• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

The Great Marth

Smash Lord
Here be a rumour that is rather neat. its final wii interface screens.i know its a link but there are too many screens to put up.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123761

AND HERE IS A REPORT OF A GROUP OF FOLK FROM LONDON PLAYING THE Wii FOR 2 HOURS TO SEE IF THIER ARMS GET TIRED.

Everyone else has played a Wii for around ten minutes in the UK, if at all. A handful of lucky journalists have got ten mins per title. Today, we can tell you what it's like after more than two hours of raw playing time, and that's what gamers everywhere need to know.

Hailed as the largest innovation in gaming history by some and as the biggest gimmick ever to strike the realm of console gaming by others, the Nintendo Wii is sure to top many gamers Christmas lists. The sexy, minimalist white box with its soft, blue glow around the disc port deserves a spot on any lounge TV unit, surely?

What we’ve been lacking up until now though has been lengthy play times on the Wii itself. Ten minutes at E3 2006 just doesn’t cut it. Will you get tired too quickly? Do you have to stand around or is it feasible to sit? Is waving the remote a fine art or is it just like waving a stick in a goldfish bowl and hoping to strike lucky? Finally Entertainmentwise's Kim Kaze is able to answer these and other pressing, REAL questions; after an extended, lengthy play test of four Wii launch titles at the UK offices of Nintendo themselves. No interruptions, no queue, no noise and advice from one of the QA Team to assist with game play questions. Also, this time there were controllers without wires of any kind. Who could ask for more?

We also got to hold a Wii unit in our hands and gain real perspective of how it’s going to feel to handle the unit itself and the literal size as it will be when we slot it into our lounge TV units at home.

First of all, it’s important to remind you that the Wii is selling on two very important and unique points:

1) It’s for everyone; the hardcore gaming nut through to grannies, girls and irregular gamers.

2) The remote which acts as the primary control device is utterly wireless and more than just a tilt sensor; every movement of the remote is detected in any fashion and relates to game play.

No other console either out now or set to launch this side of 2010 offers this. Coming close, Nintendo’s DS handheld has been used as inspiration for many of the Wii features relating to the casual gamer, but that’s where the similarities end.

Some gamers have shown concern that the activity level required to play Wii games, especially the sporty titles, may be too high. There are concerns that you have to stand for long periods of time and use body actions such as swinging your arm above your head or at the side of your body. After playing non stop for two hours, did this happen to me?

No. I’m not exactly Wonder woman in terms of fitness and I can assure you, as a regular player there was enough action to warrant perhaps making sure one has access to a tap before playing (you’re going to want a drink if you play for as long as we did!) and possibly ensuring plenty of moving around space in your living room. The key to the Wii control is that even the most active title on the launch line up, Wii Sports, doesn’t require you to make large body motions unless you want to. You can play it moving very little if you want, and some of the games can be played sitting down. I wouldn’t recommend trying golf sitting down, as this is a little tricky.

To test this, in terms of fitness we took along two regular gamers with average to low fitness and one gamer with ME/CFS. He was able to play for the two hour slot with only a fractional tiredness issue and was if anything, making the largest motions with the remote controller out of all three of us and owned at Wii tennis! If you have health related concerns that you or your friends and family suffer from a tiredness health problem, it’s not going to bar you from enjoying the Nintendo Wii. We’ve tested it now and after two hours, it’s safe to say that it’s possible to play on the Wii launch line up for two hours and not be dripping with sweat afterwards. Just remember that large body motions are not a requirement – they’re what players do to have fun with the game. Playing with smaller movements or sitting down is largely possible, doable and healthy.

The biggest shock we got on arrival was that not only is the Wii remote controller a truly remarkable tool, but the nunchuck controller also has a sensor inside, enabling it to be used in exactly the same way! When introduced to Wii Boxing, all a player has to do is hold a nunchuck in one hand and the Wii remote in the other and then move exactly as you would a boxer – lean back or side to side, blocking, jabbing, upper cutting etc. The Wii detects the movement of the nunchuck exactly the same way as it does your main remote. There’s no need to press buttons in this game, you simply move. This is truly an awesome innovation in gaming and not an experience you’d expect outside of the arcades. The QA guy on hand to talk us through the launch line up also informed us that there may be plans to invent shin remotes of some form to enable kicking in games in the future. As far as I am aware, this would definitely be a first in home entertainment, if not any entertainment!

