• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Brawl outsell Halo 3 ?

Cless

Smash Champion
Well, you know, a rational person would use logic and deduce a reason as to why something would happen, such as Brawl outselling Halo 3 or vice versa, but this being the internet and all, it's expecting too much I suppose.

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
You're hilarious, I will put your jokes on the back of the next frosted flakes.
Tell Tony the Tiger to watch the **** out.

I always wanted a hero who walked around in a bulletproof vest without a shirt on underneath.
I'm going to assume your joking, but at the same time I'd like to point out that game quality isn't completely determined by what or who you play as. Look at Kingdom Hearts. (lol that was both a compliment AND a stab! **** im good)

This is a smash site and almost everyone would agree that Brawl will outsell Halo.
That's pretty closed minded. Being able to have conversation and making comparisons to other games is wat helps us form new thoughts. Don't come here and start saying nonsense like this, please.

And if you've been watching the market, seeing tends, and considering sales, I think you'd think slightly different.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
2x the people in the world have a xbox 360 the na wi lol and like for every 1000 xboxs 900 of them have halo 3.
launch day of halo 3 sold SOOO many copies like wow.

Brawl will come close and i wish it could pass halo 3 but ... eh.

BRAWL 4 life baby!!!!

(jkk)

Smash Cadet
tetris for the game boy sold over 30 million copies. this is because game boy sold the most units out of any other consol. Wii is out selling xbox360 so it will has a chance of beating halo3. Wii sports all though is actualy leading with about 11 millioin copies, but that comes with the wii every were but japan. After 1 year I can safley say that ssbb out beats halo3. Brawl has a bigger rage of fans then a game like Halo3. As my father says "Its a shoot'em up game". Your *** is grass Microsoft.

Cless

Smash Champion
The Wii isn't outselling the 360 by any significant margin. Wii Sports has also been out for a year, and it's packed in with Wiis, and Wii Play people only buy for the Wiimote. Halo's been out for a couple months.

A better game to compare it to would be Twilight Princess, which has sold about 3.5 million copies on the Wii, and sold poorly in Japan.

In spite of the game's success in America and Europe, Miyamoto has publicly expressed disappointment at Twilight Princess' modest sales in Japan. The reason, he believes:
"Well, I think a lot of people who bought the Wii are not necessarily the types of people who are interested in playing that kind of game. And a lot of the people who would want to play it [due to chronic shortages of the console] can't find a Wii! But mostly, I think it's that there are fewer and fewer people who are interested in playing a big role-playing game like Zelda."

Take that into consideration as well. Now Brawl may not be a big adventure game like Zelda, but it definitely isn't near as casual as most Wii titles.

King_Dedede

Smash Cadet
your calling ME a fanboy??

I played halo 3 co-op, beat it on heroic, beat the first 4 levels on legendary. I played multiplayer all night. and guess what? I'm bored of it. Its not that great of a game, and only deserves about an 8.75. Iv had melee since it came out and I'm STILL not bored of it.

yes it sold a lot, but thats because there are so many halo fanboys in America. when brawl comes out it will sell great all around the world, and not just in America.
amen, bruda, amen

Bajef8

Smash Ace
The Wii isn't outselling the 360 by any significant margin. Wii Sports has also been out for a year, and it's packed in with Wiis, and Wii Play people only buy for the Wiimote. Halo's been out for a couple months.

A better game to compare it to would be Twilight Princess, which has sold about 3.5 million copies on the Wii, and sold poorly in Japan.

In spite of the game's success in America and Europe, Miyamoto has publicly expressed disappointment at Twilight Princess' modest sales in Japan. The reason, he believes:
"Well, I think a lot of people who bought the Wii are not necessarily the types of people who are interested in playing that kind of game. And a lot of the people who would want to play it [due to chronic shortages of the console] can't find a Wii! But mostly, I think it's that there are fewer and fewer people who are interested in playing a big role-playing game like Zelda."

Take that into consideration as well. Now Brawl may not be a big adventure game like Zelda, but it definitely isn't near as casual as most Wii titles.
oh it's a significant margin huh? the xbox 360 has been out for almost a year longer than the wii and guess what. the wii has sold more units even though the xbox 360 got a year head start. how is that not a significant margin?

Cless

Smash Champion
Because the number of units sold are about equal? I didn't say the Wii didn't sell more rapidly. Actually, the way I said it made it appear like that, so I apologize.

