• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Brawl outsell Halo 3 ?

Okysho

Smash Ace
heres my speculation on this topic, for one thing Brawl and Halo 3 are two entirely different games and do not need to be compared, but since it obviously is, i am going to give it to you straight, money wise Halo will completely dominate, a 360 game is usually 60 bucks and guess what? Halo 3s price was 60! so that means for every 5 copies Halo 3 sold Brawl will have to sell 6, thats not including the other two editions of halo 3, one costing 70 and the other edition costing like 100 (Sorry Halo fanboys, if i got the prices wrong), Even if you look at it from copies sold I dont think Brawl will surpass it, i read that on the release day Halo 3 sold enough to make more than the opening gross of Spiderman 3, which is one of the movies that made more money than any others in history, The only hope that brawl will sell more is if the Halo 3 fanboys have dried up their well and everyone who wants it has it. pretty much everyone in love with master chief has a 360, yet the wii (due to the holidays) is selling like hotcakes, Brawl could still win the battle if the wii outsells the 360 by a substantial amount, Brawl COULD do it, but over time, its not gunna happen right away.
What are you talking about? Nintendo games are just as much as Xbox games $60! if anything Brawl will be MORE money than your average Wii game because of it's mass popularity. (instead of 60 will most likely be 70) Metroid prime 3 was $70 because it was a popular game and a popular genre! And **** did it to one hell of job! Brawl may not outsell halo 3 first day, but brawl will outsell Halo 3 within a few months hands down!

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
What are you talking about? Nintendo games are just as much as Xbox games $60! if anything Brawl will be MORE money than your average Wii game because of it's mass popularity. (instead of 60 will most likely be 70) Metroid prime 3 was $70 because it was a popular game and a popular genre! And **** did it to one hell of job! Brawl may not outsell halo 3 first day, but brawl will outsell Halo 3 within a few months hands down!
I don't know what country you live in, but I've never seen Metroid Prime 3 for $70. That'd be marketing suicide.

Halo 3 wasn't $70 either, and it's far more popular.

Okysho

Smash Ace
I don't know what country you live in, but I've never seen Metroid Prime 3 for $70. That'd be marketing suicide.

Halo 3 wasn't $70 either, and it's far more popular.
No, Halo 3 was $60, BTW I actually do live in a different country, Canada, but that doesn't really play a factor since our dollar is at par with yours. It's a known fact that More popular Nintendo games are at a much higher price by about $10. Either way, Brawl is still much more popular than Halo 3 both locally (north america) and most definately internationally, Brawl will outsell halo 3 hands down

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
did you know that currently NINTENDOGS is selling more than halo 3?
Its true check the current sales!

halo 3 is already not selling that well!

Wow.... just wow. Halo 3 is currently the best selling game of all time.

Get some figures. Halo 3 is probably about a week away from matching Melee's figures. I don't see how you can break the record for reservations, launch day sales, and other sales record, and still not be "not selling that well" OVER 5 MILLION HALO 3's IN 2 WEEKS! Nintendogs is a DS game with multiple versions that all count towards the final figure..

Brawl is $49.99 USD.

Brawl won't even sell 5 million copies in 6 months. So I doubt it will match Halo 3 in a few months.

Spellman

Smash Ace
Admittedly, I bought Metroid Prime 3: Corruption for $59.99, Super Mario Galaxy for $49.99, and The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass for $24.99 all brand new. Great games, though.

Nintendo isn't one to overprice their merchandise.

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
Wow.... just wow.

Get some figures. Halo 3 is probably about a week away from matching Melee's figures. I don't see how you can break the record for reservations, launch day sales, and other sales record, and still not be "not selling that well" OVER 5 MILLION HALO 3's IN 2 WEEKS!
Yea that just proves my point more, everyone that really wanted it ALREADY GOT IT, now its going to have less and less sales every week.
Also halo 3 has only sold about 4 million 200 thousand.

