• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Brawl outsell Halo 3 ?

Smash Apprentice
Also, it's a tricky thing to project anyway.

If you're talking American sales, Brawl has a lot of catching up to do.

If you're talking world, it's a lot more complicated.

Halo 3 didn't sell amazingly in Japan. Brawl will. No doubt about that.

So, then, it's just a matter of how much Japan actually sells.

Zycor

Smash Apprentice
Didn't Halo 3 have to be replaced if they came in the metal case thing they had at launch? I bet that adds to the numbers. They never count how many get taken back and what not. *coughWiiplaycough*

e319

Smash Apprentice
Halo has tons of hype, but the thing about ssbros is that it STAYS fun, im still playing melee and that thing came out a good 7 years ago. It's true though, who cares? Brawl will still be the Wii's bestseller, and the Wii's doing the best worldwide, i think... OH! Also you should remember that brawl has sonic and snake, two game legends AND online play

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
I believe it will, the Wii to 360 ratio is in Wiis favor. Though many people that have the Wii aren't gamers and a majority of the 360 owners have Halo 3.

Hmm...

-Onyx

Zellsfalco

Smash Apprentice
first of all, 360 is not as popular worldwide as the wii is or the smash series. another point, halo is only suitable for a limited amount of audiences or gamers as halo 3 was mature. the wii is more or less a family system. assuming that, Brawl does have the potential of breaking the record but really i dont think it is a big deal.

Edit: Japan will definitely have to be the MVP of selling in this case

e319

Smash Apprentice
Oh! And by the way HOLY CRUD! That third link is the most Wii racist thing i've ever seen! You need to get sources that report the facts WORLD WIDE not sources that just show the first day's sales in america and go HA! IN YOUR FACE WII!

(That site really ticked me off in case you didn't notice)

Bendario

Smash Apprentice
Yes, I'm calling you a fanboy. I also said, if you would read my post, that there is nothing wrong with being a Nintendo fanboy when it comes to Brawl, as that makes complete sense.

That's your opinion. It's totally irrelevant to the fact that Halo 3 sells, and has sold. 5 million copies worldwide is nothing to sneeze at, seeing as that's 1/3 of the 360 itself's total worldwide system sales.

Unless you're going to tell me that 2/3 of worldwide Wii owners are going to buy Brawl? It's going to sell, certainly, but I somehow highly doubt it'll get those kind of numbers.

Halo 3 sold 5 million copies worldwide. Estimated in the first two weeks after launch. Brawl can't pray to match that kind of hype.

Oh, you!
lulz, that crazy fail snail. He's awesome.

So tell me this Mr. One-Third (mind if I give you this nickname? No offense intended by it.), if the Wii has officially outsold the 360, then wouldn't 1/3 of the Wii sales be outselling 1/3 of the 360 sales? Who needs to sell 2/3? That's crazy!

I happen to know many people who have claimed that they will be buying a Wii as soon as Brawl comes out, and that tells me that, while not near as hyped as Halo 3, SSBB will sell more over the years than Halo 3 will. Melee and Halo 2 were both games thatmost people who owned the respective system had, whether they bought it early or just befor the next system came out. Both games were mentioned in movies and on TV, and both had monumental sales.

Oh, and to everyone that has this strange idea that Halo 3 is the top selling game in the world, you really don't know how wrong you are. SUPER MARIO BROS. - 42,300,000 registered copies sold approximately.
Do the Mario *****. ;P

=Fiercedeity=

Smash Cadet
first of all, 360 is not as popular worldwide as the wii is or the smash series. another point, halo is only suitable for a limited amount of audiences or gamers as halo 3 was mature. the wii is more or less a family system. assuming that, Brawl does have the potential of breaking the record but really i dont think it is a big deal.

Good point indeed really ^ and he should also know that many japanese people despise the 360 cause of the many problem it has and sells so much less and if you have 1/3 of halo copies sold in america you would have about less then that in japan so worldwide smash can outsell halo and it will.....

