• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

World of Warcraft Discussion: Mists of Pandaria

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Yeah, I remember doing Strat in the beta and being saddened, knowing that I will never get my Baron Rivendare mount despite killing him like 80+ times.

Paladins are still the best tanks, like in Wrath? That makes me sad, considering the most fun I had tanking was in Classic/TBC, when I had to actually work to even convince people that Paladins could tank. That was half the fun! Receiving praise when people discover that you own as a tank is the other half.
http://www.wowhead.com/spell=31850/ardent-defender

+

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=70940/divine-guardian

+

Mastery as a third avoidance stat

= lolbroken

Paladins can stack avoidance and become unhittable (i.e. every single attack that goes at them is either mitigated by block or dodged / parried / misses). Combined with a "lol I didnt die" mechanic and a god tier raid cooldown...

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
(i.e. every single attack that goes at them is either mitigated by block or dodged / parried / misses)
Isn't this how tanking works? Then again, I remember blizz saying something about nerfing that in Cata so that you can't block/dodge/parry EVERY attack.

I mean, I remember back in TBC, the hardest thing for Pallies compared to Warriors was getting the magical avoidance number (I think it was like 102.4% or something)
And even then, Holy Shield lasted 10 seconds, with a 10 second cooldown, so it's possible for server lag to mess it up. And I remember the pally Librams or whatever the hell they were called, and you had to get the HS one for more block...

And yeah! So it's different now, but Pallies still are able to abuse that? lol

fkacyan

Smash Hero
No, we can cloak off DK DoTs.
Yes, but if you don't immediately get out of melee range / Vanish we can just use PS to reapply the DoT.

EDIT: Yes, the 102.4% number is once again reachable. Paladins can reach it fairly reliably in high end gear, warriors can get close, and DKs and Druids suck **** because they get hit for super spiky damage as a result of having no real form of consistent block.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
EDIT: Yes, the 102.4% number is once again reachable. Paladins can reach it fairly reliably in high end gear, warriors can get close, and DKs and Druids suck **** because they get hit for super spiky damage as a result of having no real form of consistent block.
loool

yeah this game isn't very balanced. too bad, since it's pretty fun (for a while, until you get bored of endgame content and tired of paying freaking $15 a month)

Veetaak

Smash Lord
loool

yeah this game isn't very balanced. too bad, since it's pretty fun (for a while, until you get bored of endgame content and tired of paying freaking $15 a month)
This sooooo much

It would be a great game if blizzard started caring again

I understand you when you say that you get bored of the endgame. I haven't PvE'd at all in cata. PvP was the only thing keeping me subbed to the game for a while but i figured it wasn't worth so much money just for that.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Yeah, I remember doing Strat in the beta and being saddened, knowing that I will never get my Baron Rivendare mount despite killing him like 80+ times.
The mount still drops. Infact since it's lower level it's easier/farmable sooner.

IMO, Combat Readiness is not as good of an ability in comparison to CoS.
I'd rather have an instant removal of all magic/disease/poison DoTs, resist such schools for 5 seconds, and have 40% physical damage reduction (if glyphed) than wait for something to stack to 5 for 50% reduced damage from all incoming sources.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
And in a dueling situation, 20s of me being unable to fight you is almost a guaranteed win. Being able to force rogues to CoS as a melee fighter is pretty big.

Edit: Not saying that combat readiness is better, though. They are both better in different situations than the other. CoS is definitely the more important move to the Rogue's kit, as they don't have really any other way of dealing with casters or getting resets against DoT classes. But you can't deny that in a 1v1 situation, getting them to lose one of the best defensive CDs in the entire game vs melees is a pretty big advantage.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm going to switch to SWTOR for a while when it comes out, but to be honest I don't expect much from the game.

It may be in the KoTOR spirit, and a Bioware game, but they took the safe route with everything and the more news I read about it, the lamer it gets

Edit: It's dev went from Wow Killer to WoW clone

That's what's happened to pretty much every "WoW-killing" MMO out there. They're either WoW-clones or just don't match up to WoW properly.

I love how some of my friends always boast about the next new MMO coming will be a WoW-killer. They stop WoW, go to the new game, quit within a month or so, and then they're back on WoW.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Well, I think Bioware's SWTOR actually has the chops to match up with WoW in a lot of respects. As far as surpassing it, well, who the hell knows? All I know is that Blizzard better be pulling something out of their hat pertaining to WoW when Blizzcon rolls around. Despite the tremendous playerbase that they have, there are a lot of people complaining about this expansion; and those that are complaining about the game and are trying SWTOR might end up abandoning WoW altogether depending on whether it's different enough and polished enough.

Personally I'm looking forward to the change in narrative. I enjoy Blizzard's tongue-in-cheek humor and all (Welcome to the Machine is the best questline ever), but it gets kind of old after a while. Plus, the overreaching stories for WoW aren't that great either (plotholes out the wazoo). I like how SWTOR is taking a different route with the voice acting, the branching dialogue choices, and the capacity to actually change the face of certain quests just by the choices you make. No two playthroughs are going to be the same which, in my opinion, is pretty damn cool.

