• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

MBlaze

Smash Champion
Section.80 and Charity Starts At Home = Both albums that are masterpieces that captivate me

Take Care = Hip-Hop/Pop-ish oriented good work

Frank Ocean = Best R&B artist out to me right now

Pretty much what I'm bumpin right now

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
The Weeknd makes music that I can sleep to... and that's a compliment. His music is mad relaxing and chilled. I deleted Frank off my iPhone, got tired of it. Weeknd definitely in rotation. Drake and him work well together.

soap, Aloe's here next month too, deciding if it's worth it, given I'm not that familiar with everything he's put out aside from that Emanon tape.

Malice Chains

Smash Journeyman
Just cause he showed props to him doesnt mean he "gushed" (or whatever that even means) about him lol

Is it not ok for rappers to do that for new people?

Malice Chains

Smash Journeyman
Must be just me, but i've noticed that people who like Lil B praise him to be much more than what he is. Anything good mentioned about him gets blown out of proportion....his fans are taking crumbs and trying to feed a family.

A friend of mine does this, I showed him a link to a diss jr writer did against lil b cause I randomly came across it. This dude got so damn defensive WITH ME.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
My philosophy is that once an artist releases a piece of art into the world, it is no longer theirs alone.

So, it really truly does not matter if Lupe or myself is reading "too much" into Lil B's lyrics. That means absolutely nothing. The lyrics and music are there for us to interpret, and whatever interpretation we get from it is true. The artist himself is irrelevant. The fact is that you can take some Lil B songs and analyze them and it is more than "omg swag based god on this song omg cooking". You can make a real analysis, and as long as the lyrics themselves support that, there's nothing "wrong".

Lupe himself says the same thing

"Now whether Lil B did that on purpose or not is really not an issue because the reality of someone (that would be me by the way) interpreting and analyzing his album title that deeply gives merit to his action regardless of his initial intent. I mean it is HIS album title."

so, stop worrying what Lil B (or any rapper) intended and start focusing on what is actually THERE. Have you listened to I'm Gay or are you just assuming it's full of songs like Wonton Soup?

Malice Chains

Smash Journeyman
My friend showed me a few tracks of his "real stuff" idk what it was from. I didnt like it. Lil B irrelevant to me, he's a troll. Wale tier

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I said that because it's stupid to discourage discussion.

"(My favorite rapper) released a mixtape. DON'T SAY ANYTHING NEGATIVE ABOUT IT PLEASE" is stupid and not what the thread is for. The thread is for discussing hip hop, not blind praise. Nothing against Lupe or you. Well, nothing against Lupe at least.

Then I tried to start an actual discussion about the topic and you went into useless-annoying-Suspectmode. Read a ****ing book.

Malice Chains

Smash Journeyman
When I said dont say anything negative about it, I meant the typical "OH HIS LAST ONE SUCKED/LASERS SUCKS" the typical ish. Idc if someone said "meh I dont really care for lupe" or "Im not feeling that song at all" Tired of people judging him off a short mixtape and a bad album that wasnt really his fault.

and LOL at you telling me to read a book, when reading is something I do a lot. I dont need someone who puts so much faith in lil b as a rapper to tell me to read a book. Guess I was right about lil b fanboys getting defensive.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
could have fooled me.

if anyone else would like to discuss artistic intent vs. audience interpretation with me, I'd love to. I think it's an interesting thing to think about as most people I know really do regard the artist's intent as being higher or more "official" then their own reaction to the music/art.

Malice Chains

Smash Journeyman
Ha, at this point (if you havent noticed) I could give 2 ****s if you like me or not. Keep with the insults, you're just gonna make yourself look dumb honestly. SWAG

T3h Albino

Smash Master
I noticed you're like a Drake fan boy.. lololol

But yeah I agree with that.
I don't know if I'd say fanboy...

