• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Brawl outsell Halo 3 ?

Spellman

Smash Ace
This theory has been disproven on nearly every page of this thread.

Facts such as no hardcore Wii games are selling, which shows who the Wii is selling to, the global sales of the 360 and Wii are nearly the same, far more 360 games are selling than Wii games, the fact that only 1/3 of 360 owners have Halo 3 (5 million in two weeks is still record breaking, before you decide to use that as an argument) regardless of the massive hype... Hype Brawl can't possibly match.
Well, you can't prove something that hasn't happened yet. So proof is non existent.
There has been plenty of evidence of what's to come however, from both sides. But neither of the sides of evidence debunk each other yet.

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
I said I disproved the theory.

However, you can disprove things that haven't happened yet by showing evidence that proves it won't happen at all. That's what fact-based speculation is about, really.

Spellman

Smash Ace
I said I disproved the theory.

However, you can disprove things that haven't happened yet by showing evidence that proves it won't happen at all. That's what fact-based speculation is about, really.
O.K.
To a certain extent, you can disprove certain things. Like, if I said President Abe Lincoln will kill President Bush, and you disproved by saying: "Abe Lincoln is nothing more than the soil of the earth right now." That's true, I guess.

But evidence like that has not been shown yet. All it has been is statistics. And sales figures are very fickle. How is Sony in last place (in sales) this generation when they were in first for so long? And how did Wii jump to the top?

It is very tough to predict sales figures, and I don't believe any of the evidence so far disproves anything.

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
Uh, those things were predicted. The Wii being a hit and the PS3 basically flopping were predicted by industry analysts before their release, using facts.

Cless

Smash Champion
Everyone knew the PS3 was going to flop because no high profile games were coming out for it and it is way too expensive.

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
Everyone knew the PS3 was going to flop because no high profile games were coming out for it and it is way too expensive.
I would think that Brawl not being able to beat a game that had world record shattering sales would be pretty obvious too.

Apparently not.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Actually no, most sales analysts actually predicted the opposite with PS3 being on top and Wii being low. Usually, these people just look at past sales figures and/or biased. Really, I can't remember who predicted the Wii would come out on top until way in the Wii's life.

. . . .only 1/3 of Xbox owners got Halo 3? I thought it would be higher. . . .anyways, it depends on how much Wii outsells Sbox360. If it outsells the competition like most consoles who win the console wars (wins by a large margin), it might do it. If the Xbox is even somewhat close, then probably not.

At least Brawl has much more hype than Melee ever had. =P

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
I saw a lot of analysts predicting the Wii's success and laughing at the PS3's insane prices, myself. I did see a few doing the opposite, thinking that the Wii's attempts to appeal to non-gamers would turn off everyone else, and that the PS3's features would make up for it's price in the eyes of the consumer.

Maybe we were looking at different sites, but that's what I remember.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I still don't believe Brawl is getting hype.

At least not getting it from other areas besides its namesake

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Everyone asks for a back up argument whenever someone says Halo 3 will outsell Brawl, but yet everyone's post is just like "Brawl will outsell Halo, yet they provide no back up for the statement. I've been points and shown facts numerous times as to why Brawl won't outsell Halo, anyone care to debate me on specific details such as the ones I mentioned besides " zomgz brawl iz like so much cooler than teh gaylo, it will sell better"

And to the person who said to wait to find out if Brawl will have leaderboards and voice chat...... It's already confirmed that it doesnt have either. There's not even a voice chat system on the Wii!

Spellman

Smash Ace
Uh, those things were predicted. The Wii being a hit and the PS3 basically flopping were predicted by industry analysts before their release, using facts.
Well of course, but there were still more sides to that particular argument as well. Just one of them eventually ended up being right. So many people thought the Wii Remote was a joke. So many people heard Wii and thought "=fail". Just so you know I'm not just making stuff up without doing my research...

Analyst predicts 360 to stay on top, PSP to take the lead thru 2007

UBS lead game analyst, Mike Wallace, offered his predictions for the next two years in US hardware sales. Wallace believes that Microsoft's early start will pay off, and despite only selling 607,000 units in 2005, the Xbox 360 creator will resolve its manufacturing issues and move roughly 4 million units by the end of the year. By contrast, the USB analyst predicts that the PlayStation 3 and Revolution will sell only 1 million units apiece by the end of 2006.

And looking further into the future, Wallace forecasts that the early lead will continue to pay off for Microsoft, predicting in excess of 10 million Xbox 360s sold, compared to roughly 7 million PS3s sold, through 2007. He added that the installed user base of the Revolution should top 3 million by that time. By 2010, Wallace estimates that a combined 52 million next-gen units will have been sold.