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
It's amazing how many people come into a debate, don't read any of the previous points, and then just repeat the exact same ones that have already been disproven on every page.

Shuma

Smash Hero
I don't think Smash could outsell halo, Halo has 3 kinds of fans.

The fans that know it's a great shooter, like me.

The idiotic fans that would follow Halo to hell itself, just because it's "halo".

The Competitive Online players.

Halo's fanbase is giganourmous. And infinite, oh yes.

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
It's amazing how many people come into a debate, don't read any of the previous points, and then just repeat the exact same ones that have already been disproven on every page.
Hmmm for some reason that seems kind of familiar, hmm could it be that YOU POST THE SAME EXACT THING ON EVERY PAGE and so far you have proven nothing. YOU CAN'T PROVE that halo 3 will sell better, SSBB hasn't even come out yet. All you ever say is "oh you guys don't even know what hype is" and "If you say brawl will sell better your a raving fanboy!". you also ignore any good evidence given by the brawl supporters. Just because I support brawl does not mean I'm an extremely biased fanboy. The only people who are very biased are the ones that go "OMG ROFL BRAWL/HALO 3 WILL SO SELL BETTER ROFL LOLOLOL".

I know I said I wasn't coming back but the main reason I came back was to apologize to chi. It was commonyoshi that posted those things, not you, sorry. I'm sure you love smash just as much as the next SWF member.

On another note, if your complaining that brawl doesn't have enough hype, go out and make some hype! Tell your friends to spread the word, make posters, put up signs, wear brawl clothing. If you really think hype is that important why aren't you out doing those things?
________
vapir no2

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
I've disproven every bit of evidence I've been given, as has Chi. Proving that Halo 3 will sell better by showing factual evidence towards that chance isn't somehow wrong... It's called fact-based speculation, which I have been doing. I support Brawl, a point you seem to be missing again and again and again.

Oh, and the "OMG ROFL BRAWL/HALO 3 WILL SO SELL BETTER ROFL LOLOLOL" thing is a real mature debate tactic. Go you.

Desruprot

Smash Lord
Nice Sarcasm (for anyone who could not read it)...Thanks to E3 I have had knowledge that there are more Wii's out there then Xbox360, which means a high poltenial...I am back in the debate again...yay? although on a side-note I am fairly open to the otherside's argument, eventhough they have a fan base, I sense after Halo Wars, there may not be many Halo games, meaning the Fan Base may stop (unless the music comes out)...even still everything has to end, the Pirates of the Caribbean fanbase has lessened greatly, as have the Star Wars since the release of their last movie...

Cless

Smash Champion
As of Q3,
360 - 13.4 million
Wii - 14.15 million

I don't think that is a significant amount given the large amount of casuals that bought Wiis.

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
We've considered. Console sales =/= game sales.

Most of the Wii's audience are very casual.

Cless

Smash Champion
No, it's not. It may be a million and some now, but as of that report, it's only 750,000 more.

We've considered. Console sales =/= game sales.

Most of the Wii's audience are very casual.
It's fine, I like arguing the same points over and over again. /sarcasm

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
I think the reasoning of "because it is a more casual audience" doesn't really hold as much water as you think. The winning consoles always have the most "casual" audience because they are always the majority of the audience. The Wii might have gotten some new people into videogames, but to think that the majority of them is someone who doesn't play videogames at all seems abit far reaching.

Cless

Smash Champion

This is with a difference of only 750,000 systems sold.

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
I think the reasoning of "because it is a more casual audience" doesn't really hold as much water as you think. The winning consoles always have the most "casual" audience because they are always the majority of the audience. The Wii might have gotten some new people into videogames, but to think that the majority of them is someone who doesn't play videogames at all seems abit far reaching.
OK, since I also like repeating the same arguments:

Twilight Princess is the best selling non-Sports/Play game on the Wii. Twilight Princess, as you surely know, was also a GC game. What you may not know is that Twilight Princess's sales are still terrible to the point of comments from Nintendo themselves.

Conclusion? The only game getting anywhere on the Wii is the one that comes with the system. Even Galaxy's sales leave a lot to be desired.

Desruprot

Smash Lord
How exactly is that related to brawl, I was aware of TP's bad sales, I do not even have it for GC, anyways, the point is with my argument (cough* Repeat Cough*) is that Brawl has a high poltential to sell more then Halo 3, due to more systems are sold, in addition it being hard to get a Wii at the current moment...

