• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
i know this is not wii related. and the PS3 board is dead.please dont be mad at me its a really neat find.......
Maybe if people posted PS3 news IN the PS3 Thread, it WOULDN'T be "dead"

I'm pretty sure that you shouldn't be too worried about having to constantly change batteries. Unless, you're gonna play like...the whole day, which you might have some problems then. But still, I doubt it.
I went for well over a month, 2 months before needing to switch batteries for my Wavebird.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Cool. As for the Ethernet adapter thing, that is to hook directly into a router, am I right? Of course, a direct line is always better than a wireless connection, but if you have a router for your computers, will the Wii be compatible? And would it even by wise to use it from downstairs? Sorry - My experiences with Wireless technology have been less than reasuring.

On a slightly nerdy note (I have WAY too much free time in my first period class), I figured out a plausible way in which the Wii calculates the position, tilt, and roll of the Wiimote using the sensor bar.

The sensor bar knows the distance between the two sensors. Using this, and the angle at which the Wiimote is from each of these, it can use a "Angle Side Angle" canculation to find the X (the distance from the sensor bar), and from this, the Y (which would be the distance to the left or right of the sensor bar). It basically does the same thing to find the Z (height) coordinate, but it already knows the X (again, distance from sensor), and that the ground should be level.

So there you have it - You've triangulated a single point - the location of the Wiimote. But this isn't all that useful for pointing. It needs 2 points (using the same method) to find the tilt. The tilt would simply by the slope in 3-D space.
One last piece of information it needs is "Roll". To get "Roll", you need a plane - 3 points that aren't colinear. So by triangulating 3 points, you can then find the slope of a plane in 3D space, and with a couple minutes of calibration to customize the size of the TV screen and the position of the sensor bar in relation to your TV, you have some accurate measurements of the position, tilt, and roll of the Wiimote.

Skywalker

Space Jump
Cool. As for the Ethernet adapter thing, that is to hook directly into a router, am I right? Of course, a direct line is always better than a wireless connection, but if you have a router for your computers, will the Wii be compatible? And would it even by wise to use it from downstairs? Sorry - My experiences with Wireless technology have been less than reasuring.
Considering how the DS's wireless connectivity went, there will be very little problems; even if the McDonald's hotstops were kind-of "meh."

Echo

Smash Champion
The sensor bar knows the distance between the two sensors. Using this, and the angle at which the Wiimote is from each of these, it can use a "Angle Side Angle" canculation to find the X (the distance from the sensor bar), and from this, the Y (which would be the distance to the left or right of the sensor bar). It basically does the same thing to find the Z (height) coordinate, but it already knows the X (again, distance from sensor), and that the ground should be level.
This is too much math for my mind to comprehend...
but about the PS3 thing... I heard Ebay was setting a thing where you could only set the price under 600? I Could have been misinformed I guess... I thought I had read something about them not liking what happened with the 360 prices being so extreme.

Sensai

Smash Master
I have some type of confirmation for the preorder of the Wii thing...lemme dig up some links.

Where is it...I saw somewhere where they estimated how many Wii's a store would be getting...

AHA! It's GameDaily, which is where I get all my news...so, for those non-believers, take it with a grain of salt, but I trust 'em.

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=14072

The last update is where it mentions the quantity.

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
What on earth are you talking about? You don't need an SD card for saving games. Of course you can save to the onboard flash memory.

The Great Marth

Smash Lord
if you check codenamerevolution.com u can see on the 1st or 2nd page it confirms that friday u can preorder wii wii.

and cashed is a meanie, he hit me with a warning......

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
Jeah. Sorry about that, mate. I had myself all confused too.
No problem.
The Great Marth, you're so close to being room banned. Permanently.

And to the guy who asked; no, my father is not a drill sergeant, but he is a hard ***.
That was me :chuckle:, but believe it or not, mine can be too. People I've heard called big slavedrivers have called him a slavedriver. My mom just balances him out serious personality wise, which is why you wouldn't have geussed about that from me.
I usually find what's above the sigs is worse, but then again, this isn't the brawl room.
lol, it's funny because it's true *waits for spamming infraction from Cashed*
Wii Compact Software...hmm...sounds just like Digital Distribution.

And to that I say: BLAH!

And why would ANYONE buy a 512 SD card for 40 when they can get a gig one for about 30? Or is the Wii only going to use a certain type?

