• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wisdom Teeth

Overload

Smash Lord
I just found out today that my wisdom teeth have to come out. It will happen during the summer. I'm not thrilled at all. Who here has had them taken out? Would you recommend staying awake or going under? How bad is the pain?

Good ol' Friday 13th always bringing good news.

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord
Oh yea, you gotta love Friday the 13th...
And stay awake.. its n ot that bad (From what I've heard)
The pain afterwards is pretty annoying though :D
Good luck

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Let's see... I remember walking into the office, sitting down in the procedure chair and then waking up 30 minutes later to be told I no longer had my wisdom teeth. After being home for a few hours, the meds started to wear off and the pain was excruciating. Took some of the vicodin they gave me and just kept that up while being very careful of what I ate and making sure I kept the sockets clean.

Honestly, finding things to comfortably eat was the worst part. I lived on mushy food for about a week.

The procedure isn't bad at all though. Definitely go under. Take your meds and the pain won't be too bad. Watch what you eat, as that can cause more pain and you'll have to clean gunk out of the sockets.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I just found out today that my wisdom teeth have to come out. It will happen during the summer. I'm not thrilled at all. Who here has had them taken out? Would you recommend staying awake or going under? How bad is the pain?

I had them taken out.

You're pretty much have to be knocked out.

Overload

Smash Lord
I'm leaning towards going under. Hopefully my parents allow it. When I was little I had to get a tooth pulled. I remember getting 6 shots of novocaine and I still felt a good deal of pain. I was crying so we went somewhere else and they gave me laughing gas and since the tooth was already loose I didn't feel anything. I also had to take some pill beforehand and I couldn't walk without falling.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I only had two of my wisdom teeth taken out for some reason, but I was awake the whole time. I could feel them digging into my gums, breaking my teeth, and removing them piece by piece. It didn't hurt, but it was still gut wrenching to hear, see and feel everything. Go under if you can!

The pain wasn't excruciating after for me, but it was by far the most annoying thing ever. 4 stitches in your mouth, no real food for weeks, plus unattractive swelling is blargh.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace

It doesn't hurt at all. I got them taken out with out anesthesia or numbing.

Overload

Smash Lord
Even if it doesn't hurt during the procedure, I'd rather go under just so I don't have to be hearing everything. I'd rather have it seem like it's over in the blink of an eye.

I'll probably go on a liquids only diet for a little while after it's over. . .ugh.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Even if it doesn't hurt during the procedure, I'd rather go under just so I don't have to be hearing everything. I'd rather have it seem like it's over in the blink of an eye.

I'll probably go on a liquids only diet for a little while after it's over. . .ugh.
Well, I guess you can listen to your Ipod while gtting it done, that's what my teacher did for his.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth taken out last summer. It wasn't bad at all.

It swelled for about 1 day and there wasn't much pain during the procedure or after
I was literally eating regular food the next day xD

Guess I was just lucky

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
had two of mine taken out like 6 monthes ago,
it varies from person to person how long the swelling will last,
you want to make sure if they give you stitches on your gums,
to make sure they dont get infected, mine did and this horrible liquid builded up
and ruined my taste for weeks, I had to go on antibiodics,
you will most likely need to eat soft cold food for the first day or two.
It really depends how the docter is to see how it goes, I was knocked out when they
removed mine, all and all I lost wieght and it wasnt to bad, I hardlt felt any pain

Overload

Smash Lord
I think only two of mine are getting removed, so that's somewhat of a relief.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer

It swelled for about 1 day and there wasn't much pain during the procedure or after

Guess I was just lucky
Yeah, gods damn you got lucky. I had all four removed on a Friday. My doc thought I'd be good to head back to class on Monday... ha. I stayed home through THURSDAY because my face was swollen for so long.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Yah i got mine removed on a friday and was going out on sunday

for the first day or so keep ice on it, the n the second day is heat.

or the reverse of that. i dont remember

also i was knocked the hell out and it was fantastic

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
I had a good doctor who removed my wisdom teeth and gave me great post-op recovery advice, so I had very little swelling. As for my actual surgery, I was out the whole time and able to eat two days later for Thanksgiving dinner.

bored

Smash Ace
It's really not that bad. I was given some narcotics, told to wait 10 minutes, then I was put on some nitrous oxide which made me feel derealized. I remember the entire operation, all I felt was pressure, but no pain.

