• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Brawl outsell Halo 3 ?

Magnacor

Smash Ace
I am going to tell you...
as soon as the anti-brawl @$$3$ see The "Certain Mature Aspects" Of Brawl..... I am sure they will get a Wii. For everone else....
Lets just say that SWF is not even 5% of the entire Smash community. There are probably over 3 Million people that do no kn0ow SWF Exists. So expect Brawl to sell more than Halo.
I am an intelligenc and I win this Plate of Brownies *takes*
*snatches back plate of brownies* It's not quite as simple showing them that Smash is awsome. Part of the Halo community (I'd guess maybe 10%?) is biased against Nintendo and refuse to buy the game as the system isn't "hardcore" enough for them. By the way, how does people not knowing about the SWF help Brawl sell more? *eats brownie* Excelent brownies, by the way.

Oh, and Teh Uber Parachuter: Yes, it appears I did miss some key points. Many adults might've just got a Wii to play at parties, but that is still a very small number and will hardly affect Brawl's sales. And no, owning a Wii does not equal wanting Brawl, but almost every kid or teen does want the Wii specifically for Brawl.

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
To answer the topic's question, I think Brawl outsells Halo, purely due to longevity. Bigger and better FPS's will come and go, while there will only be one Smash. That will be the ONLY thing that swings the sales in Brawl's favor.
You make some great points, but this is the only part I disagree with.

Halo and Melee were released only two weeks apart, and Halo is a household name while Melee is not. Regardless of some claims to the contrary. The original Halo is played competitively to this day, just like Smash, but I'd wager that people who are curious about relatively older games would turn to Halo 1 out of word-of-mouth, not Melee.

Halo 1 completely destroyed Melee in sales too, by the way, obviously far before Halo was a household name and at a time when the Xbox wasn't getting anywhere. I think that's worth nothing.

...I should repeat, before someone thinks I'm just being biased, that I don't own a 360, and don't own any Halo game. It doesn't appeal to me. This is just sales facts.

EDIT: Whoops, I was thinking of the Japanese Melee release date. Make that about two weeks, not six days, but that's still not a large margin.

RHF

Smash Rookie
IMO Brawl has been more anticipated then Halo 3 ever was. I'm betting Brawl will out sell Halo 3. The Smash series has never disappointed anyone yet. Can't say the same with the Halo games though.

Teh Uber Parachuter

Smash Cadet
IMO Brawl has been more anticipated then Halo 3 ever was. I'm betting Brawl will out sell Halo 3. The Smash series has never disappointed anyone yet. Can't say the same with the Halo games though.
You are sorely mistaken if you think that Halo 3 had less anticipation. Did you pay attention to the launch, and the hype it got? I doubt that G4 would have an entire launch special for Brawl as they did Halo. (Although, I really wouldn't mind if they did...that would be pretty **** tasty.)

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
Wii is worldwide, and Xbox is mostly American. about 25-30% of Xboxes are connected to Xbox Live or the internet, while 40-45% of Wiis are connected to the Internet. Wii has the world, while, without America, Xbox would fail miserably.

Teh Uber Parachuter

Smash Cadet
You make some great points, but this is the only part I disagree with.

Halo and Melee were released only six days apart, and Halo is a household name while Melee is not. Regardless of some claims to the contrary. The original Halo is played competitively to this day, just like Smash, but I'd wager that people who are curious about relatively older games would turn to Halo 1 out of word-of-mouth, not Melee.

Halo 1 completely destroyed Melee in sales too, by the way, obviously far before Halo was a household name and at a time when the Xbox wasn't getting anywhere. I think that's worth nothing.

...I should repeat, before someone thinks I'm just being biased, that I don't own a 360, and don't own any Halo game. It doesn't appeal to me. This is just sales facts.
I see what you mean. I was only trying to point out the fact that Halo will have serious competition in the FPS market, and most people's beef with Halo is that they find it over-hyped compared to other (and in their opinion better) FPS's. Smash has never had that problem (unless you consider the people who want it held in the same regards as the Street Fighters of the world). Not only is it the gold standard...it's the only standard

Also, I didn't know that about Halo 1 outselling Melee. Granted Halo 1 did earn GOTY honors, but still, that goes to show that as amazing as the Smash franchise is, it isn't some juggernaut as some people here make it out to be.

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
Wii is worldwide, and Xbox is mostly American. about 25-30% of Xboxes are connected to Xbox Live or the internet, while 40-45% of Wiis are connected to the Internet. Wii has the world, while, without America, Xbox would fail miserably.
Wii is worldwide, and 360 is mostly American? Then why are their global sales almost exactly the same?

Also, note that Live costs money.

