• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I'd like to disagree. The FF series has always been pretty damn goofy, the whole "highly melodramatic and emotional" thing is only a relatively recent development.

Seriously, you'd be surprised how many people don't know that 7 has a cross-dressing scene.
I found Cloud to be a very uninteresting character. I've played a bit of IX and I actually like the cast there. And FFVI with Kefka's shenanigans (he is fabulous anyhow). Maybe I'm also misdirecting my criticisms. Kingdom Hearts, particularly the 2nd, was atrocious. It was such an EMO-tastic game with the Organization XIII. Cloud and his buddies were thrown into that mess and I found it quite fitting given how depressing the child is. But you're correct, the most recent Final Fantasy games have been filled with the melodramatic nonsense. I'm not saying they're terrible games. I just can't stand the overly melodramatic tone video games set. Hence I prefer the Dragon Quest series as a whole given its humor is more apparent than FF.

finalark

SNORLAX
I get the impression that you haven't played much of VII. Cloud was only "emo" in KH and Advent Children, which is where the mainstream perception of the FF games comes from. In the original game he was basically Renegade Shepard who occasionally took on Paragon attributes because
he has some of Zack's memories and personality implanted into him.

If you want "emo" or "depressed child" Squall fits the bill much more than Cloud, but since Square wanted to appeal to the Hot Topic kids they ended up putting that personality onto Cloud in later interpretations of the character. It's sad, really.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
At this point I've given up on reiterating the rationale behind Cloud's shift in personality (and eventual move back OUT of said personality). /insert disgruntled groan here and respect for other opinion and moving on

--

So what other things would you want from the Wii U as updates continue to come for the console? Asides from the awesome ones we've already gotten.

Blazeth

Smash Apprentice
Bringing back up the Mario U discussion, how much of a chance do you see a game really similar to Super Mario 64 being made as the new game? I don't mean like a remake, I just mean kind of the same idea, jump into paintings.

finalark

SNORLAX
Let's be honest, nearly every 3D Mario gas has been really similar to Mario 64. You have a hub world, a way to enter levels, and then a series of challenges to complete in those levels. 64 started it, Sunshine improved it and added a water gun, and Galaxy put it into space. Honestly, Galaxy's Expansion Pack Galaxy 2 slightly changed things up by bringing the world map back.

So yes, it is safe to say that whatever new 3D Mario they make will probably be very similar to 64.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Pretty much yeah, yet strangely enough I definitely liked some more than others. 64 was fun but I didn't have any strong ties to it. What I didn't like was it didn't have much of a speed run platforming style besides the Bowser stages, and I hated how power ups were there just to get that star and were timed. Sunshine's platforming was ruined by fludd and the stage variety was lacking, but the secret stages were some of the best ever. Galaxy's my favorite for 3D just because it's close to what I want in a Mario game. 3D Land I really want to get.

I know people are sick of Mario games, but I'm really excited to see what the EAD Tokyo teams are doing. Haven't played NSMB2 or U, but I wish the 2D ones changed things up a bit. They kind of lack flavor or soul to me. :ohwell: It's a shame since I really do like 2D Mario games.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I've been playing Mario game since before I can remember, I'm still not tired of them.

The two Galaxy games are some of my favorites in the series, the level design is a welcome change from the last two 3D games imo. I also enjoy the NSMB games, but I can understand the want for Nintendo to do something more with them.

I'm a big fan of the DS, so I'm really excited to see what developers decide to do with the Wii U's controller. I'm not worried about what Nintendo does with the next big Mario game, for now I welcome whatever they have.

finalark

SNORLAX
I know I've said it a million times, but I've just never been that into Mario. Like I honestly don't get what the big deal with Mario 3 is. And you can't even said I don't get it because I didn't grow up with it. I had the GBA remake of it when I was a kid and IMO Mario World is better.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I think 3 and World are the ones debated over most. I'm in the 3 > World camp. 3's difficulty, level design/variety, and power ups is what I like best about it. World was too easy for me. Cape/Yoshi was as abusable as fludd was (although this is what makes it fun too) and the game lacked challenge aside from 3 stages or so. World has the best secrets/exits in the series though. I also think World has the best controls for the 2D Mario games while 3 is only slightly behind.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Super Mario Bros 3 was the very first game I ever played.

