• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Brawl outsell Halo 3 ?

jay~B

Smash Journeyman
Remember how crazy it was when halo 3 came out, well do you think brawl will beat this record? I seriously think that it will because brawl is selling lots of their copies online by pre-ordering and by the time it comes out smash maniacs all over the world will buy it, i posted some sources here on how much copies halo 3 sold (NOTE: This does not mean i like halo 3 better, Brawl is the best game ever made)

*Edit*- People keep saying this throughout the thread, No I am not comparing their game genre's, i am comparing their sales.

Source 1: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_3
Source 2: http://www.joystiq.com/2007/09/28/gamedaily-estimates-halo-3-sold-2-48-mil-units-day-one/
Source 3: http://gamer.blorge.com/2007/10/03/...-microsofts-xbox-360-to-outsell-nintendo-wii/

*Another Edit*- If anybody can find any info on Brawl's expected sales it would be great, please pm me when you do

*And Another Edit*- Recently Brawl Central and wikipedia stated that brawl recieved a perfect score on the japanese magazine Famitzu, Do you think that this could inflict the sales? Brawl has also recieved perfect scores from Nintendo Power and Thunderbolt, and so far brawl has sold 1.08 million copies (as of Feb. 11)

Source 4: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famitsu
Source 5: http://www.brawlcentral.com/
Source 6: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSBB

Thank you

BRAWL CAN BEAT THE RECORD!!!

Reception:
Reviews

Famitsu -40/40
Nintendo Power -10/10
Thunderbolt -10/10

Comments:
Thunderbolt- Brawl is easily the most fun I’ve had on a Wii, and could be the most fun I’ve had with a game in ages. It’s just that good. There is just so much to do, and so many different and refreshing things added that it would be a crime not to at least take a look.

Nintendo Power- It doesn't get any better than this.

Gameplayer- It’s obvious that developer Game Arts have put a painstaking amount of effort into creating this game and every time we play it we’re discovering new Nintendo references which bring back a rush of nostalgia. Brawl’s chaotic multiplayer sessions are some of the best to be had on the system, plus there are plenty of challenges and modes to amuse those ‘friend-impaired’ individuals out there as well. It’s a no-brainer, every serious Nintendo fan out there should score themselves a copy of this game, invite some friends/victims around, and have a smashing good time.

About Halo 3:

Clearly an amazing FPS worthy of great reviews, which it recieved by the way, but will brawl be able to surpass one of the best games ever made? We will have to wait and see!

Reception:
Reviews

1UP.com - 10/10
Edge -10/10
Eurogamer -10/10
Famitsu -37/40
Game informer -9.75/10
Gamespot -9.5/10
IGN -9.5/10
Official Xbox Magazine - 10/10

Notice how Famitsu rates Halo 3 37/40 while it gives brawl a perfect score, looks like we have the lead in one of the critics so far!

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
I agree, but not right away. With each month, Brawl will get closer and closer, Halo fans probably all bought Halo 3 (don't flame me, but that's what it seems like) right away, while Brawl fans will proliferate.

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
Does it matter? They're not competing. We shouldn't be competing. Trying to hold superiority over an entirely different successful series on another console is silly.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Brawl will not sell half of what Halo 3 did. End topic.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
nah the hype meter is not high enough.
brawl has underground hype like
SWF. swf is very popular dont get me wrong.
Nsider2
GF. ect

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
It could but there are so many halo fanboys that its a small chance, at least at first. overall if you see a graph that shows the next year or two brawl will probably gradually climb above halo 3

Brawl will still be a sh_tload better no matter how many copy's it sells.
________
the volcano vaporizer

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
Brawl will never climb over Halo. Don't be ridiculous.

Your blatantly biased opinions that Brawl is a better game don't mean anything. People will still buy Halo 3, and people will continue buying and playing Halo 3, your opinions on it be ****ed. Brawl doesn't have the same hype or appeal, and it's silly to think the only reason people bought Halo 3 was because of fanboyism.

Most of Brawl's fanbase are Nintendo fanboys, which makes perfect sense. It's a game that celebrates Nintendo history. Halo fanboys, people who enjoy Halo, and people who have heard of Halo far, far outnumber the people that can say the same of Brawl.