During play in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, waving the nunchuck side to side quickly will perform a special sword attack which gets a crowd of enemies off your back. When you go fishing within the game, you use the nunchuck to ‘reel in’ your catch with a real, reeling motion. You don’t need a nunchuck for all the games though; on Wii Sports Boxing was the only title we needed it for and Excite Truck and Wario Ware didn’t require the use of it either.

The nunchuck itself is very light indeed, a lot smaller than it looks in the pictures and you almost forget at times that it’s in your hand at all! Giving you the thumbstick control as well as two buttons at the front of the nunchuck, the added factor that the nunchuck has a sensor inside and also acts like the main remote will is a massive bonus. We suggest that if you enjoy playing games with your friends, you purchase a nunchuck or two when you get your Wii.

Nintendo’s main Wii remote controller is the central feature of the Wii. The most talked about device quite possibly in the history of home console gaming, what did we make of using this thing to control all these different sorts of games for two hours straight? Practical or a gimmick?

It’s every independent journalist’s nightmare to sound like a hype generating machine; the very sight of hype sends us screaming for the hills. However, just sometimes there is hype well deserved. This is one such time. This controller, my friends, is to gaming what remote controllers were to TV sets. You have to play with this thing, and we’re convinced you’re going to love it. Really.

More than just a tilt sensor, if the entire beast makes one movement in any direction, or bends, twitches or turns then it will relate to the game you’re playing. All the games we played proved one thing to us over and over – the Wii is as versatile as a Swiss penknife. Holding a baseball bat is … well … like holding a real bat. If you pull it further back the angle of the bat on screen adjusts to suit. Swing it fast or at an angle and it will take this into account. Throwing the ball is similarly precise; though with ball throwing there are buttons to press which control the type of shot you do. In Wii Golf, you’ll discover that the remote picks up very accurately the power, angle and style of your swing. You are able to adjust whether you’re left or right handed in games so that left and right handed players can play together without one getting an advantage, or everyone having to use the same setting.

The Wii remote so far has been a tiltable steering wheel/handlebar (in Excite Truck), a balancing pole (Wario Ware), a fishing rod which you can pull up on and cast off with (Zelda), a bottle of champagne (Wario Ware), a boxing glove (Wii Sports), a golf club (Wii Sports), a baseball bat (Wii Sports), your hand (Wii Sports – Bowling & Wario Ware), a pen (Wario Ware), a sword (Zelda)….the list goes on and on, and these aren’t even all the games the Wii will launch with!

Whether you’re shaking a bottle of bubbly and taking your finger off the top at the right time to squirt people or you’re teeing up on the green, the Nintendo Wii remote is sensitive, versatile and feels natural after only a minute or so of gaming. Why would you ever go back to merely pressing buttons which are on or off, when the proportional and truly analogue element of your own body brings so much more satisfaction?

In terms of further details and a better breakdown of the games themselves, see our following articles, ‘The Wii according to Mat’ and ‘Jazz wants a Wii!’. Two of gaming’s most critical followers test the Wii for two hours and tell you what they think of the games and the experience.

The Wii unit itself has a very cool, flip-down side that covers the Game Cube four joy pad ports as well as the two Game Cube memory card slots. If you don’t ever want to use these ‘archaic’ devices, you need never seen them and the flip-down panels are not noticeable at all. If you do need them however, flip one or both of them down and access is yours. Discreet and sexy, it’s another thing about the physical Wii unit that’ll have gamers smiling.

