• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I like just about everything about my Wii U. The only thing that disappoints me is the fact that its surround sound format (six-channel linear PCM audio) doesn't work on my Sony HT-SS370 5.1 system, which means I only get stereo when playing Sm4sh and Mario Kart 8. :(

finalark

SNORLAX
I don't know if you guys are watching today's Nintendo direct, but SMT x Fire Emblem got a substantial trailer with game play and Fatal Frame V was confirmed for a western release.

No, this is not an April Fools joke.

Here's the SMT x Fire Emblem trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fS24IxelBA

Given that this is Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem I was kind of hoping for something with much more grit to it. Although I'm really not that surprised they went with something that has a more cutesy and mainstream appeal to it. I want to say I feel a bit left down since I wasn't expecting something with a generic 2010s anime sort of feel, but it doesn't really matter because I'll probably buy it day 1 anyway.

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Neithe game is exactly gritty on the very surface, it's once you delve a little deeper you tend to see the seems of the world, and that's the point. You don't want to show off too much grit pre-launch, cause else-wise when it happens in the story it won't be interesting.

Dat Fatal Frame Tho! HPYE!!!

Minato

穏やかじゃない
SMT x FE didn't end up being what I expected. Game could still be really good though, but my excitement for it isn't as high.

finalark

SNORLAX
SMT x FE didn't end up being what I expected. Game could still be really good though, but my excitement for it isn't as high.
The trailer gives me the impression that someone at Nintendo noticed that Persona was really popular and said, "We need that on our consoles. Somebody go see if we can strike a deal with Atlus to make Persona 6 a Wii U exclusive." Somewhere along the line Fire Emblem got involved and this is the result.

I don't think it's going to be a bad game, and I am pretty excited to have a JRPG on my Wii U, but frankly speaking after years of silence its pretty underwhelming that the first real trailer we get makes the game look like any other JRPG that's come out in the last five years or so. There was a robot Pegasus in the trailer, and I think Tiki is an idol now or something. So I guess there's some Fire Emblem in there. Aside from the oddball enemy design I'm not really feeling SMT's "end-of-the-world occultism." It's more of Persona's "daily life of a Japanese teenager, also demons."

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I would've had no qualms with the trailer if the teaser hadn't given the exact opposite impression. :laugh: It looks good though to me, I'll definitely get it. Was hoping for more of the traditional SMT and FE battle system though, from what I can see the format of the battles and even the enemy designs seems quite Persona. Also, I fear that since it appears more like Persona there won't be much in regards to morality/decision; that's one of my favorite aspects of the main series.

Last edited:

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
I'm not somebody who gets motion sickness really, but the 200cc seemed really fast in the trailer. We'll see if its too much to handle this month I guess... lol

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
While in Target today browsing through video games I noticed that new copies of Super Smash Bros. Brawl don't have the blue circle that says "Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection" in the upper left hand corner. Has that portion of the game been removed from newer copies of the software itself? How about the instruction booklet?

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I'm not somebody who gets motion sickness really, but the 200cc seemed really fast in the trailer. We'll see if its too much to handle this month I guess... lol
200cc, Blue Falcon karts, Mute City only. The closest I'll get to F-Zero.

While in Target today browsing through video games I noticed that new copies of Super Smash Bros. Brawl don't have the blue circle that says "Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection" in the upper left hand corner. Has that portion of the game been removed from newer copies of the software itself? How about the instruction booklet?
They are still printing out new copies of the game? I thought production was over long ago.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
They are still printing out new copies of the game [Brawl]? I thought production was over long ago.
Yeah, shocking isn't it. Nintendo should probably be paying the Project M development team for helping to keep the game alive seven years after its initial release.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
So I just finished my first time with a WiiU (mine came prepackaged with both Nintendo Land and the obligatory Super Mario 3D World), and I have to say that I'm really enjoying the system. Nintendo Land, especially; that game is loads of fun to play.

Looks like I know what I want more of this Christmas... :p

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Just a word of advice to my fellow Smashers; if you're going to play SSBWiiU on-line invest in a LAN adapter. Even though I have an 802.11n router that sits within a meter of my WiiU my performance improved dramatically when I switched to a wired connection. Here's a good video of somebody sharing their impressions of Sm4sh on-line after upgrading to a LAN adapter from wireless.

The_Ghosty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_Ghosty
Anyone have any recent experience with powered hard drives on the Wii U? When looking at the FAQ on Nintendo's website I found mostly ancient models that are no longer in production and I can't seem to find too many non-USB powered hard drives on Amazon. Maybe I'm not searching the right terms lolol

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Official Wii/Wii U LAN Adapters are available again!

Nintendo LAN Adapter

This accessory is a must-have to get optimal performance when playing either Project M or Sm4sh on-line. It's compatible with both the original Wii and Wii U, and dramatically improves performance as it eliminates those pesky lag spikes caused by spurious WiFi signals from your neighbor's wireless router.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I don't think any thread I've ever made has lasted this long. :D Sorry for off topic but I've only started visiting this place again after a few years of relative inactivity.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I want to get Splatoon. Money's a bit of an issue at the moment, but I'm getting it in the future when they're going to patch in more features. I just don't need it right away.

