• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

PKFreeze89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Scizor711
3DS FC
4742-5952-7792
I already have it on the Wii so I'm indifferent about it coming to the Wii U.
So do I. My crazy Zelda fan self is telling me to get it Day 1 but first I need to see if thats just a "lazy" upscaled HD port like KH 1.5 or a completely remake like Wind Waker HD, knowing Nintendo the second option is more likely.

I have both GC and Wii versions and I can definitely say those muddy graphics didn't age well, it was such a let down even for 2006 standards. The gameplay and side quests also need some changes, those damn bugs.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
So do I. My crazy Zelda fan self is telling me to get it Day 1 but first I need to see if thats just a "lazy" upscaled HD port like KH 1.5 or a completely remake like Wind Waker HD, knowing Nintendo the second option is more likely.

I have both GC and Wii versions and I can definitely say those muddy graphics didn't age well, it was such a let down even for 2006 standards. The gameplay and side quests also need some changes, those damn bugs.
Wind Waker isn't it a remake, it's another remaster. Remakes are games basically built from the ground up (Chain of Memories basically).

While Twilight Princess isn't my favorite 3D Zelda due to some issues I have with it, I really want to see an HD remaster happen. TWW got some really nice changes to help speed up the game, and I think it fixed all the issues I had with it that could be easily fixed. TP's going to need some new textures though and things to help improve the pace, then I'll be really happy.

PKFreeze89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Scizor711
3DS FC
4742-5952-7792
Wind Waker isn't it a remake, it's another remaster. Remakes are games basically built from the ground up (Chain of Memories basically).

While Twilight Princess isn't my favorite 3D Zelda due to some issues I have with it, I really want to see an HD remaster happen. TWW got some really nice changes to help speed up the game, and I think it fixed all the issues I had with it that could be easily fixed. TP's going to need some new textures though and things to help improve the pace, then I'll be really happy.
Wind Waker HD made me love the game, I completely hated the GC version when it came out. After Majora's Mask, my teen self was hoping for something similar or a sequel to that, those kiddie visuals were so unappealing, now I love them

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I'd like to see Twilight Princess HD happen. I enjoyed the original quite a bit, and hopefully they work on some of the pacing issues in the first half of the game and add in a Hero Mode or something for a challenge, those are the main things I feel hold back the game.

Improved resolution and textures are a given if it happens, and that's a good thing, the game really shows its age. A remastered soundtrack would be nice too, who knows if we'll get anything with that though.

So yeah, here's hoping it happens, the game would benefit from it greatly.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'd like to see Twilight Princess HD happen. I enjoyed the original quite a bit, and hopefully they work on some of the pacing issues in the first half of the game and add in a Hero Mode or something for a challenge, those are the main things I feel hold back the game.
Personally, I'd really like a way to skip the bug hunts. IMO even when you know where they all are its still time consuming and not fun.

PKFreeze89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Scizor711
3DS FC
4742-5952-7792
The Skultulla hunting in OoT and the stone fusion in MC were more time consuming than the TP bugs and if you don't talk to certain NPCs or don't kill the Skultullas in some locations and dungeons, you can't ever get them again and 100% the games.

They should make these side quests optional.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
The Skultulla hunt in OoT and the stone fusion in MC were more time consuming than the TP bugs and if you don't talk to certain NPCs or don't kill the Skultullas in some locations and dungeons, you can't ever get them again and 100% the games.

They should make these side quests optional.
Yeah, but at least you didn't have to do them if you didn't care about completing the game.

And by the bug hunt I'm not talking about Agatha's side quest. I'm talking about looking for the light bugs whenever you've entered a new Twilight-controlled area.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Personally, I'd really like a way to skip the bug hunts. IMO even when you know where they all are its still time consuming and not fun.
I can't imagine them cutting out the tears of light hunts completely, sadly, that's easily my least favorite part of the game. However, they could cut down the number we have to hunt in each place, I'd be happy with that.

PKFreeze89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Scizor711
3DS FC
4742-5952-7792
Yeah, but at least you didn't have to do them if you didn't care about completing the game.

And by the bug hunt I'm not talking about Agatha's side quest. I'm talking about looking for the light bugs whenever you've entered a new Twilight-controlled area.
If I remember correctly, in Minish Cap some piece of hearts can be only obtainable by fusing Kinstones.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Thank goodness for the Skulltula glitch in OoT (which was probably removed in 3DS). I'm sure it's not that bad if I wasn't lazy in memorizing where the Skulltulas were, but I can't be bothered with that on a replay.