I just hope to God George Lucas himself doesn't come along and **** on his own franchise with his own terrible brand of storytelling and dialogue. ._. Other writers are taking good care of your franchise, Georgie-boy. They love your universe. They write good stories in it. Really. Just...stay away, okay?

Smooth Criminal

Despite the tremendous playerbase that they have, there are a lot of people complaining about this expansion; and those that are complaining about the game and are trying SWTOR might end up abandoning WoW altogether depending on whether it's different enough and polished enough.
Ah, I see a typical situation right here.

Firstly, people have always complained about the expansions. I've played WoW since December of 2004, and I saw people complaining all the way through.

Vanilla is here, "Waaah, this class is OP, my class sucks, quests are too long, l2manage your servers Blizz!"
BC comes out, "Waaah, Vanilla was the best!"
Wrath comes out, "Waaah, Vanilla and BC were the best!"
Cata comes out, "Waaah, Vanilla, BC, and Wrath were the best!"

And then comes the whole "Waaah, I'm leaving WoW forever, this game isn't what it used to be!". After that statement is made, we have a lot of people leave WoW, with usually more than half of them coming back within the next 6 months.

I don't know. I don't see SWTOR as a WoW-killer in any regards. It could match up to WoW, but the devs would have to do quite a lot for it to do so.

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
;_;

I wish I had real life friends that played WoW.

I only have one.

Oh and Azua, if we reroll, then which server should we reroll on that you get on to?
It has to be medium population or lower because my friend's internet is bad.
I'd have to check and see which servers he'd be able to get on. I know BH is a high pop but that's what my mains are on and I refuse to move them lol

I've farmed strat probably over 3000 times and never got the ****ing mount.

Ah, I see a typical situation right here.

Firstly, people have always complained about the expansions. I've played WoW since December of 2004, and I saw people complaining all the way through.

Vanilla is here, "Waaah, this class is OP, my class sucks, quests are too long, l2manage your servers Blizz!"
BC comes out, "Waaah, Vanilla was the best!"
Wrath comes out, "Waaah, Vanilla and BC were the best!"
Cata comes out, "Waaah, Vanilla, BC, and Wrath were the best!"

lololo so true. I miss vanilla because I miss how ridiculously hard and frustrating (and buggy!) things were. Though I bet if I went back and played vanilla the nostalgia would be far overshadowed by "WHY THE **** DO I HAVE TO GO ACROSS THE ****ING WORLD FOR THIS QUEST THIS IS BULL**** I WANT A FLYING MOUNT"

I was happy for Wrath because I hated BC. I hated outlands so much that I quit playing for a long time.

I'm actually doing level 80 etc zones in Cata now. I kind of like it. I like that it's different but ...some of the zones I was ready to get out of and move on and they weren't done. Ugh.

As for SWTOR, I'm not going to quit playing Warcraft. I may play them both or I may play only one. I'll decide when I actually play SWTOR for a while.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Typical, true, but people have been louder than usual. I'm not saying any of that because I hate WoW or anything like that, nor am I ignorant of the trends of hating on the newer ish, but it's just really starting to get ugly. That's all.

Like I said, I don't think SWTOR is going to be a WoW-killer. I think it is going to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with it in some ways. Surpassing WoW is a REAAAALLLY tall order.

Smooth Criminal

lololo so true. I miss vanilla because I miss how ridiculously hard and frustrating (and buggy!) things were. Though I bet if I went back and played vanilla the nostalgia would be far overshadowed by "WHY THE **** DO I HAVE TO GO ACROSS THE ****ING WORLD FOR THIS QUEST THIS IS BULL**** I WANT A FLYING MOUNT".
I bet you if Blizz made Vanilla servers, the nostalgic players would all go back onto them and begin to rage at how difficult it is.

Damn, I remember it all, though. Even if I was a Prot pally with 2h sword that stacked intellect and spirit, I still remember having to run so far sometimes just to complete a quest.
I do miss the bugs, though. Cata has some, obv., but Vanilla was so buggy it was hilarious. Going under SW, Old Ironforge, falling through the world, bugging out on top of the base in WSG.
Not to mention walljumping was the best thing evar.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I've farmed strat probably over 3000 times and never got the ****ing mount.
It took me well over 600 attempts to get Anzu.

Once a day, by the way.

Vanilla was a terribly designed game but the community was much better back then. We pay the price for having a good game now with a terrible community, though.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I do miss the bugs, though. Cata has some, obv., but Vanilla was so buggy it was hilarious. Going under SW, Old Ironforge, falling through the world, bugging out on top of the base in WSG.
Not to mention walljumping was the best thing evar.
I've never been to Old Ironforge or gone under SW, but I definitely remember falling through the world one time. It was in... *googles azeroth map*
Yeah, I had the name right. The north of Loch Modan, when you go through the tunnels towards the Wetlands. I fell through and died to death, and it was a sad day.
I vaguely remember walljumping.