It is still my favorite Mario

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I prefer 3 to World too. I found the control scheme of World really awkward at times; I don't like waggle controls but having the spin as a shake on NSMB Wii/the shoulder buttons on NSMBU was a much better choice.
I also hated the art style of World. The cartoony look of the enemies contrasted the less cartoon look of Mario, and the backgrounds were fairly plain/edging on realistic, compared to the black outlines that things like the floor and trees had. Super Mario Advance 4 looked similar, but so much better.

Out of the games I've played, I'd say Galaxy=Galaxy 2 > 3D Land > NSMB U > SMB 3 > NSMB > SMB > NSMB Wii > SMB 2 USA > SM64.

My main problem with the Mario games released before last gen is that I have no nostalgia with them whatsoever. Hence why I prefer the newer games.

finalark

SNORLAX
I haven't played Mario 3 since I was like, ten. Nothing about that game really sticks out in my memory. It just kinda runs together with every other 2D Mario game that I've played.

Maybe I'll play it again in the future, but I'm really not eager to. Outside of a select few titles Mario just isn't my thing.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I haven't played Mario 3 since I was like, ten. Nothing about that game really sticks out in my memory. It just kinda runs together with every other 2D Mario game that I've played.

Maybe I'll play it again in the future, but I'm really not eager to. Outside of a select few titles Mario just isn't my thing.
Maybe it was the inspiration for every other 2D Mario you played...

They've been trying to copy the atmosphere of the game for a while now in a lot of Mario games

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You never feared for your life from big bertha, or celebrated the first time you unlocked the secret white mushroom house, or found your first hammer suit - using the power of Bowser's most powerful minion against him?

Try beating the last castle before Bowser. Winning it is an accomplishment. I always keep a cloud around so I can skip it.

The entire Giant Land seems pretty iconic to me. An entire world where the enemies were giant! The dark world where Bowser sends his armies after you, including war boats and tanks

finalark

SNORLAX
Can't really say I remember any of that. I things I remember from the game were the world map, the Mushroom Houses, the Statue Suit, the Tanooki Sui (duh) and the Hammer Bros suit.

I guess one man's nostalgia is another man's forgettable title. I guess it comes with playing later Mario games first.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
The best 3D Mario game has to be the remake of Mario 64 on DS. I say that because it gave me the option to play as Wario lol I would love for the next Mario game to give me the choice in choosing different characters. I loved how each character had different perks when it came to power, speed and abilities. If the next 3D Mario on Wii U gave me that option again with Wario, I'd be using him all the time. Mario is such a pansy. SMB2, I used Peach and Toad a lot. Gawd, they should definitely do this again.

But I really enjoyed Mario Galaxy 2. Best expansion pack ever.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Some people give Mario Galaxy 2 a hard time, but my only complaint is that they could have done so much more with the "world maps". It appeared to me almost as if the concept of it was an afterthought, that's how unremarkable it was.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Some people give Mario Galaxy 2 a hard time, but my only complaint is that they could have done so much more with the "world maps". It appeared to me almost as if the concept of it was an afterthought, that's how unremarkable it was.
Well to be fair to Nintendo, they didn't hide that fact. They said that they had SO many ideas. And thus we've got the more challenging stages in Super Mario Galaxy 2.

To be honest I relate Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 to the original Super Mario Bros. 1 & 2 (Lost Levels)

...of course the difficulty in Lost Levels is a lot more significant, but that's why I absolutely love Galaxy 2 and don't cry "BAAAH JUST REHASHED MARIO!"

It's Mario. B\

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I don't really understand why it would be a bad thing to have more of a great game.

Cries of rehash in video games always seems silly to me. I certainly wouldn't mind a Mega Man 11 using the same formula as the first ten right now. :/

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I know SMG2 was an "expansion pack" like game, but they could still have made the world map not so boring and empty.

Off of my point, I always found it amusing though that within each "world" there were "galaxies". :laugh:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I usually like games that reuse the same formula. I think the only exceptions that come to mind for me is NSMB2 and possibly Mega Man 10 (I loved 9 though). NSMB 2 played things way too safe, imo, and didn't change it's look that much after being a 3DS game. But that's probably because I'm not the greatest fan of NSMB's art style. MM10 felt like it wasn't as polished as 9.