I believe that Drake is a very talented artist, and get's a lot of unnecessary heat from people trying to hop on a "hate" bandwagon.
He's dropped a classic mixtape imo (So Far Gone), and his Sophmore album I feel is one of the best pieces of work to come out this year.
Yet I still hear people bashing this man and calling him soft for the type of music he makes. I don't think Drake's a *****, I think he raps about the softer side of **** men have to deal with that nobody really likes to talk about (i.e- Getting ****ed over by females and actually feeling like **** about it, his mother, and praising females for how beautiful they are). I'll admit, he may go a little overboard sometimes, but somebodies gotta rap about that **** man.
I appreciate that *****'s honesty, even if he's dumbed down his lyrics like 100fold since his mixtape days I still respect that honesty and passion he comes with on his cuts.

That's why I get mad when I see people like "Yo **** Drake's ol crying ***, over sensitive *** *****", because in music I don't feel passion =/= sensitivity....

Jane

Smash Hero
speaking of drake... respect points have dropped as far as his integrity and character. i never really liked dude, but respect him immensely as an artist for integrating R&B into his music; he does the hip-hop/R&B hybrid so well, better than anyone else, in fact.

but, like i said, respect points have fallen after reading up on the whole big sean/drake/luda beef. this is what drake had to say about the whole hashtag punchline style:

AllHipHop.com: How much do Young Money artists bounce off each other? I noticed you have similar inflections and cadences or rhyme patterns. I noticed this one thing that Nicki said, “It’s going down. Basement.”

Drake: Well, that flow has been killed by so many rappers. And, I never want to use that flow again in life. [Laughs] I wanted to take if off my album, because I was like, “I shut ‘em down. Onyx.” I hate the fact that that rhyme is still in there. To be honest, that flow, you can trace it back to like …I trace it back to Big Sean. That’s the first guy I heard utilize that flow throughout the duration of a verse. I’ll give him that credit. I think Kanye got it from him. Me and Wayne found a dope way to do it. I don’t want to sound cocky, but the best way its been used was on “Forever.” Those lines just all individually make so much sense. They’re all punchlines. Then a bunch of rappers started doing it and using the most terrible references in the world. I don’t want to offend somebody…I hate that rappers picked that flow up. I wish they had left that for people that know how to use it. [They go like] “It’s a parade! MACY’S!” At that point, you never want to use it.

his cocky demeanor is in full force in that response. and its funny because he thinks his verse on forever was in some form good. "if i was at the club you know i balled, chemo" LOL...

anyways, watch this video of ludacris reminding us of past rappers (including himself in 2008, which was a year before big sean even made it popular) using the hashtag punchline:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jejaIqTfuQ

MBlaze

Smash Champion
Luigitoilet - I still just don't understand why you defend Lil B so hard like that.... acting like the ***** is skilled like Talib Kweli or something.

Drake, yeah I agree with Alby he's a good artist and all but I look at it this way, yeah he can be soft. But if he were to rap about the other generic **** of illegality then he'd be fake right? He sticks to what he knows and I respect him for that, and that happens to be talking about women.... all day.... 100% of the time.... Subject matter does tire though.

And I'm going to listen to The Weekend's digital albums that dropped this year, apparently he's fresh as **** brand new to the game discography wise soooo I'm gonna go check those for tonight.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Iv'e been watching some old Drake interviews and I notice that he talks very roughly about his beliefs and is adamant in every way. Its like he has a split personality or something.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Luigitoilet - I still just don't understand why you defend Lil B so hard like that.... acting like the ***** is skilled like Talib Kweli or something.
Skill is irrelevant if the music touches me. I never said Lil B was a super talented rapper, or even talented at all. It's passionate DIY music, and it's relevant to me. I'm so defensive about him because his music has helped me emotionally. I also wasn't defending Lil B as much as making a general point about art. It's not like I made up that Lupe highly praised the guy.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
How do you guys feel about Earl Sweatshirt and I guess the rest of OFWGKTA?
As a OF stan.

Earl is great. Tyler is aight. Mellowhype is the ****. Domo is the ****. And Mike G needs to release his damn album. Frank Ocean is that *****.

I haven't heard much of The Internet yet but I'm pretty sure their weird *** jazz rnb will be aight.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Nah, Earl ain't free. Idk he'll either come back when he turns 18 (which is pri soon I think) or when he turns 21 (which is when you're legally an adult in samoa).

