• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

applejack

Smash Journeyman
I didn't mean to preorder, I meant to go and buy the box and all.
You could probably just preorder online. But where is the fun and sense of community in that?
I may preorder as a last resort.....
quiero una Wii. I am taking Spanish class and that should say "I want a Wii." Just practicing in case I have to go to Mexico to buy one.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Of course it's not EASY to camp out at a store. That's why the people who do it get a system.

I did mention that it releases on a Sunday, right? Maybe for highschoolers, waking up early on a Sunday is somehow impossible, but for people who want a system, I'd still say it's your best bet, because preording a system doesn't actually guaruntee you a system on launch day.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
i doubt they'll sell out though....everybody remember the gamecube?

i got at WalMart 12 hours early...w/ a chair a gb....made sure i was guaranteed a cube...i was the first in line....
and after all that work..they still had cubes 3 days later.

and besides, aren't they shipping alot more wiis than they did cubes?

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Of course it's not EASY to camp out at a store. That's why the people who do it get a system.

I did mention that it releases on a Sunday, right? Maybe for highschoolers, waking up early on a Sunday is somehow impossible, but for people who want a system, I'd still say it's your best bet, because preording a system doesn't actually guaruntee you a system on launch day.
Ah ha. Thanks for that. If I end up missing a preorder (assuming that all 6 Gamestop-owned stores within 25 miles of me sell out before 4:00PM), then I may end up having some nerdy friends over and then driving out at dawn (or sleeping in our cars... whichever suits us).

Sensai

Smash Master
quiero una Wii. I am taking Spanish class and that should say "I want a Wii." Just practicing in case I have to go to Mexico to buy one.
That made me chuckle...

Now that I'm realizing that I could just buy the Wii at Walmart, like McFox said, I might just do that instead of pre-ordering.

But then I'd be too tired to play it once I got home. :-/

I'll just go to EB tomorrow and /preorder one.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace

Yes you did, I wasn't ignoring that fact (maybe others were), and it's a very valid point, but it's just that you're assuming it's a simple matter for every person who wants a Wii at launch to camp out all night in front of a store or in their car all night, or even get their at 4AM or 2 or whatever. And I don't know if you saw above where I pointed out that no matter where you live, that is still dangerous to one degree or another. You're making it sound like preordering will be less reliable than going to a store early, but with the number of units being shipped, I don't think either will be a problem.

kaid

Smash Master
Well, I walked in my local Gamestop to ask about the Wii preorder info... doring the temn minutes I was there, the employee had to answer phone calls about it twice, and complained that it's been like that all day and that I should try getting there around 5 in the morning. She also mentioned that that store would be getting around 25-26 Wiis in the initial shipment.

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^

There not allowed to say those things, actually. I went in to EB, and when I asked the guy how many PS3's he expected to get, he laughed in my face.

Then he said that if he was getting 3 times the amount he expected, he STILL wouldn't be able to fill all the pre-orders he had.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Well, I've reserved my copy of a Wii. It wasn't as crowded as I expected, only a total of 8 people showed up when the Gamestop opened. The manager said they only received 18 slots (orginally 16 due to employee reserves, but two got cancelled) so that means most Gamestop/EBgames will only get around 20 or so reserves depending on location/employee reserves. Needless to say, if you're reading this and haven't reserved, chances are you're not going to get one. :)

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
The only EB near me opens at 10. I didn't know what kind of a line to expect because I hadn't tried to preorder a console before, but the soonest I could get there was 9:30 anyway. I walked up and saw a couple of my friends waiting there; they said the employee had already come outside and taken names of people waiting. A minute later the employee came out and said he'd taken names for all thirteen expected units already.

I was the fourteenth person to show up. :cry:

I don't believe in luck, but if I did, that's exactly my brand of it right there. But my Wal*Mart plan is still feasible; and the employee said they'd be opening at midnight also, and that all kinds of things can happen, they can end up with more units than expected (but I already know that's a really fat chance), people can cancel the order because they can't pay, or can't pay for it at launch. All is not lost! :)

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
$%*@! I am so incredibly pissed off you have no idea. I went at nine and the gamestop dude said that not only were they all sold out, but pretty much everywhere in the country would be sold out by then. 1 hour after opening! ah... screw it. Anybody know if you can pre-order controllers or anything yet?

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
i reserved mine an hour after the store opened. both stores in the mall sold out with a combined total of 70 preorders. i was next to last. to whoever said not to worry about, i'm never taking advice from you again.

Sensai

Smash Master
I went to my EB games with my girlfriend (I dragged her along), and got there really early, expecting a bit of a line. Got there at 8.45 (it opens at 10), and there were 6 people ahead of me.

Stood in line, and it increased, gradually, to a total of ~20 people. Guy came out, said they only had 16, counted off, and said that everyone else would not be getting one.

I preordered it and Zelda. I assume those will be the only 2 things that MIGHT be hard to find.

And yes, you can preorder controllers.

But...I got mine!

[Edit:]

This is a link to the opinion of the editor of the popular magazine Famitsu concerning the next generation games.
http://wii.ign.com/articles/738/738886p1.html

I thought it was interesting...

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
I want out at about 3:40, expecting not to get one... and not surprisingly, I didn't. It's a chair and the parking lot of a Best Buy for me in about a month. Wiiiii. I may go back sometime and preorder a controller or two, but that shouldn't be a problem.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
i reserved mine an hour after the store opened. both stores in the mall sold out with a combined total of 70 preorders. i was next to last. to whoever said not to worry about, i'm never taking advice from you again.
Yeah... I think that was McFox, but I could be wrong. Maybe it's just because he kept saying you'll be able to get one at launch without preordering.

Sensai

Smash Master
I honestly do think that Zelda and the actual console will be the only hard things to find, if they're even that hard.