EDIT: sorry its 4 million 200 thousand in America, its actually sold 5 million 800 thousand. But if it sold 5 million in 2 weeks then that means it sold less than 1/5 of that in the nine weeks following those.
________
Kawasaki ZR750H

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Yea that just proves my point more, everyone that really wanted it ALREADY GOT IT, now its going to have less and less sales every week.
So you're saying once a game is out for a few weeks, it doesn't sell anymore because everyone who wants it has it?

Okysho

Smash Ace
Brawl is $49.99 USD.

Brawl won't even sell 5 million copies in 6 months. So I doubt it will match Halo 3 in a few months.
How do you know that? Where's your evidence? Fact is Brawl is still far more popular than halo3 internationally, that crap that you people spew about there not being enough hype is utter bull****, millions of people hit the dojo everyday to see the updates. (I don't know a single person that doesn't) brawl can outsell halo 3 and it will probably happen. No one said on it's release date, but it will happen within a few months, it'll be something like the Wii sales at the beginning of it's release, and most people still can't get their hands on a Wii and ESPECIALLY now at this time since it's the christmas season...

BTW If you're not a brawl supporter what the heck are you doing on these boards anyways?

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
So once a game sells X amount in a few weeks, it doesn't sell anymore because everyone that wants it, has it already?

Jeff Bell, Corporate Vice President of Global Marketing for the Xbox 360 says that Halo has sold over 5 million copies. Where did you get your 4.2 figure from?

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
Fact is Brawl is still far more popular than halo3 internationally, that crap that you people spew about there not being enough hype is utter bull***
No, it's not. You're offering very little proof yourself, but we already have proven extensively that hardcore games on the Wii aren't selling and it should be pretty obvious that Nintendo is only hyping the game to people who already know about it and will buy it regardless.

And not hyping it to anyone else. "I don't know a single person that doesn't!" is not proof.

BTW If you're not a brawl supporter what the heck are you doing on these boards anyways?
Because I do support Brawl, idiot. I've been following it since announcement, I've played Melee for years, I'm looking forward to maining Dedede, I check the Dojo daily, I lurk on plenty of Smash Bros forums... But I can look past this silly little thing called "bias" and figure out that Brawl is nowhere near Halo in hype or popularity.

I've also mentioned quite a few times that I don't even own a 360.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
How do you know that? Where's your evidence? Fact is Brawl is still far more popular than halo3 internationally, that crap that you people spew about there not being enough hype is utter bull****, millions of people hit the dojo everyday to see the updates. (I don't know a single person that doesn't) brawl can outsell halo 3 and it will probably happen. No one said on it's release date, but it will happen within a few months, it'll be something like the Wii sales at the beginning of it's release, and most people still can't get their hands on a Wii and ESPECIALLY now at this time since it's the christmas season...

Gamestop is selling it for $49.99, so I take it that's the price of the game. Halo 3 had more hype. Yes, the dojo gets a lot of hits but that's because there is daily weekday updates, if you haven't noticed.....

seriously, Edreams you annoy me more than chi but chi obviously like halo 3 a LOT better than smash.
I obviously like Halo more than Smash? I've stated numerous times in this thread that I love Smash and Zelda, but don't like Halo. I don't own it, have never played 1 second of Halo 3. I played a combined hour of 1 and 2, and didn't like Halo much at all based on what i played. Check my gamercard: Shotty 2Ya D0ME (it was an older clan name for GoW, so yes I know it's dumb lol) and you will see that I've never played Halo at all.

I operate an entire Website DEDICATED to Brawl, for crying out loud. Just because I think that any game other than a Nintendo game can sell half way decent, does not mean I don't like Brawl and like Halo.

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
I obviously like Halo more than Smash? I've stated numerous times in this thread that I love Smash and Zelda, but don't like Halo. I don't own it, have never played 1 second of Halo 3. I played a combined hour of 1 and 2, and didn't like Halo much at all based on what i played. Check my gamercard: Shotty 2Ya D0ME (it was an older clan name for GoW, so yes I know it's dumb lol) and you will see that I've never played Halo at all.
then how come you've been saying stuff like " ITEMS in brawl suck" and "halo 3s online pwns brawls" and "halo has so much more customization".
________
smoking kills

Drakemilio

Smash Rookie
well who cares really

cause in my opinion brawl is a better game already and we ahvent even heard of everything about it yet so idc who sells mroe cause brawl is better imo

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
then how come you've been saying stuff like " ITEMS in brawl suck" and "halo 3s online pwns brawls" and "halo has so much more customization".
Well, I don't like items, the Wii's online in general is terrible, and Halo is more customizable.

