• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Witchhunt 1

Sabrar

Smash Ace
This is all like, totally standard procedure for D1. How are you not getting it?
Why talk about hooks earlier? I asked you why you do not have follow-ups, you implied that things are in motion. What you just described is very far from that.

BoomFrog

Smash Lord
Why talk about hooks earlier?
I mean, my voting was to get reactions. From Frozen, Boo and Xivii. My meaning was I didn't follow up because I wanted to see what Frozen and Boo would do when I backed off.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Someone else could easily end up claiming. Maybe the oracle needs to save their ward. Maybe the priest needs to claim to self preserve. Then, if we have two claimed town, scum get a double kill using soup.

Your last point was phrased weirdly then, but yeah what's wrong with discussing optimal town play for every role? This is a new setup, we should get that out of the way sometime D1 anyway. Do you disagree with any of my advice?
"double kill using soup?" What? I literally don't know what you're talking about here, only double kill I saw in the rules was the Last Stand ability for the coven?

your last sentence is dodging my question. there's obviously nothing wrong with providing basic strategy in a vacuum to discuss and consider. What I asked you was why you rushed to post your own strategies, then told KingBoo to specifically follow YOUR strategies, all in an attempt to obviate and render moot my push for a claim. I'm not expecting you to agree with me here and admit that was what you were doing, but it's what you did, it's obvious. You wanted to shut down any consideration of Boo early claiming and I am having a really hard piecing together why town!Boom would do that

Sabrar

Smash Ace
Also, Sabrar Sabrar Have you 100% agreed with my strategies for roles?
Not 100% but close.

Priest - Target whoever you find scummy.
This is a bit more complicated because haunt might give you incorrect result. You need to get a check that you can trust and which is not currently a town-consensus. Of course haunt needs a dead witch, so there are multiples scenarios to consider.

Gravedigger - If you learn that a witch is killed then claim.
If there are 2 deaths in the night we would know a witch is already dead because of Last Stand. In that case they don't need to claim except if the witch's role is crucial to the solve.

Dirty Old ******* - Ditto for hunter. Except, if you die during the night you will know exactly how many are alive in the morning when it's time to kill. If that would be three, then don't kill, let them vote it out.
According to rules DOB has to queue in advance so they can't decide based on how many are alive in the morning.

Sabrar

Smash Ace
What I asked you was why you rushed to post your own strategies, then told KingBoo to specifically follow YOUR strategies, all in an attempt to obviate and render moot my push for a claim.
Are you aware of the double standard you're applying here? You pushed KingBoo to claim before there was any consensus, BF posted a different strategy. It's the same.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
sure it's a double standard but I don't give a ****, I was completely transparent about my intentions and overtly told kingboo that he could wait for other input if he wanted but that I wouldn't be upset if he just claimed and got it over with

boom is not at all being transparent and seems to have an ulterior motive that I can't understand from a town!boom perspective

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
also you're equivocating "strategy" here sabrar. though the decision of whether or not kingboo should early claim is in fact a "strategy" decision generally, we're talking about two different strategies. I was pushing for boo to early claim so we could rein in the variance of his slot and then come to consensus about the strategy that his slot should employ re: any power he may end up having. boom offered his individual strategies for hwo to play each power role in particular. it's a difference between micro and macro strategy

but of course sabrar and I would get into a semantic argument D1, par for the course

Sabrar

Smash Ace
It's not about semantics, it's the general idea that both of you are pushing a course of action to go according to your own will but you are calling out BF on that.

KingBooGengar57

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-6126-0782-8125
Boom's mentioning witches getting extra kills. Maybe, he is one? Just a theory, but it could be.

Sabrar

Smash Ace
KingBooGengar57 KingBooGengar57 The rules were presented upfront, there are no hidden kills anywhere. I did not see the soup and I think I read the original rules quite early but we should wait for fonti to answer that.

Sabrar

Smash Ace
So if they were removed and only BoomFrog remembers them, why would that make him a witch specifically?