And anyone know how big games are going to be, etc? I already have a 512 I (kinda) use for photots...
I've seen a 2GB Sandisk on Newegg for $30, as soon as I get back from New York I'm planning to buy one. But I wondered the same thing about getting games online, I've never seen a SD card bigger than 2GB.
http://thewiire.com/news/513/1/GameStop_Wii_Preorders_Begin_Oct_13

while listed as confirmed from thewiire, Kotaku could not manage to confirm it. On the other hand, at least one gaemstop employee asked their manager when preorders would begin, and was told "Definately sometime this week".

The PS3 pre-orders were no announced until the night previous to the preorder, so if friday is true then we'll say confirmation late thursday night. As for me, I'm planning to be at gamestop Friday.
I was in EB yesterday, and they said the same thing, rumored Friday. But the article says that it's now confirmed anyway.
if you check codenamerevolution.com u can see on the 1st or 2nd page it confirms that friday u can preorder wii wii.

and cashed is a meanie, he hit me with a warning......
Be glad that's all you got, he just said a couple pages back he wanted to room ban you permanently. But that was much better how you quoted the info instead of just posting an almost meaningless link, like "47 improved Red Steel screens", and leaving it at that. Although it would really help if you listed USD prices instead of yen on that post a couple pages back. Prices in Japan for people who won't be buying the products in Japan is the kind of useless info people don't want to have to look through.

I've heard the dev team has vastly improved Red Steel, by the way, from magazines and people I've talked to in person.
Oh hey, did anyone notice that the name of the guy supposedly selling a PS3 for that exorbitant price was Sociopath? Yeah, I'd really want to do business with him. XD

Zink

Smash Champion
As long as you can save to flash I think I'll hold off on an SD card for now. 512 should be enough for the first couple games, at least, and with the VC region-locking I probably won't be getting that many retro games.

Sensai

Smash Master
The VC's going to be region locked? Seriously? What's the POINT, then?

And 512 MB would be fine...if it were just for VC games, that only take, ya know, a thousand KBs. But add in Zelda, Red Steel, Rayman, and any other games.

I'll probably just be buying a 2 gig, or maybe a 4.

And to whoever said they've only seen a 2...I saw on 8 on newegg.com the other day.

The Great Marth

Smash Lord
GameStop, EB Wii preorders detailed

Reservations for Nintendo's next-gen console begin tomorrow; Canadian PS3, Wii preorders begin Monday.

By Tim Surette, GameSpot
Posted Oct 12, 2006 10:40 am PT

Gamers who blinked may have missed the preorder program for the PlayStation 3 from EB Games and GameStop. The retailers announced the details of the campaign on Monday, and put them into effect on Tuesday. Because of extremely limited supply--most stores were given only eight units for presale--the retailers quickly sold out of their PS3 allotment, most selling out in minutes.

Now it looks as though the retailers are taking a similar approach to preorders for the Wii. In an e-mail notice sent out to gamers today, the stores announced that preorders for the Wii will begin tomorrow.

Preorders will be given out on a first-come-first-served basis, and start promptly when the retailers' 3,600-plus stores open their doors for business. A $50 deposit--cash, credit, or trade-in--for the $250 system is required, and reservations are limited to one per household. Preorders for the PS3, which will retail in two models for $499 and $599, required a $100 to be put down. The companies did not reveal how many preorders would be available from each store. Details of online preorders are expected soon.

However, GameStop and EB can't absolutely guarantee a system at launch for those who do successfully get their hands on one of the prized receipts. A disclaimer on the stores' Web sites reads: "As we cannot control production and shipping issues by the manufacturer, a reservation deposit does not guarantee receipt of a system available to purchase at launch."

The two chains also revealed plans for Canadian preorders for both the Wii and PS3. North of the border, the campaign for both systems begins Monday, October 16, and requires a C$200 cash or credit deposit, or C$50 in trade.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
So pre-orders are finally starting? I wonder what the numbers for each store wiil be? I guess if I want one at launch I'm going to need to make up my mind soon.

$40 for 512 mb? Biggest rip-off ever Nintendo. I can understand the prices for controllers but that's way too much for such a small amount of memory.

Aiser

Smash Lord
I was in EB yesterday was just chillaxin with the guy working there, he said like he sold out in about 5 minutes. <_<

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
just got the confirmation

kind of pointless but reasurring.

I'm not worried about supply, since more than twice the amount of Wiis are shipping as PS3s and I have both an EB and a gamestop in my mall.

The Great Marth

Smash Lord
Nintendo announces new Wiimote development framework

Posted Oct 12th 2006 12:15PM by Blake Snow

Filed under: Nintendo Wii

Nintendo and AiLive announced a new Wiimote development tool today called LiveMove that allows Wii developers to more easily program motion-sensing controls in a "matter of minutes." In essence, the development framework helps the Wiimote "learn" movement patterns in an effort "to move away from indirect digital control to more natural analog control."