Smiling. The Wii is about smiling gamers. I have seen the launch of many machines and gadgets, with expressions of surprise and admiration at graphics etc. But nothing comes close to this. No matter who you are and why you play games; you pick it up, you start smiling, even laughing straight away. The joy of gaming should be for everyone, and the Wii has brought joy to the face of every gamer I’ve seen touch it. Thanks, Nintendo. You’re brave enough to make fun once again the king of why we play games. Thank God someone thinks games should be fun before they’re anything else at all.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
See, now what would have been better ,is if you posted a screen or 2, then posted the link, then gave a brief thing saying "Journalists get to test the Wii to see if you get tired. The answer is ____
<Link>

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
listen, you're never going to be a mod. First of all, you keep asking. Learn the phrase "we'll call you".

second, why would posting information that a lot of people on this forum have already seen(I personally know at 99% of the stuff you post a day or two at least before you post it, and the other 1% is screenshots of games of never heard of or don't care about) make you a mod? Seriously, you're kinda slow. You act like you're the all-knowing all seeing god of the Wii, you post everything that's significant the instant it pops up. Well, no you don't. You miss things people care about(like the Wii preorders on friday) and alot of the time post pretty meaningless stuff.

THe two things you just posted-http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news?id=23483 is the link you didn't give-were written 4 days ago. I know it sounds very recent, but I'm sure a lot of people who actually care about interface screenscheck places like codenamerevolution.com, which i'm fairly sure you get alot of your stuff from, probably every other day, making your posts redundant.

Why isn't Aruun a mod since he started the topic?
In the artwork emporium I made MOASS, the Mother of All Sig Shacks. I took everyone who designed sigs, made a section for them, linked Every single sig they made(which numbered in the seventies for just one guy), and updated almost every week for like 5 months. Of course, the artwork emporium died then, but...I can guarentee I put way more time and effort into that thread than you do into this. and i'm not a mod.

Third, smashboards doesn't NEED any mods. What do mods do? THey close topics, merge redundant ones, warn/ban people, etc. I haven't seen any threads that need to be closed not get closed. Every redundant thread is either merged or closed. People who need to get banned or warned get banned or warned. No problems, and no need for new mods.

s

The Great Marth

Smash Lord
listen, you're never going to be a mod. First of all, you keep asking. Learn the phrase "we'll call you".
second, why would posting information that a lot of people on this forum have already seen(I personally know at 99% of the stuff you post a day or two at least before you post it, and the other 1% is screenshots of games of never heard of or don't care about) make you a mod?

Why isn't Aruun a mod since he started the topic?
In the artwork emporium I made MOASS, the Mother of All Sig Shacks. I took everyone who designed sigs, made a section for them, linked Every single sig they made(which numbered in the seventies for just one guy), and updated almost every week for like 5 months. Of course, the artwork emporium died then, but...I can guarentee I put way more time and effort into that thread than you do into this. and i'm not a mod.

Third, smashboards doesn't NEED any mods. What do mods do? THey close topics, merge redundant ones, warn/ban people, etc. I haven't seen any threads that need to be closed not get closed. Every redundant thread is either merged or closed. People who need to get banned or warned get banned or warned. No problems, and no need for new mods.
so im gonna be a mod right?

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
I've been saying it all along to my friends, and mentioned in that fighter essay i wrote a while ago.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=147690
What about one-to-one direct motion detection on the sword-play; why did you choose not to use direct motion sensing like Wii Baseball?

Campus-Oriola: Perfect one-to-one motion recognition can't be done. What's interesting about Wii Baseball is that you assume the exact position of the character on the screen, so it feels like one-to-one motion detection. But if you hold the pad down like this *demonstrates holding the Wii Remote low and upside-down* and you flick it slightly you will see your character take a normal swing - not real one-to-one detection. But what's really important is not whether it's one-to-one or not, but that the player has the feeling of his motions on screen.

Another reason why we're not doing one-to-one motion with the swordplay is that holding a Wii Remote in your hand does not give the feedback of a normal samurai sword - the weight, the rebound of clashing blades.

