• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

World>USA in smash?

jefcully

Smash Rookie
To what extent are they willing to go for nothing. This technique is large or small crowd, I'll call the turtle, everyone sits down and compact in and if someone starts to be pulled, everyone takes everyone, it seemed much quieter than many riots in Ireland, with the Real IRA, laying it DOWN.

CO18

Smash Hero
To what extent are they willing to go for nothing. This technique is large or small crowd, I'll call the turtle, everyone sits down and compact in and if someone starts to be pulled, everyone takes everyone, it seemed much quieter than many riots in Ireland, with the Real IRA, laying it DOWN.
what is this i dont even...

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
If we're talking about countries being better than eachother we shouldn't just ignore what japan has to offer other than brood and the others at apex.
If m2k played every player in japan who has even been considered close t the top, he would prolly lose a few, but that doesn't disqualify him for the best in the world. So when we're defining 'the best in the world' the only real qualification that we could find is that he has consistently won
in every country at large tournaments where the top players, by ranking, were participating. If i had proof to such an extreme I would believe hebis the best in the world by my own definition,
even if the situation weren't to such an extreme.
Actually, just forget that. The variability of being the definition of the best in the world by any of our standards is too abundant. With all that he has won, and what I have seen japan players, he could loosely be considered the best.

Please excuse my grammar and format. I am on a phone.

Vega4

Smash Ace
Why don't you provide evidence showing that M2K is number one in the world? Everytime I see people talk about Japan's metagame they speculate and make generalisations like they don't fully understand their metagame yet.

And hagger made a good point.

We know that M2K is the best in the US, but the world? Pfft.
Totally agree.
M2K is the best in the US....
The only way to know who is the best in the world is with an international tournament. Something with the top 10 of US, top 10 of Asia, top 10 of europe, and top 10 of Latin america...
The one that wins that tournament can be called "the best of the world", even if he is not the best in his own country... that's what usually happen with the champion of the uefa champions league, or with the winner of the NBA: You can be the best (the champion) even without being the best in the regular season, or even without being the best in your local league....

One more time: M2K is the best of the USA, but, USA is not the world...

You were clearly underestimating the rest of the world, and Brood proved it...

i did underestimate, but that is not a good john. Getting in is hard. Ground game/air dodge gets grabbed. Tornado gets blocked and punished. Dairs don't do anything. Any ideas?
Someone alredy wrote it:
Get better, or use another player (maybe too late), OR, pray, pray that Larry or ADHD or GNES play aganist Brood first, because otherwise, you have no chance...

Well, sorry for that last thing M2K. I know that you are a great player, but I don't like the way you play sometimes. You have the best character in the game, but still you have to use sometimes low tatics like run and planking to win....
I remember a game that you won aganist Gnes, that was low, if even I was angry, I can't imagine how was Gnes... You was just running away and taking advantage of that.... (just like you did with Brood. It's like the only chance that you see when you clearly see that someone is better than you in a match.)
I think that those tactics should be forbidden in the tournaments...

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Totally agree.
M2K is the best in the US....
The only way to know who is the best in the world is with an international tournament. Something with the top 10 of US, top 10 of Asia, top 10 of europe, and top 10 of Latin america...
The one that wins that tournament can be called "the best of the world", even if he is not the best in his own country... that's what usually happen with the champion of the uefa champions league, or with the winner of the NBA: You can be the best (the champion) even without being the best in the regular season, or even without being the best in your local league....
No no no no no.

This shows who played the best on ONE DAY. The power rankings for something like golf and tennis are not made based on one tournament, as that would favor whoever had a good day. Anyone can get lucky one day. It takes a true competitor to be consistence, and consistently taking top rankings makes a great player in my opinion, not how one fares on a specific day. People have bad days, and people have good days.