Magnacor

Smash Ace

lol, no one pays any attention to the ratings. I've only met one person who coudn't play M games, but the parents were so strict he couldn't play T games either. Brawl will be rated T so that won't help it's sales topple Halo's. Actually, since the Wii's a family system there are going to be more Wii owners with over protective parents that won't let them get T-rated games. Oh and Bendario, all of the people you quoted are absolutely right. The video game industry is practically dominated by people who only play shooters and sports games, because "all of Nintendo's games are gay." (Yes, someone actually said that to me today.)

kurokaito

Smash Cadet
I don't care if it sells more or not, I just want a lot of people playing it, a huge community, it's a good game, and people don't say things like "SSBB sucks" or "SSBB didn't even get close to Halo 3! PHAIL!"

MAST3R

Smash Apprentice
Sadly, I don't think that it will.. It will still be a better game imo.

Lecto2007

Smash Lord
I mean Master chief helmets, On mountain dew bottles seriously super smash bros. brawl has not chance. think about it halo 3 copies are being bought as we speak, and brawl hasnt even been released yet.

Lord SeBz

Smash Journeyman
I mean Master chief helmets, On mountain dew bottles seriously super smash bros. brawl has not chance. think about it halo 3 copies are being bought as we speak, and brawl hasnt even been released yet.
Well, Xbox360 came a year b4 wii... and wii has sold nearly as much as the 360, if not more.

Smash Apprentice
Sounds similar to the 360 in comparison to the Wii to me...

And I don't think as many copies of Halo 3 are selling as you think.

As I said, the age of Halo is kinda dead.

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
no way in hell....lmao...no! brawl maybe a very strong game...but to take down the incredible hype machine of halo thats still going after its been out for 3 months...unlikely..

as an avid fan and lvl 45 Halo 3 player and a very rabid smash fan, i strongly doubt smash doing that. when u think about who buys smash (except for us of course) it's parents that purchase it for their kids.

halo ahs a very big differnce,...thwey consumer base is older ppl who have jobs of their own that can buy the games themselves....so in short....

the pre order numbers for brawl are weak so far ( i work at gamestop) and we have to sell it hard...

halo3 sold itself

good luck

jay~B

Smash Journeyman
Oh my goodness thats so true.
If you think looking back in time is good then think about this, you say that brawl is as succesful as melee(according to your opinion) We all know that even though it wasn't about the sales, we still loved melee and still do(I know I do) Halo 2 on the other hand was about the online play and the continuation of the story, in other words another FPS which you would get bored of easily but I have to say that melee had a different type of success- YOU NEVER GET BORED! I still play it even though like some of you halofans might say ''It has the worst graphics'' It was never just a little hype like halo 3 which slowly died out as time went on because the story mode sucked or because your too good for everybody online and kick too much a$$. melee was about the gameplay and I'm sorry but I will always play it whether you like it or not, Try to tell me you don't play melee and i will believe you, just try to tell me that melee sucks

You know you can't say it, thats why i believe in brawl beating halo 3, because it might not have as much hype but imagine brawl going on as much as melee did? With all its new features and all, It could beat halo 3 over a short period of time, lets say by a month and a half it sells as much as halo 3 does and it keeps going and going because you won't just beat SSE and think it sucked or you won't stop playing online because of how fun it is, the gameplay is better. People bought halo 3 because they wanted to find out the end of the story but after they beat it probably thought it was just another FPS game. Sure halo 3 might have other features like online and transforming your stage to play in but whenever i turned my gc on, I never ever thought anything bad about melee, and i never have. So comparing melee to brawl is a bad idea, melee was great and I still play but just look around at all the people waiting for brawl. With brawls new SSE and online play it might just never stop.

Lecto2007

Smash Lord
HELL NO i play melee all the time matter of fact i plan to play it today, but because a game got boring it doesnt refund the sales once you've bought it that statistic already counts. Halo 3 story sucked but people preordered around the world before they knew that and bought it the moment it came out.