Mattnumbers

Smash Master

Your blatantly biased opinions that Brawl is a better game don't mean anything. People will still buy Halo 3, and people will continue buying and playing Halo 3, your opinions on it be ****ed. Brawl doesn't have the same hype or appeal, and it's silly to think the only reason people bought Halo 3 was because of fanboyism.

Most of Brawl's fanbase are Nintendo fanboys, which makes perfect sense. It's a game that celebrates Nintendo history. Halo fanboys, people who enjoy Halo, and people who have heard of Halo far, far outnumber the people that can say the same of Brawl.
your calling ME a fanboy??

I played halo 3 co-op, beat it on heroic, beat the first 4 levels on legendary. I played multiplayer all night. and guess what? I'm bored of it. Its not that great of a game, and only deserves about an 8.75. Iv had melee since it came out and I'm STILL not bored of it.

yes it sold a lot, but thats because there are so many halo fanboys in America. when brawl comes out it will sell great all around the world, and not just in America.
________
Kawasaki ZL1000A

Sieged Eagle

Smash Cadet
In a small, unobstrusive office hidden beneath Len
Don't sound victory yet child. When Super Mario Galaxy came out on Japan the first day it didn't sell millions of copies on the first date. It took about 2 more days for the game to take strength over there, which by that time, it already sold those millions of copies there. Who knows, Brawl might end up being more successful than any other game next year and sell millions of copies on the first date or wait some days for it to gain stregth like in Japan. Although the 10th of February falls on Sunday, so I bet a lot of people will skip church just to get Brawl on launch date.

legendofme

Smash Journeyman
Meh. They will both sell lovely. But I dont know man. Halo sold like a box office movie. So I doubt Brawl is that much hype. I think there are more halo fanboys than any other game series. Seriously...

ron561

Smash Journeyman
1.Halo 3 will still have sold more copies than SSBB
2.Does it really matter?Two completely different games
3.Who cares how much it sells?As long as we have a good game

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
Yes, I'm calling you a fanboy. I also said, if you would read my post, that there is nothing wrong with being a Nintendo fanboy when it comes to Brawl, as that makes complete sense.

I played halo 3 co-op, beat it on heroic, beat the first 4 levels on legendary. I played multiplayer all night. and guess what? I'm bored of it. Its not that great of a game, and only deserves about an 8.75. Iv had melee since it came out and I'm STILL not bored of it.
That's your opinion. It's totally irrelevant to the fact that Halo 3 sells, and has sold. 5 million copies worldwide is nothing to sneeze at, seeing as that's 1/3 of the 360 itself's total worldwide system sales.

Unless you're going to tell me that 2/3 of worldwide Wii owners are going to buy Brawl? It's going to sell, certainly, but I somehow highly doubt it'll get those kind of numbers.

yes it sold a lot, but thats because there are so many halo fanboys in America. when brawl comes out it will sell great all around the world, and not just in America.
Halo 3 sold 5 million copies worldwide. Estimated in the first two weeks after launch. Brawl can't pray to match that kind of hype.

Oh, you!

Tobi-

Smash Ace
Yes, I'm calling you a fanboy. I also said, if you would read my post, that there is nothing wrong with being a Nintendo fanboy when it comes to Brawl, as that makes complete sense.

That's your opinion. It's totally irrelevant to the fact that Halo 3 sells, and has sold. 5 million copies worldwide is nothing to sneeze at, seeing as that's 1/3 of the 360 itself's total worldwide system sales.

Unless you're going to tell me that 2/3 of worldwide Wii owners are going to buy Brawl? It's going to sell, certainly, but I somehow highly doubt it'll get those kind of numbers.

Halo 3 sold 5 million copies worldwide. Estimated in the first two weeks after launch. Brawl can't pray to match that kind of hype.

Oh, you!
Halo 3 was pretty much the main iconic game for xbox. When you think of xbox, you think of halo.

Brawl will be the main game for wii. considering the official website, e for all, soon to be commercials, and no other game is coming out that month, it will sell, very high.

