• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Brawl outsell Halo 3 ?

Tom-Sawyer

Smash Cadet
Considering the already huge success of the Wii, it definitely is possible, and quite possibly probable.

Super smash bros melee was the best selling gamecube game. I imagine brawl will be that to the wii.

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
if u find that Halo 3 is better then mayb u should go play it instead of being here, a real fan would say something like ''I really want it too but i don't think so''
Good job! You managed to read absolutely zero of my posts!

Especially all the ones where I emphasize that I don't care for Halo, don't own Halo, and don't own a 360. Or the one where I said I'd be pleasantly surprised. Or the ones where I said that I'm just stating sales facts, which show that it's not going to happen.

The whole "real fan" thing is lulzy anyway.

Considering the already huge success of the Wii, it definitely is possible, and quite possibly probable.
The global sales figures for the Wii and 360 are nearly the same, and Halo is much more popular and much more hyped. Brawl is barely being hyped outside of people who are already planning on buying it.

It's not probable.

Demoncannon

Smash Ace
well remember now, to keep halo fans happy the film is being worked on as we speak. Smash Bros will not get a film (off topic i know, but Microsoft only doing this because NO MORE HALO GAMES WILL BE MADE!!!! Smash Bros may still live on and grow better, kinda like DBZ games (but 10x better)

Gundo

Smash Apprentice
The Nintendo Wii has sold more units then Microsofts Xbox 360. Most, if not all, Xbox 360 users have bought Halo 3. Most, if not all, Nintendo Wii users will buy Super Smash Bros Brawl. Halo 3 was a costly $60 USD, compared to Super Smash Bros Brawl $50 USD.

In the end, yeah, I think SSBB will outsell Halo 3.

Magnacor

Smash Ace
The global sales figures for the Wii and 360 are nearly the same, and Halo is much more popular and much more hyped. Brawl is barely being hyped outside of people who are already planning on buying it.

It's not probable.
Brawl may be hyped more than you think. When i first heard about Brawl I was like, "Awsome, a new Super Smash Bros. Too bad no one I know likes it lol." Well i don't use "lol" outside of the internet, but you get the idea. Anyway, after a few months time I dicovered that more people than I originally thought liked the game. As of now, there is little hype for it, but when we get closer to the release date we may see at least a few more people anticipating the game. But, yeah. It's still not probable.

Dojo999

Smash Journeyman
There's evidence to say so, since the wii is selling like crazy worldwide, i'm fairly sure more than the 360. And I would consider Brawl to be the wii's halo 3, as in everyone owning the system must own it.

But the sales of Halo 3 broke american history. I just don;t know if Brawl is hyped enough to do that.

platnum

Smash Lord
it probably wont because halo 3 was so overhyped.it was actuley a good game.but brawl will be better.

Demoncannon

Smash Ace
yes it may have broken the AMERICAN sales history, but Brawl will break the JAPAN sales history and possibly the U.K sales history, just cause it broke one sales history doesn't mean anything the 360 was out years before the wii and yet the wii has out sold the 360 by over 500,000 consoles withing one year or two now... doesn't that say something?

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
yes it may have broken the AMERICAN sales history, but Brawl will break the JAPAN sales history and possibly the U.K sales history, just cause it broke one sales history doesn't mean anything the 360 was out years before the wii and yet the wii has out sold the 360 by over 500,000 consoles withing one year or two now... doesn't that say something?
Halo 3 sold 5 million copies WORLDWIDE in TWO WEEKS.

I'd appreciate if people would read the thread a bit more before replying.

I highly doubt all 500,000 owners of those consoles are getting Brawl.

Demoncannon

Smash Ace
well thats your word against mine... Dr. Kawashima brain train is still has sold more copies than Halo3 and that didnt get any hype at all

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
As much as I hated the Halo hype, and spoke so much about how much better Gears was than Halo during the online demo thing, I can't believe this arguments are so outrageous that I'm actually defending Halo.

The Nintendo Wii has sold more units then Microsofts Xbox 360. Most, if not all, Xbox 360 users have bought Halo 3. Most, if not all, Nintendo Wii users will buy Super Smash Bros Brawl. Halo 3 was a costly $60 USD, compared to Super Smash Bros Brawl $50 USD.

