• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Eaode

Smash Champion
Wow, I just read that MP3 got pushed to 2007. I was planning that to be my first game :(, whatever, I'll just have Red Steel and TP to play while waiting for MP3, SMG, and SSBB.

Oh, and packaging the Wii with Wii sports in the US is a smart move, since gamers in the US are still sceptical about it. And I never liked the idea of buying a console, and having to buy your first game seperately.

....And I probably wouldn't have gotten Wii sports if it wasn't a bundle.

And Kuji, Aren't they holding the European conference today? I think that's what I heared........ That could answer your question, b/c the conferences only reveal the info. about the respective regions.....

Khorsan

Smash Apprentice
So what do you guys think of Red Steel? After looking what was in the Wii Preview Press Kit, I'm tempted to have that as my first buy, as opposed to Zelda or Monkey Ball. The ability to wield a Katana or guns in Wii-mote style is something that you could consider legendary, as it will be the first FPS for the Wii's crazy controller scheme. Anyone else think they might go for Ubisoft's title as a launch buy?

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
In the latest EGM Rumor Mill, they said that Wii Sports was supposedly supposed to have a bunch more games (like in the Wii Sports package, not separate other games). I know it's isn't totally reliable, but anyone else think there are still more games in Wii Sports that haven't been revealed yet?

Skywalker

Space Jump
To sum it up, EGM said that Red Steel 'sucked', although the Game Informer staff enjoyed it. Odd . . .

EDIT
McFox said:
In the latest EGM Rumor Mill, they said that Wii Sports was supposedly supposed to have a bunch more games (like in the Wii Sports package, not separate other games). I know it's isn't totally reliable, but anyone else think there are still more games in Wii Sports that haven't been revealed yet?
I wouldn't be suprised if hockey was in there. Also, I heard somewhere that Wii Sports will feature boxing. Is that true?

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
What I want to see in Wii Sports is racquetball, although I wasn't planning on buying it, so I'm glad it's being included. Although, if I could save $50 and not get it... I don't know, it's not worth agonizing over. Between now and November is plenty of time for $50 more.

Zink

Smash Champion
So, Wii Sports looks nice. I'm starting to rethink Red Steel. Maybe MP3 will be better. Excite Truck is looking to be quite sweet. Maybe TP+ET+extra controller set?

Eaode

Smash Champion
My Launch Package Buy will probably look like this:

$250 Wii
$50 tLoZ:TP
$50(?) Red Steel
$40-50(?) 5,000 point Wii point card (Includes VC controller)

And that adds up to $350, factor in NY tax and that's ~$392, so basically, $400.

Not too bad, when you think about getting a 360 with no games for the same price.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Not too bad, when you think about getting a 360 with no games for the same price.
There's a $300, 360 you know. You could pick up a 360 and a few $20/$30 games for $400. I'd be extremely surprised if Microsoft didn't announce a holiday bundle that includes a game and another controller or something, too.

And I still don't see the fuss over Red Steel.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Me neither. Red Steel looks unbelievably average.

ExciteTruck looks like a lot of fun, but it doesn't look like its worth 50$. Maybe when it goes to Player's Choice.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
There's a $300, 360 you know. You could pick up a 360 and a few $20/$30 games for $400. I'd be extremely surprised if Microsoft didn't announce a holiday bundle that includes a game and another controller or something, too.

And I still don't see the fuss over Red Steel.
That's not the point. The point is that at launch, he'll be getting relatively more for the same price, instead of waiting over a year for a comprable bundle. Yes, the $400 360 had more memory than the Wii, among a few other things, but people still filled that harddrive up really quickly, so I don't think it will be a huge line of demarcation.

And I agree somewhat on Red Steel, it might have looked good back when it was leaked, but we've seen some of the same uses for the Wiimote and Nunchaku, and some much more creative ones since then, and now it just looks like old hat. The only things that will make it good are the same tried and true feature, interesting play mechanics, good pacing, etc.

If Excite Truck is $29.99, I'll buy it.
Heck if it's $29.99, I'd buy it, and I was never really drawn to it to start with.

bball2012

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hmmm. I don't know what to think.

