• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Brawl outsell Halo 3 ?

Testament27

Smash Journeyman
halo 3 sold 8.1 million copies by january 3rd. brawl may not even be released outside of the us and *** 4 months after february.

at the end of the line, it may be close, but by years end, i say halo 3 still sells more. miicrosoft marketed the **** out of that game, while nintendo has treated brawl as a normal title. its all in marketing. and nintendo has been outclassed by microsoft in that aspect.

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
I like how you ignored his other comment. Beside that though, the Halo franchise has released all three of their games in the period that Melee was still a topselling game. If that's not enough, Brawl has much more followers right now than Melee did, so even if it isn't as competitive as melee, it will probably sell as much or more.
Why do you think it has more followers?

Everyone's making assumptions based on anecdotal evidence. There is no real evidence that brawl has more followers. There are no reports that Brawl has more preorders than halo 3, otherwise it'd be all over the news--not because it's videogame news, but because it becomes entertainment news at that level. Halo 3 currently holds the record for day-one entertainment sales, and for brawl to beat that would be news indeed.

Also, your argument about all three games being released during melee makes no sense. If we're combining all three halo games, then the Halo series has sold over 20 million games... a significant number over melee's 6 million or so.

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
Why do you think it has more followers?

Everyone's making assumptions based on anecdotal evidence. There is no real evidence that brawl has more followers. There are no reports that Brawl has more preorders than halo 3, otherwise it'd be all over the news--not because it's videogame news, but because it becomes entertainment news at that level. Halo 3 currently holds the record for day-one entertainment sales, and for brawl to beat that would be news indeed.

Also, your argument about all three games being released during melee makes no sense. If we're combining all three halo games, then the Halo series has sold over 20 million games... a significant number over melee's 6 million or so.
Okay, you're right about the anecdotes, but video games are still not at the point where Brawl getting more preorders is big news. Also, this topic is about Halo 3 vs Brawl, so I guess I should've been more clear.

If any of the Halo games were out as long as Melee before any of their sequels were released, they would not sell as much as Melee, or as much as we are predicting Brawl to sell.

Papapaint

Okay, you're right about the anecdotes, but video games are still not at the point where Brawl getting more preorders is big news. Also, this topic is about Halo 3 vs Brawl, so I guess I should've been more clear.

If any of the Halo games were out as long as Melee before any of their sequels were released, they would not sell as much as Melee, or as much as we are predicting Brawl to sell.

Halo one sold 5 million. This is comparable to smash 64's 4.5 million--and this sold at a time when xbox was the massive underdog.

Halo two sold 8 million. This is comparable to melee's 6 million. Both consoles were established.

Halo 3 has already sold 8.1 million. This will be comparable to brawl's figures.

If you follow the trend, Halo 3 will outsell brawl, possibly by an even larger margin.

And yes, video games are at the point where they would get news--Halo 3 did, in fact, make headlines with its day-one entertainment sales record.

Your Halo sequels vs. melee argument is weak, and doesn't help your case in any way.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord

What? So if the game was out for longer it would have sold less? That makes no sense.

Zelda92

Smash Cadet
No, I don't think it will.
Halo is one of the best selling games in history I think (not sure though) and the xbox games sells more copies then wii games does.
Its definatly gonna sell well, but I doubt it will sell as good as Halo.
you can't compare how good brawl is! Brawl is better than Halo 3!!
Two different genres.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Well Halo 3 had a lot of initial sales but not after. The game is a flop considering how much better other games have been of the same genre.

And are you people still using the old box art? Here's the official:

Lord SeBz

Smash Journeyman
Well Halo 3 had a lot of initial sales but not after. The game is a flop considering how much better other games have been of the same genre.

And are you people still using the old box art? Here's the official:

F*CK YEAH SEAKI-- GRIMER!!

cdude1034

Smash Cadet

Halo one sold 5 million. This is comparable to smash 64's 4.5 million--and this sold at a time when xbox was the massive underdog.

Halo two sold 8 million. This is comparable to melee's 6 million. Both consoles were established.

Halo 3 has already sold 8.1 million. This will be comparable to brawl's figures.

If you follow the trend, Halo 3 will outsell brawl, possibly by an even larger margin.

And yes, video games are at the point where they would get news--Halo 3 did, in fact, make headlines with its day-one entertainment sales record.

