• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

soap

Smash Hero
Lil B seems to be very "meta", meaning that he is exceedingly self aware, and this shows in all of his songs/works. Sometimes it works for me, a lot of the time it doesn't. I would consider Lil B one of the first truly dadaesque hip hop artists ever. It's strange, Lil B is by far my most respected modern hip hop artist (very very very barely beating out Kanye) because of this aspect of his work.

I'm Gay is actually really really good. Lil B is awesome. The only thing, I wish he could blend his artistic values with an ear for listenable music. Instead, Lil B is all about the message and artistry while ignoring the reason most of us listen to music in the first place, the immediate emotional response we get from it.
By referencing the Dada movement what exactly are you trying to say his music does? Reject the conventions of hip hop?

Cuz he's certainly not the first to protest or give messages thru their music

Nor is he the first to rap off beat...

I respect the heart he puts into his music, but he is not doing anything that new imo. The stupid Ellen Degeneres stuff was just trolling for attention while at the same time critiquing hip hop and showing that people will listen to stupid ****

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
By referencing the Dada movement what exactly are you trying to say his music does? Reject the conventions of hip hop?

Cuz he's certainly not the first to protest or give messages thru their music

Nor is he the first to rap off beat...

I respect the heart he puts into his music, but he is not doing anything that new imo. The stupid Ellen Degeneres stuff was just trolling for attention while at the same time critiquing hip hop and showing that people will listen to stupid ****
I meant dadaeseque in the general sense of anti-artistry. His music seems to intentionally take the "rawness" or ugliness of hip hop and exaggerate it as much as humanly possible, while cutting out all of the other stuff.

I didn't mean dada=meaningful, and I don't really mean dadaesque in the anti-war sense either. Just in the style of taking individual elements of the art and separating and exaggerating them to the point that it calls attention to itself.

I'M MILEY CYRUS (SWAG)

but, I'm only referring to some of his music. a lot of it is very typical, too.

and, I could be wrong, I'd like to hear some more hip hop like it!

Jane

Smash Hero
sorry jane, can't understand poke references past gen 4.
well for the second and third pokemon you don't need to know the names. it just uses them to reference "p*ssy" and "sarcophagus".

also, goddamn, i had the most hilarious dreams involving one of our hip-hop thread members yet. as most of you know rhan is in boot camp right now. well, in my dream, he had "checked in" on facebook. except he wasn't checking in his location, he was checking in his action-- he was having sex and announcing it on facebook, and this was all in boot camp, lmfao. and on his check in he also posted pictures of the girl riding him. i remember clicking on them and highly approving of her. ahh man, i never know where my dreams will take me, lol.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Lol Jane you're ****ing crazy.

I miss Pokemon.

CunninLynguists are so incredible. They're easily becoming my favourite group.

Roots fans, where do I start with their music? To anyone who listens to both the Roots and CunninLynguists, who do you think is better?

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
LightningPie said:
I was in science class in highschool when I started humming this to to my self.

and I wondered where have herd this, and I rembered from all those years of playing crystal those were some realy good memorie.when I got home I dug up my old gmeboy color and my pokemon crystal wich I havent played in years, and my team was still there.I was so glad that nothing happened to them like my data being deleted.

Its funny how old music can bring out such nostligic emotion. pokemon fore ever
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

soap

Smash Hero
Lol Jane you're ****ing crazy.

I miss Pokemon.

CunninLynguists are so incredible. They're easily becoming my favourite group.

Roots fans, where do I start with their music? To anyone who listens to both the Roots and CunninLynguists, who do you think is better?
I'm a big Roots fan, but I will check out some of these guys. Black Thought is a legend in his own right tho, it will be hard for them to pass the roots in my mind.

An open mind will be attempted

Boofy!

Smash Champion
does anyone here give a **** about smash enough to go to Apex?

I live like 20 minutes from the venue so I'm going, let me know if any of you are.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Section 80 is Kendrick Lamar's album. I checked dude's tape last year(?), the one with P&P but never reallllyyy gave it spin. Section 80 is getting a lot of love though. Need to check it.

Soap I think you'll really like CunninLynguists.

I'm flying out for that tourney.

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
I think I might go to Apex. If I do I think it will probably be my last tournament I go to. Maybe hang up Wii Remote and focus more on the music, since I'll be moving to Texas. Who knows... I got smash in my blood. Also, I'm finding more love for MvC3. Plus excited for SxT.

Also, since everyone is making one, I'll make one. Marvin's room remix coming soon... Swag!

Jane

Smash Hero
oh, it's real friend.

yung LA ft. young dro and TI - ain't i (remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwDNPwpEWlc

love this beat.

oh and everyone's heard mobb deep's shook ones part II. its pretty much representative of hip-hop. but have you heard the first one?

who here played super mario 64? do you remember the ghost level where you go into that little house? the little eerie tune in this beat reminds me of that.

mobb deep - shook ones pt. I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vN-4Xwy-Cw

Suspect

Smash Hero
I think I might go to Apex. If I do I think it will probably be my last tournament I go to. Maybe hang up Wii Remote and focus more on the music, since I'll be moving to Texas. Who knows... I got smash in my blood. Also, I'm finding more love for MvC3. Plus excited for SxT.

Also, since everyone is making one, I'll make one. Marvin's room remix coming soon... Swag!
you cant quit smash until I beat you and send you back to yo aunty and uncle in bel-air

Top Bottom