Similar to predictions expressed in the SIG report, Wallace sees PSP sales—spurred by a price cut—surpassing DS sales by 5 million units in 2007. However, the analyst does believe that the GBA will maintain its lead in the portable market through the end of this year. Finally, Wallace foresees the combined installed user base of PSPs & DSs climbing to 43 million by the end of 2009. (link)
The majority of this prediction shows statistics aimed towards debunking any chance that the Wii (The Revolution) and PS3 have of passing the Xbox 360. Also makes mention of the PSP. Since this factual article was produced, this analysts predictions were wrong. Only thing is that none of this article, nor Wallace himself claims that this is proof. (something that important wouldn't have been omitted.)

Um, but the point of all that is that some sales analysts made predictions that in the future turned out to be wrong even though there was plenty of factual evidence at the time. Brawl hasn't even come out yet, so there will be no proof for a long time.

Predictions and opinions are welcome, but proclaiming the truth without definitive evidence doesn't hold a lot of ground.

S2

Smash Lord
At first you wouldn't think so, but actually Brawl might be able to do it.

First let me state that Brawl has almost zero chance of outselling Halo 3 in North America.

The hype was too huge. MS paid way too much money into Halo's ad campaigns.

But the thing about Halo is that it doesn't have any appeal in Japan. Which means that Brawl has an entire extra territory on it.

Brawl is going to sell great worldwide. Halo 3 is only going to capture 2 of 3 territories. Also, if Wii trends continue, there will be more Wii's than 360's in homes... another good thing for Brawl's sales.

That being said, its up in the air.

Brawl could do it. Just depends on how well the Wii does in the coming 2 years. Because Brawl will sell tons of copies, but like all games is ultimately limited to the install base.

Cless

Smash Champion
A lot of people in Japan have Wiis for like Wii Fit and stuff. Miyamoto says as much when he commented on TP's poor sales in Japan.

Spellman

Smash Ace
Everyone asks for a back up argument whenever someone says Halo 3 will outsell Brawl, but yet everyone's post is just like "Brawl will outsell Halo, yet they provide no back up for the statement. I've been points and shown facts numerous times as to why Brawl won't outsell Halo, anyone care to debate me on specific details such as the ones I mentioned besides " zomgz brawl iz like so much cooler than teh gaylo, it will sell better"

And to the person who said to wait to find out if Brawl will have leaderboards and voice chat...... It's already confirmed that it doesnt have either. There's not even a voice chat system on the Wii!
I said everything I needed to say at the start of this thread and I didn't think I needed to repeat myself...

• The Wii has had the most sales to date.
  • Melee did incredible on the console with the least sales.
  • Brawl is one of a kind and has little to no competition within it's genre for this generation.
  • Ignorant consumers who are looking for online play will pick up things with online play without looking into details.
  • There are people who love Mario, and people who love Link. This game will appeal to people who like all the franchises individually.
  • Dojo has an insurmountable amount of hits daily. (although, I don't know where THIS stat came from)
  • And lastly, this may be the reason more hxc gamers decide to buy a Wii. Not all of them will be convinced because of certain minor "problems" with the game, some people might be downright disappointed altogether. But unless there is an influx of people returning the game and people buying the pre-used game, I can't see that having any effect.

That is all.

Smash Ace
yeah, Brawl will outsell HALO3. nuff said. (actually spellman did it all)
=2007=

121DL3Y

Smash Cadet
People in America seem to love Halo for whatever reason...the only problem...OTHER COUNTRIES DON'T! Brawl is going to own Halo 3 in sales! Its got sooo many more countries behind it. Does anyone in Japan even own a 360? :laugh: Also I work at Toys R Us Times Square and the amount of people coming looking for a Wii greatly surpass the people looking for a 360. MAYBE because everyone already has a 360 that wants one...but also I've gotten more questions about Super Smash Bros Brawl than Halo 3.

ChiefOnionSauce

Smash Cadet
I don't know if this has already been said, but...

Over thanksgiving I went to my brotha's apartment where his room is a Halo 3 shrine... Anyways I played with him as a guest on XBox Live, and I distinctly remember there's a world map that shows EVERYBODY that's on xbox live at the time. I was only there for two days, but the spread was like, 2 in Japan, 1 in Australia, 1 in South Africa, several in Mexico/South America, and then I estimate ~50 in Europe. North America was freakin' lit up by all the blue dots. Mostly California and the east coast. Florida, New York, and I think New Jersey had the most.

I know this doesn't say much about sales because that was only the people who played it online, but I think because Halo3 did poorly in global sales, Brawl will be able to sale more in Japan (and maybe Europe) where Halo 3 didn't. Then maybe Brawl will outsell Halo 3... Maybe not at first, but just like the Wii and the X360, it will gradually overtake Halo 3.

