• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

World of Warcraft Discussion: Mists of Pandaria

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Leveling was a much different ordeal in Vanilla. Terrible quest structure, lot more grinding, less fun.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Vanilla WoW was fun unless you wanted to do anything.

Classic had a total of 4 endgame instances. Strat, Scholo, Lbrs/Ubrs.

Spamming "LFG Ubrs" for an hour+ took forever to find a group, then took forever to get someone else to come to the damn stone to summon, then find out that no one has the damn key for the door.

Yeah, Vanilla wow was a blast.
Yeah UBRS was practically nonexistant.

I remember doing MC and usually finding out some scrub wasn't attuned, hehe.

I also remember soloing LBRS with a level 70 character multiple times for.... some reason... o_O

So yeah. It sucked to have to actually travel everywhere to do an instance or whatever, and the time constraints are ridiculous, but it did add a sense of meaning or realism or whatever you wanted to call it. In retrospect, it's fun to look back on it. I can still remember going to do Scarlet Monastery and swimming through that lake south of the Undercity. Good times.

Leveling was a much different ordeal in Vanilla. Terrible quest structure, lot more grinding, less fun.
Yeah. I remember doing the alliance quest that gets you the good reward for killing all the bosses in Scarlet Monastery. You randomly had to go all the way to the north base in Desolace, get a quest, go all the way to the south of Desolace, kill 30 skeletons (which were pretty high level compared to early SM stuff) and then go back and turn it in. Then you go to Southshore (which is all destroyed now :c) and get the SM quest.

Luckily, I loved Desolace. I remember seeing Rexxar for the first time on my alliance character, I was like O_O

Speaking of which, what's that guy up to nowadays?

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Getting to Desolace on an Alliance character was no joke, either. If you were doing the basic Human gamut, you ran from IF to Southshore, then from there you flew to Menethil, took the boat to Darnassus, rode to Desolace, went back to Southshore, then ran up to SM. Alotgether to do your first run of SM with the quest you spent maybe two to three hours.

Meanwhile, us Horde went to Varimathras, got a quest, and spent a minute running from UC (Zeppelins ftw) to the instance.

Faction balance~

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Talking about WoW makes me want to play it ;_; it's the same reason I played WotLK. I hadn't played since TBC, it was almost 2.5 years, when I got the free 10 days in my email and finally lost to the temptation, then played Wrath for like 9-10 months straight.
Then apparently my account got hacked after it had expired, no idea how the hell that happened.

Haven't played since :3

Pretty sure I also have 7 free days for Cata, but I really don't want to spend like eighty hours installing everything just to play for a little while haha.

I actually loved Desolace because, even though it took me eons to get there, the dark and desolate landscape made me feel good. For some reason.

As a character in Vanilla, my paladin generally hung out in either WPL/EPL, The Gates of Ahn'Qiraj, or somewhere in Blackrock Mountain. Occasionally I did hang out in Ironforge and get my character drunk with friends. We'd all go jump in the lava in the Great Forge afterwards.

Generally for me, places that were far off and time-consuming to get to and fro were my favourite places in general. Desolace, Silithus, Moonglade, and a few others.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Of all the Azerothian zones pre-Cata, I enjoyed Duskwood the most. I liked its inherent spookiness and perpetual gloom. Reminded me of the old horror comics from DC and Marvel for some odd reason, especially with that questline for the crazy old man in the shack.

I really liked Outlands. I mean, yeah, Hellfire Peninsula was kinda ugly and redundant but it was fitting for that part of the world. Y'know? You had Fel Orcs running around making pathways out of bones (the Path of Glory) and otherwise spreading their demonic shenanigans everywhere. But beyond that, there was lots of variety. You had the floating islets of Nagrand (my favorite zone in WoW period, outside of Uldum and Deepholme), the neon mushroom forests of Zangarmarsh, the serrated spires of Blade's Edge Mountains...just to name a few.

I dunno. I guess I'm weird.

Smooth Criminal

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
http://www.wowhead.com/npc=21984

you know you want to play again asddidshidoihdhdioihdoih

I hated Desolace. So much. I always hung out in ZG, behind the gates or in Darnassus.
Oh right, I guess he hung out in Outlands. I forgot about that.

Man, he's so unimportant now :(

I hung out around BRM and the Gates of AQ.

Ganking people.
Ahhh, BRM pvp was so fun. Skeletons EVERYWHERE.

Stop making me MISS THIS GAME >=(

I'm looking forward to Diablo 3, anyway.
And Skyrim.
And Skyward Sword.

ahhhh end of 2011 y u no arrive faster???

Lately the only game I've been playing much is Monster Hunter, which is fun to play with friends. It has a lot of freaking annoying as hell aspects though.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Negrand is also my favorite zone in warcraft.

When I have nothing to do, I land on one of the floating islands. Too bad WoW doesn't have homes, I'd make on on a floating island in negrand with a waterfall.