We used animations to simulate the weight of the sword and the effects of your blade hitting something. Also, if you give someone the Remote and they will typically hold it at arm's length and flail around. That's not good, so that's why we used animation.
ubisoft says it can't be done practically. I agree.

edit: can't believe i didn't see this.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=86742

*gleegasms*

Sensai

Smash Master
Man...you guys get rather harsh on these boards. Everyone, just relax. Take it easy.

Hell, I dunno...pretend you're Ghandi.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Holy crap. You guys are way to harsh on TGM. I know he seems sorta nooby and weird, but he gives me great information that I've never seen anyone else bring here. So what if he doesn't start a discussion? We can do that on our own. So what if he only posts links? That's what I like most. I doubt anyone here can right an article as good as actual journalists and reporters. And signature violations? I haven't seen a sig in one of his last ten or so posts. Sounds like an excuse to me.

Sorry for the rant, but I think theres a lot more people on this forum that need to be banned more than TGM.

Just something to chew on.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
You know why you no longer see his sig on any of his posts? Your signature is deactivated on all of your posts when you are banned.

And these harsh comments are too ironic.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
I personally know at 99% of the stuff you post a day or two at least before you post it.
THe difference is, I'm posting that because you obviously didn't read it, or if you did, you're trying to be funny and failing, and if you're not and you seriously believe that persistantly asking to be a mod when numerous mods have said you'll be a mod when pigs fly over the frozen wastelands of hell, then you are to be pitied rather than punished.

For your sake I hope it's the second case.

I'll gladly take a warning for that spam.

I have nothing personal against TGM. If it was anyone else posting the same content I'd say the same things to them. If I met TGM in real life I'd probably like him(maybe). He's enthusiastic, and wants to help people. Again, a maybe. SOmeone altruistic helps people for the sake of helping people, not to gain more power, although becoming a mod on a large forum which has no influence on anyhting in our lives is highly overrated.

I don't mind TGM posting stuff. For the people who don't know it, its interesting and helpful. BUt when he repeatedly points out what wonderful things he's doing and how he should be made a mod for them, then I get annoyed(even if he's joking at this point, that's almost more irritating).

MDZ

Smash Journeyman
Armstrong B.C Canada. It's in the Okanagan, so if
Though I wasn't able to preorder because my EB games store magically opened an hour and a half early, I'm not worried at all

http://crunchgear.com/2006/10/11/nintendo-doubles-wii-launch-units

Nintendo has announced that they will now be shipping out 2 million Nintendo Wii units on launch day instead of the previously announced 1 million Wii units. This is really great news for gamers, parents and just about everyone who wants a Wii or wasn’t able to get their hands on a PS3. It also eliminates the process of camping outside of stores before launch day.

In case you don’t happen to get a Nintendo Wii on launch day, Nintendo has predicted that it will have 7-9 million Wii units in the 4th quarter, from October to December. Originally, Nintendo had announced it would have shipped 6 million Wii units by March 2007- it’s now looking more like 11 million units. A slap to Sony’s shortage? I think so.

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
Uhhh...Well, OK, then. ^_^;

I'm planning on pre-ordering one online as soon as I can--I really think you're either gonna have to camp out or pre-order to get one, because not a single console that I know of at launch hasn't sold out in the last while. Even if there's gonna be a lot, I really think it'll get all eaten up by the hard core people.

applejack

Smash Journeyman
This looks like a very tense thread.....remember Ghandi. Breathe and relax...
I live in a very empty area of gamers so I doubt getting a Wii will be too bad. Yay for camping!!
Off topic but how much has TP for GC been delayed? over a year I think.

Sensai

Smash Master
The TP for GC has been delayed to December. Not a year.

MDZ...I would take that information from that link that you posted with a grain of salt. It doesn't look entirely reliable.

But I really don't see finding a Wii to be very hard.

[Edit:]

A month and a day till launch.

applejack

Smash Journeyman
I meant since it's origenal (I always spell that wrong!) release date. I used to have reserve money in my wallet for it, every time I hear about the GC version it is getting delayed..