And besides, have you seen those Japanese XBox 360 commercials(HERE and HERE)??? Everything you see in those ads are irrelavent to the 360 itself!! If I was a nihonjin and just saw that, I'd stay away from the 360... .

KrystalRules

Smash Lord
heres why i dont think it will out sell it.
i think there are more guys who play video games(no affence(sp?) to girls) and they all want games like madden or even oblivian or fable. the wii doesnt have those types of games per se. most people would might even prefer the simple game controls. now because of that reason there will be more xbox's sold and in result of that i will say more halo 3's sold. but in every game per system sold i believe it will out sell halo 3. really i think everyone who has a wii will get that game(i know alot oof xbox owners who hate halo)

pirkid

Smash Lord
IF your considering Brawl in Asia as well, maybe.

I've always been a supporter of Brawl out-selling Halo. But think about it. Halo can get updates. Like those 3 stages we just got.

That alone ***** Stage Creator and Rotation.

Then the fanbase for Halo is huge. Books, a possible movie.

We're all biased against/for Brawl because we love it so much, we know all the facts, we pick apart everything that comes out of Sakurai's fingers.

But Halo, is phenomenal. Think of how many people are playing it right now. (Or after school, whatever.)

And also, the Xbox vs. the Wii comes up. Even though Wii has more sales, Xbox has more of a fanbase for their games. And most games that would buy Smash have Xbox as well.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
I said everything I needed to say at the start of this thread and I didn't think I needed to repeat myself...

• The Wii has had the most sales to date.
  • Melee did incredible on the console with the least sales.
  • Brawl is one of a kind and has little to no competition within it's genre for this generation.
  • Ignorant consumers who are looking for online play will pick up things with online play without looking into details.
  • There are people who love Mario, and people who love Link. This game will appeal to people who like all the franchises individually.
  • Dojo has an insurmountable amount of hits daily. (although, I don't know where THIS stat came from)
  • And lastly, this may be the reason more hxc gamers decide to buy a Wii. Not all of them will be convinced because of certain minor "problems" with the game, some people might be downright disappointed altogether. But unless there is an influx of people returning the game and people buying the pre-used game, I can't see that having any effect.

That is all.

1) It has been discussed how console sales don't have a direct influence on game sales. 360 has less sales, but sells more games and arcade games than the Wii.

2) Melee sold 6 million copies in 6 years on a console that sold over 20 million consoles. Which is exactly what the Wii's best selling game (Zelda) is doing by being the best selling game with only 1/3 of it's consoles owners buying it. HALF of 360 owners went out and bought Halo 3 already within a few months. One THIRD of Wii owners own Zelda after just over a year.

3) True it does not have much competition for it's genre, but then again, why did Melee only sell 6 million in 6 years when there was nearly no competition of ANY game on ther Cube?

4) We all love our classic chracters, but it's not like every Kirby fan, and every Zelda fan, every Mario fan, etc go after Smash. The general public would rather have a fun online multiplayer FPS over a game with a bunch of Nintendo's all stars. I'd actually rsather have both. Unless.... we combine them and create an online FPS with all Nintendo characters? OK, maybe not... :(

5)I'm sure it does, seeing as how everyone looking forward to Smash checks the website every weekday and refreshes a bunch of time while they're waiting for the update.

6) I agree that many players will buy a Wii just for Brawl. With the addition of Zelda, that's the whole reason I bought one.

Mama

Smash Ace
I think its a definite possibility. If Melee is anything to go by, Brawl will be selling strong for many years to come and catch up to Halo eventually. Its possible that it may even pass it up. Since the Wii is selling so well and Brawl is Mario related, the game is bound to reach many casuals and new comers to the series. Its likely.

Why pick Halo 3 though? Its certainly not the highest selling game in the world.

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
Why pick Halo 3 though? Its certainly not the highest selling game in the world.
HAHAHA

You must be joking :/ Oh, and for the billionth time, people aren't going to stop buying Halo. People will continue buying Halo in the same respect that people will continue buying Brawl, and I'm pretty sure sales for Halo will continue to be stronger.

Halo isn't quickly forgotten like everyone seems to think it is.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
I think its a definite possibility. If Melee is anything to go by, Brawl will be selling strong for many years to come and catch up to Halo eventually. Its possible that it may even pass it up. Since the Wii is selling so well and Brawl is Mario related, the game is bound to reach many casuals and new comers to the series. Its likely.

It's currently the best selling game ever and has broken many game selling records.

Unless you mean total, such as Super Mario Bros or Tetris from over 20 years ago.

Are you saying Brawl has horrible online, because really it doesn't.
By today's standards, or even the standards of 2 years ago, the Wii in general has bad online.

