• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Brawl outsell Halo 3 ?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
it wont take down halo 3s initial launch selling record. i rly doubt any game will for a long time. microsoft marketed the game way too well, and only halo 4 or something will top it (i dont even know if thats possible).

brawl will sell amazing on launch week but nintendo is unfortunately stupid at advertising and it wont sell as much as it could. it will probably be the biggest launch on the wii. in the long run though, its possible it could overtake halo 3, but it will be hard. for being the best seller though on wii could be tough... casual games like wii play (especially that one cause of the bundled controller) are selling like crazy nowadays. id like to see what has sold more, wii play in its first 3 months or halo 3 (since halo 3 has only been out for 3 months to be fair). unfortunately wii play was in high demand and they didnt have stock to keep up which hurt it sales, however it helps it still sell amazing to this day.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
it wont take down halo 3s initial launch selling record. i rly doubt any game will for a long time. microsoft marketed the game way too well, and only halo 4 or something will top it (i dont even know if thats possible).

brawl will sell amazing on launch week but nintendo is unfortunately stupid at advertising and it wont sell as much as it could. it will probably be the biggest launch on the wii. in the long run though, its possible it could overtake halo 3, but it will be hard. for being the best seller though on wii could be tough... casual games like wii play (especially that one cause of the bundled controller) are selling like crazy nowadays. id like to see what has sold more, wii play in its first 3 months or halo 3 (since halo 3 has only been out for 3 months to be fair). unfortunately wii play was in high demand and they didnt have stock to keep up which hurt it sales, however it helps it still sell amazing to this day.
I believe Wii Play and Halo 3 are about even, but I perosnally wouldn't count that, because everyone considers the bundle as a Wiimote with a crappy game included.

Cless

Smash Champion
Whatever, I don't know what sites are reputable so I'll just use Wikipedia since it seems to be well cited (wow, what a flawed reasoning).

As of September 30th, Wii Play has sold 6 millionish copies, so there's no way that it outsold Halo 3 in its first 3 months.

Anyone who is a gamer and has a Wii will buy Brawl. Most people who have a Wii in Japan will probably buy Brawl, so that's around 3 million, but the targeted demographic of the Wii, i.e. the people who think that Wii Sports and Wii Play are the greatest thing since sliced bread, I don't know how many of them will buy it. I'm not even sure that everyone in Japan will buy Brawl. I don't know why people in Japan are buying Wiis.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Whatever, I don't know what sites are reputable so I'll just use Wikipedia since it seems to be well cited (wow, what a flawed reasoning).

As of September 30th, Wii Play has sold 6 millionish copies, so there's no way that it outsold Halo 3 in its first 3 months.

Anyone who is a gamer and has a Wii will buy Brawl. Most people who have a Wii in Japan will probably buy Brawl, so that's around 3 million, but the targeted demographic of the Wii, i.e. the people who think that Wii Sports and Wii Play are the greatest thing since sliced bread, I don't know how many of them will buy it. I'm not even sure that everyone in Japan will buy Brawl. I don't know why people in Japan are buying Wiis.
We also assumed that everyone who owned a Wii would buy Zelda, and that didn't go so well.

Cless

Smash Champion
I said anyone who is a gamer and has a Wii will buy Brawl. I don't consider a lot of people who have Wiis gamers. I'm not making a distinction between hardcore and casual for this. Either you are a gamer or you aren't.

courte

Smash Lord

as of recent, the japanese government has taken a proactive stance on the state of it's people and their health. in short, they're being encouraged more and more to be active and healthy too the point that billy blanks has become somewhat of a 15 minutes of fame health idol/guru-- i kid you not

that and new dragon quest games needs for duel compatability :chuckle:

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
I said anyone who is a gamer and has a Wii will buy Brawl. I don't consider a lot of people who have Wiis gamers. I'm not making a distinction between hardcore and casual for this. Either you are a gamer or you aren't.
My mistake, I didnt see gamer at first.