He doesn't have a lot of music out AT ALL..

Nope Tyler was trollin. That's awesome.

rhan

Smash Hero
I don't know if I'd say fanboy...

I believe that Drake is a very talented artist, and get's a lot of unnecessary heat from people trying to hop on a "hate" bandwagon.
He's dropped a classic mixtape imo (So Far Gone), and his Sophmore album I feel is one of the best pieces of work to come out this year.
Yet I still hear people bashing this man and calling him soft for the type of music he makes. I don't think Drake's a *****, I think he raps about the softer side of **** men have to deal with that nobody really likes to talk about (i.e- Getting ****ed over by females and actually feeling like **** about it, his mother, and praising females for how beautiful they are). I'll admit, he may go a little overboard sometimes, but somebodies gotta rap about that **** man.
I appreciate that *****'s honesty, even if he's dumbed down his lyrics like 100fold since his mixtape days I still respect that honesty and passion he comes with on his cuts.

That's why I get mad when I see people like "Yo **** Drake's ol crying ***, over sensitive *** *****", because in music I don't feel passion =/= sensitivity....
I didn't say he didn't make good music.

But he is soft. Niigga was on Degrassi. You can't get no softer than that..

Malice Chains

Smash Journeyman
I didn't say he didn't make good music.

But he is soft. Niigga was on Degrassi. You can't get no softer than that..
The game was on change of heart, even if that show wasnt "real" he got paid from it, just like drake got paid from Degrassi. So I wouldnt use that as a factor for him being soft....even tho I do agree he is soft lol

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
But his girl had the change of heart...he got played on national television...

I'm surprised he didnt go the Drake route after that.

soap

Smash Hero
Just read up on the past few pages. I guess I'll start with Drake's album.

Liked a few cuts, but was overall not feelin the majority of it. Not even hating the content (which drake is playing the **** out on himself), it's just that musically alot of the **** wasn't vibin with me.

Favorite track was The Ride. Kinda just fell in love with the sample off the bat. Didn't even bother me that drake was venting out his rich boy frustrations about being rich and recieving special treatment. "I spent 6 million on myself and I feel amazing." Was listening to that **** on my way back from work at 4 in the morning and couldn't help but feel a lil resentful towards his whiny rich ***. I kinda like getting an honest viewpoint of his life tho.

But um, practice was wack to me, nicki track was wack. His rapping voice just be annoying me on alot of joints. I don't think he'll ever get rid of that residual wayne effect on his rapping. I used to love his room for improvement flow. It was so smooth, almost r&b esque. Now he uses that slightly angry/annoyed nasally wayne flow when he starts rapping/complaining about something that just does not suit him imo. His actual singing got alot better, but that too is kinda whiny now at times, and there was too much of it on this joint.

Next up is lil b. My favorite part of him is prolly his sample and beat choices. They are generally very unique and interesting sounding to me. His delivery is kinda different too. He's kinda on some broken rhythm ****. I don't know if he is doing it on purpose, or he just can't stay on beat at times, but it is kind of interesting and suits alot of the content of the songs. Kinda gives it a stream of consciousness effect. I appreciate his positivity, but I also gotta feel the actual tracks. I was kinda dissapointed with Silent President for example, but BasedGodVelli was pretty dope. He brings his own thing to hip hop imo.

Putting him on Wale tier is kind of insulting. Put him either below it, cuz Wale has a more consistent flow, or put him above, cuz Wale is generic as hell. Wale to me is just really generic music that I don't feel at all.

I would definitely go check out Aloe. He is on tour in europe with his band, and Exile. They are working on a new Emanon tape atm, so the show would prolly be a fusion of his solo r&b/soul type stuff, and some songs with exile on the boards. Not really sure what to expect tho honestly. Could be a weird show.

he posted this on his youtube a couple weeks ago
http://www.youtube.com/user/aloeblacc#p/u/3/GKAc6xEu12w

Exile's solo debut is pretty nice too.

rhan

Smash Hero
Practice isn't good compared to Juvie.

It's not all that bad by itself. I'd get twerk to it. But I wouldn't listen to it unless I was gettin my diq rubbed.

Top Bottom