• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

primusfan

Smash Ace
I really hope the Wii will have "Wii Sports" packaged with it.

And another thing. I hope the games for Wii are $50 like normal. Not like the $60 360 games.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
primusfan said:
I really hope the Wii will have "Wii Sports" packaged with it.

And another thing. I hope the games for Wii are $50 like normal. Not like the $60 360 games.
I doubt they'll jump in price. Part of Nintendo's strategy for the Wii is to keep costs down, isn't it? Besides, with lesser graphics, you don't have to put as much money into shaders and such during developement. Then again, has there been enough inflation in the past few years to warrant a rise in prices? They've been 50 dollars since the latter days of the N64.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Iwata has said that he doesn't expect a change in software prices for the Wii. At least not first party games anyway. They have no control over what third parties price their games at.

Zink

Smash Champion
For launch, I'll probably get a Wii, 2 controllers w/ nunchaku attachement, and 3 or 4 games: Red Steel, TP, MP3:C, and Excite Truck all look good. Maybe a classic controller too.

I'm glad games will stay at $50, it's plenty.

Dr.ROC

Smash Apprentice
Games r still going to be 50 bucks, hell yeah! Red steel, legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption are all must have games and I plan on getting them when they come out.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
All three of those are launch games, you'll be able to get them when you pick up your Wii.

Far Cry has piqued my interest as well, along with Monkey Ball, WarioWare, Sonic Wildfire...

Crap, I need some more money.

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
I just got a job so the Wii/Paintball/College fund is now growing. Hmmm....mabe I should rethink the order in which the money is spent.

kaid

Smash Master
Whoever said the Wii will cost less than the PS3 han't seen the launch lineup for the two consoles. Throw in ALL the "must have" games, and the Wii may well top $400 in software costs alone.

Dark Yoshi77

Smash Journeyman
kaid said:
Whoever said the Wii will cost less than the PS3 han't seen the launch lineup for the two consoles. Throw in ALL the "must have" games, and the Wii may well top $400 in software costs alone.
That applies to all consoles...After buying PS3 equipment and games the price will likely be around $800.

smashman90

Smash Lord
I think that the wii might topple both the ps3 and the 360. I mean it will be cheaper than both since it will be 250 dollars or less. Some game series that Nintendo has doesn't really need next gen graphics like smash bros. Super Mario Galaxy, etc. Although some games might look better with next gen graphics like MP3:Corruption, LOZ:TP, Red Steel. Some games might handle well with the wii remote like the wii sports and MP#: Corruption. The 360 will have Halo 3 as its main game against the others and Gears of War. The PS3 doesn't seem to have any good launch titles, most people are probably gonna wait until Metal Gear Solid 4 comes out since that will be the game that all playstation owners are gonna get.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Zink said:
That's a bad launch. No matter how good the titles, if the logistics are botched people will be unable to play.
The PS2 launched the same way, guy. It was sold out and **** hard to find. Not for as long as the 360, but hey, the 360 is selling faster than the PS2 did. If selling out and continuing to sell out is a bad launch, then what's a good launch? Is it how the original Xbox and GameCube launched where you could find them everywhere because they weren't selling very well?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
McFox said:
He means that the Wii has a ton of games that look fun, while the PS3 currently has like 3.
I don't think any of those 3 or so are actually launch titles though.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
it doesn't matter if the PS3 has games or not on launch, did you guys for get BluRay compatability! We can watch all those movies we have.

Seriously though, the fans have already said it; the PS3 will sell out regardless of whether or not there are games avalible for the system on launch. What I'm wondering is how are they planning to make money back on the system now. No more memory cards, and I haven't heard anything about any type of online services. Is Sony expecting BluRay movies to rake in the cash they'll be loosing with each sale?

EDIT:

Hmm... Wii thread this is.

Apparently Nintendo has around what 20 titles ready for launch? Mario and Zelda being to great first party titles, and many other great stuff of all shapes and sizes from other companies as well, just waiting to atract a nice diverse group to the Wii. I can't wait to start seeing the comercials for this thing.

<.<

P.S.
-I'm un-smart.

smashman90

Smash Lord
<3 said:
it doesn't matter if the PS3 has games or not on launch, did you guys for get BluRay compatability! We can watch all those movies we have.