Legendary Kirby: They're going to be out. You're probably gonna have to get there at midnight to even stand a chance.

Zink

Smash Champion
OK, I'm going to try a preorder, but if not, not a real huge deal, as there's a ToysRUs and WalMart and others nearby. I already preordered Zelda and Excite Truck. That's what the smart people do. :)

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
You easily will. Fred Meyer, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Circuit City, Toys R US will all have them.
If 2 stores in the same mallwere both able to fill 35 preorders each within the hour of opening, i 'm sure that the at max 15 remaining units per store will go very quickly, and though there might be more people going to gamestop/eb games, they'll realize just like you that other stores have them, meaning it will probably be difficult to get one.

Zink said:
I already preordered Zelda and Excite Truck. That's what the smart people do.
Same, but replace Excite Truck with Red Steel. Strange as it is, I also reserved an extra-controller with nunchuk. I figured most people will buy at least one extra per system, not to mention the people who buy stuff ahead of time even if they don't get a system.

Really, there's no harm in preordering. It doesn't cost anything extra, and you have a much higher chance of getting the stuff than if you try to get there first.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
YOu finally decide to post something after like a year and its a blatant lie.

This ******* was in front of me in line. W/e. I'll get you after class monday. BY the loading bay. Chains, no blades. Be there.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
^:chuckle:

You easily will. Fred Meyer, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Circuit City, Toys R US will all have them.
If 2 stores in the same mallwere both able to fill 35 preorders each within the hour of opening, i 'm sure that the at max 15 remaining units per store will go very quickly, and though there might be more people going to gamestop/eb games, they'll realize just like you that other stores have them, meaning it will probably be difficult to get one.

Really, there's no harm in preordering. It doesn't cost anything extra, and you have a much higher chance of getting the stuff than if you try to get there first.
I have to agree with ChRed on this one, it's just plain logistics. Not to mention there are no Circuit Cities, Best Buys, Toys R Us, or Fred Meyers near me (the last one I've never even heard of, I think), although there are Target and Wal*Mart. The nearest Best Buy, Circuit City, and Toys R Us are a about a half hour drive from me in Jax FL, but there are enough stores here that will have them. I'm thinking what I'll do is drop one of my siblings at Wal*Mart, the other at EB, and make sure they both have cell phones.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
Meh, on gamecube launch day there were loads just sitting in the shops waiting to be bought and that was the fastest selling console in UK. Wii has an even larger shipment for launch...

I don't know about america, but it's pretty unlikely you'd need to preorder here in UK at least.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
So would anyone care to tell me exactly how it goes on Wii-Day (clever, eh?)? Is it a show up at midnight and grap one sort of deal, or is it a camp outside until 5AM, or if I wake up early, will I find a giant line of guys who were there all night? I'll probably go to a Best Buy rather than a WalMart (the WalMart near me is far shadier at night).

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
I'm predicting just as many crowds for the PS3, but less units shipped region-wide. I think the PS3's launch will start with a bang (like all launches), but slow down quickly due to the price tag, and finally pick up some momentum a year or two after launch when the prices drop. The Wii will start out strong with a widely-selling launch and will gradually begin to sell less units.

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
I live in alaska.

This means that, assuming I don't go to anchorage to shop, I'll easily get one as long as I show up when the store opens.

Plus, if I go to Fred Meyer's (which is really close to me), I get 10% off because my mother works at the starbucks inside the store! Wiiiii <3

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
If you didn't reserve, don't worry. You can still try online, though it will most certainly run out in minutes. Even if you don't reserve at all, stores that didn't have reservations will still have a good number of Wiis available at launch. But like I said before, GO EARLY. I would recommend going around 6:00 or so on the Saturday before (or even earlier; bring something to do), assuming it's a midnight launch. It sounds crazy, but the crazy ones who camp overnight will get their Wiis while those who don't will get nothing. It's almost predictable that all Wal-Marts will be full of crazy people, so keep your guard up.

Oh, and if you can, bring someone with you to save your spot in case you have to use the restroom. There is no honor during console launches. :)

Sensai

Smash Master
I imagine that the first day, things'll be shipped out, 100%. That's ALL launches, period (save GC).

I wouldn't fret too much about it though, honestly.

What I think the PS3 launch will be like...hmm....the word 'stampede' comes to mind. I imagine it'll be worse then the 360 launch, honestly. Oh well...not my problem.

For those who are interested in actual NEWS, here's something neat: Square-Enix will be allowing some games to be purchased on the Virtual Console.

Source: http://ds.gamedaily.com/game/features/?gameid=5048&id=427&p=2&page=3

Mr. Kouichi Ishii said:
Square has decided that they will participate [on the Virtual Console], but they have not decided which titles. That is currently under consideration, and they would like to have that information to you soon.
Oh sweet JESUS I hope Chrono Trigger is there, along with Illusion of Gaia.

Sensai

Smash Master
Super Mario RPG completely slipped my mind, actually. I would seriously doubt they would hold that out, considering it IS a Mario game.

I think Earthbound was....

/searches

...Ape, Inc. and HAL Laboratory, Inc.

applejack

Smash Journeyman
I hope they get FF7.
Incredibly unlikely, but it would be a huge title.

FF started on NES so it is only fitting that its biggest game is on Nintendo's (recently) biggest console, right?
Maybe this is just naive optimism though.

ChumpMoney

Smash Lord
crap. every place here in NJ was pretty much done taking preorders before they even started.

dank, i need to know whens the next chance to pre-order!

Sensai

Smash Master
Probably not again. Try to just get one on launch day...it shouldn't be too hard.

And the thing about FF7 coming to the VC, while possible (as in, it could be physically done), is that it won't. It's a Playstation game, meaning it's not on a Nintendo system.

Top Bottom