Yeah pretty much what Vocal said. Until we have our best playing against the Japanese best frequently, as opposed to just one tournament, we can't really declare who the best is.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Vrael If you want to take the variability out of how people play on any given day, we could just ban peach because she can pull out a bomb, or ban g&w because he can pull out a 9 hammer. You can blame m2k's loss on outlandish factors like he wasnt playing well that day, but I could just say I'm the best in the world but every big tournament I go to I have a bad day.
Look, I'm not denying that i have on or off days, and so do m2k and ally, but consistency Is another part of being good.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Vrael If you want to take the variability out of how people play on any given day, we could just ban peach because she can pull out a bomb, or ban g&w because he can pull out a 9 hammer. You can blame m2k's loss on outlandish factors like he wasnt playing well that day, but I could just say I'm the best in the world but every big tournament I go to I have a bad day.
Look, I'm not denying that i have on or off days, and so do m2k and ally, but consistency Is another part of being good.
Umm...I still stand by what I just said a minute ago...but M2K not consistent?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
About the best in the world talk:
Nobody can say that anyone is the best in the world. Period.
Until we can see SEVERAL worldwide tourney where literally every major region has their best players in attendance on top of their game then there is absolutely zero proof of any claims.
And guess what, the only way to prove who is the best in the world is virtually impossible.
So will we never know? Yes.

About M2K vs Brood:
I find it so funny how people here make so many conclusions based off of one set. Let's also take into consideration that one of the players in the set had a clear lack of experience against the other character. Let's also take into consideration that neither player has ever played each other before.
What happened here is a combination of not knowing Brood's playstyle and not knowing the Olimar matchup. How many times has M2K run into Olimar in tourney? I can only think of one or two Olimar players from the states and from videos I can see they don't play on the same level as Japanese top Olimars.

Give M2K time to learn the matchup and learn how Brood/Japanese Olimars play. Then let the two play several sets against each other. Then attempt to make a conclusion.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
That's not what I'm saying. Pulling a bomb, getting a 9, or even tripping is part of the game. But outside factors on one given day should not contribute to who's the best. If you set up like 4 international tournaments a year in the format you stated, then you might be able to see who the best is based on who does the best in those, but I don't think it should be based on only one. I see what you're saying though.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Umm...I still stand by what I just said a minute ago...but M2K not consistent?

He is consistent. That's why they called him the robot during the melee years. So if he is still consistent than he was just outplayed, correct? He wasn't just having an off day?
Edit: I'm not trying to put m2k down, he's an amazing player. I just noticed that this thread became a brood/m2k and my opposition towards certain point were directed towards many posts. I believe m2k is the best player in north America but until he achieves my aforementioned premise I don't think he should be called best in the world.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
He was inconsistent enough to lose multiple times, or people have gotten better, or he isn't as good.
If he had only lost to brood I wouldn't be thinking so hard about it.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
I understand what you're saying, and I agree, which I failed to convey. M2k lost consistently, right? So we can't just pawn it off as a bad day, especially when he is so consistent which you said yourself.
Oh and to haggar, I understand that some people may be like that, but such a large general statement makes it seem like you've only been exposed to the systematic person whom all countries treat as every American. Regardless if we're raised that way, not everyone believes we're better than everyone.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Okay, here are the facts:
m2k admitted in his first post in this thread that he had serious trouble.
M2k lost A LOT... enough to not win.
M2k is known for his consistency.
With all of that, I believe that brood systematically shut him down, and that him not winning proves he isn't the best in the world, but that doesn't qualify anyone else for the position.
Ugh... I can't really say what I mean. I just don't think having a bad day is a good enough excuse. It would be moreso for melee, but brawl is much more win or lose.
I'm just trying to figure out what happened to m2k that day, really, because I do want him to be the best.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I think I see what you're saying. But I don't count losing a few times in one day counts as being inconsistent. He didn't play his best for one reason or another. I'd classify is as a bad day.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
wait did u just say since brood doesnt do as well in japan but does well at apex then that means japan is better? you know Shugo took ally to last stock 140 in tourney and could be possibly 2nd best falco. Rain some say is best in Japan but he got 9th. You can't make conclusions only like that. See what I mean? Using a small amount of data is generally not a good idea. I have a lot of respect for the Japanese, but not immediate smashboards member's conclusions

with that being said I'm going to Japan next June to find out how I compare.