I hated Hellfire Pennisula though, it IS annoying and that's why most of my characters die as soon as they get that far in the game.

If they can get past Hellfire, they get through the rest of the game without a problem

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Ahhh, BRM pvp was so fun. Skeletons EVERYWHERE.

Stop making me MISS THIS GAME >=(
I make -me- miss the game. Not sure I can make you stop missing it.

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
Outlands was pretty but it was so huge and the quests were so awful (the ****ing trampoline quest WTF!) I hated every second of it.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
What trampoline quest?

...come to think of it, when trying to think about specific outlands quests, I can't think of anything that really stood out as fun or unique or whatever. The zones were cool, though. Don't you remember that feeling when you first step through the dark portal? Oh man. You see these gigantic monsters fighting and you're like oh my gah

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
I immediately started hitting one of the elites wondering if it would kill me

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
No, it was too preoccupied trying to kill the other elites. I eventually gave up and started questing. Hellfire is my least favorite outlands area. :c

fkacyan

Smash Hero
No, it was too preoccupied trying to kill the other elites. I eventually gave up and started questing. Hellfire is my least favorite outlands area. :c
Ditto. I have two characters stuck in Outlands right now at level 60 that will stay there until a revamp.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Well... I'd say that Outlands is amazing to level in at least once anyway. Surely the first time you went there, it was pretty amazing, wasn't it? It's a freaking world floating in an abyss...

All the zones are cool. Not the biggest fan of Zangarmarsh, personally. I also don't remember there being much to do in Blade's Edge.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well... I'd say that Outlands is amazing to level in at least once anyway. Surely the first time you went there, it was pretty amazing, wasn't it? It's a freaking world floating in an abyss...

All the zones are cool. Not the biggest fan of Zangarmarsh, personally. I also don't remember there being much to do in Blade's Edge.
I loved zangarmarsh with the swamp atmosphere and the giant mushrooms

It was like some kind of weird fungal invasion thing going on in there

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Try dungeons/pvp til you can get to the level to hit the next areas.
30+ minute wait in between unless you are tank or healer.

Even than, my Healer has a hard time finding a dungeon.

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer

I was like 'wow this is kind of neat' to 'i ****ing hate hellfire' in about an hour. Zangarmarsh was okay, Terokkar was meh, Nagrand was too big, Blade's edge was boring, Netherstorm was meh, and Shadowmoon was okay because of the drakes. Almost all of the quests involved running all over hell and not doing much and the areas were too big for "run across the zone and kill 15 of these and then run back and kill 15 of these and run over there and kill 15 more."
That kind of space would have been okay if we got a faster mount or a flying mount to go with it. It just took too damn long to do everything because of all the running around.

There really wasn't a lot there that was entertaining imo. Most of it was drowned out by 'why the **** do I have to run so far to do this ****,' which was a lot of my problem in early vanilla. At least in vanilla though, once you got past a certain level, the quests started grouping in areas.

I mean for ****s sake the Shattered Sun dailies were more entertaining than most of the outlands quests.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Try dungeons/pvp til you can get to the level to hit the next areas.
I already leveled a warrior out of there via dungeons. Can't do it again.

EDIT: Votekicked by a group in Tol'vir on my rogue for asking a shaman to top me off pre-boss. When he refused to heal me for the rest of the dungeon and I called him out, I got votekicked.

This ****ing community. Cross-server has made people complete douchebags. Acting like that in TBC or early WotLK would lose you the ability to run heroics on that character ever again.

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
This ****ing community. Cross-server has made people complete douchebags. Acting like that in TBC or early WotLK would lose you the ability to run heroics on that character ever again.
Yup. I like faster instances but not the d-bags and crybabies that go with them.

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
Am I the only person that uses the default UI?
I really don't care enough to have something fancy lol

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Am I the only person that uses the default UI?
I really don't care enough to have something fancy lol
The default UI takes up too much space and has things in places that make the resources annoying to glance at.

It's like if you were driving, the speedometer was on the roof of the car and the levers for the turn signals were in front of the passenger.

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
It's like if you were driving, the speedometer was on the roof of the car and the levers for the turn signals were in front of the passenger.
No it isn't.
Then again I play on a 32" TV so maybe I have more space. I dunno.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I use vanilla options, but I customize it to have all the ability bars on screen at the same time

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I mostly used the default UI. I used some standard addons occasionally when they were required, but meh.
I wish the game could let you customize that stuff itself, without downloading stuff from people you're expected to trust >=(

Blizz was pretty good about copying those addons and implementing them (though usually crappier) themselves.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
You have no frame of reference on which to base your statement.
I'm pretty sure nobody else in this thread is a serious raider, so as far as maximizing DPS in all situations go, nobody really has a frame of reference for that except me.

Not all of us are satisified with mashing what isnt on cooldown.

Top Bottom