We expect that Nintendo, especially from the first-party games we've previewed, knows how to apply motion-controls in a workable manner. But this is good news for hopeful third-party platform developers as they have been viewed as an Achilles' heel to the console's potential success.

LiveMove is currently available to Wii developers at a cost of $2,500 per seat. Should be interesting to see what effect, if any, AiLive's Wiimote framework will have on games.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
$60 Wii games?

http://www.ebgames.com/default.asp?sect=1285

crud.

also, does anyone know when gamestop and EB games generally open on weekdays?

I'm in highschool, so if I cut they call my mom, but then the soonest I can gt there is like 11:00.

SHould I just give up? Or do you think the large number of consoles and the fact that I have 2 stores in one mall will compensate for my late arrival?

The Great Marth

Smash Lord
are you going to reserve a wii krisp?

where do u live by the way....what state, i mean.

im probly gonna be at a gamestop early early tomorrow morning(skip class) to get mine.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Well, I'm hoping to reserve one. I live in maryland, near D.C.(montgomery county).

Worst comes to worst, i'll find out when the stores get their second shipment of Wiis and go then.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
that's the thing. FOr people who work are are in college, they can ditch work or w/e for a day and get to the store early. I can't get there until like 11:00(lunch), by which time i'm pretty sure the stores will have been open for about an hour already. I'm making an estimate of about 16 predorders per store, and there are several stores within only 5 mins of my school, but i'm just worried they might use all the pre-orders up in like the first 15 minutes.

Gamestop and EB games are both owned by Gamestop Corp, they should accept EB credit.

Sensai

Smash Master
Let's see...3.6k stores. 1,000,000 Wii's. Quick calculation=277.77777... Wii's per store.

Ok, that's probably wrong, considering it's more then 3.6k stores, and 1 million Wii's hasn't been confirmed.

I also saw on GameDaily that they're expected to have 50 per store, but that may be just BS.

Honestly, I don't think pre-ordering a Wii's even necessary. There're going to be so many of them.

I dunno. :-/

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
$60 Wii games?

http://www.ebgames.com/default.asp?sect=1285

crud.

also, does anyone know when gamestop and EB games generally open on weekdays?

I'm in highschool, so if I cut they call my mom, but then the soonest I can gt there is like 11:00.

SHould I just give up? Or do you think the large number of consoles and the fact that I have 2 stores in one mall will compensate for my late arrival?

I doubt that somewhat, since Nin themselves said they would be keeping the price of self-published games at $49.99, and of course Brawl is nowhere close to even having a launch date yet, so setting a price on it to me seems pointless. Nin could always change their minds somewhere down the road, but that would prove them liars about wanting to keep production costs down. And I called my closest EB today and asked when they open, and he said 10.

EDIT for post below: I'm planning on it, I just hope there isn't a line before it opens, because I'm flying to New York Sunday morning, and don't have time to sit outsided in front of EB all night, not that I would even if I had the time anyway.

Fox_Rocks

Smash Journeyman
This is kind of funny, seeing everybody trying to figure out what to do about preordering, seeing as I've had my preorder for about a two months. The closest Game Crazy store to me has been taking preoders forever. I preordered mine before the price was even announced.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
I've never even heard of Game Crazy, let alone seen one; what area are you from? If they're a smaller chain, they can probably do that because of not having as many stores to keep track of, as many shipments, etc.

Fox_Rocks

Smash Journeyman
I live in Southeastern Pennsylvania, and I've only ever seen one Game Crazy, but I've seen them advertised in Nintendo Power. But it's probably a pretty small chain considering the fact that the store's located in about a 20x20 area attatched to a Hollywood Video.

The Great Marth

Smash Lord
GC is a very very small chain. there is only one for me.

and no has a preorder untill nintendo says preorders are happening.

so fox, your preorder will take effect tomorrow like everyone else.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
For those worried about preordering a Wii, don't. Find a store that's NOT taking preorders (Wal*Mart, Target, and possibly Best Buy would be good bets, you could also check Toys 'R Us), and wait it out. The system releases on November 19th, which is a Sunday, so all you'd have to do is find someone to drive you.

We have a 24 hour Wal*Mart a ways up the highway out of my town, so I'll be going there Saturday night and grabbing one at midnight, when they should begin selling them.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
I thought of that, not that I'm worried, actually, but when the 360 launched, there was a line out the door at like 2AM or something. It's a 24 hour Wal*Mart, also.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Will they be doing a midnight sale for Wii at non-24 hour stores? I would hope they would.

