never hyped or duped myself into thinking he was a lock as I knew his chances were fifty-fifty at best. Thinking back, if Ridley was playable; I would have flipped. However, I was prepared to accept that he wouldn't become playable in order to not set myself up to be let down. And I wasn't let down as inhad accepted he wouldn't be playable.

Where I had my beef was how Ridley was implemented as a stage boss. I was ok with Ridley up until I saw that the player that could team up with him can KO him. That set up my string of dissapointment as I realized that Ridley is basically an over-sized gimmick that can be used for cheap kill count and thrown away when done. As a Ridley fan, I was a bit offended. It's not that Ridley isn't playable as I was prepared for that reality.l. It's not because he is a stage boss as I expected that for Pyrosphere. It's the way he was inplemented which reinforced that Ridley is basically a character that supports the player that deals the most damage and then a free kill count whenever the player wants to. As well, people who may play on Pyrosphere will most likely use the Omega Form considering the chaotic nature of the stage which further removed Ridley.

I would call what Sakurai did as trolling as he never went out and said "Ridley is a boss" directly. He alluded to it and I don't blame people getting hyped about it. Ridley was really one of the only characters that had this treatment. All those Pyrosphere pics did little but hype Ridley fans, Sakurai understood this, and I don't blame them for being hurt by this.

Tl;dr: Yes, I'm happy that Ridley is in the game despite playable. But I disagree with the implementation due to the fact I feel it's an insult to his overall character. His role on Pyrosphere is an over-sized stage gimmick that can give the player a cheap kill count.

I'm totally fine with Ridley being a stage boss but I would of preferred that Ridley aided the player with the most wins but as soon as he or she was losing, he turns on them and attacks them. If the player tried to KO Ridley, then he instantly turns on them and demolishes them. As well, KO'ing Ridley wouldn't give a kill count.

His implementation as a stage boss has lap dog written all over it. I hope that if players, after getting Ridley to side with them, try to attack him; he attacks back in anger. Or that he will at times switch sides this switching up the game. I would be guppy if this was the case.

In any case, I was a bit over dramatic but Ridley is important to me. We shall see in a month how Ridley really is on Pyrosphere.

In his home series, Mewtwo can be caught and confined in a ball even without having to fight him at all only to be forced to do a 10 year-old's bidding. Tell me how fighting alongside someone is worse than that?
Mewtwo was a horrible comparison and I admit that. I hope I explained well why I don't like Ridley's current inclusion. It's not he's not playable, it's not because he's a stage boss. It's because his implementation isn't the Ridley I know in Metroid. Metal Face is the Metal Face I know from Xenoblade. Yellow Devil is same to his character in Mega Man. Ridley, however, is a character that can be KO'd for easy stocks and the lolz and forcing him to team up. I hope that Ridkey back stabs players and trolls everyone cause that would make me happy.

But yeah, I'm tired if talking about Ridley.

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord
Personally,8 would have preferred him NOT in the game rather than this failed attempt at pleasing an already inflamed fanbase that endured over a year of Sakurai's trolling. As a Ridley fan, a Metroid fan, a Smash Bros, fan, and a Nintendo fan - I was sorely disappointed to see that a freaking puffball such as Jiggz can enslave Ridley and then KO him just like that.
I think it's time we all took a reality check and realise no matter how much anyone ******* about Ridley, the facts wont change. He's an AI boss. Like it or don't play the stage. Those are the only two options we have.

And then they include Dark Pit over Dark Samus
This has nothing to do with Dark Pit over Dark Samus. Dark Samus was never going to make it in the game no matter what else happened. And Dark Pit is only there because of Sakurai's KI bias.

I'm just unhappy how Ridley could if been handled.
Most people have at least something they don't like about SSB as a series or how something was handled in SSB. People can keep ******** about it or they can start to take the time to understand reality and accept the SSB4 we have and like that. No SSB game will ever be perfect. Sakurai will piss off some fans in each SSB game he makes. Can't please everyone all of the time. But as long as each SSB game is pretty good overall, we should be happy.

The 50+ points were amazing and we all should be so happy to experience all of that soon. That's the most important thing I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom