• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wofl Q&A/Social

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
That AD thing only works against characters with a lot of jumps, and wolf should be very careful off stage using DAIR, you are right to think that.

But Dair is pretty good, though I never use it because for some odd reason I forget wolf has a spike that isn't his forehead.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
These are all things that I think all wofls should be doing, I'm with you on those lol. I need to discover enough new tricks to come out with a new 2012 edition video.

Makes me wish I never would have been inactive lol
Someone should make a thread for us to collect all these little tricks in :3 I'd do it, but I make enough threads and I'm also super lazy lol. But really, it'd be great to have a central hub for all these little things.

...I'm still learning lightstep spacing.
It takes some practice, to say the very least X_x I can lightstep out of blaster planking pretty well, but not too well out of ledgedrop dj uair :/

A few questions after continuing to work on my wolf. Oh, and I've got the hang of DACUS now. I'm happy about that.

As a Melee player Wolf's Dair seems pretty good. However, I'm thinking the Brawl physics make it a lot worse. Am I right about this? It seems like an air dodge could save them, and since air dodging doesn't put them into free fall in this game, they could then KO me, and recover.

If I cancel sideB, I seem to have a lot of horizontal momentum. Would it be smart to use this to quickly jump across a stage (e.g. FD), or is it about as fast as running? If I'm trying to recover and don't think I'll be able to make it, would cancelling my sideB give me enough momentum to get back to stage?

Are there ever any opportunities to travel under Battlefield/Smashville in a fight, or is just something cool you're never actually going to use?

Wolf's a lot of fun to use.
Idk... dair *is* pretty good, hits a bunch of the taller characters out of a FH if you do it right away and space it properly. FH FF dair autocancels as well. Idk, the better I get the more I like this move lol, but it's definitely best used on-stage. As Wolf, anything with a decent amount of lag (dair/fair) should not be used offstage unless you'e really sure it'll hit. Not to say you shouldn't use it off-stage, but there's a lot of room for things to go wrong :x

SideB cancels are faster than running I believe, they're great for chasing your opponent and definitely for recovering. Especially if you're recovering from high up, a flash cancel onto something like the platform on battlefield is generally a lot safer than your other options.

ALWAYS. Oh my god. Always. You think you're getting gimped? Save your double jump, DI under the stage/AD, double jump, then upB to the other side. Don't want to deal with someone near the ledge? Save your double jump, airdodge through while DIing under the stage, double jump, then upB to the other side. Idk, I use it a LOT and people are always like "oh, I forgot he likes to do that -____-" when they miss their gimp xD It's also helpful if you're stuck on the ledge and don't know how to get back on, lightstep first and then aerial/blaster/AD/whatever to regain momentum. A lot of people don't expect it so you'll most likely get to the opposite ledge before they set up their ledgetraps.

Glad to hear you're enjoying Wolf ^^

EDIT:
It'd be awesome to play Wolf using Melee physics. I guess I only have to wait 6 days for that.
P:M hype ;D

:059:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Ahem, I've looked indepth into dair, and this is what I have to say about it:

- slow to start up
- long duration
- VERY low base knockback meaning it does **** all at low percentages
- 1.5 SDI multiplier
- Cannot be truly autocancelled in a short hop
+ Decent knockback growth meaning that knockback scales at 90% (This is decent)
+ Great damage, two hitboxes that do 13 and 15% respectively
+ RIDICULOUS range,

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
^ lol

Dair combos at low/mid %s though :3 like, dair right before landing into jab or dtilt or something.

The range, oh god the range. It hits FALCO out of a FH if you use it right away. I mean, come on. So good.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
:falco: is honestly over-hyped. Shuggles taught me how to beat :falco:.
SHIELD LOL

I think :falco: is not as good as :diddy:, :snake:, :metaknight:, :popo:, or :olimar:.

:018:

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
^ lol dair :3

@ Gull: Idk... Larry is super awesome lol, the things he showed/told me really changed my opinion. And shielding against Falco is good, but I'm too slow to react to dash > shield > shieldgrab, as well as super worried about getting usmashed out of everything xD

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
That's some pretty impressive range. Is there a topic somewhere with all of Wolf's hitboxes?

tekkie

Smash Master
lightstep cancel DJ > illusion cancel works on slow-*** characters when you're on the ledge and they're right in front of you, it's great

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
^ lol dair :3

@ Gull: Idk... Larry is super awesome lol, the things he showed/told me really changed my opinion. And shielding against Falco is good, but I'm too slow to react to dash > shield > shieldgrab, as well as super worried about getting usmashed out of everything xD

Why would you be shielding if you're both grounded? :falco:'s usmash is easy to powershield and he can't just throw it out. I guess it's harder to explain that shield beats :falco:. I'd need to play one and record the match to explain what I mean.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
lightstep cancel DJ > illusion cancel works on slow-*** characters when you're on the ledge and they're right in front of you, it's great
On BF it's extra nice because you can just do a regular sideB and land on the top platform, then dropdown shine to beat out whatever the opponent tries to do if they chase you <3

I've been a Wolf main. :D
Fixed <3

Why would you be shielding if you're both grounded? :falco:'s usmash is easy to powershield and he can't just throw it out. I guess it's harder to explain that shield beats :falco:. I'd need to play one and record the match to explain what I mean.

I'm bad :/ don't get me wrong lol, I do mostly agree with what you're saying, it's just that I can't pull it off yet. What should I be doing when we're both grounded?

i got 9th/25 at a regional :3

i have replays to sort through eventually
I'm not saying good job again because I already said it over text, deal with it <3 but replay hype :D

_Kain_

Smash Champion
Shielding doesn't exactly stop Falco, it only stops him if he's fishing hard for a kill, if he's smart he'll just keep racking percent, get a good read from you just shielding, throw you offstage, and uh oh

Larry is smart against Wolf offstage, and overall it seems, way above any other Falco player in that MU. So i can understand what Ish is saying lol

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
KAIN YOU FINALLY POST AGAIN

Awesome work at Vengeance, for real though. Have you played Larry before? SHDL is so much worse when the second one is silent @_@

_Kain_

Smash Champion
I've played him on wifi, and he was so good at abusing me offstage unlike any other falco

And thanks lol

And lmfao at Tekkie's post

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
@Ish Yeah i'm probably over complicating things again as I have a tendency to do that, lmao. I don't think i've got any videos that show what I mean, but i'll see when some stuff gets uploaded. Otherwise I could possibly just make a video for it but can't record and stuff so i duno. For Flash cancels & stuff I always referred to it as Half Cancel and Full Cancel, what do we call it here on the Wolfy boards?

With the whole edgeguard thing I just meant it might be a viable option since we sort of stick to the edge with a hitbox out, but the intended purpose is for planking. Don't really know what to make of it yet, just gotta test it out I suppose.

Oh and since were talking about ICs earlier..

ughhhhhh

He was playing pretty well for the most part, just needed Flash really. Those UpBs irked me to no end. For whoever asked that's pretty much what the MU looks like, but it was missing some stuff.

Also i just crouch against Falco. You can bring a shield up or shine if anything goes wrong, and you got DACUS & stuff.

sup Kain

:135:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I don't see how that MU is 5/5. ICs can shield and grab so easily then iceberg camp when they get the lead. That Wolf should have angled his recoveries but it's still bad. :(

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
@Ish Yeah i'm probably over complicating things again as I have a tendency to do that, lmao. I don't think i've got any videos that show what I mean, but i'll see when some stuff gets uploaded. Otherwise I could possibly just make a video for it but can't record and stuff so i duno. For Flash cancels & stuff I always referred to it as Half Cancel and Full Cancel, what do we call it here on the Wolfy boards?

With the whole edgeguard thing I just meant it might be a viable option since we sort of stick to the edge with a hitbox out, but the intended purpose is for planking. Don't really know what to make of it yet, just gotta test it out I suppose.

Oh and since were talking about ICs earlier..

ughhhhhh

He was playing pretty well for the most part, just needed Flash really. Those UpBs irked me to no end. For whoever asked that's pretty much what the MU looks like, but it was missing some stuff.

Also i just crouch against Falco. You can bring a shield up or shine if anything goes wrong, and you got DACUS & stuff.

sup Kain

:135:
I can record a clip for you if necessary :3

Yeah, that's how ICs should be fought imo, but I find it so hard to do that unless I'm in the mood and one PS still tends to ruin everything ;___; like, once you get it going against ICs it's all pretty good, if only one slip-up wasn't punished so bad :/

Wolf McBlue

Smash Journeyman
I wish there were more falco players in AL there is only 2 and one is kismet, which he is really nice with advice. Would falco's dash cancel into usmash be shield able? Since kismet does that from time to time and it gets me alot ><

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
You can shield both hits, and I think if you're quick you can grab armor the usmash after the dash attack. It's a bit tricky though imo, since there's a decent window for them to decide if they want to usmash or not, so you need to be careful when you go about punishing (especially because of the extra shieldpush from taking two attacks)

Skadorski

// s o n d e r
NNID
Skadorski
So I (hopefully) should be going to my first offline tourney in a little over a week. Any tips for me, Wolf specific or just general tournament stuff? Pretty sure I'm going all Wolf (it's MK banned btw).