In the end, yeah, I think SSBB will outsell Halo 3.

"Most, if not all" LMAO. I am a 360 owner and didn't buy it. Actually, NOT EVEN HALF of 360 owners bought it. Get your numbers straight.

So $60 is costly, and $50 is just so perfect? It's 10 dollars, c'mon, don't make a price difference that small as a point that it would sell more. "WHOA GOOD THING BRAWL's NOT SUPER EXPENSIVE!!! THERE'S NO WAY I WOULD EVER BUY IT IF IT COST A WHOPPING 60 DOLLARS!! OH, IT'S ONLY 50? GOOD THING IT'S SO DARN AFFORDABLE, NOW I CAN GET IT"

well remember now, to keep halo fans happy the film is being worked on as we speak. Smash Bros will not get a film (off topic i know, but Microsoft only doing this because NO MORE HALO GAMES WILL BE MADE!!!! Smash Bros may still live on and grow better, kinda like DBZ games (but 10x better)
They're making a film because it's money, not because the series ended. Most of us on these forums breathe Smash 24/7, but Halo is still a more popular game. Almost all of us think Smash is better than it, but it's still a more popular game and is prefered by a majority.

Super smash bros melee was the best selling gamecube game. I imagine brawl will be that to the wii.
That doesn't mean much because the GC was a failure. Right now, excluding Wii SPorts (because it comes WITH the Wii) and Wii Play (that everyone bought for the Wiimote included, not the terrible 15 minute game), the Wii's best selling game is Zelda, which has sold a lot less in over a year, than Halo 3 has in a couple of months.

Brawler1432

Smash Lord
I say end this thread, not because Halo will beat brawl in sales, or that Brawl will outsell halo, but the games are completely different, they market to different kinds of people, and the hype might be higher or lower then Halos but it will be for a different reason if it does. Halo fans will be Halo fans, smash fans will be smash fans, fans of both, well u get the point.

pwnzorz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ABlackMage
3DS FC
0103-9129-9741
Does it matter? They're not competing. We shouldn't be competing. Trying to hold superiority over an entirely different successful series on another console is silly.
Agreed.

I like both of them, don't care if HALO 3 is "the best game evar" or "XBOX 360 pwnz Wii" and vice versa for brawl.(and Wii).

And this has been done before, i believe when halo 3 was about to come out and when it came out.

Desruprot

Smash Lord
Overall more Wii's have been sold then Xbox360 so overall I would say yes... The fact that Wii's are selling more is a fact, it is god hard to find one nowadays... overall SSBB should sell more then H3

sean09

Smash Rookie
I don't think its possible that any Wii could outsell Halo 3. I'm sorry. It just couldnt

Magnacor

Smash Ace
Overall more Wii's have been sold then Xbox360 so overall I would say yes... The fact that Wii's are selling more is a fact, it is god hard to find one nowadays... overall SSBB should sell more then H3
Yeah, I had to go to 3 stores to find one and that store only had two left. I was lucky to get one. I heard on Ebay they're going for over $300. The Wii is insanely popular and if Nintendo supplied stores properly, I bet Brawl would outsell Halo.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
You don't see any "Brawl vs Halo" topics because they would get anhilated by the the ravenous Halo fanyboys who are completely oblivious to any game without an M rating or made for Xbox. Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, and that upcoming Star Wars game should satisfy you if Brawl did flop (which it won't).
And that isn't happening here? See below.

In my opinion (my completly biased, Nintendo fanboy opinion lol) there are much more fun games to fall back on, on the Wii as opposed to the 360.
That's your opinion, but my opinion has very few games other than 1st parties listed as Wii games worth playing. Ps3 and Xbox 360 are on top, just because Wii is selling more doesn't mean it has instantly won or is the best choice, it just means that it's an easier target to scapegoat, especially with that gimmick functionality they call motion sensing.

I'm pretty sure if I compared my 360 list to your Wii list mine would be longer and have higher quality.

