• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
Guys, how many volts does the Wii U have for input/output?

I searched up that question in many different ways, but I haven't seen anything that really answers my question.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
120V input
15V output
(this is going off power cable/box thing)

miiverse.nintendo.net
this is a thing btw and it is amazing if you have a WiiU

if you don't then too bad for now! But you can see stuff like this on PC now

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I also sincerely hope nintendo cuts off nintendo 3ds's internet for that.

Because really, the browser's pretty incompatible with this website and many others except ones that are mobile, but I barely use it.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
There will be a miiverse for 3DS this year.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
No, E3's Twitter page has said that Nintendo still has a press conference, it just won't be as large of a scale compared to past E3s. But Nintendo confirmed that they are releasing multiple Nintendo Directs (for informing their followers internationally rather than just English speakers) between now and during E3. E3 hasn't been all that great to me in the past years and I actually like their Nintendo Directs far more than their E3 presentations. So I'm fine with this.

EDIT: GOT SOME INFO WRONG. They won't have a live press conference just Nintendo Directs. Sorry for any confusions.

finalark

SNORLAX
I don't know, I've always enjoyed Nintendo's press conferences. I'm gonna miss Reggie being Reggie.

Microsoft and Sony's conferences have always been pretty lulzy though. It's hilarious when Nintendo ends up being the most "hardcore" out of the three of them. Especially with MS shoving the Kinect down everyone's throats for the past several years.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
The only person confirmed to not appear on the show floor is Iwata. Reggie still has a chance of showing up (wouldn't make sense if he didn't. I also see Nintendo doing this to not fully compete against Sony's and Microsoft's new consoles.

finalark

SNORLAX
I think it's more that Nintendo know that regardless of what they unveil this year everyone is going to be talking about the PS4 and Xbox 720 non-stop matter what. It actually makes sense that they'd want to play it safe.

This year's E3 is pretty much going to cement my decision for what console I get this generation. And so far between the FaceStation 4, the DRMBox 720 or the Wii Pad I'd say that Nintendo is look like the best option here.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, usually I just get XBOX and Nintendo but XBOX is looking bad this upcoming gen.

I don't know if there is any Sony exclusive titles I would be interested in, so maybe I'll just get any titles not on the wii u for PC

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Wii U update is up. When I did it, it failed at 95% but when it restarted and forced me to update, took me back to 80% rather than starting all over (thank goodness).

Anywho, Nintendo made a list of changes:
Version 3.0.0 U available via wireless Internet connection includes the following improvements:
New Features:
  • A standby function to download and install software while the system is powered off
  • Software purchased from the Nintendo eShop will automatically install in the background once the download is complete
  • Holding down the B Button while the Wii U logo is displayed during startup will load the Wii Menu *¹
Changes to System Settings:
  • An option to transfer and/or copy between two USB storage devices in "Data Management"
    • To facilitate this feature, you will now be able to connect two USB storage devices to a single Wii U console*²
  • The ability to select multiple software titles when transferring, copying, or deleting data in "Data Management"
  • The option to adjust screen size is now available under "TV" *³
  • "Auto Power-Down" has been renamed "Power Settings"
    • Options for the standby function are located within this menu
Changes to Miiverse:
  • Added support for the Wii Remote, Wii U Pro Controller, and Classic Controller
  • Handwritten posts will now also display on the TV screen during creation
  • "Undo" and "Redo" buttons are now available when creating a handwritten post
  • Removed screen size setting. This option can now be adjusted from System Settings
Changes to Nintendo eShop:
  • Software downloaded from the Nintendo eShop will include released updates and will no longer need to be updated after installation
  • Removed screen size setting. This option can now be adjusted from System Settings
Changes to the Internet Browser:
  • Added support for the Wii Remote and Wii U Pro Controller
  • Added the option to change search engines when performing a keyword search
  • Added the option to return to the start page from the bookmark menu
Changes to Download Management:
  • Added the option to change the priority of downloads
Improvements to system stability and usability:
  • Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience

*1 User selection may be necessary
*2 Only one USB storage device can be used during normal use
*3 A similar option has been removed from Nintendo eShop, Miiverse, and the Internet Browser

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Have things to do...

... but want to update and play Rayman Challenge App again...