After that, I remember the dental assistant walking me to my car, bits and pieces of me falling down numerous times, and talking to myself in the car while my dad went to get my perscription of acetaminophen.

I did have trouble a couple of days later though, the taste of blood in your mouth is horrible, and I had constant headaches, but thankfully it didn't take that long for me to recover.

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer

Guess I was just lucky
This.

I had a little bit of swelling the first day, but no extra bleeding, and no pain.
I took two of my vicodin at the dentist's office and that was it.

I was eating pizza and fried chicken the next day......delicious junk food....

MBreeto

Smash Ace
lol, my definition of junk food is something that doesn't require cooking ;)

Anyways, my wisdom teeth are coming in and they are getting really annoying now. I am constantly biting my cheek when I eat, but I am not at home, so I can't get them taken out

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
This.

I had a little bit of swelling the first day, but no extra bleeding, and no pain.
I took two of my vicodin at the dentist's office and that was it.

I was eating pizza and fried chicken the next day......delicious junk food....
I couldn't anything solid for 5 days, due to the stitches, possibly getting infected....they did >.>
my luck I didn't even want to eat anything with the infection everything tasted horrible. That reminds me, after I woke up from the removal, I couldn't even walk straight, they may have used alittle to much, then I went to sleep in the car. Then woke up about 3 hours later on my bed, with this sore in my jaw. For the first few days though I kept drinking mocha frappacionos or however you spell it.

Kri3o

Smash Apprentice
Hanging out with my badass dragon friends in Chica
Oh yea, you gotta love Friday the 13th...
And stay awake.. its n ot that bad (From what I've heard)
The pain afterwards is pretty annoying though :D
Good luck
Yes staying a wake is better because of the fact that more cavitys grow when your in sleep mode.

Unless you don't want to be in pain all day, don't eat too much, try soup for dinner instead of the dried rock sandwhiches your mom makes.

Martel Hammer

Smash Apprentice
Got all 4 taken out last year. Had to stay home for like 2 days because of the swelling in my jaw, PLUS I got a fever. Woot. Overall, the procedure itself isn't bad, they numbed me up but I could still feel pressure where they were removing them. Even with the pain meds, it was the most annoying thing ever. I couldn't eat normal food for a week.

Skrah

Smash Ace
For some reason I'm only gonna have 3 wisdom teeth. Evolution anyone?

Anyways, just don't eat hard food. My cousin was so sick of the food they gave him and he ordered fried chicken. Lol bad move.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I got mine taken out in April of 2007. I was asleep during the procedure. I woke up and could walk. At first I felt normal except for some numbness in my mouth. Later that evening I felt pain in the gums. Pain was the worst thing I felt but it was primarily an anoyance. My sister was throwing up for a few days when she got her's done. It took me quite awhile to eat solid food though. Weeks later I had Nestle Cruncha Bunch and that hurt my gums. Hopefully if you decide to get yours pulled you'll be able to eat normally rather soon. It's not a horrible procedure to endure.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
It wasn't that bad for me. At all really.

I went out with friends that night and managed to eat something (soft, of course) from Taco Bell with no problem. Didn't have to take any pain meds.

The most annoying part for me was having my entire mouth numb for a few hours.

Scott!

Smash Lord
I had mine out at the beginning of the summer. As most people are saying, definitely go under. It's just like being asleep, except you wake up with less teeth and some creepy stitches in your mouth. But the most important thing, in my experience, is to keep ice on your face vigilantly. I had an ice pack on my face pretty much whenever I was awake, and I felt pretty much no pain at all ever.

I do remember being warned not to drink from a straw for a little while though. Maybe the suction would make them come out or something. I dunno.

Middi

Smash Rookie
As my dentist recommended, I would not go under. A lot of people I've talked to that have gone under, threw up after due to the anesthetic. It takes longer to recover if you do anesthetic.

It's not bad at all seriously... none of my 4 were out of the gums yet, and literally, he just numbed the gums, then gave a shot, I didn't feel anything. No laughing gas, No going under, just numbing, and it was fine. First tooth was out in like 5 seconds and I had to ask him if one was out lol.