Testament27

Smash Journeyman
Microsoft's marketing skills own Nintendo's
Halo 3 had SOOOOOOO MUCH HYPE compared to Brawl
Halo 3 is STILL SELLING A LOT, its practically keeping 360 alive
Brawl wont sell half of what halo 3 has

RHF

Smash Rookie
You are sorely mistaken if you think that Halo 3 had less anticipation. Did you pay attention to the launch, and the hype it got? I doubt that G4 would have an entire launch special for Brawl as they did Halo. (Although, I really wouldn't mind if they did...that would be pretty **** tasty.)
Not really because I don't consider G4 a worthy source of anything VG related anymore, ever since the merger it went straight down hill, Neal Tiles pretty much destroyed it. You know, why should we care if it doesn't out sell Halo 3? As long as Brawl does well is fine by me, and if it does out sell pretty much everything that kudos.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Unless Nintendo ramps up the Brawl hype over 9000 in the next two months, Brawl will not outsell Halo 3 in the first day. I may not be able to understand the mass appeal in Halo, but I can't deny it. Halo is just plain more popular.

gangstajuice02

Smash Ace
this is the dumbest thread in Smash Boards no guh!! Halo 3 iz not going to sell less!! SSBB is a great game in all but it just not a special game like Halo 3!!!

Teh Uber Parachuter

Smash Cadet
Not really because I don't consider G4 a worthy source of anything VG related anymore, ever since the merger it went straight down hill, Neal Tiles pretty much destroyed it. You know, why should we care if it doesn't out sell Halo 3? As long as Brawl does well is fine by me, and if it does out sell pretty much everything that kudos.
Regardless of whether you think G4 crap or not (for what it's worth, I agree that the network is garbage now too...), is irrelevant. My point was that an entire gaming network (you can look past quality, because it's the only one of it's kind) stopped what it was doing and just pushed Halo 3 in our face for hours leading up to and following the launch. And advertised about it beforehand too. It's like ESPN simulcasting a big time college hiring a coach or something. They don't do it for everyone, just for the things that get that kind of hype.

And personally, the outselling thing is inconsequential to me too as long as I get my copy of Brawl. I have a copy of Halo 3 too, so that just cancels out. I was just looking for a good debate as some people on here do also.

cultofrubik

Smash Journeyman
In my totally unprofessional opinion, based off of no little facts and the like, I feel that the Halo series has been a disappointment. I have followed it to the end, but Halo 3 just isn't like Halo 2 in [my] desires to play on Live. The only thing that I find myself still playing in Halo 3[elite: yeah, I'm still Halo fan] is the last level just for the "racing" aspect, which isn't even all that great. It's a neat franchise and all, but it never did live up to the hype. Still a fun game to play here and there, but Melee, a game that I have owned for 5 years, is taking up more time on my television that television itself. Melee is just more enjoyable. Less cussing and swearing, more laughing and "lolmindgames."

As for sales, I'm really hoping Brawl sells out Halo 3. It definitely has the capacity too, so we'll have to let time tell us for sure [obviously]. I'm also going to go ahead and put out that Halo 2 [*cries] professionals make a ****load more than Smash professionals regrettably, because the "crazed" gamer will usually hit the FPS. [I LEIK BLOOD AND GOER LO1Z!!11!]

Still though, give it time, because Brawl is getting around. It's like AIDS. Yay AIDS! [Sorry, I'm a little bored, so pointless statements can be amusing to me]

Red Exodus

Smash Master
You know, when I first looked at that box art I thought Link's sword hilt was a dildo...

Coselm

Smash Ace
I think Halo 3 will outsell Brawl in the short run, but in the long run, I think Brawl will **** Halo 3's sells...

But you never know...

Turtlefox

Smash Cadet
You know, when I first looked at that box art I thought Link's sword hilt was a dildo...
I'm sure it's Nintendo's plan to, you know, appeal to 'other people' in order to outsell Halo 3.
But of course, that'll never happen. Unless we EACH buy 20 copies! Well, What do you guys think? :lick:

Wait.. not even that will help. It's hopeless.

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
You would also probably compare the amount of people who have Wii's compared to those with 360's, since I'm pretty sure that'll be a factor in it.

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
You would also probably compare the amount of people who have Wii's compared to those with 360's, since I'm pretty sure that'll be a factor in it.
Already have, in this thread. Both have sold about 13 million copies globally, as of September 30. The numbers probably haven't changed much in a little over two months.

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
Already have, in this thread. Both have sold about 13 million copies globally, as of September 30. The numbers probably haven't changed much in a little over two months.
Actually the wii has sold 15.56 million while the xbox 360 has sold 14.14 million

go to VG chartz.com for proof
________
R69S

Cless

Smash Champion
What's the difference if it outsells Halo 3? It's like you just want the game dethroned for the sake of dethronement. Mostly everyone on this website is going to buy Brawl. It's not like you're going to be able to tell if 5 million people buy it as opposed to 1 million.