Cless

Smash Champion
as of recent, the japanese government has taken a proactive stance on the state of it's people and their health. in short, they're being encouraged more and more to be active and healthy too the point that billy blanks has become somewhat of a 15 minutes of fame health idol/guru-- i kid you not

that and new dragon quest games needs for duel compatability :chuckle:
Oh man, DQ always sells in Japan. That game is like crack to them. The country literally stops when DQ games come out in Japan.

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
Huh. Guess I was wrong about Halo 1 destroying Melee, at least. I don't claim perfection.

I still doubt that will somehow cause Brawl to break the record Halo 3 set, but thanks for the correction.

"According to Microsoft, first-day sales of Halo 3 reached $170 million in the U.S., setting the record for highest gross of an entertainment product within 24 hours of its release."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_3#Sales

I've already pointed this out, as well as the US part of that sentence, multiple times. VGchartz isn't a reliable website.
Ok where did you get your reliable data from, and why is VGchartz not reliable?

Desruprot

Smash Lord
okkie..dokiee... I guess I may need to keep this fact in mind, There are more Wii's out there then XB360's so overall Brawl is likly to sell more for longer, afterall Halo stoped with Halo 3, SSBs will continue after this...

ValiantVernon

Smash Journeyman
brawl beating halo 3 in anything is like me beating a ******** kid on my SAT's its just stupid and mean. Dont rub it in the xbox fanboys faces that their games suck =). And who care about opening night sales ummm dur dur the wii was released way after the 360 and it has already beat the xbox 360 in sales the same will happen with brawl.
And to finish brawl ownz halo end of story if u are offended sry this is my opinion and i think its a good one !

Cless

Smash Champion
You people think too many people who bought the Wii are gamers. Not everyone bought the Wii because they like games.

Chari

Smash Apprentice
I think it will because the Wii is much more popular than the 360. Plus, a lot of people in the world play a lot of Melee , I bet so it could outsell it.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
brawl beating halo 3 in anything is like me beating a ******** kid on my SAT's its just stupid and mean. Dont rub it in the xbox fanboys faces that their games suck =). And who care about opening night sales ummm dur dur the wii was released way after the 360 and it has already beat the xbox 360 in sales the same will happen with brawl.
And to finish brawl ownz halo end of story if u are offended sry this is my opinion and i think its a good one !
We're all Nintendo fanboys here, but some of us can see the truth and don't think that Nintendo is this incredible powerhouse, and greatest creation in the world.

Their games suck? Halo 3, Gears of War, ShadowRun, PDZ, Oblivion, Crackdown, Bioshock, Lost Planet, and Dead Rising all say hi. Even with Zelda, my favorite series of all time, 360's library kills the Wii's.

Yes, I agree with you that Brawl owns Halo 3. I love smash, I don't like Halo. So obviously I like Brawl much more, but I can still admit that Halo is more popular than MSash and will sell a lot more.

FOR THE LAST TIME, SELLING MORE CONSOLE DOES NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH GAME SALES!! Why did Gears of War and Halo 3 (whch were out for a shorter time) out sell Zelda then? People buy more 360 games than Wii games.

So, Halo is more popular than Brawl, 360 owners buy more games than Wii owners, Halo had more hype. All three of these facts pretty much tell you that Halo will kill Brawl's sales.

Marthmaster92

Smash Champion
Stuck between a parallel dimension of code and you
Halo is more popular than brawl. i agree. halo sold more in the first 24 hours than any other game of all time.

but melee has a pretty big fanbase as well. and with many people looking forward to brawl, even just on SWF, word of mouth spreads very fast. It may not outsell it in the first day, but over time i believe it will beta halo 3. some halo fanboys even think that halo 2 was better than 3.

so my opinion, yes, it will outsell halo 3, but it'll take a little more time for it to do so.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Halo is more popular than brawl. i agree. halo sold more in the first 24 hours than any other game of all time.

