• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will melee's competitive scene live on?

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Since they basically turned brawl into a pure party game, will the competitive melee scene live on? I don't think brawl can possibly be a stimulating competitive game.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
No.

Brawl's lack of competitiveness and incredible popularity will destroy the melee scene imo. No new players will come to Melee, the scene will stagnate, some will move to brawl etc.

It's gonna be SC2 - SC3 all over again.

rubiksfriend

Smash Apprentice
I'm pissed that Sakurai tried to nerf Brawl, and make it for "the new players". WTF, Sakurai? I'll still play Melee with a few friends every so often, but not like I used to. Most people will move onto Brawl. It's easier to play technically.

LordLocke

Smash Journeyman
I'm thinking it'll be like the Street Fighter scene- many of them move on to the newest game in the bunch, but the old dog isn't forgotten- Super Turbo is still one of the most popular tournament games around.

That said, more people WILL play Brawl then Melee- a lot more people will play the new hotness exclusively then those who will refuse to give it a fair shake. Only if Brawl totally face-plants under high-level scrutiny will Melee still be the centerpiece of competitive-level play. But if both games are different enough to exist side-by-side, which it's looking like could very well be the case, the Melee scene will only truely die when the SSB scene goes down entirely.

Sandwich

Smash Ace
It'll pull a Street Fighter, yeah.
I think Brawl will be probably popular competitively despite a majority of people here moaning about wavedashing or something I saw on /a/ the other day. Melee will still be popular, because let's face it, we've been playing this game for 7-8 years, it's not going to be like Halo 1 to 2 to 3 and have to evolve to survive.

What I want to see one of these days from you tournament directors is a Smash mega tournament. Brawl, Melee, and 64 all in one huge smashfest.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Melee's competetive scene wont die, but will greatly diminish to the point where there may be a side tournament for melee at every event. but of course brawl will be the main course. However

Please everyone remember that Brawl is not the united states or europe yet and there are still advanced techniqes to be discovered and put to use. l-cancleing being taken out is a big hit to the competetive community but it may not be the death that we all are making it out to be. be patient, and we will see in eight months or so if this game can start developing into a competetive fighter.

Adi

Smash Lord
It depends on how good of a competitive metagame develops in Brawl. Right now, things are looking good for Melee ^_^.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
I'm completely content if Melee turns out like SF2, but with how much Brawl looks like it sucks it's definitely going to turn out more like SC2, which is not good.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Wow, I would hope most of the competitiveness goes over to Brawl just because of the new characters (like PT MK DDD and Diddy) who everybody had been waitting for, but I do sort of want to keep melee because it was so much faster and not as floaty, and it will take awhile to get used to the buffs and major nerfs

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I don't think nerfing the play and making it slower is the end all of everything. I mean, do you really think there would be no competitive melee if WaveDashing wasn't in the game? I think we just are in a transition period where we need to flesh out the game.

True, as a Wii game, Brawl is not going to have as many abusable 'glitches' to create a meta-game, but as long as players can still develop more skills, I think competitive Brawl play is entirely possible, ESPECIALLY with all the people like me, who are hoping to become one of the best at a new game, since they got into melee late.

My biggest complaint? They took out lighting melee (I think). WTH wants to play with bunny-hoods always on?

EDIT:

Also, I do think melee will live on for at least 2 more years. Unlike the upgrade from Smash64 to melee, Brawl took out many things. Naturally, people who get the desire to SHL, or tip, or Wavedash, etc, will pop their melee into their Wii.

S2

Smash Lord
Like any iconic fighting game, yeah it will. But be aware that many will stop playing Melee for Brawl and almost no one who isn't already good will continue to play. It won't be a reflection of how good Melee is, people simply move on when sequels come out. If anything, any Melee competitive scene after Brawl is a testiment to how good of a game it is.

Street Fighter 2 still has a small competitive scene. Melee won't completely die, but its glory days are probably over.

rubiksfriend

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai just sh*t in my wheaties. WTF? No L-canceling? Arguably, the single, most important technique dating back to the original. I will still play Melee because it's FAST and very technical.

Pritch

Smash Lord
Sheer, you should pick up guilty gear. Waaaay cooler than brawl is looking to be (and I think there's a decent scene in orlando already, though I could be wrong).

C@sH Mooney

Smash Master
I feel brawl will not be as competitive. If it will be the least.

But I do have to say I would like to wait and see.

We're only looking at the japanese version. If its like the PAL version and American version of melee,perhaps things will be different in the american version. Who knows.

Rang Flash

Smash Journeyman
Melee is getting boring IMO. I don't think it will die out, though. I'll probably still play it and go to the occasional tourney/smashfest just for kicks, but my main focus will be on Brawl. I think everyone's main smash game will be Brawl after it's released.
It's like Halo 2 and Halo 3. Halo 2 was considered by many people a better game with more advanced techs, but when Halo 3 came out more people played it because it was the latest game with the best graphics.
More players = a bigger community, so I see this as a good thing , despite some flaws in Brawl's competitive play.

Aesir

Smash Master
No.

Brawl's lack of competitiveness and incredible popularity will destroy the melee scene imo. No new players will come to Melee, the scene will stagnate, some will move to brawl etc.

It's gonna be SC2 - SC3 all over again.
Sc3 was ballz compared to sc2 theres still an sc2 scene, the sc series was just never really big enough.