Speaking about the threads, I was thinking about creating new ones (Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft) instead of splitting off the handhelds and to start fresh. It'll help make the stickied threads look less cluttered while I sticky a Rules thread. Not sure if people feel they'd like that or not.

If people are fine with that, it doesn't have to be me making each console thread. Someone can ask claiming a thread, and I can give the go ahead.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Speaking about the threads, I was thinking about creating new ones (Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft) instead of splitting off the handhelds and to start fresh. It'll help make the stickied threads look less cluttered while I sticky a Rules thread. Not sure if people feel they'd like that or not.

If people are fine with that, it doesn't have to be me making each console thread. Someone can ask claiming a thread, and I can give the go ahead.
I'd be okay with this. I feel like it would make the lighthouse easier to navigate and could reduce the number of redundant threads posted.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I want to get Splatoon. Money's a bit of an issue at the moment, but I'm getting it in the future when they're going to patch in more features. I just don't need it right away.

I think it makes sense. There is not much traffic on the stickies anyways so you might as well combine them by company. As you said, it will look better.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I'm always surprised at how many people still haven't played the GC version of Mario Kart - Double Dash. If you have a backwards compatible Wii there's really no good reason not to play one of the best entries in the series. This is especially true now that Nintendo is again making the wonderful GameCube controller readily available. If you want to play a Mario Kart game with progressive scan support and smart item distribution then I can't recommend Double Dash strongly enough.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I forgot to say I caved and ended up buying Splatoon. I had my Best Buy GCU and a 5 dollar rewards certificated, so it ended up being 45 after tax.

I have to say, totally worth it. Single player campaign is pretty fun. I was thinking I wasn't going to be playing multiplayer much. Playing with randoms didn't sound too fun, but I take that back. It's been really enjoyable. Having a selection of 2 stages for a certain period of the day and then switching to another 2 was a good idea regarding rotation. Keeps you adapting while letting it stay fresh.

I was worried I would be paying too much regarding the content at release, but I find it worth it now. Looking forward on seeing what else they'll end up adding.

finalark

SNORLAX
Okay, I really want to know, is Splatoon worth $60? I'm really, really on the fence on this one. It looks ridiculously fun and creative, but ever review I've read gives me the impression that it's a game that's flawed, but good. Can someone give me a fair evaluation of the game?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Okay, I really want to know, is Splatoon worth $60? I'm really, really on the fence on this one. It looks ridiculously fun and creative, but ever review I've read gives me the impression that it's a game that's flawed, but good. Can someone give me a fair evaluation of the game?
60 dollars is definitely a lot, but given the quality of the game itself, it's worth it. The content might not be like your average JRPG, but I'd say the content is on par with a typical non-Mario/Zelda Nintendo title (Pikmin). I haven't finished single player mode, but it's going to take several hours or so to finish from the looks of it. Learning curve is actually perfect for this game. After the first boss, the game actually requires thought and precision which is rather early and rare for recent Nintendo titles. Tutorial is handled perfectly. Game doesn't stop you to teach you things, it's more like Starfox 64 on how they teach you through dialogue boxes without pausing the game.

The game definitely gives off a Mario feel to me. It's like they mixed Mario Sunshine and Galaxy together and applied it to something new. Even the boss fights feel like they could fit in those games. Single player actually has some progression for your character. You can choose to upgrade weapons/abilities from the single player campaign, and you can find power ups in stages.

I've had fun playing multiplayer online. I've played by joining friends before but I wasn't expecting to have so much fun even with just strangers. At the moment, there's quite a bit of maps in rotation right now. Even playing the same two for an hour doesn't get boring. Plus, the more you play, the more you level up. It allows you to gain access to money and a bigger pool of equipment. Even if you put off on buying the game, you're still going to have to grind a bit just so you can experience more content at higher levels.

I haven't tried that 1v1 local multiplayer mode yet. While I know people wanted a full fleshed local mode, I'm quite fine with how it is. You can tell the game is suited for multiplayer battles, and they wanted people to focus on that.

When I heard the game will be adding content as it goes on, I was expecting the worse. Fortunately, it does feel like a completed game to me. I didn't feel like I paid for an unfinished game (which you see a lot of these days from companies). I really don't see any glaring flaws in this game. Game has good controls, graphics, good day 1 content (greater than something like Mario Party for sure).

The things you could pick at is that there could be more modes. However, I think it's good as it is. This is a lot for the first game of a new IP. If you have money to spare, I suggest getting it. If you're worried about content, they have stuff rolling out in the summer, so it's not even too far off.