I definitely remember going through *googles Kalimdor map*
Darkwhisper Gorge in Winterspring, and jumping through a place you're not supposed to go and going into Hyjal back when it was unfinished. I remember the little roadblock sign things that showed how it was under construction, and the World Tree being all... huge... and stuff. I definitely went there in practically a raid, forever ago.

I wonder if it's possible to find a list of "WoW Killers"
I distinctly remember that Warhammer was going to be the death of WoW.

Turned out, not even close.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
The world feels so small with flying mounts and dungeon/PvP queues, though. I mean, I started playing at the end of WotLK so I don't know what vanilla/BC/most of wrath were like, but I do know that it gets really boring sitting in Stormwind/Orgrimmar and queueing up for everything you wanna do all day long. You never get to really go anywhere or see anything haha.

I dunno about you guys, but Magtheridon Alliance is pretty much dead. Just tons of people who log on to do their dailies and that's it. Maybe it's just me, though. I spend a lot of my WoW time watching videos from BC era, and the game looked sooooo damn fun back then xD

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Yeah, biggest problem with WotLK was everybody just standing around Dalaran all day.

The best part of vanilla for me was exploring, seeing people out in the actual world, and world PvP (STV hell yeah!)

You can watch videos of WoW and not get bored? O_o

I definitely miss Vanilla because, although it was difficult and tremendously time-consuming, the exploration and community factors were great.

I didn't really know how to level properly when I was 11 years old, so I spent all of my time running around most of Eastern Kingdoms and most of Kalimdor. I died so many times but it was undoubtedly worth it.

My most memorable experience was when I first ventured into the Plaguelands as a level 20. It actually scared me, and the NPCs killed me all day erryday until I finally got to Plaguewood to look at the floating necropolis of Naxxramas.
Then an abomination one shot me.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
Yeah, biggest problem with WotLK was everybody just standing around Dalaran all day.

The best part of vanilla for me was exploring, seeing people out in the actual world, and world PvP (STV hell yeah!)

You can watch videos of WoW and not get bored? O_o
I should clarify, BC arena videos haha

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, in cataclysm everyone just stands around in their home town.

At least in WoTLK there were people other places than dalaran. Stormwind and Ironforge also had a lot of people.

Not sure about Horde towns because my horde 80 always stood around Dalaraan, LOL.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Vanilla WoW was fun unless you wanted to do anything.

Classic had a total of 4 endgame instances. Strat, Scholo, Lbrs/Ubrs.

Spamming "LFG Ubrs" for an hour+ took forever to find a group, then took forever to get someone else to come to the damn stone to summon, then find out that no one has the damn key for the door.

Yeah, Vanilla wow was a blast.

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
^ I had a guild so I didn't have to deal with that crap. The whole reason I initially started playing is -everyone- I knew at the time played on the same server and did the same things. and god damnit it was so hard to get people to concentrate

and LBRS/UBRS ....*gag*

I never did get headmaster's charge for my shaman either. WTF.

Also, finding a glowing brightwood staff in vanilla? I'M RICH, *****

I also remember my shaman being so OP it was stupid.

I dunno about the exploring thing. I explored in vanilla, ignored outlands in bc but explored elsewhere, explored in wrath, and am exploring in cata. I have a tendency to wander I guess but FIND ALL THE RARE SPAWNS

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I don't know why people wouldn't explore the world.
I'm the kind of person who actually goes out to uncover the fog in the map because exploring is fun. Sure sometimes I die when I accidentally run into some high level elite mob that one shots me, but that's always been part of the fun for me.
I mean sure, I will sit in Stormwind waiting for ques but I do go out and explore the areas before.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I don't know why people wouldn't explore the world.
I'm the kind of person who actually goes out to uncover the fog in the map because exploring is fun. Sure sometimes I die when I accidentally run into some high level elite mob that one shots me, but that's always been part of the fun for me.
I mean sure, I will sit in Stormwind waiting for ques but I do go out and explore the areas before.
Being a rogue in Vanilla allowed for very easy map exploration. Stealth, hoooooooo.

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
My very first character was actually a rogue that I got to level 40 and then deleted. lolol

fkacyan

Smash Hero
My first character was a human mage who never made it past 15. Casters are boring.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
>_>

Though I consider myself a "Wrath kid," I actually played WoW for a bit back in Vanilla.

I had a level 25 Nelf Hunter (Rekka, I think) and a level 20 Gnome Mage (named Authochthon; shout outs to Exalted/Mage!).

...I didn't make it past level 25 'cause I got bored really quickly. My how the times change. Lol.

Smooth Criminal

Top Bottom