Vega4 you are very stupid

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
I completely withdraw my point until I get results from that. Maybe I'll have a keyboard by then (I'm on a phone, it's hard to mak points and type in general.
But can I ask m2k, what happened in the matches that you lost? Do you feel you had an off day or were you outplayed because you're used to American tourney scenes or what?

Mew2King

King of the Mews
I was playing awful vs Larry. It was my first game in ~3 hours after playing Melee and losing to hbox/armada. My decisions and timing were very off in that set. I don't mean to take away from his win, because he played very well, but I was not in the slightest compared to my normal standards.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I was playing awful vs Larry. It was my first game in ~3 hours after playing Melee and losing to hbox/armada. My decisions and timing were very off in that set. I don't mean to take away from his win, because he played very well, but I was not in the slightest compared to my normal standards.
I kind of figured it was something along these lines, especially after that SL SD on your first stock :/

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Hm, I guess that invalidates my point that it had to be something else. I just never saw that happening to you, you being known for your consistency, yaknow?

Mew2King

King of the Mews
maybe next time they do not have every important match of singles in the games within the same hour :/

after playing a few friendlies with anti (after losing to larry), I got warmed up plenty by fighting ally and lee and brood. I don't think I was playing bad at all (especially Lee, I was playing amazing against him). He just is really good, and I guess there is more to be learned about what I can do to fight back.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
You saying that you didn't know how to play broodakes me think that we shouldn't be comparing p v. p from different countries because the metagame is different everywhere. What if when you go to japan they play completely different from Americans by a long shot? From some earlier posts points, that would demote you, right? Which wouldn't make sense. (assuming you might lose against some of them.)

-Ran

Smash Master
maybe next time they do not have every important match of singles in the games within the same hour :/
This is a legitimate excuse. I've always found it hard to shift from playing Melee to Brawl, much less at a high level match. It takes me at least five minutes of playing to actually get into gear for either game. I've noticed this in other players as well.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Who cares about that stuff lol. Why does rankings matter? You could go off any logic and say Chibo beat Brood both games which makes Chibo the best. You could make any comparisons. Stuff like this doesn't matter. I guess you guys have nothing else better to do than to compare people in different ways. What you guys should be doing is getting better yourselves, enjoying matches, and entering the tournaments to keep smash alive and making a great name for yourselves or for the fun of the tourney. I don't know who is the best, but I definitely think that overall it is still probably me if you had to pick one because I'd qualify for it over anyone else due to reputation and consistency. Who cares though. I can still lose to other great players, and Brood is a very great player and he beat me. Props to him. I want to go to Japan and play them all for the trill of the competition and to see if I can beat them all. Otherwise there is little point to being good (besides money). I'm glad this game is finally getting interesting.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
This is us with serious face, because if people had that policy about brawl then planking and whatnot wouldn't have had to been regulated. The reason there is such debate is because people Want to be the best. And when people see the image of competetive brawl be beaten in a tourney by an underrated character, there will be discussion.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Planking's only valid because the timer is so small and 50 LGs are too high. 9/10 min and 30 LG makes it impossible to do without some big risk. I've ALWAYS Said the timer is way too small. No one takes me seriously, so I have to show them why it should be more. Someone is eventually going to do it anyway.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Who cares about that stuff lol. Why does rankings matter? You could go off any logic and say Chibo beat Brood both games which makes Chibo the best. You could make any comparisons. Stuff like this doesn't matter. I guess you guys have nothing else better to do than to compare people in different ways. What you guys should be doing is getting better yourselves, enjoying matches, and entering the tournaments to keep smash alive and making a great name for yourselves or for the fun of the tourney. I don't know who is the best, but I definitely think that overall it is still probably me if you had to pick one because I'd qualify for it over anyone else due to reputation and consistency. Who cares though. I can still lose to other great players, and Brood is a very great player and he beat me. Props to him. I want to go to Japan and play them all for the trill of the competition and to see if I can beat them all. Otherwise there is little point to being good (besides money). I'm glad this game is finally getting interesting.
I like the way you think about things :)

I've always been curious about this: if Meta Knight were ever to get banned in the future, would you continue to play? And if so, who would you main?

Top Bottom