PKFreeze89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Scizor711
3DS FC
4742-5952-7792
Thank goodness for the Skulltula glitch in OoT (which was probably removed in 3DS). I'm sure it's not that bad if I wasn't lazy in memorizing where the Skulltulas were, but I can't be bothered with that on a replay.
It doesn't work in OoT 3D.

They also fixed the glitches in MM3D like the Ikana shortcut, I didn't get the game yet but I only plan to get through that painful Great Bay Temple after the other three. I need to find a way to edit my save or something else to skip that ****.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Thoughts on Twilight Princess HD?
I love Twilight Princess, but I'm not too excited about the idea of it. At least not with the price point I'm expecting. I got Wind Waker HD for free with the Mario Kart 8 deal, and played through it, and while it was beautiful nothing about it could possibly justify that $50 price point.

They have to do something different with Twilight Princess HD to justify buying it. (Not saying they will.) Since it's pretty obvious it will be a remastered port like The Wind Waker HD and NOT a remake, there's only so much they can do. One thing is doing what Square-Enix did with the OSTs of Kingdom Hearts I and II in I.5 and II.5 - remaking the OSTs with live instruments. But I think Nintendo is too high on the idea of their decade old MIDI files being definitive (I LOVE TP's OST for what it is, but when you make what you call a remake, you MUST remake the OST). A lot of Twilight Princess's OST - such as Midna's theme, that incredible Hyrule Castle buildup theme, and the Hyrule Field theme is screaming to be orchestrated for real.

Even if they don't do that, which I'm sadly not expecting them to, they could at least include the Twilight Princess OST by CD in full with the game. As far as I can tell it was never released. Nintendo has been so stingy with their OSTs that it hurts. Releasing them by Club Nintendo as Platinum rewards and not even giving us the option to buy them... What are they thinking?! I would pay the full $50 up front if I got Twilight Princess remastered in HD AND the full OST.

I don't expect that either... I expect a The Wind Waker HD treatment in full... Just a remastered port with the same OST, and no bonuses worth crap for $50. Please don't do that, Nintendo.

finalark

SNORLAX
Fatal Frame V is out today. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get it until later because money but I'm downloading the demo right now for maximum hype.

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
I would love an HD Twilight Princess. I'd probably buy it day one. I just don't think we need it right now though. I mostly want the Wii U Zelda.

I understand if Nintendo did that just to hold us over for a bit longer, but seriously, I'm getting a little fed up with all these remasters.

PKFreeze89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Scizor711
3DS FC
4742-5952-7792
Is it because it's a game where you shoot things in first person?
I was trying to play the Prime Trilogy today and couldn't pass that part where you have to escape the facility after defeating Parasite Queen...

I've failed, three ****ing times. I'm not sure if I'll give Prime 2 and 3 a shot. I don't know if the problem are the motion controls or anything else, I'm not that bad with other FPS games.

finalark

SNORLAX
I was trying to play the Prime Trilogy today and couldn't pass that part where you have to escape the facility after defeating Parasite Queen...

I've failed, three ****ing times. I'm not sure if I'll give Prime 2 and 3 a shot. I don't know if the problem are the motion controls or anything else, I'm not that bad with other FPS games.
Prime's got weird controls compared to other shooters. Although really it's best not to think of it as a shooter and more as a Metroid game in first person.

I also suggest playing the GCN version, because LOLOL at those motion controls. I had no problem with Prime 3 back in 2007 but a few months ago when I went to revisit it I found them pretty awful.

I love the 2D Metroid games and Other M wasn't that bad.
Other M was pretty bad. Metroid shouldn't be a beat 'em up confined to a NES controller.

PKFreeze89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Scizor711
3DS FC
4742-5952-7792
Prime's got weird controls compared to other shooters. Although really it's best not to think of it as a shooter and more as a Metroid game in first person.

I also suggest playing the GCN version, because LOLOL at those motion controls. I had no problem with Prime 3 back in 2007 but a few months ago when I went to revisit it I found them pretty awful.

Other M was pretty bad. Metroid shouldn't be a beat 'em up confined to a NES controller.
Motion controls are the mainly reason why I almost skipped the Wii.

