• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Brawl outsell Halo 3 ?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
It'll take a while, but Brawl should outsell Halo 3. I mean jeez, the Wii has bloody outsold the Xbox 360!

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
Nice sources. I think it will indefinitly outsell Halo 3. IMO, people still play/like Halo 2 more than Halo 3. Even online.

NESJake

Smash Apprentice
Well... logically, there have been more Wii's sold. Both titles are a must-have for their respective consoles. I believe if there is more awareness provided (ADVERTISING), Super Smash Bros. Brawl would be able to pull it off. I remember when Halo 3 was coming out, I couldn't step out of my door or browse the internet without seeing master chief holding a can of Moutain Dew.

PeteBeast

Smash Apprentice
I think it will, my reasons being:

1. The Wii owner amount exceeds by the millions the 360 owners.

2. Unlike Halo 3, while being a great game, Brawl will not dissapoint its fans with just being a "Halo 2 with better graphics". We can EASILY seethis is not the case with Brawl as being "Melee 2.0".

3. The game is appealable to ANYONE, not just hardcore gamers intrested in FPS's.

4. Melee was the best selling game on the GC along with Double Dash (don't know why...) and it will probably repeat its history again on the Wii.

5. It has characters that are from 3rd party developers, making it more appealing to those gamers who wanted guys like Sonic in the game (I for one have 2 friends who will BUY a Wii ADN get Brawl just because Sonic is in the game).

those are just my thoughts and opinions.

aznhomieboi1689

Smash Cadet

2. Unlike Halo 3, while being a great game, Brawl will not dissapoint its fans with just being a "Halo 2 with better graphics". We can EASILY seethis is not the case with Brawl as being "Melee 2.0".

3. The game is appealable to ANYONE, not just hardcore gamers intrested in FPS's.

4. Melee was the best selling game on the GC along with Double Dash (don't know why...) and it will probably repeat its history again on the Wii.

5. It has characters that are from 3rd party developers, making it more appealing to those gamers who wanted guys like Sonic in the game (I for one have 2 friends who will BUY a Wii ADN get Brawl just because Sonic is in the game).

those are just my thoughts and opinions.
But isnt Brawl just as appealing to only Nintendo fans?

HipsterKid

Smash Ace
But isnt Brawl just as appealing to only Nintendo fans?
Yes, but if you think about it, the Wii itself has a lot of appeal to outside gamers just because of it's technology. Especially in the younger crowd who become obsessed with the technology of it.

Or, at least that's what I think. I really don't know if it will outsell or not. I'm hoping for it though. :]

mario brawler

Smash Journeyman
Playing Brawl until I have a seizure,nah im kiddin
I think it will outsell HALO ,I mean if you think about it HALO 3 is the MUST own game for the 360,and BRAWL is the MUST own game for the wii,considering there are a bunch more wii's than 360's sold more brawl copies will sell,I do however do not think BRAWL will out sell until some time passes for the game to get it's rep up,comercials will help,and if im not mistaken that's the main reason for brawl's update for hype,and from what I see HALO 3 was'nt all it was hyped up to be I hear alot of people prefered HALO 2,and it did'nt get the perfect ten many people expected while FAMITSU already gave brawl 40/40 I can see brawl headin for a 10/10,that delay of Dec.10 was'nt for nothin you know

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
i thinks it already has.
you win this thread.

but ya, everyone I know that wants smash (which = most people if not all who know what a Wii is), has already preordered it, or plans on buying it as soon as humanly possible. and we havnt seen even half the game yet!
plus the whole Wii too Xbox 360 ratio...
famitsu's 40/40 rateing (epic)...
brawl's appeal radius and world wide interest...

ya brawl will destroy halo 3, I am willing to bet money on it.

Ijuka

Smash Ace
Uhh, if I can remember correctly, SSBB has been the most waited game in every single game forum and game site for over a year and Wii is the most popular 3rd generation console.. How could it not sell more? I don't get it.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
just to toss something out there, all Halos have outsold the past SSB games.

it isn't much but I just want that out there. personally, I still think Brawl will outsell Halo in a long run. I could be wrong, though.

Octane

Smash Rookie
The sales will probably be pretty strong. There are more Wii's sold than Xbox360, but a lot of people who own Wii's aren't exactly hardcore, and are just casual gamers who might not buy this game. The sales in Asia and Europe will probably be better, but not in America.

TheMuffinMan0311

Smash Apprentice
Just in case, its already approaching the halo 3 sales.