Items turn it into Mario Party, which I dislike. I didn't like Halo's gameplay, so I wouldn't enjoy it's far superior online capabilities because I didn't enjoy the game itself. And while Brawl has cutomization, without a doubt, Halo 3 has more customization. But that isn't going to make me like the gameplay of Halo over Brawl either.

Those are factors that I think Halo 3 is doing better, with the exception of items which are irrelevant. None of them are the whole game.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Unless you mean how I've stated that items affect a competitive standepoint in Melee, how I've said that XBL is better than Wii's online, and how Brawl's online should have a custom search for matches, then that proves nothing in saying that I could possibly like Halo 3 over Brawl.

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
You know what, this argument/debate is going back and forth over the exact same points! Were not getting anywhere so I think this thread should be closed down until X time after Brawl comes out with the title "Did brawl sell more than halo 3" the answer will, at that point will most likely be no, but in the future will be yes.

CLOSED

EDIT: i mixed up yes and no
________
volcano classic vaporizer

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
First of all, Halo is not the best selling game of all time in total sales. It had the best launch and is currently the best selling franchise, but Super Mario 3 which was not a pack in game, sold 17 million copies.

Also, did you know Gamecube at one time had a higher attachement rate than the PS2? I wonder why that is? If you answer this question, it is the same thing between Xbox 360 and Wii that I think is going on now.

Magnacor

Smash Ace
Well, I don't like items, the Wii's online in general is terrible, and Halo is more customizable.

Items turn it into Mario Party, which I dislike. I didn't like Halo's gameplay, so I wouldn't enjoy it's far superior online capabilities because I didn't enjoy the game itself. And while Brawl has cutomization, without a doubt, Halo 3 has more customization. But that isn't going to make me like the gameplay of Halo over Brawl either.

Those are factors that I think Halo 3 is doing better, with the exception of items which are irrelevant. None of them are the whole game.
You don't like items. Understandable. Halo's online being better. True. But Halo 3 has more customization? How so?

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
First of all, Halo is not the best selling game of all time in total sales. It had the best launch and is currently the best selling franchise, but Super Mario 3 which was not a pack in game, sold 17 million copies.

Also, did you know Gamecube at one time had a higher attachement rate than the PS2? I wonder why that is? If you answer this question, it is the same thing between Xbox 360 and Wii that I think is going on now.
I don't even think Halo 3 is in the top 40 best selling games of all time, yet. It is only half way to the top 20 as it is.

I am agreeing with you though. XD

Plenty of games have sold more copies than Halo 3, and in all likelyhood Halo 3 will never be the best selling game of all time, especially since I know a lot of Halo fans that don't even like Halo 3 compared to the other two.

The only reason these two games are being compared is they were the highlights of last generation on the Xbox and Gamecube. It's extremely hard to compare the two, simply because Halo 3 has been released and got massive sales (that have drastically slowed down) and Brawl still has another month before it's going to the production lines.

Brawler1432

Smash Lord
Just so you know, I have no problem with the online. :ohwell: It's features are limited by relative comparison (even the DS has had a little more functionality), but I have no problem with it.

A lot of people are upset about the online play, and gamers who play online games probably won't feel the same kind of satisfaction having no ranking boards or no means to burn the other player verbally. For some people, communication is the sole purpose for playing an online game.