Minato

穏やかじゃない
This year's E3 is pretty much going to cement my decision for what console I get this generation. And so far between the FaceStation 4, the DRMBox 720 or the Wii Pad I'd say that Nintendo is look like the best option here.
PS4 and Wii U in whichever order for me. PS4 features actually interest me a lot while the Wii U I'm just waiting for their core titles. Nextbox I probably won't get, but that's because there hasn't been anything concrete yet. I might pass on it since unless it's a repeat of the 360 and they steal some JRPGs as exclusives (I doubt that'll happen this time). But yeah, definitely getting 2 consoles this gen.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Nintendo won't be holding a major press conference like in the past since they seem to find it hard to get it right in pleasing investors, distributors, press and gaming fans. It's really a messy situation. They're still going to be at E3 and will be holding several small conferences (some private for retailers and investors as well as press). I think Nintendo Direct will be the go to place for precious information. I will miss their big conferences and the excitement (that has turned into disappointment most recently). People claim the last few E3s by Nintendo were horrible, but honestly, 2010 and 2011 were fantastic showings in my honest opinion. 2010 with the introduction of 3DS and software and the whole heap of Wii titles that came out that fall. Then 2011 was the relaunch of the 3DS that really made the platform extremely promising, and look at it now.

It would have been amazing if Nintendo did something similar with Wii U for this E3, and that might still happen; it's just not going to be in the same scale like they did with 3DS through their now defunct E3 Press Conferences. I'm sure Nintendo has something up their sleeves and good reasoning for this. You would think they would take advantage of the situation but it seems like they're going in a unexpected direction that is somewhat stupid but possibly clever. We'll see what the future holds. I'm very optimistic about Wii U and cannot wait to see what they do with the console. The possibility of the console getting the 3DS treatment excites me and knowing Smash Bros will be on the way is helping me keep my positive outlook on the system among other things.

As for the PS4 and Nextbox, I'm interested to see how Sony and Microsoft pulls their conferences off. PS4 at the moment sounds the most appealing to me. And if it gets the same if not better support than the Xbox line, then I see no reason in getting a nextBox when PS4 offers what it has and thensome with Sony's spectacular intellectual properties that's ever expanding. Halo, Gears and Fable just isn't enough. And frankly, Microsoft already destroyed RARE's image. All those precious properties are gone to waste. What a travesty...

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
To be honest, E3 hasn't been all that exciting for me recently and I love Nintendo Directs to death (far more than their E3's) so I say Nintendo made a good move this year. But at least Nintendo is releasing E3-sized news at E3 so I'm not all that complaining (there's a lot of games for both 3DS & Wii U that are on my wish list).

The only problem I can think of is this might mess up my annual E3 Bingo game (I always have them Nintendo related). But that's not the end of the world.

finalark

SNORLAX
People claim the last few E3s by Nintendo were horrible, but honestly, 2010 and 2011 were fantastic showings in my honest opinion. 2010 with the introduction of 3DS and software and the whole heap of Wii titles that came out that fall. Then 2011 was the relaunch of the 3DS that really made the platform extremely promising, and look at it now.
The only time Nintendo sucked at E3 was 2007 when all they had was Wii Music.

I really don't remember any of their shows before that nor do I remember their 2008 or 2009 show.

It would have been amazing if Nintendo did something similar with Wii U for this E3, and that might still happen; it's just not going to be in the same scale like they did with 3DS through their now defunct E3 Press Conferences. I'm sure Nintendo has something up their sleeves and good reasoning for this. You would think they would take advantage of the situation but it seems like they're going in a unexpected direction that is somewhat stupid but possibly clever. We'll see what the future holds. I'm very optimistic about Wii U and cannot wait to see what they do with the console. The possibility of the console getting the 3DS treatment excites me and knowing Smash Bros will be on the way is helping me keep my positive outlook on the system among other things.
I wonder if the reason why they're not having a conference is because they know that no matter what they announce all of the attention is going to be on the PS4/720.

Although I don't watch Nintendo direct so I'll just have to come here to catch up on everything.

As for the PS4 and Nextbox, I'm interested to see how Sony and Microsoft pulls their conferences off. PS4 at the moment sounds the most appealing to me. And if it gets the same if not better support than the Xbox line, then I see no reason in getting a nextBox when PS4 offers what it has and thensome with Sony's spectacular intellectual properties that's ever expanding. Halo, Gears and Fable just isn't enough. And frankly, Microsoft already destroyed RARE's image. All those precious properties are gone to waste. What a travesty...
It's always been that way. Functionally, the PS3 did everything the 360 only better. That sitty '06 launch is what really hurt the PS3. Granted, the console is doing fine now but back in '06 everyone was convinced that the PS3 was going to be the last console Sony did.