I hate Super Mario Galaxy (the first one), Skyward Sword and the Wii versions of Twilight Princess and Resident Evil 4 for the same reasons I hate Metroid Prime. Thank God Nintendo gave Xenoblade Chronicles, Brawl and MKWii classic controller support cause I can't imagine myself playing those games with Wiimote and Nunchuck.

As for Other M, the gameplay isn't that bad, the story and the cutscenes are a huge turnoff for Metroid fans and I completely get it lol Samus was so boring in that game, they gave her an completely different personality.

finalark

SNORLAX
You still shouldn't dismiss Prime due to a bad port. It would be like dismissing Majora's Mask because the GCN version is prone to crashing.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
*gasp* Someone speaks ill of the Prime series?! TORCH THE BLASPHEMER!!!

Nah, I'm joking.

I only failed the first time I attempted it because I took too long to figure out how to use the Grapple Beam. Even though I've never played the Trilogy version of the game(due to having the games on their original consoles), I'd be willing to cross out the motion controls as a culprit for your troubles because quite frankly, that part is EASY.

You still shouldn't dismiss Prime due to a bad port. It would be like dismissing Majora's Mask because the GCN version is prone to crashing.
This. They are fantastic games and well worth the time.

I'll probably skip over this one, much like WW HD. I have the originals, so I tend to overlook the HD remasters. Of course, if Nintendo improves the game in a significant way, I may reconsider my decision. There are games that Nintendo should remaster, but I'm not sure if this is one of them. We'll see.

zaiman12345

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theawesome4567
I would love an HD Twilight Princess. I'd probably buy it day one. I just don't think we need it right now though. I mostly want the Wii U Zelda.

I understand if Nintendo did that just to hold us over for a bit longer, but seriously, I'm getting a little fed up with all these remasters.
dude.
zelda wiiu is probably gonna be like TP's release. NX and Wii U.

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
dude.
I understand why people would think this, but at the same time, I find it very hard to believe.

I seriously doubt that the NX is going to be released next year. For starters, that would give the Wii U only four years of existence instead of the standard five and it doesn't make sense for Nintendo to give us details about the NX at next E3 and then release the system only a few months later. All that just seems like something Nintendo would not do, no matter how bad the Wii U is doing.

Also, we know that the game has been in development since early 2013, 2014 being the year they had something to show us, so the game has been in development for awhile. As such, it's most likely being built for the Wii U. Making an NX version would increase the amount of work they'd have to do and for a game as big as this, I doubt they'd even want to do that. Now, you could argue "Twilight Princess," but remember: that game came out at the very end of the GCN's lifespan and, in terms of power, the Wii wasn't radically different. It would have been easy to port the game over to the Wii and to top it off, they've already done that with a handful of other games, the only major differences being control. If the reports mean anything, it's probably safe to assume that the NX will be much different than the Wii U. Again, making an NX version would require a heckuva lot more work than simply porting it over.

Besides, if they were to release the NX next year as well as a version for it, not only would it make a ton of fans extremely mad, it would also rob the Wii U of its first original Zelda title, which is something that Nintendo has never done before and I don't see why they would they risk doing that now.

However, I think the main reason why it would be released next year (which not a lot of people think about BTW), is that 2016 marks the series 30th anniversary. I think it's pretty obvious that they wanna make this the best Zelda ever, so it would be perfect to celebrate a series milestone with a game like this. If anything, it's probably gonna be a Mario Maker situation.

But that's just my 2 cents. Make of it what you will.

PKFreeze89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Scizor711
3DS FC
4742-5952-7792
dude.
NX isn't coming until 2017 and Aonuma said on Famitsu that Zelda is still coming for Wii U, stop spreading wrong info.

TPHD must be something to celebrate the 30th anniversary, just like OoT3D in 2011.

PKFreeze89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Scizor711
3DS FC
4742-5952-7792
I understand why people would think this, but at the same time, I find it very hard to believe.

I seriously doubt that the NX is going to be released next year. For starters, that would give the Wii U only four years of existence instead of the standard five and it doesn't make sense for Nintendo to give us details about the NX at next E3 and then release the system only a few months later. All that just seems like something Nintendo would not do, no matter how bad the Wii U is doing.

Also, we know that the game has been in development since early 2013, 2014 being the year they had something to show us, so the game has been in development for awhile. As such, it's most likely being built for the Wii U. Making an NX version would increase the amount of work they'd have to do and for a game as big as this, I doubt they'd even want to do that. Now, you could argue "Twilight Princess," but remember: that game came out at the very end of the GCN's lifespan and, in terms of power, the Wii wasn't radically different. It would have been easy to port the game over to the Wii and to top it off, they've already done that with a handful of other games, the only major differences being control. If the reports mean anything, it's probably safe to assume that the NX will be much different than the Wii U. Again, making an NX version would require a heckuva lot more work than simply porting it over.