I'm sure it will be between 1million or maybe even higher then 5 million. Everyone who has a wii will probably be getting brawl, but then again everyone who has xbox 360 were getting halo 3.

kinda funny. a somewhat same repeat of this situation happened at gamefaq's character battle. Everyone thought zelda's fanbase was too much, and would win again in votes, but he lost by 7,000 votes to L-block.

It isn't impossible.

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
1/3 of 360 owners got Halo 3. The 360 has sold 15 million copies. The Wii has sold about 15 million copies. Halo 3 has sold 5 million copies.

That's why I said "Unless you're going to tell me 2/3 of worldwide Wii owners are going to buy Brawl?" It didn't happen with Halo 3, a game that was being hyped much more than Brawl is.

Teh Lightning

Smash Rookie

I you bored of H3 that quickly, than you are obviously not a hardcore Halo player, someone who plays FPS that much, or you are someone who doesn't play XBL. If you did, you wouldn't be bored. In fact I would be playing H3 right now if my bro wasn't using my 360.

*To everyone else*
I don't believe that anyone could possibly compare the two games. They are two different types, and two different consoles.

There may be more Halo players in America, but the Wii has been on the downside since it released. You can go to almost any Gamestop, Wal-Mart or other resaler in America(and possibly the world), and you will find a waiting list for a Wii. I don't believe that it will sell as well as you say or that Halo sold so well because of Halo fanboys in America.

They are both great games and I believe that they will both sell very well. I also have no doubt that Brawl will overtime outsell Halo 3. Most everyone that wants to play H3 has already got it or will by the time Brawl releases. While I don't think Brawl will beat H3's first day sales because of the Wii shortage, will sell over a greater period of time at the same rate.

And again, you CANNOT compare Brawl/Melee to a FPS, just like you can't compare FE to an MMO-RPG just because they are both RPG's.

Stryks

Smash Hero
In america? Halo can probably win
in the world? Brawl

it doesnt matter, does it affect the way we will play the game? hell no, why compare? but anyway brawl will surpass halo3, cause halo is popular mostly in the us, and Uk, but not so much in japan, and smash is popular EVERYWHERE...

BananaNut

Smash Journeyman
2.Does it really matter?Two completely different games
3.Who cares how much it sells?As long as we have a good game
QOUTED FOR TRUTH!

and for the rest of you that try to compare the two.

Denied!

Drone 147

Smash Rookie
No.

No.

No.

You mention SSBB in a crowd of people, you may get lucky to get a response or two.

You mention Halo, you'll have 23 people crawling over you.

And that's that.

matthewmilad

Smash Journeyman
Duh

Duh, it's obvious. Yes. Halo 3 sucks. Melee was the top selling game for GCN.
I expect MUCH more from Brawl. Count on it being one of the greatest games of all time.

Oh, and another thing. Crappy games like Halo 3 only sell when they first release. For the most part, they are done with sales. Melee has sold consistently since it's release, you can still go to Wal-Mart or any other store and see it still selling at 29.99.
Yeah, Melee pwned for 7 years. Brawl will pwn just as long if not longer.

ron561

Smash Journeyman
Halo 3 sucks..?
I mean i'm not a fan of Halo,but you can't just say it sucks knowing Halo fans on this board are going to jump on you.Especially when you just say it sucks and don't explain why.

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
I'm not a fan of Halo 3 either. I don't even have a 360.

But you can't say Brawl will sell better because you think the other game sucks. That's completely ignoring the facts about sales and hype that have already been posted in this thread.

Tobi-

Smash Ace
No.

No.

No.

You mention SSBB in a crowd of people, you may get lucky to get a response or two.

And that's that.
Im agreeing with the other people here.

Who gives a flip.

Long as you buy it, and enjoy it. Sales don't determine how good a game is. Super Mario Galaxy didn't have near as much sales as Halo 3, yet it got a higher rating then Halo 3, and is considered best game for the wii right now. Brawl will be even better.

Basically, you shouldn't even care about the sales unless you are apart of making the game.

Stryks

Smash Hero
No.

No.

No.