Anyways, I got a Wii U. Waiting on NSMBU to play with family, I don't feel like buying MH just yet, so I'm pretty much playing VC games and waiting for Pikmin 3.
I'm in no rush for games. I got my Deluxe for 255 to prepare myself for Nintendo's lineup this year.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
NSMBU is really tightly designed and fun.
It's leagues ahead of the other NSMB games for me, and I loved the original on the DS.

If you've not downloaded it, I can't recommend the Rayman Legends Challenge App highly enough. I've probably put more time in that than the rest of my Wii U games, bar Lego City, combined.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
It's fun but I can't be bothered to check it every day for the challenge. But yeah I was pretty impressed.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I'd love for Nintendo to upload demos of the games on the showfloor to eShop. That'd be one great way to reach out to their consumers. I'm pretty sure everyone on Playstation and Xbox would love this too. Interesting how none of the 3 really embraced this idea. Least not that I know of. I would cry tears of joy if Smash 4's demo is uploaded to the eShop immediately after the announcement.

ndayday

BRoomer
I can't even imagine how crazy things would get.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I remember reading something about a guy saying statistically demos that the masses can play reduce sales quite a bit. Of course, if the game is actually fun and can be played a lot, it won't have much of an effect really, like with Smash Brothers.

finalark

SNORLAX
Demos are a double-edged sword. On the one hand, if you make a really, really ****ing good demo then it will make people want to play the rest of the game.

On the other hand, if your demo sucks balls then its just going to drive people away from the game.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I'm thinking the Monster Hunter demo potentially drew people away... Capcom cannot make a decent demo of that game for some reason- whether it be on PSP, Wii, Wii U and 3DS. Of course, I stuck with Monster Hunter and it's certainly one of my favorite franchises.

Also, I'm guessing one good reason why Epic Mickey 2 did absolutely horrible was because of that whacky demo. So many complaints and issues... Astounding.

ndayday

BRoomer
Was it really that bad? like it just threw you into a quest with a monster?

I feel like the game doesn't do too much to explain things very well in the first place so I would say it's just that type of game. I see a lot of people go on miiverse and ask things along the line of "tried the demo and it sucked, is this worth getting?" to which people reply yes.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I can't get into Monster Hunter at all. it takes too long to get into it

finalark

SNORLAX
Monster Hunter isn't an easy game to get into, since it has that extremely old school "figure it out yourself" mentality on top of being time consuming as ****.

I played the 3DS demo for MH3U and if it wasn't for the fact that I was already familiar with the series via MH Freedom Unite on PSP I probably wouldn't be interested. The demo doesn't do **** to explain anything about the game and just kinda thrusts you into the game after you pick your weapon and tells you that you're on your own. IMO the biggest mistake of the MH3U demo is not including multiplayer, since that's the game's biggest draw.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I purchased the game, my first time entering the series, and I just couldn't get into it. Selling it online at a bit of a loss of cash, but what's most unfortunate is that it does truly seem like a good game. I just couldn't force myself to want to go back and play it.

ndayday

BRoomer
Yeah it's super time consuming so I can see how it's hard to get into. I think I mentioned before that it took me probably the first 40 hours to figure out all the basic stuff. I just now at ~160 hours am beating Moga Village, have one quest left. (I had gotten to HR5 but wanted upgrade all my hammers to whatever they can so I won't have as hard a time in port high rank/early G rank)

It's like a part time job.

finalark

SNORLAX
This guy made a few videos that explain the basics of the game, they're actually pretty helpful for new players.

Granted, the fact that a veteran player had to make a video series to help people get into the game really show that the game has that dated "figure it out yourself" mentality that acts as a serious entry barrier for many people who would normally be interested in the series.

I used to play FFXI, another Japanese MMORPG (you can't really call MH an MMORPG but it certainly has the spirit of one IMO) and it had extremely similar issues. I wonder if its just a cultural thing where Japanese game devs just expect veteran players to show newbies the ropes.

ndayday

BRoomer
I also found it useful to search "hammer tutorial mh3u" or whatever weapon you're using since they all have tips and different ways to use them.

Top Bottom