Desruprot

Smash Lord
But it does mean it has a higher chance of selling more overall, the totals are very different between them...Also Melee continually sold for like 5-10 years or something like that, imagine what brawl will be like....

Weed

Smash Lord
no way man, poor nintendo could never beat the amazingly epic storyline of halo that millions choose to indulge *eyeroll*

I love Halo, but I wish Brawl would do better, just to beat down Halo's overratedness*

*yeah, overratedness is a word now.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Well, here is how I see it.

The dojo, believe it or not, gets as much traffic as Walmart.com. That's right. Although it's not a fair comparision, the Halo 3 site at it's peak (the day of Halo 3 release) had ALMOST half of what Brawl has on average. Dojo has updates though and that is why it is constant, but the fact is, on average it has the traffic to compete with a massive retailer like Walmart.

Brawl has hype, there is not a doubt at all there.

Will it beat Halo 3?

Preorders: Doubtful.
Total Sales: Definitely possible. Wii is selling like hotcakes even after a year, and is the fastest selling game system of all time. Many people who buy it will get Brawl, because it's not a hardcore game like Metroid. Kids will play it at their friends house and get their parents to buy it.

Halo 2, which would be compared to Melee, has only sold about 1-2 million more copies than Melee, and Melee was on a console that was considered the least popular of the generation. Now you have the most popular console, with an epic game like Brawl, it certainly has a chance.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Well, here is how I see it.

The dojo, believe it or not, gets as much traffic as Walmart.com. That's right. Although it's not a fair comparision, the Halo 3 site at it's peak (the day of Halo 3 release) had ALMOST half of what Brawl has on average. Dojo has updates though and that is why it is constant, but the fact is, on average it has the traffic to compete with a massive retailer like Walmart.
There's no reason to compare traffic, obviously on the day of release hardly anyone would want to check out the site, they'd be either:

1)Busy camping in line

Or

2)Busy playing the game

You can't honestly tell me that if a copy of Brawl [and a Wii if you don't have one] fell into your lap you would even think about going to Dojo. I know I wouldn't.

W.Jr

Smash Lord
From my opinion i think brawl has a good chance at out selling Halo. One SSBM was their best seller from 2001 to 2007, so i think the brawl may be the wii . Also its able to play online, thats going to be huge hit.

Spellman

Smash Ace
There's no reason to compare traffic, obviously on the day of release hardly anyone would want to check out the site, they'd be either:

1)Busy camping in line

Or

2)Busy playing the game

You can't honestly tell me that if a copy of Brawl [and a Wii if you don't have one] fell into your lap you would even think about going to Dojo. I know I wouldn't.
Well honestly, if my internet went down for a few weeks after Brawl fell on my lap, it would be no skin off my back.

The Kirby Kong

Smash Journeyman
also remember that people (even halo fans) said that Halo 3 was a bit of a let down, it was only due to the multi player online system that got halo 3 all those copies sold so fast. Without it, it would have not sold much and Smash bros has a wider group of fans and will they know they wont be let down.
Heh, I have to disagree entirely. I'm a bit of a halo fan myself, but I thought that while the single player wrapped everything up nicely... the multiplayer is somehow just boring. It just doesn't compare to Halo 2, and doesn't even come close to Halo 1.

Great game, but poor poor multiplayer map design imo.

Magnacor

Smash Ace
That's your opinion, but my opinion has very few games other than 1st parties listed as Wii games worth playing. Ps3 and Xbox 360 are on top, just because Wii is selling more doesn't mean it has instantly won or is the best choice, it just means that it's an easier target to scapegoat, especially with that gimmick functionality they call motion sensing.
I never compared the three consoles or said which one was better. I told you my views on which one had better games. In my opinion, the Wii has better games and a larger variety of games to choose from. *gets dictionary* Let's see... ah, gimmick: "Something that attracts attention or publicity, e.g. a new technique or device" How is that a bad thing? As long as they use it well in most of their games, unlike the PS3, the motion-sensor is a great feature that adds fun to some games.