but melee has a pretty big fanbase as well. and with many people looking forward to brawl, even just on SWF, word of mouth spreads very fast. It may not outsell it in the first day, but over time i believe it will beta halo 3. some halo fanboys even think that halo 2 was better than 3.

so my opinion, yes, it will outsell halo 3, but it'll take a little more time for it to do so.
I think toward the end of this generation, in like 4 years or so, Brawl may pass Halo 3. The thing is, it's hard for Brawl to already reach that high of a mark. Hell, Melee is barely surpassing Halo 3, and thats 6 years VS a few months. And part of that has to do with GC having no good alternative games, and the 360 has a huge library of great games.
If Brawl does meet Halo 3's sales at the end of the console generation, I think it's because Wii owners don't have as many good games, and buy Brawl, versus the 360 owners have a ton of good games and choose not to buy Halo because of all the alternatives.

courte

Smash Lord
I think toward the end of this generation, in like 4 years or so, Brawl may pass Halo 3. The thing is, it's hard for Brawl to already reach that high of a mark. Hell, Melee is barely surpassing Halo 3, and thats 6 years VS a few months. And part of that has to do with GC having no good alternative games, and the 360 has a huge library of great games.
If Brawl does meet Halo 3's sales at the end of the console generation, I think it's because Wii owners don't have as many good games, and buy Brawl, versus the 360 owners have a ton of good games and choose not to buy Halo because of all the alternatives.
360 has just as many sh i t ty games as they do great ones and SO many more average ones

it's a fps market

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
True that 360 has just as many bad games, but what makes the difference is they have more good games. Just like how PS3 has just as many bad games as the otheres, but has NO good games, unless you want to count Resistance.

courte

Smash Lord
a game may be good, but the person still has to like it or at least it's genre and with the steroid-competitive nature of 360's online, i can think of a few people who would stray away what with kids pwning and cursing frats in halo, elitist pgr racers and another long list

im sure resistance is an excellent game, but what if you don't like fps or simply can't look at a screen. F-Zero GX is in nintendo's good library, but some people get seizure from looking at that speed or simply get nauseous

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
a game may be good, but the person still has to like it or at least it's genre

Thank you for proving my point. 360's games are more popular. Online play is more popular than single player. Online is more popular than regular multiplayer. Halo is A LOT more popular than Smash.

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
Their games suck? Halo 3, Gears of War, ShadowRun, PDZ, Oblivion, Crackdown, Bioshock, Lost Planet, and Dead Rising all say hi. Even with Zelda, my favorite series of all time, 360's library kills the Wii's.
hmm lets see, thats nine games:

5 of them are also out on PC (and I know that at least oblivion is better on PC)
Lost planet is boring(but thats just an opinion)
7 of them are shooters
shadow run has an average score of 6.6

now for the wii we have super mario galaxy, LoZTP, metroid prime 3, medal of honor heroes 2, resident evil 4, guitar hero 3, trauma center second opinion and trauma center new blood, battalion wars 2, warioware smooth moves, fire emblem radiant dawn, resident evil umbrella chronicles, super paper mario, and more that I can't think of right now.

also the xbox 360 had a years head-start on the wii.
________
Suzuki GS500E

Red Exodus

Smash Master
hmm lets see, thats nine games:

5 of them are also out on PC (and I know that at least oblivion is better on PC)
Lost planet is boring(but thats just an opinion)
7 of them are shooters
shadow run has an average score of 6.6

now for the wii we have super mario galaxy, LoZTP, metroid prime 3, medal of honor heroes 2, resident evil 4, guitar hero 3, trauma center second opinion and trauma center new blood, battalion wars 2, warioware smooth moves, fire emblem radiant dawn, resident evil umbrella chronicles, super paper mario, and more that I can't think of right now.

also the xbox 360 had a years head-start on the wii.
Fix'd. Besides, your logic is flawed, just because a game is also for PC doesn't mean it doesn't exist, it's still for Xbox and not for Wii. Honestly, I hate most of Wii's games because they're just minigame compilations and ports with motion sensing gimmicks attached.