Because people are dumb.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
The only time Nintendo sucked at E3 was 2007 when all they had was Wii Music.

I really don't remember any of their shows before that nor do I remember their 2008 or 2009 show.

I wonder if the reason why they're not having a conference is because they know that no matter what they announce all of the attention is going to be on the PS4/720.

Although I don't watch Nintendo direct so I'll just have to come here to catch up on everything.

It's always been that way. Functionally, the PS3 did everything the 360 only better. That sitty '06 launch is what really hurt the PS3. Granted, the console is doing fine now but back in '06 everyone was convinced that the PS3 was going to be the last console Sony did.

Because people are dumb.

E3 2008 was when they did the Wii Music Travesty. 2007 was decent- it showed Mario Kart Wii with Motorcycles, Smash Bros. Brawl's release date for December 3rd of that year, and it went on about how amazing the sales were for Wii. Hence why Reggie came out saying how very happy he was lol The sales.

2009 was a little better. They showed Metroid Other M at the end of the show, and NSMB Wii coming out later that year. And it proved Cammie sucked at games lol

I have to agree with you on the possible reason of them not wanting to go up against or waste time going putting up a presentation when the mainstream are bound to ignore them in favor of the other consoles. That could be one of the many reasons, no doubt.

And again, I agree. PS3 pretty much has everything the 360 has and thensome. All the 3rd party games you could want on 360 are already on PS3, plus the other exclusive games on that platform (Tales, Ni No Kuni, other JRPGs) and Sony's 1st party games. Like I said, Microsoft needs more than just 3rd party games to get me interested, just as Nintendo needs more than just 1st party games to get other people interested (even though personally, it is enough for me).

finalark

SNORLAX
E3 2008 was when they did the Wii Music Travesty. 2007 was decent- it showed Mario Kart Wii with Motorcycles, Smash Bros. Brawl's release date for December 3rd of that year, and it went on about how amazing the sales were for Wii. Hence why Reggie came out saying how very happy he was lol The sales.

2009 was a little better. They showed Metroid Other M at the end of the show, and NSMB Wii coming out later that year. And it proved Cammie sucked at games lol
Eh, I really can't keep my years straight. I could have sworn Other M was in 2010 and they showed it off alongside the Goldeneye remake and Kid Icarus Uprising.

Anyway, this comic perfectly sums up E3 2010 IMO (language warning OMG they say bad words): http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/06/16

And again, I agree. PS3 pretty much has everything the 360 has and thensome. All the 3rd party games you could want on 360 are already on PS3, plus the other exclusive games on that platform (Tales, Ni No Kuni, other JRPGs) and Sony's 1st party games. Like I said, Microsoft needs more than just 3rd party games to get me interested, just as Nintendo needs more than just 1st party games to get other people interested (even though personally, it is enough for me).
Well pretty much. The thing that made me pick up a PS3 over a 360 this gen was the free online play (ironically I hardly play online anyway these days) and the fact that Sony actually has more than three IPs. I will never know how in Odin's name the 360 beat the PS3 in western territories post-2007. I mean, damn, I know the PS3's crappy launch hurt the console but I never thought it would hurt it that much, especially after Sony got their **** together and relaunched the console in '09.

finalark

SNORLAX
other M came out 2010
I know, but I remember it being featured at E3 2010.

EDIT: I'm just going to filibuster here. Whenever I see an article like this:

http://thekoalition.com/2013/04/could-nintendo-skipping-an-e3-conference-result-in-suicide/

It makes me want to slap the **** out of anyone who actually believes that Nintendo skipping E3 is going to cause the company to go bankrupt/drop out of the console race. I'm sorry, but Nintendo has more money than I will probably ever make in my life from the DS/Wii alone. If the 3DS and Wii U end up being commercial failures Nintendo will be fine.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Y'know, from August onwards, things could get better for Wii U. One would have thought they learned from 3DS, but clearly they did not. I'm thinking major releases will be coming to Wii U pronto after June. And Splintercell Blacklist looks fantastic on Wii U. Ubisoft does a terrific job in their marketing and they seem more enthusiastic about Nintendo's new console unlike the other 3rd party publishers. It's good for them since Ubi won't have to worry about competition on Wii U except for Nintendo games (which is apparently the reason 3rd parties don't bother much with Nintendo consoles since people buy Nintendo games only). Anyhow, Deus Ex: Director's Cut will be on the way within 2 weeks so I can't wait to get that. Never played the original, so it'll be a new thing for me. I barely remember it existing 2 years ago... Must be because it isn't any of those mainstream games the mainstream media keep putting front and center?