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
It proves that hardcore games on the Wii aren't selling. The one that's selling the best isn't selling well at all, and it's even a non-exclusive to boot. If those games aren't selling, for whatever reason, why would Brawl? There's no massive difference that would cause even 1/3 of Wii owners to decide to get it.

I still doubt 1/3 of Wii owners even know about it >_>

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Yes, we have heard this arguement, but think about it. Let's assume 112 million PS2 owners were all "gamers." Let's also say that the other 40 million for the other systems were gamers, too.

Grand Theft Auto San Andreas sold 12 million while Halo 2 sold 11 million. Why did this happen if PS2 clearly had more sales and had all these "gamers?" Grand Theft Auto is definitely popular and the PS2 had more potential for sales, but somehow it didn't sell way over Halo. The reason is that alot of casuals bought PS2 along with gamers. Usually, it takes time for casuals to jump on board systems to which they like based on (usually) the most games and the price of said console. Wii. . . seems to have the price part down and people seem to buy it up for some kind of hype thing. As shown, console sales =/= game sales and that even though Grand Theft Auto is really popluar among the hardcore audience, it still did not sell better in terms of proportion as Halo did. That is because most of the PS2 audience was casual. The less sales, the more likely you have the hardcore audience. Casuals follow trends while hardcore people either buy more than one system or stick with their favorite system due to certain games that come out for their favorite system/systems.

Now, we know that Twilight Princess sold 5 million copies in a year while Halo 3 did in a few months. Obviously, Halo 3 is more popular. Did you also know that Twilight Princess is the third best selling Zelda game? Ocarina of Time in comparison sold 7 million and with 30 million N64, shouldn't it have been higher since "gamers" were buying N64s? Of course, this is with Gamecube sales too but that only furthers my point. This was also made for the Gamecube, but still didn't reach Ocarina of Time sales. It is just not as popular of a game it once was. I don't really think this "casual" audience is not that much of a reason for sales besides Japan where they have picked up on this "casual" trend in gaming (not to be confused with all casuals, but traditional games in Japan are not selling as well as they used to for all systems =\).

Definitely, console sales =/= game sales but this arguement of casual audience vs hardcore audience could be used for any winning generation console game sales/attachements vs other systems. Halo 3 will most likely win, but it will not be because of the "casual" audience the Wii is getting it will be that it is simply a more popular game.

I hope this makes sense, cause I think I might have muddled up somethings trying to explain other things.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
OK, since I also like repeating the same arguments:

Twilight Princess is the best selling non-Sports/Play game on the Wii. Twilight Princess, as you surely know, was also a GC game. What you may not know is that Twilight Princess's sales are still terrible to the point of comments from Nintendo themselves.

Conclusion? The only game getting anywhere on the Wii is the one that comes with the system. Even Galaxy's sales leave a lot to be desired.
Almost 4 million units sold...ya, I'd be crying right now if I was Nintendo. [sarcasm] That's about as much as Halo 3, even if Halo 3 has been out 10 months less, it had 10 times the hype. Wii Play has like 5 million units sold, which is more then the 360's best selling game Gears of War has sold. Brawl is like Halo and Gears of War combined for Nintendo, it is their MAKE OR BREAK GAME!

Brawl will outsell Halo 3, it's all but guarenteed. Since November, 360 sales have declined, and continue to do so, since Halo 3's hype is dying. The Wii's sales are rising, as are stock prices. Seriously, I've seen ads EVERYWHERE saying the Wii is the #1 most desired Christmas item. Yahoo, AOL, etc. Hell, I even saw a Toys'R US advertisement with Brawl on it! XD

Seriously, Brawl WILL PROBABLY OUTSELL HALO in time. The Wii will sell 30-40 million units by 2009, guarenteed. Brawl is their biggest game. Wiis are still hard to come by (which is while the sales aren't so high for Galaxy and TP, btw), and 360's are as easy as finding a communist in San Francisco (which is like, the easiest thing ever!). :laugh:

And NES, Halo 2 sold just over 9 million units. GTA III sold 15 million, GTA Vice City sold about 14 million, and GTA San Andreas sold around 13 million units. All those game's sales ***** Halo. *****! The PS2 sold better then the Xbox and GCN for a reason...it had better games. The PS2 sold 120 million units, the Xbox sold 25 million, and the GCN sold about 23 1/2 million.