I don't expect to get a proper response though, this is a Nintendo game forum, played by different people but mostly fanboys. Whenever I look through my magazine [EGM] I see different games for different systems and the most unimpressive ones are the Wii ones. I mean, come on, Sonic Olympics? I can't believe people were actually hyped for that heap, but then again anything with Sonic or Mario on it gets scooped up regardless.

Xbox and PS3 have the superior libraries by far, maybe when this gimmick phase is over devs will actually make games for Wii.

courte

Smash Lord
dont even know what to say to that... way to fix someone else's opinion to your liking--i've become disgusted with this thread; unsibscribed

PyroRyuken

Smash Ace
I think it will because the Wii is much more popular than the 360. Plus, a lot of people in the world play a lot of Melee , I bet so it could outsell it.
Thats a good point. Besides, Wii's are selling like crazy. I had to wake up at 4 in the morning to get 1 of the 14 copies sold at Kmart during the Thanksgiving weekend. Since so many people have it, there's a better chance that copies of brawl will be bought.

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
We're not discussing what games are better, we're discussing which factually sell more and are more hyped. Your (completely biased) opinions on what games are better aren't relevant to sales at all.

Cless

Smash Champion
Everyone realizes that a lot of people who have Wiis are casuals right? A lot of people who bought the 360 did so for Halo 3. A lot of people who bought Wiis did not do so for Brawl.

Sprigginz_Caldo

Smash Apprentice
Unless Nintendo decides to start putting more Wiis in circulation, Brawl will not sell more copies than Halo. I'm pretty darn sure that there are WAY more XBox 360s owned by consumers worldwide than there are Wiis. However, I'm certain that Brawl will be more popular on a global scale, but Halo will still have its boost in sales from people in the U.S.. Americans like shootin' stuff. Nuff sed.

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
Barely. They're so close to even, according to their own official numbers, that it's almost negligible.

And the system sales won't make a difference in the long run, as Chii has proven very effectively.

Magnacor

Smash Ace
Everyone realizes that a lot of people who have Wiis are casuals right? A lot of people who bought the 360 did so for Halo 3. A lot of people who bought Wiis did not do so for Brawl.
If by casuals you mean people who don't really play games (old people, moms trying to get excercise) that's a fairly small number. The media make it sound like the elderly homes are the only ones who play Wii (which turns off most "hardcore gamers") but, I've yet to see a 70 year old lady trying to get the high score on Wii Bowling.

Unless Nintendo decides to start putting more Wiis in circulation, Brawl will not sell more copies than Halo. I'm pretty darn sure that there are WAY more XBox 360s owned by consumers worldwide than there are Wiis. However, I'm certain that Brawl will be more popular on a global scale, but Halo will still have its boost in sales from people in the U.S.. Americans like shootin' stuff. Nuff sed.
There may be more Xbox 360's in circulation, but more Wii's are owned by people than Xbox's. But like you said, unless Nintendo a ton of Wii's to every store then there is no way Brawl will be able to match Halo's sales.

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
If by casuals you mean people who don't really play games (old people, moms trying to get excercise) that's a fairly small number. The media make it sound like the elderly homes are the only ones who play Wii (which turns off most "hardcore gamers") but, I've yet to see a 70 year old lady trying to get the high score on Wii Bowling.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Pzp8S_7yspM

Also, if it's such a small number, please explain the horrible sales of every game that isn't Sports and Play? Even Galaxy isn't doing too well.

Saor Gael

Smash Apprentice
I think Halo 3 will naturally sell more in a shorter period. After all, it's the most hyped game ever.

In the long run, though, I think Brawl will sell more. Much of the hype about Halo 3 is dying down already as people realize it's more like Halo 2.5.

If Melee is any indication, Brawl will continue to sell well seven years later.

Top Bottom