Your Halo sequels vs. melee argument is weak, and doesn't help your case in any way.
Even though the past is usually a good indicator of the future, in terms of game sales, it really doesn't work that way.

Yes Halo is a popular franchise, yes it sold a lot of copies very quickly, but it just doesn't have the legs that the smash brothers games have.

Let's look at the comparison. Halo 1 was built for the xbox. It had xbox all over it, and it was a FPS on a FPS console. Even though it was not yet an established franchise, it was perfect for the console it was on. SSB 64 was almost not even released in the US. Originally it was a Japan only title, and the only reason it came over here was because of the enormous popularity it had over there. As such, there wasn't very much advertising, and quite honestly it wasn't a very complete game. Fun, yes, but not a complete game.

Halo 2 was hyped to say the least. People loved the first one, and now they were hungry for more. This is where it falls apart though; It sold a lot very quickly, but it had pretty short legs. Melee, on the other hand, didn't quite have the traction of the Halo series, especially in America which is Halo Haven. Even today you see a few copies of Melee being sold here and there, but not so much with Halo. There just wasn't the hype at release for Melee.

Halo 3 was the most advertised and hyped game thus far in video game history. With over a million preorders, it set the record for pre-sold games. Once again though, after the first 3-4 weeks, it failed to make anyones top 20 sold list.

Enter Brawl, with a console base of about 20 million people (about 3.5 mil more than 360). This IS one of the big games (aside from Galaxy) that people were looking forward to on the Wii. This IS a system seller, just like Halo was for 360.

****, I gotta go to class, I'll finish this later though.

krynny

Smash Cadet
i dont know how many copies were out tos tart, but Halo 3 wasnt sold out anywhere around me. So if smash bros is sold out at a couple places, it would get my hopes up. Though, to be honest, i dont really care as long as the smash community gets it, and that it would be popular enough to make a 4th.

TomH

Smash Journeyman
its a dumb statistic. Halo 3 sold out. Brawl will sell out. Halo 3 waited for extra production rounds before releasing the game for the purpose of breaking the single day sales record. Brawl did not. If brawl felt like making more copies of the game than Halo made, brawl would win.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Brawl probably won't sell as well for the simple facts that it

A. Is a fighting game as opposed to an FPS
B. Hype makes a difference, Brawl is a hyped game if your a gamer. Halo 3 was a household name even if you weren't.

What could save smash is if it does well in japan. Seeing as how Halo has never been big in Japan that could give it the edge it needs.

Musica Amante

Smash Apprentice
In response to the original post:

1. Who cares?
2. No
-a. Microsoft has way more money to spend when it comes to marketing. I couldn't go to Burger King or get something to drink without Master Chief staring me in the face.

It's not because Halo is a better game, it's because it was marketed so well.

Nintendo makes little to no effort to advertise this game in the states.

Look at Melee. All we got was that ****ty commercial with the Samurais fighting because it was part of that particular campaign.

Nintendo's big campaign right now is "Wii would like to play".

The most we'll see states-side is a commercial with those japanese guys coming to someone's house saying "Wii would like to play". 80% of the commercial will show people playing the game and 20% of the commercial will actually be game footage.

That campaign was cute the first two times. But I'm sort've over it now...

Igneous42

Smash Ace
i dont know how many copies were out tos tart, but Halo 3 wasnt sold out anywhere around me. So if smash bros is sold out at a couple places, it would get my hopes up. Though, to be honest, i dont really care as long as the smash community gets it, and that it would be popular enough to make a 4th.
I wish that was true but more people have a xbox360 than a nintendo wii
I can guarantee you that gamestops will have got a lot more copies of Halo 3 then they will brawl.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Even though the past is usually a good indicator of the future, in terms of game sales, it really doesn't work that way.

Yes Halo is a popular franchise, yes it sold a lot of copies very quickly, but it just doesn't have the legs that the smash brothers games have.

Let's look at the comparison. Halo 1 was built for the xbox. It had xbox all over it, and it was a FPS on a FPS console. Even though it was not yet an established franchise, it was perfect for the console it was on. SSB 64 was almost not even released in the US. Originally it was a Japan only title, and the only reason it came over here was because of the enormous popularity it had over there. As such, there wasn't very much advertising, and quite honestly it wasn't a very complete game. Fun, yes, but not a complete game.