Honestly though, the worst part of the operation is not during it, but after it. Choosing to go under or not isn't a big deal, you just recovery slightly faster if you don't. When the numbing wears off, it hurts really bad, so make sure... as SOON as they let you out of the office, to haul your *** to the nearest pharmacy and take those pain meds. It's very uncomfortable for like a day after you get them out... but it's not that bad.

They give you a lot of advice after like umm... I don't know yea that straw, and don't spit a lot or something, just make sure, oh and TRY not to play with your stitches.... it's hard, everyone does it lol.

Did anyone else's dentist give them the... "I have to tell you this because it's the law, but there is a really small chance that your mouth could be permanently numbed due to nerve damage" LOL sorry I bet that scared you

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
As my dentist recommended, I would not go under. A lot of people I've talked to that have gone under, threw up after due to the anesthetic. It takes longer to recover if you do anesthetic.
While it does take you longer to come out of a knock-out at the office, they tell you in advance not to eat or drink ANYTHING after midnight [or earlier if you can make it] the night before they knock you out because the anasthetic will make you ill if you have anything in your stomach.

If you're referring to general recovery, I was knocked out and functioning normally within a day. :/

battousai555

Smash Ace
I don't know if this has been said yet, but don't take your meds on an empty stomach! My stupid father gave them to me before I ate anything and I couldn't keep food down. I ended up having to take a suppository. /facepalm

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Ok this is everything you need to know as I just got my 4 removed last week:

1st: All you need is the Novacaine, laughing gas and some music. The rest is pretty pointless and even annoying or risky because the IV for the IV fluids is generally done by a nurse who hasn't done it in a long time, meaning she's fairly likely to mess up the IV the first time, more than normal. The knock out anesthesia is also over the top, you don't wanna have a risk of dying just to be knocked out during it.

2nd: Do not eat any solid food for the weekend. I tried with painkillers and it was terrible. You are going to want to eat solid foods, don't. Make smoothies and get soup and juices. That will be your food. Start eating food after the weekend and start very slowly. Start off eating very soft stuff like pears and the like. Chocolate is a no unless its chocolate fondu, in which case your parents are ****ing amazing.

3rd: Use the vicodin if they give you it. Its worth it. Do not skip any of the pain killers because you are feeling better at any time during the weekend. You will be in agony later.

4th: Your mouth will be bleeding the first day. It will like slow down once you can feel your jaw again by a significant amount. Put in gauze for a while and moisten it first, and eventually take it out, like at 5 PM on the first day.

jber4life

Smash Apprentice
I got three of mine taken out, and i went under.

If you can handle going under and you usually have good reactions to it, i would defs suggest going under.

The worst part is the couple days after, the pain, the bleeding, and the lack of food. Its all gross.

Also, DONT SMOKE!!! DRY SOCKETING HURTS

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
I got mine out freshman year of high school. I didn't have much pain really, but I wasn't able to eat too much. Also, the bleeding was really bad. I was supposed to put these cotton swab like things in my mouth to absorb it. Was pretty disgusting.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I haven't got mine out yet, but I have had 6 teeth cut out before getting braces. So yeah, got a little story from this one.

So anyways, it's like 6:30 ish in the morning and I have to get up and go to the stupid oral surgeon. I'm like 12 then, or maybe 11. So it's not that hard to get up yet. I'm up and ready to go quickly. We get to the place and I go back instantly. It was pretty pleasant at first. I laid back in the chair and the nurse covered me up with a blanket because I looked cold. Hospitality was freaking great. So yeah, they put me on laughing gas then and said they were going to start the IV. I felt a slight pinch...I looked over. My whole arm was red. Covered in blood. I don't think they even got the IV in before I passed out. The last thing I remember seeing was like blood dripping onto the floor. I don't even really remember what exactly they had said happened to my vein. But it drenched my arm in blood. Yeah, unpleasant experience there.

But I did get to use this story to sketch out my sister before she got her wisdom teeth out. So worth it.

drcossack

Smash Ace

Guess I was just lucky
I had all of mine out in November.

The day they were pulled, all I could eat was soup. The next day, I was eating normally (cheese & pasta) - I had to take a vicodin to do it. By Thursday (Thanksgiving), I could manage turkey (after a vicodin), though I had to cut it into small pieces. I went from taking whole vicodin to half a vicodin on Friday, and I was more or less normal on Saturday.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
I had mine taken out by a bear.

It wasn't actually a scheduled procedure, but they needed to be taken out anyway.

Top Bottom