Brawler1432

Smash Lord
Yet Brawl has good online compared to what the Wii has given us thus far, I mean it has a chatting system no matter if it is only three phrases, and anyone who says "But you have to be their friend to do that" is just admitting that they are to lazy to put in a few friends codes. And why don't you ask your self, would u rather have had a pretty bad "Wi Fi Connection" post on the Dojo or a "Sorry no online on this game " update.

brandutt845

Smash Apprentice
EDreams, I've been reading through a few pages here, and I agree with some of your points, but lemme just ask you a quick question: Do you believe that Brawl will EVENTUALLY catch up to Halo's sales since it's very popular worldwide? And which one do you think will sell longer?

I personally think that Brawl sales might last longer but I dont think it will sell higher on the first day. That would be crazy.

Psydon

Smash Journeyman
I think that in the end Brawl will sell more than Halo 3, but it certainly won't have nearly as successful a launch.

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
EDreams, I've been reading through a few pages here, and I agree with some of your points, but lemme just ask you a quick question: Do you believe that Brawl will EVENTUALLY catch up to Halo's sales since it's very popular worldwide? And which one do you think will sell longer?
Brawl will undoubtedly sell over 6 million copies eventually, and by eventually, I mean a few years after release and a lot quicker than Melee. But I don't think it'll ever beat Halo... I have no doubts that when Brawl reaches 6 million sold, Halo will still be ahead.

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
Brawl will undoubtedly sell over 6 million copies eventually, and by eventually, I mean a few years after release and a lot quicker than Melee. But I don't think it'll ever beat Halo... I have no doubts that when Brawl reaches 6 million sold, Halo will still be ahead.
did you know that currently NINTENDOGS is selling more than halo 3?
Its true check the current sales!

halo 3 is already not selling that well!
________
Harley-Davidson FLSTC

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
did you know that currently NINTENDOGS is selling more than halo 3?
Its true check the current sales!

halo 3 is already not selling that well!
You can't seriously be using this as an argument.

You just can't.

(jkk)

Smash Cadet
This is how i see it. Wii has out sold xbox360 and not every kid that has a 360 has halo3 because it is not for all ages. Brawl how ever is has a wider rage of people that would enjoy playing it and will most likely be bought by most wii owners sooner or later. Because of this I feel that brawl will out sell halo3 in the long run.

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
why not? I don't even have nintendogs.(which by the way has been out for 120 weeks)
Because
- It's a very very casual game, unlike Brawl or Halo
- It's made to appeal to everyone who likes dogs, certainly unlike Brawl or Halo... And there's a lot of people who like dogs, amazingly enough
- It's for all ages, and I mean *all* ages, unlike Brawl (T) and definitely unlike Halo.
- It was packaged with the DS at one point, which makes it more like Wii Sports, which is also selling quite a bit as a result
- It's a well-done virtual pet, which are a very popular casual genre... Much more far-reaching than either FPSes or fighting games.

It's like claiming that Halo 3 doesn't stand a chance because Wii Play is selling better.

SkarmoryDarkPulse

Smash Rookie
heres my speculation on this topic, for one thing Brawl and Halo 3 are two entirely different games and do not need to be compared, but since it obviously is, i am going to give it to you straight, money wise Halo will completely dominate, a 360 game is usually 60 bucks and guess what? Halo 3s price was 60! so that means for every 5 copies Halo 3 sold Brawl will have to sell 6, thats not including the other two editions of halo 3, one costing 70 and the other edition costing like 100 (Sorry Halo fanboys, if i got the prices wrong), Even if you look at it from copies sold I dont think Brawl will surpass it, i read that on the release day Halo 3 sold enough to make more than the opening gross of Spiderman 3, which is one of the movies that made more money than any others in history, The only hope that brawl will sell more is if the Halo 3 fanboys have dried up their well and everyone who wants it has it. pretty much everyone in love with master chief has a 360, yet the wii (due to the holidays) is selling like hotcakes, Brawl could still win the battle if the wii outsells the 360 by a substantial amount, Brawl COULD do it, but over time, its not gunna happen right away.

Spellman

Smash Ace
Yet Brawl has good online compared to what the Wii has given us thus far, I mean it has a chatting system no matter if it is only three phrases, and anyone who says "But you have to be their friend to do that" is just admitting that they are to lazy to put in a few friends codes. And why don't you ask your self, would u rather have had a pretty bad "Wi Fi Connection" post on the Dojo or a "Sorry no online on this game " update.
Just so you know, I have no problem with the online. :ohwell: It's features are limited by relative comparison (even the DS has had a little more functionality), but I have no problem with it.

A lot of people are upset about the online play, and gamers who play online games probably won't feel the same kind of satisfaction having no ranking boards or no means to burn the other player verbally. For some people, communication is the sole purpose for playing an online game.

But just having net play on Brawl is more than enough for me. It opens the biggest door, that's for sure.

Top Bottom