Halo 2 was hyped to say the least. People loved the first one, and now they were hungry for more. This is where it falls apart though; It sold a lot very quickly, but it had pretty short legs. Melee, on the other hand, didn't quite have the traction of the Halo series, especially in
America which is Halo Haven. Even today you see a few copies of Melee being sold here and there, but not so much with Halo. There just wasn't the hype at release for Melee.

Halo 3 was the most advertised and hyped game thus far in video game history. With over a million preorders, it set the record for pre-sold games. Once again though, after the first 3-4 weeks, it failed to make anyones top 20 sold list.

Enter Brawl, with a console base of about 20 million people (about 3.5 mil more than 360). This IS one of the big games (aside from Galaxy) that people were looking forward to on the Wii. This IS a system seller, just like Halo was for 360.

****, I gotta go to class, I'll finish this later though.

But you forget that Wii games sell badly. Our best selling game is like 4 million since launch.

Honestly, how many Melee's are really outselling Halo 2's? I doubt there's much of either at all either way.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Actually Melee has stayed in the top 20 games sold each month ever since it was released.

And as for Halo 3. It's a flop. Marketing-wise? No! It was excellent! But from a gamer's perspective... Major flop. This game had become bigger then God to most people and now it's being beaten out by Metal of Honor, a WWII franchise that's been around LONGER then the actual second World War.

Now that other companies have seen the formula used to beat Halo 3, they will build off of Metal of Honor and then each other until Halo 3 falls into the same obscurity as Red Faction did.

Also I'd like to point out that there's only been one successful Platform Fighter like Smash, and that's JUMP Superstars. Which was also created by Nintendo.

In the end, Halo's sales will flat-line when a few more FPS come out and nothing will come along to steal sales from Smash.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Will Brawl's lauch outsell Halo 3's lauch? Most definitely not. Will Brawl sell more copies within this year? Maybe, maybe not. However, it is inevitable that Brawl will outsell Halo 3 in total sales eventually.

Exhibit A: The Wii has sold 19.72 million units worldwide in a single year, while the 360 has sold 16.33 Million in over two years. The Wii is currently the leader this generation and this is unlikely to change anytime soon. Huge installed bases drive software sales. (Sourse: vgchartz.com)

Exhibit B: Look at the competiton Halo 3 has from other FPS games on 360 (ie: Call of Duty, Orange Box, etc.) compared to the competiton Brawl has from other mascot fighting games on the Wii (ie: nothing). Two years from now, Brawl will still be the most popular multiplayer game on its system. Can will be sure Halo will have that kind of legs when pitted against Call of Duty 5 and Gears of War 2?

Exhibit C: In Smash Bros Brawl, you can play as Captain Olimar. Case closed. (That was a joke. Mostly.)

Zelda92

Smash Cadet
^While there's no denying that the wii is the best selling console atm, and probably until the next genereation, its hard to deny that the games dosent as well as the Xbox360's.
In fact, I think that Xbox is leading when it comes to selling games.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
^While there's no denying that the wii is the best selling console atm, and probably until the next genereation, its hard to deny that the games dosent as well as the Xbox360's.
In fact, I think that Xbox is leading when it comes to selling games.
360 is definitely the king of software sales. It's a platform where lots of games can sell really well. Nintendo platforms are no slouch either, though - particularily when it comes to Nintendo games.

Compare the American sales for these two 2007 titles:

Halo 3 : 4,626,646
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl : 4,401,363

And that's not counting the sales of each game in Japan. (Take a guess which sold more.)

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Exhibit B: Look at the competiton Halo 3 has from other FPS games on 360 (ie: Call of Duty, Orange Box, etc.) compared to the competiton Brawl has from other mascot fighting games on the Wii (ie: nothing). Two years from now, Brawl will still be the most popular multiplayer game on its system. Can will be sure Halo will have that kind of legs when pitted against Call of Duty 5 and Gears of War 2?

GoW2 is gonna curb stomp and chainsaw the entire Halo series.

thetoastinator

Smash Apprentice
Who will have the most sold copies? Halo most likely...
Who will have the most returned copies? Halo....

dongdodongo

Smash Rookie
SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM!
SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM!

Red Exodus

Smash Master
When I played Halo the other day it was great fun. And then I realized:

Why do sales matter? Will your ePen0r grow an inch if Brawl beats Halo? Will you voice get soft and girly if it doesn't?