I'm pretty sure if I compared my 360 list to your Wii list mine would be longer and have higher quality.
Higher quality is a matter of opinion, but go ahead. Astound me with the length of your list of fantastic games for the 360.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Melee lasted me 5 years and seeing as how Brawl will have more characters, a buttload of items, an infinite number of stages, online mode, unlockable music, trophies, stickers, and an extensive single player mode.
Oh well congratulations on not realizing that most people aren't like you. I already said this. MOST people prefer Halo to Smash. That will reflect on game sales.
Halo has less levels, less weapons, no unlockables (to my knowledge), a single player mode and an online system that is slightly better then Brawl's.
Slightly better? Slightly? Ha!

Either way, your arguements are weak in that the two games are completely different genre. Brawl having more "levels" or stages mean nothing. I dont think you have a grasp of how big Halo's levels are compared to Brawl's stages. Weapons? Items in Smash suck. At least you have diversity in Halo's weapons. (of course, this is from my point of view. There's no real winner here.) Unless you're really bad at the game, you're probably going to unlock everything in three months. Once that happens, true gameplay is going to be the driving force, and once again, most people like Halo over Smash.
Halo has some good points, but not nearly enough to make it come close to lasting as long as Smash will.
For you and me, yes. For the general public, no.
Wat r u talking about, do u even know how much melee lasted, until today it is still gc's best seller.
That's really not saying much. :( I loved the GC, but there's no denying it wasn't spectacular.
There is people out there that don't know about brawl and who love playing melee, when brawl comes out thousands of SSB lovers will be like wtf? how come i didn't know! U have to consider that there is still people out there who follow brawl but don't know about dojo, or who just don't know brawl exists yet but if they did they would have no life until Feb. 10 like us!
So? How is this an arguement?

Halo 2 had to postpone its relase date for a couple of months because it couldn't match pre-orders and feared riots. Riots!

I love Smash and all, but that doesn't mean I'm going to let my fanboyism blind me.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Um... I'm not a fan of the Halo series. I've been playing Smash since it came out, and I'm still playing it. Regardless, I just dont think Brawl will be as much of a hit.

Also, the 360's life expectantcy is going to be for another 7 years or so, I believe. I just dont see the Wii lasting that long unless Nintendo pulls something big out of its pocket.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Also, the 360's life expectantcy is going to be for another 7 years or so, I believe.
No system has lasted that long. I don't believe it would last longer than 5 more years.
I just dont see the Wii lasting that long unless Nintendo pulls something big out of its pocket.
What about a newer better system XD?

hungrybum

Smash Journeyman
Oh well congratulations on not realizing that most people aren't like you. I already said this. MOST people prefer Halo to Smash. That will reflect on game sales.
Most AMERICAINS prefer Halo and it will affect AMERICAIN sales.
If we consider that Brawl will be as succeful then Melee (who has at least 3 games sold for 4 consoles) Brawl has great chances of outnumbering Halo, since Halo isn't that popular in Japan.

Don't underestimate Japan on the sales level!!!

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
5 million copies. Worldwide. Two weeks.

It did NOT just sell well in America. It broke records everywhere. And if Brawl can't match that kind of hype and publicity in America, it will not match it anywhere else.

Don't underestimate the rest of the world in global sales either.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
No system has lasted that long. I don't believe it would last longer than 5 more years.

What about a newer better system XD?
You're forgetting that current technology means different things. Just because systems in the past didn't last that long doesn't mean systems now wont. Didn't Sony claim the PS3 was going to last ten years? I wish I had a link to back up my statements, but I would have no idea what key worlds to Google. ^_^

And I would very much appreciate a newer console from Nintendo. I just cant see the Wii keeping up competitively or technologically in the long run.
Most AMERICAINS prefer Halo and it will affect AMERICAIN sales.
If we consider that Brawl will be as succeful then Melee (who has at least 3 games sold for 4 consoles) Brawl has great chances of outnumbering Halo, since Halo isn't that popular in Japan.

Don't underestimate Japan on the sales level!!!
Americans and Europeans perfer Halo. Japan, no offense, is one, small country compared to two continents.

Oh, and I think I've bought 3 Melee disks total. I'm so cool. :p

Top Bottom