Also, anyone here feels the best Nintendo console to get are their handhelds? Always seems to be the case. I've always been a person who plays on a handheld more than a console which is why I really don't care much about the graphical fidelity of home consoles (in this case, Wii U) or how powerful a console is. There's so many games coming out on 3DS, it's really going to hurt my wallet D:

And in a month and a half, my most anticipated 3DS game Animal Crossing will be arriving. Really excited for that... Finally.. Hell.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Y'know, from August onwards, things could get better for Wii U. One would have thought they learned from 3DS, but clearly they did not. I'm thinking major releases will be coming to Wii U pronto after June. And Splintercell Blacklist looks fantastic on Wii U. Ubisoft does a terrific job in their marketing and they seem more enthusiastic about Nintendo's new console unlike the other 3rd party publishers. It's good for them since Ubi won't have to worry about competition on Wii U except for Nintendo games (which is apparently the reason 3rd parties don't bother much with Nintendo consoles since people buy Nintendo games only). Anyhow, Deus Ex: Director's Cut will be on the way within 2 weeks so I can't wait to get that. Never played the original, so it'll be a new thing for me. I barely remember it existing 2 years ago... Must be because it isn't any of those mainstream games the mainstream media keep putting front and center?

Also, anyone here feels the best Nintendo console to get are their handhelds? Always seems to be the case. I've always been a person who plays on a handheld more than a console which is why I really don't care much about the graphical fidelity of home consoles (in this case, Wii U) or how powerful a console is. There's so many games coming out on 3DS, it's really going to hurt my wallet D:

And in a month and a half, my most anticipated 3DS game Animal Crossing will be arriving. Really excited for that... Finally.. Hell.
Thing will probably get better in August and on since that's when some of the anticipated games are coming out. Unfortunately, I think Nintendo's lost their shot on insane mass appeal unless they find a way to relaunch the console properly. It's pretty dumb how poorly they handled the Wii U's launch. They said they learned from the 3DS's mistake and won't be doing the same thing, only to repeat it. High price, small library, poor marketing by not distinguishing it as a new console better.

On you bringing up Ubisoft, they always do stuff like this to make them look good. They churn out whatever they can (good or bad) at launch for consoles since the library's small. As for Deus Ex, it got coverage, it's just after the game's release, people found out the game wasn't that great or had problems.

Nintendo's best hardware are definitely their handhelds now. Better support, and the lack of features are easier to accept for handhelds (they still need to get accounts down though).

Blazeth

Smash Apprentice
Would you guys rather see a new Super Mario Galaxy, a new separate Mario title, or a New Super Mario Bros 5?

Personally, as long as it's not a new New Super Mario than I am happy.

finalark

SNORLAX
Honestly, It'd be rather pleasing to see a new F-ZERO but I just don't think it's too realistic. But you never know I guess.
I don't see why's that's not realistic. It wouldn't be the first time that Nintendo put a franchise to rest for a while before making a new one. There was no Metroid on the N64, nor was there a Fire Emblem but both franchises got consoles releases on the GCN. It's not like FE is a D-list franchise, C-List sure but it's not like we're talking about Nintendo making a new Detective Club.

IMO a new F-Zero would be pretty beast. I've heard Miyamoto didn't like GX, meaning that we'll probably never see a SEGA-made F-Zero again sadly. But if somehow they managed to capture the speed and difficulty of GX with that metal as **** sound track that X rocked then I think I'd be happy. Throw in 16-player online races and you got yourself a winner there.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I expect a new 3D Mario series

If they make a Super Mario Galaxy 3 I'm going to be really disappointed

finalark

SNORLAX
If they make a Super Mario Galaxy 3 I'm going to be really disappointed
As much as I'd love (/sarcasm) a new expansion pack for SMG I'd rather they try something new with the franchise.