Brawl is gonna prove you wrong
Brawl hasn't been released yet, how is it "approaching" Halo 3's sales? Halo 3 has ALREADY outsold Melee's lifetime sales of 7 million units, as of January Halo 3 has sold 8 million units, 4 months after it's release

Halo only has American business. Brawl has the world
Halo 3 has America and Europe, even the Japanese know that Japan is a shrinking market and NA/PAL regions are growing exponentially, hence why leading japanese developers are looking for western studios to appeal to the larger market

IMO, people still play/like Halo 2 more than Halo 3. Even online.
Number of people on Halo 2 in the past 24 hours: 35,000
Number of people on Halo 3 in the past 25 hours: 1,037,486

Matches logged in Halo 2 in the past 24 hours: 78,813.
Matches logged in Halo 3 in the past 24 hours: 3,054,564

That is assuming that everyone who has a Wii will buy Brawl, and everyone who has a 360 will buy Halo?

The PS2 exceeded the Xbox and Gamecube by 80 million units, yet there are 4 Gamecube and Xbox games amongst the top 10 selling titles of last generation.

Not to mention that, unfortunately, the hardcore Nintendo audience isn't the majority of Wii owners.

LMAO, what? Halo 3 added improvements in online capabilities by leaps and bounds, Halo 3 set the standard for what console online gaming SHOULD be. Forge, Custom games, automatic match recordings that you can view at any time using Theater mode, Screenshots, 4-player campaign co-op over Xbox live, an expansive Online website community cataloging your the above features and recording all you stats, etc.

Brawl is doing something similar, allowing for match recordings (though not as good as Halo's), screenshots (again, not as good), customized levels (not as good), online play (not as good), etc.

Brawl is Melee's Halo 3, except...not as big of a step forward
Brawl is "appealable" to beat-em-up fans and Nintendo fans

Halo 3 is "appealable" to FPS fans and Sci-Fi fans, and Microsoft fans

They're both "appealable" to their target audience

Halo 1 and Halo 2 outsold Melee on the Gamecube, and they too were the highest selling games on their platforms. Halo 3 has already outsold almost every top selling game of last generation besides Grand Theft Auto and Gran Turismo

absolutely

Japan is like 40% of the smash sales, as seen with Melee.
The thing is, Nintendo's Japan audience isn't buying hardcore games any more. Mario Galaxy? Flopped. No more Heroes? Massive Flop. Metroid Prime 3? Flop. on and on and on Nintendo's hardcore line-up isn't selling in Japan, the things Japan are buying is Brain Age and Wiifit

PeteBeast

Smash Apprentice
That is assuming that everyone who has a Wii will buy Brawl, and everyone who has a 360 will buy Halo?

The PS2 exceeded the Xbox and Gamecube by 80 million units, yet there are 4 Gamecube and Xbox games amongst the top 10 selling titles of last generation.

Not to mention that, unfortunately, the hardcore Nintendo audience isn't the majority of Wii owners.
Exactly, opposed to 6 titles that are on the PS2 ALONE:

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas- 14.88 million
Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec- 14.87 million
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City- 14.20 million
Grand Theft Auto 3- 11.60 million
Gran Turismo 4- 8.79 million
Final Fantasy X- 7.95 million

^The higehst sold on the Xbox was Halo 2 with 8.45 million units sold and Double Dash with 6.60million sold. There are more Xbox owners than GC owners, a difference of around 3million.

LMAO, what? Halo 3 added improvements in online capabilities by leaps and bounds, Halo 3 set the standard for what console online gaming SHOULD be. Forge, Custom games, automatic match recordings that you can view at any time using Theater mode, Screenshots, 4-player campaign co-op over Xbox live, an expansive Online website community cataloging your the above features and recording all you stats, etc.

Brawl is doing something similar, allowing for match recordings (though not as good as Halo's), screenshots (again, not as good), customized levels (not as good), online play (not as good), etc.

I have an Xbox and a 360. I have Halo, Halo 2 and Halo 3. The difference in gameplay is minimum, nto talkign about it phisically. Its nice to have the ability to watch yourself fight through different angles after each match, sure. But online wise there is no difference. You can name pretty much anything that was made different from Halo 2 and Halo 3, but when the time is given and you need to compare the two, the only difference is graphics and added weapons. Simple.

Brawl is appealable to anyone from teens to adults, maybe not the greandma and grandpa who have a Wii, but that isn't the major demographics of the Wii owners. teens and adults are.