And blaksheep, the secret for the 24-hour stores is GOING EARLY. I would say 7 or so...heck, maybe earlier depending how crazy the people are that live in your area. Don't be surprised of you find someone spending the day before waiting in line...it's human nature to get first dibs.

Gamestop/EBgames has made it clear that the reserves aren't 100% guarantees anyways, because of possible shipping problems, etc. But yeah, I believe most GS/EB will have a plentiful number of Wii reserves available. Probably not 50, but around 20-25 or so, give or take on the location and customer influx. Just keep the Wal-Mart plan as backup for any mishaps. :)

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
McFox, not all of us can go camp outside a WalMart or Best Buy parking lot. Basically, students are screwed: I have 35-40 minutes for lunch - there's no way in hell I could drive within 5 miles of an EB or GameStop during that period, and the earliest I get out is 3:00PM. Basically, I'll end up empty-handed unless Nintendo miraculously manages to put out millions of systems at launch. As for the 1,000,000 divided out among the EB's and GameStops: You do realize that there's more than one store chain selling the console, right? Probably the largest builk of the units shipped will be going to WalMart, and then more average amounts out to every Best Buy, Babages, Target, etc. etc. etc... Get your tents ready.

Fox_Rocks

Smash Journeyman
GC is a very very small chain. there is only one for me.

and no has a preorder untill nintendo says preorders are happening.

so fox, your preorder will take effect tomorrow like everyone else.
Not really. The store can take preorders as soon as they want, but it doesn't mean that you'll actually get the system. Nintendo has nothing to do with when a store wants to start preordering.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
McFox, not all of us can go camp outside a WalMart or Best Buy parking lot. Basically, students are screwed: I have 35-40 minutes for lunch - there's no way in hell I could drive within 5 miles of an EB or GameStop during that period, and the earliest I get out is 3:00PM. Basically, I'll end up empty-handed unless Nintendo miraculously manages to put out millions of systems at launch. As for the 1,000,000 divided out among the EB's and GameStops: You do realize that there's more than one store chain selling the console, right? Probably the largest builk of the units shipped will be going to WalMart, and then more average amounts out to every Best Buy, Babages, Target, etc. etc. etc... Get your tents ready.
Er, McFox is making the suggestion to NOT reserve and go to places that will be selling them first-come, first-serve. I doubt some place will have midnight sales, if any. Wii will be released on a Sunday, so you can go wait at the store Saturday night...unless you have school on weekends. :ohwell:

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
Will they be doing a midnight sale for Wii at non-24 hour stores? I would hope they would.

And blaksheep, the secret for the 24-hour stores is GOING EARLY. I would say 7 or so...heck, maybe earlier depending how crazy the people are that live in your area. Don't be surprised of you find someone spending the day before waiting in line...it's human nature to get first dibs.
Well DUH! :rolleyes: But I guess that was my fault for not being clear enough. Rocketrainer, I know 24 hour Wal*Marts will be selling at midnight.

Gamestop/EBgames has made it clear that the reserves aren't 100% guarantees anyways, because of possible shipping problems, etc. But yeah, I believe most GS/EB will have a plentiful number of Wii reserves available. Probably not 50, but around 20-25 or so, give or take on the location and customer influx. Just keep the Wal-Mart plan as backup for any mishaps. :)
I was thinking of doing this, actually. I might keep the preorder for a backup, actually, because if something unforseen happens and there's a shortage, when a shipment does come a Wii will be reserved for me.

McFox, PA is right that it's just not that easy to camp out all night in front of a Target or Wal*Mart, not to mention dangerous. In some places it would be more dangerous than others, but I don't care where you are Singapore or Iraq, it can still be dangerous. (I don't know if Wal*Mart has spread its empire that far yet, it was just a hyperbole, but it wouldn't surprise me after all.)

applejack

Smash Journeyman
Last time I posted on here someone bit me. But I'll try again.
I only had to wait about an hour for the 360 and when I got it it worked fine for a few weeks but it still broke down. I got mine a few weeks after launch expecting them to be fixed but I still got a bad one. Microsoft sent me a new one but that still has bugs in it.
I am just worried that when I buy the Wii I will buy another broken one. I am not even going to try to buy a PS3 until Spring. Is there any news about the reliability of the consoles?
If someone has already mentioned this I don't mean to spam...but there are almost three-hundred pages and it would take me all weekend to search through them. Thanks

applejack

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, mine still works too. I trust Nin, I am just skeptical of new hardware. I guess I am going to go camping next month now. Can't wait. Hope it doesn't snow or rain......but then the line would be shorter.

Top Bottom