• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~ Wolf's Match-Up's ~

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
ok g&w>wolf because

power of course
Is pretty much even due to G&Ws weight

g&w recovers, he gets back on the stage. wolf recovers, he SHOULD get gimped by a fair
learn2DI!!!

bucket makes you weary of using blaster, your tool for spacing.
It's also a free fsmash

u tilt can get you to a solid 30% and followup with nair
Okay but it's not hard to avoid.

and g&w up smash can kill at 80%
learn2DI!!!

Wolf reliably beats the turtle with a retreating bair. Wolf in fact beats all of G&Ws moves with it and his dsmash = pwn. All you have to do is SH away and bair is a guaranteed hit - G&W just has to approach

That's usually the case when your right around Mid-tier.
Compare with Pit, Toon Link and Olimar :p

JCav

Smash Lord
oOo multi quote my post, i love it.

heres a situation, my friend JKBUK, you may know him gheb. but anyways we were at a tournament on sunday and omni was there. i played him, was up a stock, got 70% and go to recover and you know when you recover and this happens? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dVEkmLI47Q

did that into a charged f smash. (more tears) :'(

and he went on to beat omni in every match he played as wolf. sure he had his johns but the point is, he didnt lose to wolf.

and learning how to DI... uhh, do you like recovering with wolf? if yes, then please SHOW ME YOUR MOVES PLEASE!!!

wolfs recovery IS predictable, you cant deny that.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Wolfs recovery is predictable. If you DI upwards when getting knocked off the stage you don't even have to recover at all in many cases.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
JCav, teach me? I'm having difficulty lightstepping repeatedly :(

Wolf's great horizontal air speed means proper DI will almost always get you back on the stage safely.

JCav

Smash Lord
ok to do that tech, you need to side b so your sweetspot will be above the ledge.

best thing i could say is to aim up

and it looks cool

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
But... I always thought that was for telestepping 0.o I can (somewhat reliably) do both from the ledge, but thats about it. Thanks for the tip, I'll try it out next chance I get.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Yeah. Telestepping is where you land on the stage with 0 lag. I once accidentally buffered a shine out of telestepping, it was pretty awesome. I'm planning on trying to get telestepping down and working on telestep>grab, it would work wonders against people shielding against an expected semiscar.

Sesshomuronay

Smash Lord
Wait which ones tele stepping? The one where you its similar to scar but appear right on the ledge at a stand or is tele stepping where you like go kinda through the ledge but then go upwards into a jump thing.

Sesshomuronay

Smash Lord
Ahh ok thanks I know what those are then just didnt know what the names were.

And I dunno why but I think DK vs Wolf should be a bit more in our favor. Like maybe 60:40 instead of 55:45 but thats just my opinion.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Compare with Pit, Toon Link and Olimar :p
Ya except those characters don't have ******** fall speeds that allow for insane combos at the beginning of every stock.

Everyone in the Brawl community knows Olimar and Toon Link should both have been placed above Wolf. WHy they weren't in the first place is nothing short of a joke.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
You seem hell bent on making anti-Wolf posts everytime you post here.

Olimar is better than Wolf. Toon Link? Maybe?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Ya except those characters don't have ******** fall speeds that allow for insane combos at the beginning of every stock.
Says the person who tries to spread around what a "fantastic" character Fox is eh?

At least Wolf has the tools to avoid these situations.

By your logic Falco would be low high tier then

Everyone in the Brawl community knows Olimar and Toon Link should both have been placed above Wolf. WHy they weren't in the first place is nothing short of a joke.
Everybody who knows what he's talking about wouldn't say that. Olimar is perhaps better. Toon Link not.

Oh and why Fox is mid tier is a mystery.

You seem hell bent on making anti-Wolf posts everytime you post here.
Fox fanboys ftl

Olimar is better than Wolf. Toon Link? Maybe?
Fixed that for ya.
Bro, nice use of sarcasm, bro.
lol

Most people just seem to forget how much impact a player has on a cgaracters reputation. I bet ~50% of Kirbys good reputation is because of Chu. If a crazy player like that would use Wolf people would look at him differently.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Says the person who tries to spread around what a "fantastic" character Fox is eh?

At least Wolf has the tools to avoid these situations.

By your logic Falco would be low high tier then

I don't care about Foxs' perception around Smashboards and I certainly don't "spread around what a fantastic character he is", I believe he goes even with Snake.......OMG what a fanboy I am.

Everybody who knows what he's talking about wouldn't say that. Olimar is perhaps better. Toon Link not.