Halo 1 and Halo 2 outsold Melee on the Gamecube, and they too were the highest selling games on their platforms. Halo 3 has already outsold almost every top selling game of last generation besides Grand Theft Auto and Gran Turismo
The Xbox owners exceed the GC owners.

mario brawler

Smash Journeyman
Playing Brawl until I have a seizure,nah im kiddin
all I can say to the above post is BRAVO,I could not have said it better myself infact I prabably would of said it worse XD),but as too the wii/360 ratio about "That is assuming that everyone who has a Wii will buy Brawl, and everyone who has a 360 will buy Halo?" ugh for the majority DUH,would you not agree halo 3=must buy game for 360 and Brawl=must buy game for wii,and yes brawl is for everyone,it's a beat em' up,side scroller,has minigames ect.(even some few 1st person shooter sequances :D),in the long run brawl will out sell halo 3 unless every halo fanboy goes out and buy's a 2nd copy for no reason :laugh:

TheMuffinMan0311

Smash Apprentice
Exactly, opposed to 6 titles that are on the PS2 ALONE:

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas- 14.88 million
Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec- 14.87 million
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City- 14.20 million
Grand Theft Auto 3- 11.60 million
Gran Turismo 4- 8.79 million
Final Fantasy X- 7.95 million

^The higehst sold on the Xbox was Halo 2 with 8.45 million units sold and Double Dash with 6.60million sold. There are more Xbox owners than GC owners, a difference of around 3million.
You seemed to have missed the point, if the install base was such a huge factor in game sales, how can the PS2 with an install base 80 million people larger than the Xbox and Gamecube have Gamecube and Xbox games even get near the top selling of last generation?

The answer is that install base isn't a huge factor, the fact that the Wii has 2 million more people than the Xbox 360 does not suddenly give Brawl more potential to outsell Halo 3, especially considering an 80 million units lead of the PS2 didn't seem to deter several Gamecube and Xbox titles making it into the list of best selling video games of last generation

I have an Xbox and a 360. I have Halo, Halo 2 and Halo 3. The difference in gameplay is minimum, nto talkign about it phisically. Its nice to have the ability to watch yourself fight through different angles after each match, sure. But online wise there is no difference. You can name pretty much anything that was made different from Halo 2 and Halo 3, but when the time is given and you need to compare the two, the only difference is graphics and added weapons. Simple.
Hold on, let me turn this argument around for you in respect to Brawl:

"I have a Gamecube and a Wii. I have Melee, and looking forward to Brawl. The difference in gameplay is minimum, not talking about it physically. Its nice to have the ability to watch yourself fight through different angles after each match, sure. But online wise there is no difference. You can name pretty much anything that was made different from Melee and Brawl, but when the time is given and you need to compare the two, the only difference is graphics and added items and stages. Simple."

The progression from Halo 2 to Halo 3 is the same progression from Melee to Brawl, the difference is that you're a SSB fan so since you have SSB up on a pedestal you have the notion that the differences in Brawl are somehow more significant than what you belittle as differences between halo 2 and 3

Brawl is appealable to anyone from teens to adults, maybe not the greandma and grandpa who have a Wii, but that isn't the major demographics of the Wii owners. teens and adults are.
Turning this around once again:

"Halo 3 is appealable to anyone from teens to adults, maybe not the greandma and grandpa who don't have a 360, but that isn't the major demographics of the 360 owners. teens and adults are."

See what I did there? As a SSB fan you have the notion that somehow the SSb demographic is of a higher calibur than that of Halo 3's, or that somehow Halo 3 isn't as big as it really is, when there is no difference between the two. Halo 3 sells to Teens and Adults: Shooter fans, and Microsoft junkies. Brawl sells to Teens and Adults: Beat Em Up fans, and Nintendo junkies.

The Xbox owners exceed the GC owners.
See point made above

lookatthatbaconsizzle

Smash Journeyman
Halo 3 was a HUGE letdown. The single player campaign was horrible, with just "run here and kill this" objectives. It was horrible. Also, the stage editor was not that great. Halo 3 got worse reviews than the game that trumped it. Call of Duty 4. Super Smash will be much better than both of these, so will sell more... hopefully.

Come on... it's Smash Brothers. They always sell CRAPLOADS of copies.

jay~B

Smash Journeyman
Brawl hasn't been released yet, how is it "approaching" Halo 3's sales? Halo 3 has ALREADY outsold Melee's lifetime sales of 7 million units, as of January Halo 3 has sold 8 million units, 4 months after it's release

First of all let me tell you that it is a bad idea to look back to the past and compare melee to brawl

Brawl doesn't have to come out to approach halo 3's sales, I meant in pre-0ordering, and actually the hardcore nintendo audience is almost all the wii-owners, thousands of people here bought their wii's just for brawl. How is brawl not as good as halo 3? Online play would've made melee KILL all the halo's.