O, and seeing as how Nintendo has began to have Brawl as their Halo and Gears of War combined since Sonic's confirmation, expect Brawl publicity and sales to be up. The 3 weeks during and after Sonic's confirmation I looked on like IGN, Gametrailers, Game Spot, etc. almost everyday, and Brawl was ALWAYS #1 most discussed. Like 6 days before Halo 3 was released, another game took #1. Brawl simply put will sell more in time, indefinitely, since the Wii is bound to win. How hard is it to buy a Wii now=??? Honestly, I know like 30 plus people who don't own Wiis who want one, but they are hard to come by.

I've gone to Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy ,etc. for diffrent stuff, and never saw a Wii in stock, and the one time I did, it was at Wal-Mart for like 10 Wiis, and there were like 50 people in line. I see like 20 360's at every game store or Super Store, and whatnot. I saw literally 50 PS3's at Best Buy everytime I go there, and no one even wants them. The fact is, if Nintendo continues producing Wiis at a faster rate, they will kill the PS3, and absolutely destroy the 360.

Look at GTA compared to Halo, and you get what I mean. GTA ***** HALO! *****! Also, look at Super Mario 64. It was the most hyped game of the 5th gen of gaming, and it sold the best. The PSx sold around 2 times more units then the N64, and the hype of SM64 sold the game, along with exellent reviews. Point is, Brawl has hype...fanmade hype. And the series has tons of fans. 6 million+, to be exact. Melee owned Halo 1, and Brawl will sell extremely well as well. Tons of times of when I flip through TV Channels and I see like stock business stuff, and I hear them say Invest in the Wii and DS more then anything else on any market, seriously.

The fact is, the Wii's sales will wipe the 360's out of the water, since judging by the last Xbox, there is a drought of games after Halo for Microsoft's last gaming system. If the Wii sales do as good as expected, or half as good as the DS, then expect Brawl to sell 8-10 million units. Seriously, it is the Wii's premieure advertising game, and their biggest game. Look at the Nintendo Fall Press Conference, and it was the most sought ought to be played game, along with the game that was covered the most. Brawl was played basically like 5 times more then any other game at E for All, and Brawl was easily the most discussed game of October. January and Febuary will be no diffrent, and possibly even March.

In the end, Brawl will sell a lot, and so will Halo. But over long periods time, you never truely do know what will happen. ;)

jay~B

Smash Journeyman
EDreams, u continue to visit my thread just to prove every little bit of support/evidence or anything else u want to call it,wrong
Yet u continue to say that u fully support brawl, if u do then how come u don't even have a speck of faith that brawl will outsell halo 3

Why do u continue to frequent this thread ?
This should be an arguement, were anyone can join, but ur just bursting people's bubbles
LET OTHERS AGREE TO DISAGREE!!!

Let me tell u now that i am gathering up info on speculations, predictions and when brawl does or doesn't beat halo 3, i will post my info here

What if im right, wanna make it interesting? I know i do, i'll bet u anything im right!

MRCRAWFISH

Smash Rookie
Halo 2 sold 2 mil more than Melee, Brawl will sell more, 75%, because of the new gamers, casual people, and resurrected fans, and don't forget new fans.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
You know what I really don't get?
People go to this site for Smash Bros but then all of a sudden are talking about Halo.
This is a smash site and almost everyone would agree that Brawl will outsell Halo.
I mean if you don't think that then just go to some halo site and don't post it here we don't want to hear that some people here will say that Halo 3 will outsell Brawl.
I personally think that Brawl will outsell Halo 3.
This is what I hate about fanboyism. We all LIKE Smash more than Halo, but that does NOT mean we have to think that nothing can outsell it. That's also the problem.... as you say that you don't want to hear that Halo 3 could outsell Brawl. You have a problem with hearing an opinion that disagrees with your own. I wish more people had the trait I have of being able to put bias aside. I can defend a game I don't like over a game I love in a specific category that I think it deserves to be the winner.

I know I said I wasn't coming back but the main reason I came back was to apologize to chi. It was commonyoshi that posted those things, not you, sorry. I'm sure you love smash just as much as the next SWF member.