Because the storyline sucked it didnt stop people from buying it, because people love online play more than anything else it didnt stop people from buying it, thats why its the top selling video game of all time.

iluvnintendo1983

Smash Journeyman
Halo 3 was on national news, the front page of newspapers, had full coverage on Spike TV and G4, Master Chief was on soda cans, there were 3 versions of Halo 3 released (4 if you count the one that was packaged in with the Master Chief colored Xbox 360), and on and on. The launch of Halo 3 was treated more like the launch of a new video game system then just a single game. There is no way Smash Bros. Brawl will be able to compete with that. Although, I will still like it better then Halo 3. Don't get me wrong, I really liked Halo 3...but I am definitley not a "Halo Fanboy". I beat the campaign, played a few hundred matches on Xbox live against friends and strangers...then moved onto the next game. I just got tired of it. However, I know I won't get tired of Brawl nearly as easily. I mean, I still pick up Melee and play it with friends all the time, and I've had it since it was released in 2001.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
No because by the time Brawl hits we'll be in world war 3 and no one will give a dam about games anymore.

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
If you think looking back in time is good then think about this, you say that brawl is as succesful as melee(according to your opinion) We all know that even though it wasn't about the sales, we still loved melee and still do(I know I do) Halo 2 on the other hand was about the online play and the continuation of the story, in other words another FPS which you would get bored of easily but I have to say that melee had a different type of success- YOU NEVER GET BORED! I still play it even though like some of you halofans might say ''It has the worst graphics'' It was never just a little hype like halo 3 which slowly died out as time went on because the story mode sucked or because your too good for everybody online and kick too much a$$. melee was about the gameplay and I'm sorry but I will always play it whether you like it or not, Try to tell me you don't play melee and i will believe you, just try to tell me that melee sucks

You know you can't say it, thats why i believe in brawl beating halo 3, because it might not have as much hype but imagine brawl going on as much as melee did? With all its new features and all, It could beat halo 3 over a short period of time, lets say by a month and a half it sells as much as halo 3 does and it keeps going and going because you won't just beat SSE and think it sucked or you won't stop playing online because of how fun it is, the gameplay is better. People bought halo 3 because they wanted to find out the end of the story but after they beat it probably thought it was just another FPS game. Sure halo 3 might have other features like online and transforming your stage to play in but whenever i turned my gc on, I never ever thought anything bad about melee, and i never have. So comparing melee to brawl is a bad idea, melee was great and I still play but just look around at all the people waiting for brawl. With brawls new SSE and online play it might just never stop.
Why does everyone think halo 3 gets boring?

Ranked online play.
Freeform Match Playback.
Real-time map editing.
Custom game online play.
Several matchmaking playlists.
Co-op campaign over the internet
Competitive co-op campaign over the internet

Halo 3 does not get boring. Stop using that as an argument.

Lecto2007

Smash Lord

Ranked online play.
Freeform Match Playback.
Real-time map editing.
Custom game online play.

I know i still play halo 3 who said its boring you go online kick noobs butt then over again with friends, no two games are ever the same.
I support brawl all the way but theres no chance that it can compete against halo 3

gnosis

Smash Lord

Ranked online play.
Freeform Match Playback.
Real-time map editing.
Custom game online play.

It's not a good argument, but Halo 3 does indeed get boring.

I'm bored of it, for one.

Titan05

Smash Journeyman
IT won't in the United States but Brawl will **** Halo 3 in Japan. Overall... It all depends.

Lecto2007

Smash Lord
Lets compare the build up shall we.
All 360 owners probably bought halo 3, Not to count also with the revenue of halo 3 products such as novels, Helmets and other merchandise, halo 3 was all over mountain dew bottles and on billboards everywhere.
Now i dont know about you but Brawl cant compete with something like that, its just not possible.

Why do the sales statistics matter? It's not as if you people are sales representatives for the companies. Both of the games are great. Brawl will sell well in its represented demographic; The casual mainstream gamer. Just as Halo 3 sold well in its field; The international media. The games will both do well. You can't just compare the two because they appeal to completely opposite demographics. Let's just have fun with the game. ^^

Top Bottom