And that's that.
I wouldnt go that far, yes maybe in america, but go to japan and the rest of the world, scream smash bros brawl and u will get a bigger reaction than those for halo 3, because ur only considering america, newflash america=/=all the world...

and whoever says halo sucks, u deserve to get hit in the balls... by a gravity hammer

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
The wii already outsold the 360... (or was that the DS and the PSP? i think both...)

But Halo and Smash is a diffrent story. all the hardcore gamers go for the 360. the Wii is much more casual. and looked down apon by Hardcore gamers because its bad graphics and not haloishness.

Smash wont outsell Halo 3. Or probably Super Mario Galaxy... maybe. I hope I can get it on Feb 10th.

Tobi-

Smash Ace
The wii already outsold the 360... (or was that the DS and the PSP? i think both...)

But Halo and Smash is a diffrent story. all the hardcore gamers go for the 360. the Wii is much more casual. and looked down apon by Hardcore gamers because its bad graphics and not haloishness.

Smash wont outsell Halo 3. Or probably Super Mario Galaxy... maybe. I hope I can get it on Feb 10th.
Nintendo Wii outsold both Xbox 360 and PS3, combined.

Nintendo DS outsold PSP, by alot.

Halo 3 can outsell Brawl all it wants. But which one do you have most fun playing?

I'm not into first person shooters, but I do like to play halo occasionally when a friend has it.

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
Because some fanboys want to have a superiority complex over other consoles, and Halo is an obvious and easy target.

NDUDE

Smash Ace
More casuals play Smash than Halo. Guess who the Wii's targeted to. This is Nintendo's best multiplayer franchise. I doubt they'll mess this up. Besides, freaking MARIO PARTY 8 is still selling well...

Popertop

Smash Champion
Of course brawl will outsell Halo 3.

Halo 3 doesn't have the worldwide fanbase that brawl will have/does have from Melee.

Just because something is hyped up doesn't mean that translates into sales.

Quality gameplay translates into sales, and that's something Nintendo and the team that made SSB, SSBM, and are making SSBB are famous for.

Tobi-

Smash Ace
Because some fanboys want to have a superiority complex over other consoles, and Halo is an obvious and easy target.
Also about the 1/3 of all xbox 360 people buying halo 3...

If you think about it...Wii sold more then xbox 360 and ps3..

so..1/3 or even 2/3 of Nintendo wii's brawl sell could be far more then 5 million. Only because more people own nintendo wii's then any other system, so that means more buyers.

but, that still doesn't mean it will top halo 3 in sells. it could. who knows

just a comment

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
I you bored of H3 that quickly, than you are obviously not a hardcore Halo player, someone who plays FPS that much, or you are someone who doesn't play XBL. If you did, you wouldn't be bored. In fact I would be playing H3 right now if my bro wasn't using my 360.
Just because people play FPS games a lot doesn't mean they have to lack taste and play Halo. Halo might be considered good for a console FPS, but there are multiple FPS games in the market right now on PC that have better mutliplayer, graphics, communities, and they have much better controls by nature.

Smash on the other hand is not trumped by several PC games of the same genre. In that way, smash is vastly superior. The only game that is worthy enough to be compared to smash is Starcraft.

Also, its not difficult to get huge sales when you spend $10 million on marketing before the game is even out.

Zanibas

Smash Cadet
Wii = Targeted at All Audiences

Xbox360 = Targeted at the Hardcore/Young Audiences

Brawl = Semi-Casual/Competitive Audience

Halo 3 = Hardcore/Young Audiences

Not all of the people who want a Wii want to fight Nintendo Characters.

And of course, not all who has a 360 want Halo 3, but then again, many do.

Different audience, hard to tell who will outsell, until it is done =P

Tobi-

Smash Ace
Wii = Targeted at All Audiences

Xbox360 = Targeted at the Hardcore/Young Audiences

Brawl = Semi-Casual/Competitive Audience

Halo 3 = Hardcore/Young Audiences

Not all of the people who want a Wii want to fight Nintendo Characters.

And of course, not all who has a 360 want Halo 3, but then again, many do.

Different audience, hard to tell who will outsell, until it is done =P
Pretty much everyone who has a Wii says the 1 game they are definitely going to have in their stock of games is brawl. Same as how nearly everyone who owned a gamecube had melee.

but who knows, we gotta wait.

Top Bottom