On another note, if your complaining that brawl doesn't have enough hype, go out and make some hype! Tell your friends to spread the word, make posters, put up signs, wear brawl clothing. If you really think hype is that important why aren't you out doing those things?
Thank you for the appology.

I'm actually talking my 2 friends who are brothers into getting a Wii and Brawl. They have PS3 and 360, but don't care much for the PS3. They like Wii Sports and Melee a little even though they hated GC, but I'm creating some Brawl hype wherever I can.

Almost 4 million units sold...ya, I'd be crying right now if I was Nintendo. [sarcasm] That's about as much as Halo 3, even if Halo 3 has been out 10 months less, it had 10 times the hype. Wii Play has like 5 million units sold, which is more then the 360's best selling game Gears of War has sold. Brawl is like Halo and Gears of War combined for Nintendo, it is their MAKE OR BREAK GAME!
But being your best game for over a year, you should probably have more. Gears of War was out for about the same time, but with alternatives for its system, and it beats TP. Halo 3 beats them both and it has barely been out 2 and a half months.

Wii Play is a Wiimote with a disc thrown in as a bonus. It's a bundled package, so you can't count Wii Play and Sports.

EDreams, u continue to visit my thread just to prove every little bit of support/evidence or anything else u want to call it,wrong
Yet u continue to say that u fully support brawl, if u do then how come u don't even have a speck of faith that brawl will outsell halo 3
Not ANOTHER person that refers to a topic they started as "MY thread", as if it's their house and they complain oif the person comes over. Again, someone can support a game and agree that another game can outsell it. It's called putting narrow minded biases aside.

Brawl will outsell Halo 3, it's all but guarenteed. Since November, 360 sales have declined, and continue to do so, since Halo 3's hype is dying. The Wii's sales are rising, as are stock prices. Seriously, I've seen ads EVERYWHERE saying the Wii is the #1 most desired Christmas item. Yahoo, AOL, etc. Hell, I even saw a Toys'R US advertisement with Brawl on it! XD
I agree that Wii is the hottest Xmas item this season. Actually there's been articles that Wii's stock has hit it's peak and has stalled, eventually going down slightly. This doesn't mean much, but I''m just saying they aren't gonna go up for a lilttle. They also say PS3's stocks are begining to go up, no idea why though :(.

Look at GTA compared to Halo, and you get what I mean. GTA ***** HALO! *****! Also, look at Super Mario 64. It was the most hyped game of the 5th gen of gaming, and it sold the best. The PSx sold around 2 times more units then the N64, and the hype of SM64 sold the game, along with exellent reviews. Point is, Brawl has hype...fanmade hype. And the series has tons of fans. 6 million+, to be exact. Melee owned Halo 1, and Brawl will sell extremely well as well. Tons of times of when I flip through TV Channels and I see like stock business stuff, and I hear them say Invest in the Wii and DS more then anything else on any market, seriously.
Melee OWNED Halo 1? It sold 1 million more copies than it did. Pus you're tlaking about a sequel vs the first game. Let me give you these facts:

Halo 1 (5 million) vs Smash 1 (4.89 million)
Halo 2 (8 million) vs Smash 2 (6 million)

So looks like Halo has beaten Smash both times, and BOTH Smash games were already released about 2 weeks after Halo 1 even was. In both match-upd, The Halo game was out for a much shorter period and still beat out the Smash game.

Look at the Nintendo Fall Press Conference, and it was the most sought ought to be played game, along with the game that was covered the most. Brawl was played basically like 5 times more then any other game at E for All, and Brawl was easily the most discussed game of October. January and Febuary will be no diffrent, and possibly even March.
Yes, Brawl is hyped now, but it it's not as much as Halo 3's. When Halo 3 had it's online multiplayer demo, everyone was playing that, just as people were playing Brawl at E for All.

gamer8

Smash Lord
Brawl will outsell halo 3, most people are getting wii's just for super smash bros. brawl and super mario galaxy.

aruby14

Smash Apprentice
Most people who bought Wiis were casual gamers that are content with Sports and Play.
isnt that sad? I thought Wii was gonna be like so amazing and have the best FPS's and then i bought it and was so disapointed. I mean Zelda, Mario, Metroid, and Wario Ware were great but dont you see the Chain? All first party titles. Im holdin out for Smash and Mario Kart.
Oh and Halo 3 is fun online but i could sive a ghit about its sales and poor campaign. Brawl dominates next year. Just watch.

Top Bottom