Spellman

Smash Ace
I know it seems pointless having these trivial arguments about which games will sell more, but...

Nintendo had a pretty bad period once the PS2 came out. Even though they still pumped out a few awesome titles a year, people just didn't seem to be recognizing it anymore, and the Gamecube became mostly a joke. I know people who laughed their heads off at my loyalty to Nintendo.

The Wii still seems like the underdog even though it's the best selling home console right now, with it's underpowered graphics and weak internet connectivity, so it's natural for fans to feel the need to rub it in others faces, because there is still consistent trash talk against the Wii. I don't blame people for it, deep down, I'm rooting for the Big-N as much as the next fan, I grew up with Nintendo, I like to see them succeed.

Cless

Smash Champion
I don't like the Wii very much. I don't like the unnecessary motion controls in some games, and I don't like how most games have inaccurate motion controls. It's a nice idea, but I'm still stuck on buttons.

That being said, it's a casual gamer's dream.

WarioII

Smash Apprentice
1.Halo 3 will still have sold more copies than SSBB
2.Does it really matter?Two completely different games
3.Who cares how much it sells?As long as we have a good game
yeah your speakin my language

kashikomarimashita

Smash Journeyman
Halo 3 was a released worldwide within 2 days, while Brawl will be released over several months. Thus it will be a while before how well Beawl fares on the global market. But, I think it will outsell Halo 3 because there will eventaully be more Wiis than Xbox 360s out there

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
The only reason I have doubts that Brawl will outsell Halo 3 is because a lot of Wii owners are the casual/Wii sports people, and they probably don't have a lot of interest in Brawl. Where as just about all 360 owners probably bought Halo 3.

I think that Brawl will have a longer life span than Halo though. Halo 3 didn't really offer much that Halo 2 didn't already have. So I think that people will get tired of Halo 3 sooner than they did with Halo 2, since it's basically just more of the same. Brawl, on the other hand, offers way more than what Melee had. It has online for the first time in the series, a stage creator, 3rd party characters, and most likely way more characters and stages than Melee had. So I could possibly see Brawl outselling Halo 3 in the long run, but I don't think it will break Halo 3's first week record.

CHAOSDRAGON88

Smash Ace
I just wish i had brawl. I would still love the game if it only sold one copy, that copy being sold to me. Dont judge me you were all thinking it i just happened to say it.

MasterRaichu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EddieJ86
3DS FC
2337-4950-9512
Microsoft had waaaaaaayyy too many marketing ploys and business deals in place that allowed Halo 3 to sell so much so quickly -- they made a Halo 3 Mountain Dew for christ sake. More money was spent marketing Halo 3 than any other game in history. Also, as stated earlier, Halo 3 came out in all three main regions within a few days of each other, allowing for that massive number of sales within its first week.

Brawl will most definitely NOT have that kind of marketing. Even though Nintendo could afford it at this point, they could still never hope to create the kind of marketing system that allowed Halo 3's immediate success. However, I think that over time Brawl will at least match it, but not for a very very LONG time.

jay~B

Smash Journeyman
this is the dumbest thread in Smash Boards no guh!! Halo 3 iz not going to sell less!! SSBB is a great game in all but it just not a special game like Halo 3!!!
The smash series has never disappointed any1 but im sorry 2 say that the halo series has more than once
Im willing 2 bet everything i've got that brawl will selll more than halo3

jay~B

Smash Journeyman
If you want Brawl to be successful when it is released:

go buy it.

tell your friends about it and make them buy it.

tell alot of people about it.

that's your duty as a fan.
He's right, if u think it won't outsell halo3 then ur DUTY is to do everything u can to make it sell more

Machspeed

Smash Lord
The smash series has never disappointed any1 but im sorry 2 say that the halo series has more than once
Im willing 2 bet everything i've got that brawl will selll more than halo3
True, Crysis, Call of Duty 4 and Bioshock, imo are much better than Halo 3.

The only people who claim Halo 3 to be as good as it is, are people who have been following the series since the first one; someone new to playing Halo thinks it's just any ordinary FPS.

sfox8

Smash Journeyman
True, Crysis, Call of Duty 4 and Bioshock, imo are much better than Halo 3.

The only people who claim Halo 3 to be as good as it is, are people who have been following the series since the first one; someone new to playing Halo thinks it's just any ordinary FPS.
Because it is. It doesn't do anything really innovative or groundbreaking that Halo 2 didn't. I've played all 3 Halo games and to be quite honest, I hated them all and couldn't see what the appeal was. I found it incredibly boring as well. I'll take Bioshock over that any day.

But yeah, I think we can all agree that Brawl will not come close to Halo 3's sales even in the first YEAR (since it's taking almost a year for it to be released worldwide, what with the UK delay and all. and Aussies are still waiting for a date). I think that in the long run, it will at least come close or catch up to it.

Top Bottom