:038:

Rizen

Smash Legend
So I (hopefully) should be going to my first offline tourney in a little over a week. Any tips for me, Wolf specific or just general tournament stuff? Pretty sure I'm going all Wolf (it's MK banned btw).

Opponents will play cheap, stick around if your match is coming up because you can lose stocks or the entire match if you're too late, deep breaths, play your best but with a friendlies mindset so you don't get nervous, expect a lot of high tiers, don't forget that timing an opponent out is an option (rather than approaching and taking damage when you have the lead), tourney SDs suck but s*** happens :/ , DDD is a fat sack of c***.

tekkie

Smash Master

omfg i'm the biggest solatorobo fanboy on earth <3

just take it as a learning experience, and do your best to *think* about your results. every tournament should be a springboard to a higher level of play.

hey here's some wofl stuff from my AZ trip

first of all, me and OkamiBW, a melee player who is clearly a wofl brethren because BW stands for black wolf and he had this wofl with him at the tournament and stuff

i also found this wofl at a gas station in the middle of nowhere. i wish i had bought it lol.

oh and i found this wofl pup on reddit :3

rsr2

Smash Lord

Have fun but don't talk about Brawl too much. Just be yourself and you will have a good time :D I've been

ALSO PAGE 1000! SUP!

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
I've been following it ever since I heard about it.. Today was long overdue.

FML

i'm so sad. The guy i was supposed to leech from already *****d his PSN out to 5 other people, which is apparently the cap, so i can't download the full version. Sorta doubting i'll get the game now, i'd have to buy it and who buys stuff anymore.

:sadshiro:

Gryphy

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, So I figure it's time to stop lurking and start posting. I'm a NC wolf main at ECU and I go to most of the tourneys hosted around NC(i.e. TGM, NCSU, etc...). I've been a wolf main for a while, most of my more recent results are posted here.

I'm really looking for some tips and suggestions and to be a part of the general wolf discussions. I feel like my knowledge base on Wolf has grown large enough to actually be of use.

Here's a couple of my matches from the most recent local at ECU.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HIwMKRUjOM&list=UUi6yci6SPATjX2-vH7yRB6A&index=1&feature=plcp
I've already fixed a few of my issues (over-use of dsmash, approaching too much and too haphazardly, rolling so much) but any insight and pointers would be great.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Hey guys, So I figure it's time to stop lurking and start posting. I'm a NC wolf main at ECU and I go to most of the tourneys hosted around NC(i.e. TGM, NCSU, etc...). I've been a wolf main for a while, most of my more recent results are posted here.

I'm really looking for some tips and suggestions and to be a part of the general wolf discussions. I feel like my knowledge base on Wolf has grown large enough to actually be of use.

Here's a couple of my matches from the most recent local at ECU.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HIwMKRUjOM&list=UUi6yci6SPATjX2-vH7yRB6A&index=1&feature=plcp
I've already fixed a few of my issues (over-use of dsmash, approaching too much and too haphazardly, rolling so much) but any insight and pointers would be great.
I'VE ACTUALLY MET YOU BEFORE! I was at animazement this year. We played team friendlies, and I think I saw you win the majority of your friendlies against not-Foxxy and Stockfield.

Gryphy

Smash Cadet
I'VE ACTUALLY MET YOU BEFORE! I was at animazement this year. We played team friendlies, and I think I saw you win the majority of your friendlies against not-Foxxy and Stockfield.
Yesssss! I remember as well. I'm a lot better now than I was then. I win against Foxxy and go even with Stock in friendlies. I had just picked up Wolf as my real main a month before animazement so it was still scrubby.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Good, I've kinda been keeping tabs on you since I lurk NC threads and you are no longer bottoming out so yeah, nice improvement.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
You should forget ECU and come to NCSU next year. That way you can hang out with me and Stingers and teach me Wolf stuff.

Top Bottom