$250 is too much for the tech they're offering. GameCube is probably no more than $50 tech at this point, and Wii is only a little bit more powerful than that. I never really thought they would have the gall to launch at $50 less than X360, but I guess Nintendo's feeling pretty cocky after all the great press at E3. It's not the end of the world, but it sort of stings. Wii Sports makes it better, but it's probably only a $30 value.

What really irks me is the controller price. It costs $200 to get 3 more full controllers and a classic controller. That's just crazy. Wiimote should have been $35 and nunchuck $15. Yeah I know it's a lot of fancy tech, but that's still no reason to freaking double the price over the GameCube base controller. Meh.

I am pleased that the games finally look a cut above this generation. Mario, Metroid and Zelda all look goregous. Even some 3rd party stuff like Madden and the oft-dissed Red Steel has risen to a level above the Xbox. Still not sure what Nintendo spent those millions on with IBM and ATI, but it'll suffice.

I don't if I'll be getting one straight away. With Metroid delayed, Zelda is the only must-have game, and it'll play fine on my GameCube (in December though, **** you Nintendo). If Red Steel, Excite Truck, and Rayman turn out really great, I might pick up a Wii, Zelda, and one of those. I guess that would run me $350, plus another controller for Wii Sports would make $410, or $450 with tax. That's a lot of moolah.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
He didn't specify at launch, blaksheap. You just added that to his statement. He just said it would be cheaper than buying only a 360 for the same price as all the stuff he's planning on getting with his Wii.

I'm interested in Excite Truck, but agree it doesn't look to be worth $50. Overall I don't really see it selling that well, either, but Nintendo doesn't drop its game prices too fast, so it could be awhile before it drops down to $30 or $20.

edit: bball! I believe you owe me an apology over AIM, mister.

Zink

Smash Champion
Pikmin and Pikmin 2 were both worth $50, though. Amazing games. The first party games we have now are more like minigames.
Also, bball, the Wii is about 2-3 times more powerful than GCN, which is now more like $100 tech. So $250 for a $199 console, $50 game, and $60 controller set, plus all required cables and sensor bar stuff, plus the stylin stand, is a good deal.

smashman90

Smash Lord
Me, I think I might wait and see what all will be out at or around launch time for the Wii like accessories and games. I was most likely going to get MP3 as my first Wii game but since they pushed it I don't know what I am going to get.

Skywalker

Space Jump
I rented Pikmin 2 once, and it was very enjoyable; it's definitely worth $19.99.

On a different subject, will my GCN Action Replay disc work in the Wii?

But ****, I'll need to pay $59.99 for an extra controller because of Wii Sports. :( It looks so cool...

Zink

Smash Champion
Yeah, Gamespot is of the opinion that you probably will not need more than 2 nunchuck attachements- so you only need to buy one.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The main reason I'm getting a Wii? Wario Ware. Why does everyone forget the KING of multiplayer madness?

EDIT: Pics of the "Luigi Green" Wii Dev Kits.

And Shiggy's apparently said they aren't releasing any new colours until sometime in 2007.

Dark Yoshi77

Smash Journeyman
The controllers and attachments are quite steep in price.

console- $250
(4) controllers, nunchucks ($20), classic controllers($10)- approx. $280
games-$50 a pop

So at the very least all this is needed to have a good Wii launch party which would come to about
$580 plus tax.

Lightsaberboy

Smash Champion
I just read thsi article about the wii launch
http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/14/live-at-nintendos-nyc-wii-press-conference/

- Wii Remote has MSRP of $39.99. Nunchuk attachment has MSRP of $19.99. Someone's Q: Will unit hold photos or read from card? A: Majority of storage from SD card, though the unit does have internal storage. Zelda for Game Cube launches December 11th. For Wii on November 19th.
Ahh that's twice as much as a GC remote. Ah well, i guess it makes sense, but still sucks.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Well, you also have to look down the road. Currently all the party games require you to only have the Wiimote. What about in a year when developers are going to be doing new things? There will eventually be party games that use the Nunchuk.

edit: guy above me, Brawl isn't going to be using the any Wii controller, period.

smashman90

Smash Lord
But I wonder what it will mean for those who don't have a gamecube controller(s)? If Brawl doesn't use the wii controller, then how will others play it if they don't have a gamecube controller(s)? Me, I still have mine and I will still keep it until it doesn't work anymore.

Top Bottom