And going off of the countless 2D throwbacks/rehashes depending on your opinion it seems like Nintendo is interested in playing things safe for now.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
You know what I'd love? A connected world kind of like Banjo-Tooie had for a new 3D Mario game. A full-out 3D adventure through the Mushroom Kingdom. Kindasorta bring things to basics but make you WANT to explore the world of Mario. Could you imagine making the trek between the Toad Town and Koopa Village (like the original Paper Mario did) with each location breathing life into the characters that make the locations feel lively. To me, a good game is more than just levels. It's making you want to appreciate the downtime inbetween (unless you're a classic straight-up platformer like the classic Mario games and etc., they're an exception :p). Come to think of it, asides from Super Mario 3D Land, we haven't had a 3D Mario platformer that explores the Mushroom Kingdom. Even Super Mario 64 was just worlds inside paintings in Peach's Castle.

I guess what I'm getting at here is that my idea of a great Mario 3D game that's not Super Mario Galaxy is...

- Takes place in the Mushroom Kingdom
- Immersive hub-town locations like Paper Mario had
- Inbetween the towns, travelling inbetween them is A to B levels like Mario 3D Land
- Levels with power stars at select locations you travel to depending on which town/location you're in
- Mario & Luigi playable with unlockable Yoshi (much like his gameplay in Super Mario 64 DS

Too many ideas. But ah well. I've got faith in Nintendo. ...now I've just gotta wait for Nintendo to repair my console.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Come on man, that's a bit too much for Nintendo. Sadly, I do think they are going to stick to something safe. Much as I'd love to see what you suggested. Anything that comes down to "lore", is thrown away for a Mario game.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
If you want a fantastic story, stick with the Mario RPG series. They're not melodramatic serious like those Final Fantasy games, but they're awesome nonetheless.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Games take a little while to come flowing in for new consoles. The PS4 and Nextbox are prone to this as well. Nintendo needs to get their marketing up to par, as some people still don't see what is so special about Wii U.

And if Nintendo ever announces a Custom Robo game, I will be so happy. I would buy a Wii U today if they announced it. Lol

theeboredone

Smash Legend
If you want a fantastic story, stick with the Mario RPG series. They're not melodramatic serious like those Final Fantasy games, but they're awesome nonetheless.
The Paper Mario series got super stale after the second one. I enjoyed that series, because it did blend story, humor, and that "Mario" feel quite well. I just don't understand why it can't be replicated to the side scrollers or 3D platformers. Galaxy had some of it with the Rosalina background, but that's hardly anything. I mean, I know you have to make your money, but come on Nintendo, challenge yourself at least a little, please.

Blazeth

Smash Apprentice
The Paper Mario series got super stale after the second one. I enjoyed that series, because it did blend story, humor, and that "Mario" feel quite well. I just don't understand why it can't be replicated to the side scrollers or 3D platformers. Galaxy had some of it with the Rosalina background, but that's hardly anything. I mean, I know you have to make your money, but come on Nintendo, challenge yourself at least a little, please.
I don't own Paper Mario: SS, but I have played it at my friends house, so I can tell you it's a lot more tasteful than Super Paper Mario since it's more Paper Mario-ish.
I'd expect them to make a TTYD like game for the U, as that game was retrieved extremely well by pretty much everyone.

finalark

SNORLAX
No shade, but I still stand by my statement lol
I'd like to disagree. The FF series has always been pretty damn goofy, the whole "highly melodramatic and emotional" thing is only a relatively recent development.

Seriously, you'd be surprised how many people don't know that 7 has a cross-dressing scene.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I don't own Paper Mario: SS, but I have played it at my friends house, so I can tell you it's a lot more tasteful than Super Paper Mario since it's more Paper Mario-ish.
I'd expect them to make a TTYD like game for the U, as that game was retrieved extremely well by pretty much everyone.
Hm...I've lost track of the Paper Marios. I liked the two on GC. Didn't like the one on the Wii. I heard the one on the 3DS wasn't really...true to its form.

Blazeth

Smash Apprentice
Hm...I've lost track of the Paper Marios. I liked the two on GC. Didn't like the one on the Wii. I heard the one on the 3DS wasn't really...true to its form.
Although it wasn't that much like the first two games, it still felt like a good Paper Mario game, unlike Super Paper Mario, which I liked, just not as a Paper Mario game.

Top Bottom