I honestly hope that when Brawl comes out stupid threads like this die because the only group of people I see comparing Smash to Halo are some of the people on SWF. It's sad, people say the Halo community is childish [it is] yet I've never seen a single Halo sales vs [insert game] sales thread on the Xbox or Halo forums.

Necrochild313

Smash Apprentice
Perhaps long term, but not short term.

Nintendo games are known for their legs more than anything.

Zelda92

Smash Cadet
Who will have the most sold copies? Halo most likely...
Who will have the most returned copies? Halo....
And what do you base that on?
Seriously, the game isn't bad. It might not be what people hyped it up to be, but
I've never seen a game that could be as good as what the hyping made Halo look like. I think Halo is amazing, and just because it sells well, dosen't mean it sucks.
I wonder if you can't have a game to sell more then you're favorite franchise? It sure looks like it.

cdude1034

Smash Cadet
But you forget that Wii games sell badly. Our best selling game is like 4 million since launch.

Honestly, how many Melee's are really outselling Halo 2's? I doubt there's much of either at all either way.
Depends on your definition of "badly". The Wii currently has 13 million sellers not named Wii Sports or Wii Play. 2 of them have sold over 4 million each, and 6 sold over 2 million. Only 3 of the million sellers were launch titles.

Link Here

Also another poster brought up a good point that Brawl really doesn't have as much genre competition as Halo has. There are 6.02*10^23 FPS's, but nothing else out there really quite like Brawl. At least nothing popular anyway.

MSS

Smash Cadet
There is no doubt that Brawl will sell very well, but will it outsell Halo 3? Sadly not a chance...Halo 2 maybe...

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
When I played Halo the other day it was great fun. And then I realized:

Why do sales matter? Will your ePen0r grow an inch if Brawl beats Halo? Will you voice get soft and girly if it doesn't?

I honestly hope that when Brawl comes out stupid threads like this die because the only group of people I see comparing Smash to Halo are some of the people on SWF. It's sad, people say the Halo community is childish [it is] yet I've never seen a single Halo sales vs [insert game] sales thread on the Xbox or Halo forums.
Sales certainly don't affect my enjoyment of games but, strictly as an observer of the videogames industry, I find this sort of thing genuinely interesting.

Like I've said before, there is nothing wrong with the friendly rivalry between the Halo and Smash series. They are both great multiplayer experiences and there is no reason why people can't like both. If people seem obsessed with comparing Smash to Halo, it's just because they want to see their beloved series do well - and Halo has set an impressive bendmark to aspire to.

Papapaint

Sales certainly don't affect my enjoyment of games but, strictly as an observer of the videogames industry, I find this sort of thing genuinely interesting.

Like I've said before, there is nothing wrong with the friendly rivalry between the Halo and Smash series. They are both great multiplayer experiences and there is no reason why people can't like both. If people seem obsessed with comparing Smash to Halo, it's just because they want to see their beloved series do well - and Halo has set an impressive bendmark to aspire to.

jay~B

Smash Journeyman
SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM!
If you have something bad to say, say it, but don't do that. This isn't tolerated, thats not me talking that Youko

Thi0s

Smash Apprentice
If 14 mil people have 360's and 7 mil copies of Halo 3 have been sold, you could say about half of all 360 owners have Halo 3 (Which I think is weird... I thought 100% would have it >_<)

If only half of the number of Wii owners bought Brawl (~17 mil) than that would be 8.5 million copies of Brawl. I don't think that everyone will buy Brawl, but if it's at least half, than Super Smash Bros. Brawl would outsell Halo 3.

And to show proof that I'm not randomly making up numbers:
Halo 3 Info
Wii, XBox360, and PS3 Sales

Smash Apprentice
Before, I'd say "improbable".

Now, I say "yes, eventually".

Halo 3 was meant to be THE FPS of 2007 and years afterwards.

However...

...the game was nothing spectacular and was quickly squashed in both quality and ratings by Call of Duty 4.

I was in a Gamestop the day after Christmas and you wouldn't believe how many people were picking up CoD4, not Halo 3.

I like Halo, but Call of Duty is simply better. Since most FPS fanatics are currently addicted to that, the Halo sales have likely slowed.

The reign of Halo is over.

Top Bottom