If anything it'll be like sf2 turbo and 3s

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
the only people I see ever picking up melee again are those who miss their dear friend called wave dashing.
You're a ******. Taking out l-canceling, wavedashing and all other advance techniques that aren't present in Brawl is taking out the deepness that is Melee. Without that stuff in the game you would just have this average game that I actually stopped playin till I figured out there was a lot more to the game. And they totally dummed down Brawl for EVERYONE to play. They want ****in grandmothers to be able to play the game so how will Brawl be any good when you don't target the hardcore gamer and you want to target everyone else in the set. Now I'm not sayin I won't play Brawl because I will definitely play Brawl, but to think that it'll be on the same level or higher than Melee is just wishful thinkin.

The Mano Games VII

Smash Journeyman
Where I live? Why, location is a state of mind my
I've been wondering, where exactly does it say it took all those out? Anyways, I know this change probably seems like a negative thing to us all. But really who's to say there aren't any new glitches or techniques to make it competitive? And even if we don't, hey at least they added more to the story mode, and I don't think the tier list will have as much of a chance at surviving with these new "nerfs and buffs". For all we know, there may be just a simple period of trouble transition, then we're ship shape again. Personally I think we should try it out first before making too many judgements.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Guys, come on!! A fighting game is a fighting game as I myself have recently realized. It is still a game that people want to play in huge tournaments and will be until Smash 4 comes out in at least 6-7 years. I've been watching the vids on youtube recently and I have discovered that even l-canceling being out is not necessarily THAT bad of a thing. Sure, I would have MUCH preferred that it was in, but now it'll just emphasize the area of prediction and punishment because now, if you miss an attack, you will most likely get punished pretty severely if the other player is any good. And of course, this is all a WHOLE LOT easier to swallow if you consider that Sakurai only took out those things to cut the online lag time.

Eggm

Smash Hero
Also new characters are winning tournaments (jigglypuff) (nearly samus hugs at evo world) Also there are more and more upsets the good players are getting closer to the pros, I think if more people keep playing and training eventually new pros and higher levels of play will evovle, I hope it still continues on, and I hope brawl discovers new techniques so we can play both. :)

GenoBlast

Smash Ace
I know its too early to claim brawl is bad, but...

Melee has stayed interesting and has been played competitively for like 6 years. I've only begun looking at Brawl videos and I'm already bored of the game.....

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I know its too early to claim brawl is bad, but...

Melee has stayed interesting and has been played competitively for like 6 years. I've only begun looking at Brawl videos and I'm already bored of the game.....
Woah, that makes one person.

Anyway "pros" as you all like to be called will stick to Melee because you can't wavedash in Brawl, thus taking away from your "mad skills".

Sarcasm or not? You be the judge.

GenoBlast

Smash Ace
I'm sure ill like Brawl a ton. The game looks like a lot of fun. Just 1v1s seem a bit slow it will take a while to get used to that.

Teams look like they would rock those.

The only thing I'm at all worried about is singles. And once again I wont claim anything is wrong about the game cause I have no right too since I have yet to play it. Im just stating my observations.

Taekmkm

Smash Cadet
Some melee=>Brawl rule conversions work and don't work.

4 Stocks=bad. I'm talking Peach on Jigglypuff Dreamland bad. It might end quicker than you expected, but otherwise you might as well kill yourself, resurrect, and do it again before the match ends.

With that in mind, people are consistently winning on 4-5 minutes on 3 stocks with little-no practice. It's only going to get faster.

Kyldare

Smash Apprentice
I have seen a lot of people complaining about the lack of wavedashing/various other techniques that might be left out, but I am sure that the hardcore players will find new, and even more innovative techniques to lift the level of play and separate the elite from everybody else. I am sure that when Melee came out, most people couldn't have even imagined some of the standard techniques used in competitive play today. I think that the game will gradually evolve into something completely different than melee, but ultimately even more competitive.

S2

Smash Lord
Some melee=>Brawl rule conversions work and don't work.

4 Stocks=bad. I'm talking Peach on Jigglypuff Dreamland bad. It might end quicker than you expected, but otherwise you might as well kill yourself, resurrect, and do it again before the match ends.

With that in mind, people are consistently winning on 4-5 minutes on 3 stocks with little-no practice. It's only going to get faster.

I disagree that 4 stocks is bad. 4 stocks allows you to make a mistake and come back from it much more easily than a 3 stock. No one is safe from making mistakes regardless of skill level. Everyone messes up sometimes. The type of matchup you described is why there is a time-limit. Most matches don't go that long anyways.

But yeah, your right about Brawl's speed. As people get better the stocks will probably go faster. You can tell just by watching the videos that there is room for improvement in edge guarding. Keep in mind that the game is new, so people are still learning. And the fact that the new engine and characters mean strategy rethinks of how to edge guard properly in certain situations.

What were seeing right now is basically people recovering until they get hit with something that is a guranteed KO off the sides/top. As people get better we'll see a lot more KOs via good edgeplay. Its just that recovery has been made so much easier in Brawl, that its gonna take time and practice. It's only been a week, the speed at which people already are getting good is pretty darn fast for any game.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Um seriously where does it say all the technical stuff will be taken out?

it shows it in every video, there are no returning techs such as l-cancel, wavedash, and shffl. just go to the general brawl discussion if you don't believe

Top Bottom