I thought it was only one million. Wow......raises the chances I guess.

smashman90

Smash Lord
What all VC games are you guys planning on getting? I know that I am at least going to get smash 64 and SMRPG, a lot of LOZ games, and I don't know how many Metroid games. It would depend on if they are doing old game boy games.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Super Metroid is easily the best side-scrolling Metroid game. It's arguably more fun than the Metroid Primes (arguably, but I'd rather not). The same goes for LoZ: A Link to the Past, but I already have that on GameBoy. Then there's, of course, SMRPG, and maybe if don't feel like pulling out my old NES, there's the original Mario games, and such. Hopefully, though, I'll be having too much fun with the actual Wii games to remember that SMRPG, Super Metroid, a Link to the Past, and all the classics pwn.

As to 2 million units on launch... Shouldn't that make the ritualistic camp-out unecessary? Oh well... I can speculate on that later (while I look up opening times on November 19th for either Best Buy or Wal Mart).

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
Phew, I finally finished the first post. It's very anti-56k, but so is everything nowadays, so modem users can just stuff it.

If I missed any important information or I have something incorrect there, please let me know.

Aiser

Smash Lord
Turtles in time, is the ****! I remember playing tha tback in the day with my friend on an early saturday morning pwning **** **** I love that game.

Sensai

Smash Master
I don't plan on doing much of anything til I dominate Twilight Princess. Someting like four years in the making, it's gotta be **** good, and I don't want anything to interfere.

But after that, I dunno. My NES, SNES, and 64 are all working perfectly, and I have most of the games that are worth having...haha.

ChumpMoney

Smash Lord
I gotta camp out the day before my birthday to get one cause i didnt preorder. bummer. atleast i have red steel and LoZ preordered in full

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Nice new topic title Aruun.

And you guys are talking about the virtual console. Have they even announced games that will be available launch day? *wanders to the first post to see*

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The only lists I can find for VC Launch titles are

1. Bonk's Adventure
2. Castlevania
3. Duck Hunt
4. Excitebike
5. F-Zero
6. Kid Icarus
7. Legend of Zelda, The
8. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
9. Mario Kart 64
10. Metroid
11. Mortal Kombat
12. New Adventure Island
13. Ninja Gaiden
14. OutRun
15. Pac-Man
16. Prince of Persia
17. Punch-Out!!
18. R-Type
19. Rayman 2
20. Sonic the Hedgehog
21. Star Fox
22. Super Mario 64
23. Super Mario Bros
24. Super Mario Kart
25. Super Mario World
26. Tecmo Bowl

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
I have to break into the topic to mention this: I have personally played on a Wii, and it was good.

It happened this weekend at the Digital Life Expo in NYC, which I was attending out of my affiliation with MLG. EA had a booth set up to showcase Madden 2k7 on several Wii dev kits (I know they're dev kits because of the "luigi green" faceplates) spread around the area. Normally, I would never play standard sports games, but I wasn't about to pass up my chance at the Wii. The best part was that there were no lines. You'd just stand behind one of the units and ask "Can I get next?" and voila, Wiimote in hand.

First thing I have to say, it's very comfortable. Just like all the other reports have been saying, you hold it and it just feels right. I was surprised by how small it actually is though; overall it was maybe the length from my wrist to the tip of my index finger, possibly a little less. The pointerwas a bit sporadic for me, however... but that may have been due to the odd censor bar location (on top, so you'd have to point above the booth TV to actually have it read), or maybe just some miscalibration (BACH, who was playing with me at the time, didn't seem to have any problems). Regardless, the other gyro functions worked perfectly. Punting, throwing, and running all dealt with specific hand motions, and from what I could tell they all worked wonderfully. The controls at first seemed a bit awkward, but they were easy enough to warm up to. I'm sure I would have had everything down given 5-10 more minutes of playtime.

And that's my impression. I much rather would have played something other than a football game, but I'll take the opportunities as they come. Unfortunately, being in NYC that weekend prevented me from getting a preorder for a Wii in :-/ . So I'll just have to wait for the second wave of preorders to open up.

Top Bottom