Fuerzo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Erudites
Ugh, why is America getting Yoshi's Woolly World so much later than everyone else? :(

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Sales data's come in for Splatoon in Japan. Splatoon's doing rather well!
http://gematsu.com/2015/06/media-create-sales-52515-53115

Both it and the Wii U are ranked number for the week. Unfortunately that's still awful numbers for the Wii U.

I hear supply for Splatoon was also running low and I think the numbers don't include digital sales.
So good job Splatoon!

Last edited:

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Is anyone excited for Runbow? And who here will experience the title with nine players on the screen?

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Anyone here plans on getting Devil's Third in the Q4 of 2015?
I do. Since I tinker with game dev myself I actually like playing bad games, and seeing where they went wrong... and if it turns out to be good, then I have nothing to complain about there either.

finalark

SNORLAX
I do. Since I tinker with game dev myself I actually like playing bad games, and seeing where they went wrong... and if it turns out to be good, then I have nothing to complain about there either.
As someone who is also interested in game development (and likes to make and play homebrew tabletop games) I think it's more interesting to play games that are just kind of average. In a bad game is usually glaringly obvious what went wrong, but in an okay game its much more challenging to pick out what's holding the game back.

AfroGamerNinja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FluffyWarlock
Which seems ironic since user reviews in Amazon Japan seems to highly praise the game.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
As someone who is also interested in game development (and likes to make and play homebrew tabletop games) I think it's more interesting to play games that are just kind of average. In a bad game is usually glaringly obvious what went wrong, but in an okay game its much more challenging to pick out what's holding the game back.
It depends. Shoddy games are always boring, but a bad game can be bad despite good elements, or interesting ideas, trying to pull those apart and seeing if it was bad or unfinished ideas or poor implementation that held it back in each field gives you a lot of learning potential.

Most average games only have one of two real problems (and normally even then the camera takes one of those), and a lack of polish. It is interesting to try and figure out how to improve a game, but actually finding the problems is normally easier as they stand out against the otherwise competent backdrop.

Which seems ironic since user reviews in Amazon Japan seems to highly praise the game.
As I said, if it turns out to be good, then I'm not going to complain. But it's worth noting the Japanese Amazon reviews are mostly first time normal shooter players spurred on by Splatoon to try something else in the genre... My first jRPG was FFVIII and that's a bad game, but I still enjoyed it when I played it the first time. I have taken the movement based game play into consideration, and always thought it looked more Duke Nukem than CoD for when I do get hands on with it, but I still don't put much stock in the Amazon Japan reviews, especially as it's such early days and early reviewers are normally the most positive.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
It depends. Shoddy games are always boring, but a bad game can be bad despite good elements, or interesting ideas, trying to pull those apart and seeing if it was bad or unfinished ideas or poor implementation that held it back in each field gives you a lot of learning potential.

Most average games only have one of two real problems (and normally even then the camera takes one of those), and a lack of polish. It is interesting to try and figure out how to improve a game, but actually finding the problems is normally easier as they stand out against the otherwise competent backdrop.
I guess we're just at a disagreement in terminology. For me, "boring" and "bad" are interchangeable. Games were created to entertain, and if your game isn't entertaining then something has gone horribly wrong. I guess I personally get more out of games that I consider average, I.E an underwhelming, adequate time killer.

Although I think it is very important to play your share of bad and average games if you want to have an informed opinion. Anyone who considers (insert whatever LoZ disappointed you here) a terrible game has never really played a bad one IMO.

My first jRPG was FFVIII and that's a bad game, but I still enjoyed it when I played it the first time.
I'd call FFVIII different, flawed, but not bad in the slightest.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I guess we're just at a disagreement in terminology. For me, "boring" and "bad" are interchangeable. Games were created to entertain, and if your game isn't entertaining then something has gone horribly wrong. I guess I personally get more out of games that I consider average, I.E an underwhelming, adequate time killer.

Although I think it is very important to play your share of bad and average games if you want to have an informed opinion. Anyone who considers (insert whatever LoZ disappointed you here) a terrible game has never really played a bad one IMO.

I'd call FFVIII different, flawed, but not bad in the slightest.

To me bad means infuriating, boring means average. I mean, isn't calling something a time killer exactly the same as calling it boring...

A game that makes me feel no more or less entertained is average but to be bad it has to actively anger or annoy me. Thus my opinion of FFVIII, the game is fundamentally broken, understanding the game it becomes infuriating how easy it is, not understanding the game it becomes infuriating how much grinding and how stupid it is. It actively makes me annoyed playing that game, and even the story insults my intelligence... but at the time the fact it had a story was impressive and I was so blown away by the impressive set pieces that I ignored the bad parts. As I've said, bad games can have good elements, and FFVIII's set pieces are truly amazing, but I still think of it as a bad game.

But everyone has different opinions, and I respect that you may not be as aggrivated by things I am and vice versa, and that's the fun of games I guess, one man's Melee is another man's Bubsy...

That said I refute your example, I think anyone bringing up the CDi Zelda games are fair to call them bad games...

Top Bottom