Not as big of a step forward?!! Have you not noticed that Sonic, the most wanted character for brawl of all time is already in. Wi-fi makes brawl already the best wii game and after it comes out, the best-selling wii game. Just let me say that i know halofans like you in real life and he actually was pretty disappointed with halo 3, he beat the campaign in a DAY, yes and even he said that it was basically another FPS, made for the ending of halo and nothing else.

TheMuffinMan0311

Smash Apprentice
Brawl doesn't have to come out to approach halo 3's sales, I meant in pre-0ordering, and actually the hardcore nintendo audience is almost all the wii-owners, thousands of people here bought their wii's just for brawl. How is brawl not as good as halo 3? Online play would've made melee KILL all the halo's.

Not as big of a step forward?!! Have you not noticed that Sonic, the most wanted character for brawl of all time is already in. Wi-fi makes brawl already the best wii game and after it comes out, the best-selling wii game. Just let me say that i know halofans like you in real life and he actually was pretty disappointed with halo 3, he beat the campaign in a DAY, yes and even he said that it was basically another FPS, made for the ending of halo and nothing else.
Well for starters, pre-orders aren't necessarily a reflection of anything. For one, Mario Galaxy in Japan had over 1 million preorders, but since it's release it has still yet to reach those numbers, it's first week was 250,000-300,000 units or so

And on the original note, where are the figures of Brawl's preorder numbers, and how have they surpassed Halo 3's in comparison?

I don't deny that thousands and even hundreds of thousands of people bought Wii's for Brawl, but that doesn't mean that Brawl can touch Halo 3. In a similar sense, thousands and hundreds of thousands of people bought a 360 for Halo 3

And again, this thread is a question of sales, not a question of the quality of the game. In the opinion of this community will Brawl be an absolutely phenomenal game? Of course. Is that the question asked in this thread? No. The question is whether Brawl can outsell Halo 3, which no matter how much we love Smash, Halo 3 is the biggest thing out there.

Like I said, if you belittle what Halo 3 did to improve on Halo 2, then I don't see how you can turn around and look at Brawl's improvements on Melee and call them significant. Are they significant? Yes, for both games they were significant improvements. But to belittle one is to belittle both

I'm not a fan of Halo, I don't even own a copy of Halo nor do I have a 360 (I do have an original Xbox after my Gamecube initially broke since I was waiting anxiously for Fable, lol), I still have an N64 hooked up to my TV next to my Wii, but that doesn't mean I'm blinded by my love for Nintendo that I can't see that there's nothing on the horizon that can touch Halo 3's sales

jay~B

Smash Journeyman
Well for starters, pre-orders aren't necessarily a reflection of anything. For one, Mario Galaxy in Japan had over 1 million preorders, but since it's release it has still yet to reach those numbers, it's first week was 250,000-300,000 units or so

And on the original note, where are the figures of Brawl's preorder numbers, and how have they surpassed Halo 3's in comparison?

I don't deny that thousands and even hundreds of thousands of people bought Wii's for Brawl, but that doesn't mean that Brawl can touch Halo 3. In a similar sense, thousands and hundreds of thousands of people bought a 360 for Halo 3

And again, this thread is a question of sales, not a question of the quality of the game. In the opinion of this community will Brawl be an absolutely phenomenal game? Of course. Is that the question asked in this thread? No. The question is whether Brawl can outsell Halo 3, which no matter how much we love Smash, Halo 3 is the biggest thing out there.

Like I said, if you belittle what Halo 3 did to improve on Halo 2, then I don't see how you can turn around and look at Brawl's improvements on Melee and call them significant. Are they significant? Yes, for both games they were significant improvements. But to belittle one is to belittle both

I'm not a fan of Halo, I don't even own a copy of Halo nor do I have a 360 (I do have an original Xbox after my Gamecube initially broke since I was waiting anxiously for Fable, lol), I still have an N64 hooked up to my TV next to my Wii, but that doesn't mean I'm blinded by my love for Nintendo that I can't see that there's nothing on the horizon that can touch Halo 3's sales
Sales have a lot to do with the quality of the game, if the game sucks no one buys it but if it is like brawl then people like us will wait for it anxiously to own a copy

Top Bottom