Besides, if they were to release the NX next year as well as a version for it, not only would it make a ton of fans extremely mad, it would also rob the Wii U of its first original Zelda title, which is something that Nintendo has never done before and I don't see why they would they risk doing that now.

However, I think the main reason why it would be released next year (which not a lot of people think about BTW), is that 2016 marks the series 30th anniversary. I think it's pretty obvious that they wanna make this the best Zelda ever, so it would be perfect to celebrate a series milestone with a game like this. If anything, it's probably gonna be a Mario Maker situation.

But that's just my 2 cents. Make of it what you will.
This, this, this.

If there's a company that plays by the books, it is Nintendo. Just because the Wii U isn't doing well, they won't cut it short and piss 10m potential NX buyers by dropping a new home console so fast. They didn't cut N64 and GC eras short so I don't know why people are saying they will kill off the Wii U next year.

Also, out of the big companies, Nintendo is the only one that makes a profit out of the consoles, it isn't a financial fiasco like online trolls pretend it to be.
Let's not forget they sold more than 100 million Wii's last gen so they're more than fine, Nintendo isn't Sega.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
A couple weeks ago it came to my attention that a Wii U emulator now exists. This really doesn’t surprise me much given how powerful high-end gaming PC’s have become. While I’m sure that this is creating much distress within Nintendo’s boardroom there are broader implications that I believe will ultimately affect the average console gamer.

There is no denying that the PC is becoming a dominant format for serious gaming. It’s to the point that consoles now serve as little more than gateways to what many of the video gaming cognoscenti refer to as “the master race”. I know it seems laughable to call the PC the master race of gaming but given how fast tech is evolving in that market one has to admit that the meme carries some validity. Moreover, with the price of high-end video cards dropping so quickly, a rig that can emulate Wii U graphics only costs about twice as much as the console itself and that price is dropping almost daily.

What does this mean for the future of Nintendo home consoles? We know that the Wii U’s successor is already in late development. The NX as its being called is supposed to be some sort of hybrid between a hand-held and traditional console. I’m not sure what that means exactly but one thing I do know – the NX better undercut the price of a graphically comparable PC by a wide margin. If it doesn’t then a financial incentive will exist to emulate its software almost immediately on the PC. When we account for Moore’s Law we know that the time it will take to emulate NX software on PC will be even shorter than it has been to emulate Wii U games. Hopefully Nintendo takes that in to account when structuring the whole marketing package for the NX.

finalark

SNORLAX
a rig that can emulate Wii U graphics only costs about twice as much as the console itself and that price is dropping almost daily.
This is the reason why PC gaming isn't as big as people say it is. I'd rather pay $300 for a console that will run everything with the right logo on the disc rather than $600 dollars for a computer that may or may not run everything I throw on it.

I payed $800 like an idiot for a desktop to play TES5 on when it came out. It wasn't long before games started coming out that it had a hard time running. Not to mention the damn thing died when my dog knocked it over. My PS3 I bought back in '08? That thing has seen some abuse but is still chugging seven years later.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
This is the reason why PC gaming isn't as big as people say it is. I'd rather pay $300 for a console that will run everything with the right logo on the disc rather than $600 dollars for a computer that may or may not run everything I throw on it.

I payed $800 like an idiot for a desktop to play TES5 on when it came out. It wasn't long before games started coming out that it had a hard time running. Not to mention the damn thing died when my dog knocked it over. My PS3 I bought back in '08? That thing has seen some abuse but is still chugging seven years later.
Weird we have opposite circumstances. I've been through 4 PS3s (this is number 5) since I got it (alongside the European release of Atelier Rorona whenever that was) and I'm already on PS4 no. 3, and yet the I've only had two PCs crap out on me, a '95 machine and my old laptop which came with ME (which I then upgraded to XP) which died last year. My Nintendo consoles work great (I don't have any of the home cartridge systems so ymmv), I mean I've killed one Wii, but that was Homebrew so I may have caused it, but my brother's launch Gameboy is still working so ya know, can't complain.. Also my PS2 has never had trouble, but now-a-days consoles are pretty frail and seem fraught with manufacture errors if any of my friends' experiences are anything to go by (I have a friend in double digits for PS4s). PCs to me are a way better investment, especially given PC games are normally around half the price at launch (buy them physical to save money, because that's somehow logical...) and Humble Bundle and Steam Sale's a thing so I easily make my money back in a year.