But just having net play on Brawl is more than enough for me. It opens the biggest door, that's for sure.
your not the only one, trust me most gamers that already havn't been introduced to smash might be disappointedly, but a good majority of gamers worldwide are smash fans, it's what Sakurai relys on, and trust me they were probably so much more exited at that Wi Fi update, then any other halo fans when they announceed Forge, and other cool Halo 3 modes. I myself am one of them, playing smash online is a dream for me, I don't care if they lack a few abilities, in fact I expected less, it won't matter if the online can live up to Halos, because its so totally different then Halos, and brawl will sell well for the sole reason that it has a fan group big enough to take out Chuck Norris (and thats saying something)

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
When I said Halo 3 is currently the best selling, I meant rate. I should have made that more clearer, so i see the confusion it caused. I know Mario 1, 3, Tetris, Halo 2, Melee, etc have sold more than it.

You know what, this argument/debate is going back and forth over the exact same points! Were not getting anywhere so I think this thread should be closed down until X time after Brawl comes out with the title "Did brawl sell more than halo 3" the answer will, at that point will most likely be yes, but in the future will be no.

CLOSED
Yea, exactly. Please don't try to lie and say that I said "________" when you have no proof to back it up. You only lowered your credibility by saying that.

nobletoast

Smash Journeyman
50 Cents Bulletproof outsold Shadow of the Colossus.
Conclusion = Games sales dont matter.

On an unrelated note, Halo Rocks and will sell more than Smash. Halo 2 sold 8 million and Melee sold 6 million. It'll be tight but Halo 3 has aparantly already reached 5 million, not taking into account Christmas sales. As for what you think about Halo's gameplay and fans you should really be giving a game that earned gamers everywhere the respect of the non-video game public with the hype the game caused its due. Halo very much did for video games what Watchmen did for comic books, earned it respect from Joe-Public (although not in an 'art' sense like Watchmen) and you Should be greatful.

But I know which i'll be playing longer*
*hint - im on Smashboards.

Buggswatter

Smash Rookie
50 Cents Bulletproof outsold Shadow of the Colossus.
Conclusion = Games sales dont matter.
I don't see how game sales don't matter to the entertainment industry. Obviously if you can put resources into developing a great game franchise like Halo or Smash, you can bank upwards of 170 million in the first day of availability. Obviously thats the record, and can't be applied across the entire video game board. But it can happen, and is all the more reason to make sure Brawl is the best showing for the Wii.

Not a real fan of halo myself, but I respect its authorita. Personally I'd love to see Brawl set records and create a media frenzy. I don't think it will happen, or will it beat halo's initial success. One reason I suspect, is its harder to initially turn people onto Smash. I mean, what hard-core Madden jock-head is going to jump out of his seat at the chance of controlling Peach. My roommate is one and it drives me nutts. Just can't get him excited about Brawl. I'm trying, but Sonic is the only thing that's helped, again, proving his marketing power.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
Halo 3 sold well because the adults to kids ratio of buying the game isn't as large as it would be for smash..
maybe for like every 1 kid that got halo, 1-1.5 got halo also. When I play I run into Adults more than kids. Adults have easier access to money, whereas a kid might have to wait or ask their parents to buy the game..
Plus take in count all the pedos who like to listen to people talk on live (lol) its no wonder why Halo sold so much ...

Smash will surpass it in every other field though.. including gameplay and story line. (That Diddy Kong/Fox/ Rayquaza scene was more interesting than any cut scene in halo 3 imo)

starcock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Starcock
Brilliant, Will Brawl outsell Halo 3? I know, let me ask N*ggas from smashbroards for their opinion! it is only logical, not like they will be bias or nothing with their predictions.

...................................idiot.

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
Starcock, your posts are thought out, and insightful. Your signiature also resembles the efforts of someone who is not only mature, but also skilled.

Just kidding.

starcock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Starcock
Starcock, your posts are thought out, and insightful. Your signiature also resembles the efforts of someone who is not only mature, but also skilled.

Just kidding.
You're hilarious, I will put your jokes on the back of the next frosted flakes.

sonicspeed 96

Smash Journeyman
You know what I really don't get?
People go to this site for Smash Bros but then all of a sudden are talking about Halo.
This is a smash site and almost everyone would agree that Brawl will outsell Halo.
I mean if you don't think that then just go to some halo site and don't post it here we don't want to hear that some people here will say that Halo 3 will outsell Brawl.
I personally think that Brawl will outsell Halo 3.

Top Bottom