• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
I like Andre. His stuff is fun to listen to, he is really talented, but I agree, he can't be judged until he puts out an actual album, by himself.

"Macaroni *****s, Imposta's in pastas"

lol.

Jane

Smash Hero
i dont see why he cant be judged without a solo album. outkast is only a duo, hes done enough tracks to prove himself, regardless of big boi being on them.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
i'm not saying he hasn't proven himself as a great rapper. i just think a solo effort would solidify it. i see people put him in their top 10 to ever do it all the time. i mean i can understand why but i still don't think he is just yet.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I retract my earlier statements, SFG is actually quite good.

Any of you lot check Vado?

PK Mao

Smash Rookie
andre has been one of my favorites for a while, I too really want a solo album, but IMO he's already solidified his legacy, his influence is incredible.

on another note last night i went to the 3rd annual Roots Picnic, which included Method Man, Ghostface and Raekwon doing a set of their classics backed by the Roots, which was awesome, amongst other things. but one thing I wanted to bring up was how wack Jay Electronica was live, anyone else seen him/heard of this? definitely one of the weakest shows I've seen from someone who's so heralded, not saying that all rappers put on a fantastic show, but his was pathetic, he'd get through one half-*** verse before telling his DJ to drop the beat so he can drop it acapella and pretend like he's saying some real deep **** that bears listening closely to, but really it was just to drop the tempo so he could rap slower and catch his breath. and he did this every song. then 2 hours later I see method man, who must be pushing 40, stage diving and jumping around more than any rapper I've seen, so there's no excuse from someone who's the new hip "gonna save hip-hop" star on the rise to be so awful at performing. </rant>

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
uhh, hey guys...

...check it out...

:DDD
O.O lucky.

andre has been one of my favorites for a while, I too really want a solo album, but IMO he's already solidified his legacy, his influence is incredible.

on another note last night i went to the 3rd annual Roots Picnic, which included Method Man, Ghostface and Raekwon doing a set of their classics backed by the Roots, which was awesome, amongst other things. but one thing I wanted to bring up was how wack Jay Electronica was live, anyone else seen him/heard of this? definitely one of the weakest shows I've seen from someone who's so heralded, not saying that all rappers put on a fantastic show, but his was pathetic, he'd get through one half-*** verse before telling his DJ to drop the beat so he can drop it acapella and pretend like he's saying some real deep **** that bears listening closely to, but really it was just to drop the tempo so he could rap slower and catch his breath. and he did this every song. then 2 hours later I see method man, who must be pushing 40, stage diving and jumping around more than any rapper I've seen, so there's no excuse from someone who's the new hip "gonna save hip-hop" star on the rise to be so awful at performing. </rant>
lol. Kinda jealous. <3 Wu. And the Roots.

lol gotta love Method Man.

PK Mao

Smash Rookie
definitely one of my favorite live bands ever. can't consciously think of any that top them but would rather just say "one of the best" then definitely "the best" for all I may be forgetting. questlove did a really, really dope set with dj jazzy jeff right beforehand where jeff played some well known samples and then quest did the drumming. simple concept but amazingly well executed, for example jazzy jeff at one point played the Tom Scott sample used in T.R.O.Y. for like 20 seconds until it got to the famous horn loop, then looped that and quest came in hard and the whole crowd was bumpin. thrown in an absurd amount of classics and it was one of the best things i've ever seen. then quest hopped stages and the roots came on in 5 minutes and it got even better. :D

but yea i think i wouldnt be so pissed about jay elec if he weren't so incredibly hyped, he's like the lebron of hip-hop, they both don't realize you have to actually put the work in, you don't become the king of rap/basketball overnight because the media says so.

Jane

Smash Hero
fuuuuck i wanna see the roots live!!!

so, nas (and dj green latern), as expected was raw as hell. put on an AMAZING SHOW. cool thing was there were only two opening acts then went straight to nas. haha there was a bunch of people after the show gathering around his tour bus and he was signing ****. but i didnt get anything signed ):

i saw some hoez go in his tourbus lololo

soap

Smash Hero
it's not entirely lebron's fault.

whenever he has an off game the entire team does nothing

it's not like jordan, he had great teams behind him as well

pippen, rodman, kerr. ***** toni kukoc woulda been an all star on any other team

S l o X

Smash Champion
**** haven't posted in this thread in a minute.

jealous of pk mao's night

sounds like something i could only dream of -_-

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
So far pretty impressed. First song was horrible but after that it's picked up a lot. I wouldn't put it on MMLP level yet, but it's Eminem Show worthy at least. I hate all these choruses/hooks a lot, though.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Favorite song is, BY FAR, Here We Go (the bonus song). Hilarious song, lmfao.

& I think it's at the Eminem Show, sorta... A lot of the topics are similar.
The choruses are alright, not THAT bad. The hooks are cool on some.

The Lil Wayne song just makes me -.-'

I also like 25 to Life, and Love the Way you Lie.

His flow is pretty similar across all of the songs, but he kills it on like everything.

Boofy!

Smash Champion
Love the Way you Lie, Cinderella man, Space bound, Talkin to myself, and On fire are my faves after the first listen.. also can I just say the production on this album is straight up ear candy? it was easily worth the wait IMO

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I heard the beats were actually quite bland.

Just listened to Space Bound which is apparently one of the better songs on it and I was like meh. People saying it moved them to tears. lulz. Don't like the hook.

Probably won't even listen until like another 13 months lol.

Suspect

Smash Hero
Anyone who downloads it, please support him and buy the album when it comes out, don't be a bum...

im gonna buy more than one copy probably.

1 for the car

1 for my room

1 for the living room

1 for anything else

Suspect

Smash Hero
Meh, I wish it was still like old times where you had to buy the album the listen to it first or something. Internet steady corrupting society.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
back then, albums were of more quality. now, too many people have one good song and a bull**** album....
joey

i just don't trust most artists nowadays.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
No, less Dre is better.

I'm pretty sure this isn't fully mixed and mastered. It sounds really weird and awkward at points.

Wayne's verse on that What is Love song is horrible. Horrrrrrible.

Overall, this is the best thing since Eminem Show but that is not saying a whole lot. I don't think Em will ever be back at his SS/MMLP status again just because he doesn't have so much material to work with like he did for MMLP. He was the center of everyone's attention back then and was causing so much controversy, it was fuel for his lyrics. Now, every song is about how he was addicted to pills, his daughter, his wife, or maybe Proof. It's good, it's just not as exciting, imo. And his flow doesn't change up like it used to.

Top Bottom