Of course everyone should buy what suits them, but I use my PC a lot so just for general purposes I'd want something way more than £200, and thus buying a £450 computer would save me money compared to getting a console and I'd get a better work machine out of it! (though I buy the consoles too for exclusives and I generally look more at the £600-800 range for PCs, and I'd be looking more at the £400 for my normal every day usage so I guess I only save money every once in a while).

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Weird we have opposite circumstances. I've been through 4 PS3s (this is number 5) since I got it (alongside the European release of Atelier Rorona whenever that was) and I'm already on PS4 no. 3, and yet the I've only had two PCs crap out on me, a '95 machine and my old laptop which came with ME (which I then upgraded to XP) which died last year. My Nintendo consoles work great (I don't have any of the home cartridge systems so ymmv), I mean I've killed one Wii, but that was Homebrew so I may have caused it, but my brother's launch Gameboy is still working so ya know, can't complain.. Also my PS2 has never had trouble, but now-a-days consoles are pretty frail and seem fraught with manufacture errors if any of my friends' experiences are anything to go by (I have a friend in double digits for PS4s).
I don't know, maybe consoles are just made of cheaper stuff over in Europe. I've never once had a single console crap out on me (and trust me, I have owned a ton of consoles, I've also sold and then later re-bought consoles with zero issues). The only problem I've ever had with my PS3 is that 40GB is not big enough in this day and age.

On the other hand, maybe PCs aren't made of sturdy stuff over here. Even my friends who are hardcore into PC gaming are constantly buying and replacing parts due to how frequently they break down. Even though I've never had issues with any consoles I've ever purchased I've gone through at least six PCs in the last six or seven years.

Last edited:

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I play either Smash 64 or Project M almost everyday on my original backwards compatible Wii so obviously I'm a fan of the console. Gotta admit, though, that the thought of building a high-end gaming PC appeals to me if for no other reason than taking my Smash 64 skills on-line to see how well I fare.

I own two games for my Wii U and I gotta admit that I'm a little disappointed with the system. Making matters worse is the fact that Pokken Tournament looks like the only other game I may want.

finalark

SNORLAX
I beat Fatal Frame V last night. I'm sad that this game is getting such a lukewarm reception from the press. I had a lot of fun with the game and really enjoyed it despite its flaws, which is certainly has.

Just wandering around the very atmospheric environments is a ton of fun in this game. I liked exploring and snapping pictures of phantoms ghosting about in the distance and finding items and neat locations. The camera mechanic is very well implemented and is used in very created and interesting ways. Combat is usually very fun, rewarding patience and smart playing. Interestingly, the game's emphasis on points (which can be spent on upgrading your camera or items) gives the game a nice arcadey feel that's unique for the horror genre.

Story side, I have less positive things to say but on the upside Mount Mikami is a fantastic setting with an incredibly engaging mystery that I genuinely wanted to know more about.

On the downside: Whoever thought of switching camera controls but keeping movement controls the same while the gamepade is held sideways should be kicked into a department where s/he has less influence. Unless you're very good at adapting to strange controls this means you will likely next take vertical pictures unless you have no plans to look around while you do so. Another control issue I had was that ZR is the do everything button. It points you in the right direction, picks up items and checks things out. Unfortunately, it doesn't always work and you'll find your character commenting on a bookshelf when you wanted to pick up an item, among other things.

I could write an entire book on what I don't like about the story, but I'll try to keep it short. If this was a book, I'd assume that early drafts were never workshops and that the editor wanted to get it out ASAP. There's a ton of subplots here and none of them get the right amount of attention. In many cases, this left me wondering what contrived reason I had to be back on this goddamn haunted mountain again and why I should care. It doesn't help that most of the cast have completely non-descript personalities. Yuri's character arc suffers from Take-Our-Word-For-It syndrome and Miu's entire personality is BRB GOTTA GO FIND MOM. Out of the three protagonists I liked Ren the best. He's not the deepest character, but his subplot ties deeply into the main plot, he comes off as the one person who is both competent and heroic and he does twice the amount of paranormal investigating than the two actual paranormal investigators.

Oh yeah, and that bad ending is incredibly stupid.

Top Bottom