Oh and why Fox is mid tier is a mystery.

Once again, not caring about Fox.

Fox fanboys ftl

Obsessed much? Since when did anyone say anything about Fox?

lol

Most people just seem to forget how much impact a player has on a cgaracters reputation. I bet ~50% of Kirbys good reputation is because of Chu. If a crazy player like that would use Wolf people would look at him differently.

I could say the same thing about my "beloved" Fox.
Responses in bold.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
kk no more fox vs wolf debates or anything

Point is that troll attempts are not appreciated

-Mars-

Smash Hero
kk no more fox vs wolf debates or anything

Point is that troll attempts are not appreciated
Ya, I definitely won't ever again point out that a character boards matchup ratio contradicts the opposing character boards matchup ratio.............my bad.

Sesshomuronay

Smash Lord
I dunno why but im starting to disagree with ROB and game and watchs ratios.

I think they should both be even.

ROB has a bit of trouble KOing wolf if you DI right and you can out camp him if you stay in mid range eventually forcing him to approach. When he started you approach you can like B-air him and stuff cuz ROB isnt the best approacher out there. ROB does have a bit of an edge in edgeguarding but I think that the stuff wolf can do makes it even.

Against game and watch I think its just if you can space right and avoid his powerful smash attacks.

And im beginning to think wolf has the advantage over wario.

JCav

Smash Lord
if you can space right
if you can space right you can beat ddd

this isnt a good thing, if you play someone your level, you will be punished. good people make mistakes, good people punish them. ive always gone by the "just play smarter" theory, but its not applicable

Rythe

Smash Journeyman
I was wondering, why don't we have a Wolf matchup discussion? It seems like common sense since you should know all of his moves and approaches and whatnot, but maybe there's something I'm missing since I have trouble with Wolf dittos. Or maybe I'm just a bad player. <_<

castorpollux

Smash Champion
I was wondering, why don't we have a Wolf matchup discussion? It seems like common sense since you should know all of his moves and approaches and whatnot, but maybe there's something I'm missing since I have trouble with Wolf dittos. Or maybe I'm just a bad player. <_<
Wolf dittoes are like a completely different game. I do better olimar vs Wolf than I do wolf vs wolf. Lol

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I also thnk ROB is even. Maybe I'll change it but right now I'd rather change the G&W match-up since I'M sure G&W has no advantage

JCav

Smash Lord
Wolf dittoes are like a completely different game. I do better olimar vs Wolf than I do wolf vs wolf. Lol
i agree, i HATE wolf dittos, especially when omni only lives minutes away from me...

I also thnk ROB is even. Maybe I'll change it but right now I'd rather change the G&W match-up since I'M sure G&W has no advantage
you know, im starting to see this match up more neutral now

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I'd much rather have an explanation of each characters advantages on the other and how those tactics could be countered or avoided than just numbers, because numbers are relative. 60:40 to one person could be 70:30 to another because of differences in playstyle, if you get what I'm saying.

Also, JCav said you'd know this one Arc: Can something trade hits with shine, or hit through it? Just wondering, since the attack comes out on frame 7 but invincibility ends on 6...

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Well, good thing shine doesn't clank and has a hitbox almost as absurd as sideB then >_>

But back to matchups. Gheb, would you mind including little summaries over here for each character? Just mention some stuff to keep an eye out for and all, so people don't need to search through each individual thread.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
OK, I'll add summaries, when I have the time.

I'm busy atm, so it can take ~2 weeks until I can do it. But I see the point of it

ElPadrino

Smash Apprentice
I strongly disagree on the ROB vs Wolf matchup being neutral.

I'm fairly sure you cannot outcamp ROB, not if he plays smart. Also his Bair autospaces and outprioritizes yours (from what I've seen), and it's a disjoint.

Killing Wolf isn't a big deal for ROB, since he only needs to succesfully edgeguard you and you're done for.
His Fair and your Bair ussually trade hits, but I'm not very sure about it.

And don't forget ROB is actually a tiny bit heavier than Wolf, and his recovery is beyond amazing, so KOing ROB with proper DI ain't gonna be so easy.

I know what I'm talking about here, I main both Wolf and ROB.

ElPadrino

Smash Apprentice
I agree, with enough practice we'll be able to tech the spike consistently and pretty much have an even matchup.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Little Update. I changed some match-up ratios...most notably Falco and Diddy (both are about even now).

JCav

Smash Lord
i agree with both changes but im starting to give up on numbers for matchups...

Top Bottom