KingBooGengar57

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-6126-0782-8125
Simple, he's the only one of us that came up with that statement.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
My sus on FF comes from #74, it's again a placating response, after the fire FF showed in Apex this reaction seemed uncharacteristic coming from town!FF who thought I might be scum.
fwiw, that wasn't meant to be placating, I was showing humility because you are 100% correct that I completely failed to correctly read your slot despite tunneling it all game. if I wanted to placate someone, I wouldn't have juxtaposed my admission that your trashtalk was warranted with the slightly antagonizing "still got the W tho"

BoomFrog

Smash Lord
Ninjad again. BoomFrog BoomFrog I'm really curious where you got the idea?
Ahh... got it. Fonti linked me another witch-hunt game just before signups of this game. I thought the soup rule was generic.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Disagree. Some players are confident that they can get away with blatant stuff if their reasoning seems solid enough. I went into this game with the notion that any rolefishing on D1 is much more likely coming from scum and I see no reason to change my mind on that.
what about this game in particular made you come in with this notion?

I already have what I need from him, and he has us at bottom two, that's a clear implication that he thinks there's atleast a decent probability that we're in the world of scum!FF and scum!Boom. yes that's a stretch, yes I'm making it to be deliberately inflammatory

and I'm asking you because I'm interested in your reaction to our rankings on his list and if you think he could have a genuine basis for thinking us to be possible mates
you never got back to me on this BoomFrog BoomFrog

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Given Fonti confirming that there is no witches soup or whatever claim punishing role BF was fearmongering about, I still very much think kingboo should claim now.

Let's put it to a vote shall we?

Position of whether KingBoo should claim: Aye

Sabrar

Smash Ace
Position of whether KingBoo should claim: Nay

what about this game in particular made you come in with this notion?
The size of the game and the information asymmetry. There is a potential of witches having an extra kill due to role plus there is the double kill after the first witch dies. Given the small number of players we can't do the usual strategy of "let's lynch both if there is a contradiction". Furthermore witches have access to a third role that they can safely claim, which means that a standard mass claim also does not work, at least not on D1.
Individual claims also do not help town because you have no way to verify them, however they help witches to find the Priest/Oracle/Survivalist/etc.

Sabrar

Smash Ace
Ahh... got it. Fonti linked me another witch-hunt game just before signups of this game. I thought the soup rule was generic.
I'll reevaluate. Let's try to keep rules-meta out of our games in the future, okay?

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
man you love to phrase things in a very confusing but also suggestive way

sounds to me like you're claiming priest or gravedigger based on your phrasing and your claim that you do not have a killing ability

KingBooGengar57

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-6126-0782-8125
Believe it or not, the killing ability was sarcasm. I can kill people, but not during the night.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Position of whether KingBoo should claim: Nay

The size of the game and the information asymmetry. There is a potential of witches having an extra kill due to role plus there is the double kill after the first witch dies. Given the small number of players we can't do the usual strategy of "let's lynch both if there is a contradiction". Furthermore witches have access to a third role that they can safely claim, which means that a standard mass claim also does not work, at least not on D1.
Individual claims also do not help town because you have no way to verify them, however they help witches to find the Priest/Oracle/Survivalist/etc.
What extra kill? Or are you just saying a witch could have hunter or DOB?

I never pushed for a massclaim, nor did I say if there is a counterclaim we should just lynch both slots back to back

individual claims can help town because if we believe the claim is genuine it helps narrow the lynch pool. individual claim in kingboo's case could help town because we can tell him how to not throw the ****ing game if he is a swingy town power role

Sabrar

Smash Ace
Or are you just saying a witch could have hunter or DOB?
This one.

I never pushed for a massclaim, nor did I say if there is a counterclaim we should just lynch both slots back to back
I know and I never said that you did any of those things. I'm just explaining my entire thought process in response to your question.

individual claims can help town because if we believe the claim is genuine it helps narrow the lynch pool.
Why on earth would we reduce the lynch pool just because of a specific claim (outside of Priest, obv)? How can you judge whether a claim is genuine D1?

individual claim in kingboo's case could help town because we can tell him how to not throw the ****ing game if he is a swingy town power role
This is the only part where I would agree with you, however you don't seem to take into account the downsides of the claim.

Sabrar

Smash Ace
You're indirectly implying that you are unfamiliar with the witches' abilities therefore you must be town.

Top Bottom