Seriously though, the fans have already said it; the PS3 will sell out regardless of whether or not there are games avalible for the system on launch. What I'm wondering is how are they planning to make money back on the system now. No more memory cards, and I haven't heard anything about any type of online services. Is Sony expecting BluRay movies to rake in the cash they'll be loosing with each sale.?
Yea, but why have bluray when we already have dvd players? Also, the PS3's graphics don't seem better than the 360's, they look just about the same for me. Besides, some games don't require next gen graphics to be good. Look at smash bros., the mario series, maybe sonic the hedgehog. They've done well without great graphics. I mean they have good graphics but they are not like Doom 3 graphics or something like that.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
At what point do graphics no longer become important to the game? What about when they conflict? Granted, graphics can be important for immersion, but what about the money developers have to sink into creating beautifully rendered characters? Couldn't that have been put towards writing a better script, or hiring better voice actors, or getting live musicians? Or hell: Innovating. The reason I am such a Wii fanboy is because the Wii represents what I've been wishing gaming companies would do, but didn't think they would: Creating new and different games for fun, rather than pumping out the same old crap, only with twenty times the realism. Myamato said it himself: The time when graphics influence gameplay is over. We jumped that hurdle with the last generation of games, I think.

Skywalker

Space Jump
Paranoid_Android said:
At what point do graphics no longer become important to the game? What about when they conflict? Granted, graphics can be important for immersion, but what about the money developers have to sink into creating beautifully rendered characters? Couldn't that have been put towards writing a better script, or hiring better voice actors, or getting live musicians? Or hell: Innovating. The reason I am such a Wii fanboy is because the Wii represents what I've been wishing gaming companies would do, but didn't think they would: Creating new and different games for fun, rather than pumping out the same old crap, only with twenty times the realism. Myamato said it himself: The time when graphics influence gameplay is over. We jumped that hurdle with the last generation of games, I think.
I can't disagree with that.

Whenever I observe in Game Informer at games such as Gears of War, I say, "That looks good." That's all I say. Gamers get used to good graphics very quickly; for gameplay, it could take months, even years, for them to tire of a fun battle system. Graphics hardly mean anything to me. I find it obsurd how people are like, " . . . amazing graphics! This will be a great game." Now that the true asethical evolution of 3-D is over, (PS2, XBOX, GCN) I quite frankly have little idea how and why people oggle over games like Oblivion.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Well, if you knew Oblivion provides 100 hours of gameplay easily because of how much stuff there is to do in the game, maybe you'd understand. People oogle over Oblivion because it's one of those rare games that's worth full price. Personally, I don't like spending $50 or $60 on a 5-10 hour game. When I play Oblivion and feel like I'm part of the world because of how well the game is done and I waste hours doing random things, I know the developers did something right and think that is what videogames should be like.

Read up on Gears of War, by the way, everyone who played the multiplayer at E3 was ravving about it, even people like Hideo Kojima.

CodeBlue

Smash Apprentice
The only reason I could see them doing that with Oblivion is because it is better rendered than Morrowind, though the only thing I'm interested in out of either game is the storyline and gameplay because you can't play graphics. I've seen many games be visually pleasing, but have a bad or incomplete script or worse, a buggy game like Mortal Kombat Trilogy was for the PSX.

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
To me there is nothing worse than a bad script. If the game is cheezy at the start odds are I wont make it to the end. There are a lot of games that are excellent without a story (ex: Smash), but anything that can me forget that im sitting in a chair holding a contoller of atleast a moment is a good game for me. I have a feeling some Wii games will be able to do this with just the gameplay. I wont know until I actually get my hands on a Wii though.

Interactivity+Gripping Story=Excellent Game

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
Uh, guys, this isn't the console debates thread. And I think we have already established that gameplay is more important than graphics; you're all just arguing in circles now.

primusfan

Smash Ace
What i'm really wondering is how the multiplayer games will work. Since the controllers are wireless, i'm wondering how the console will know who's who. In other words, you're playing Tennis in Wii Sports as player 1, but all of a sudden your controller starts to control player 2. How does the console know which controller is player 1, 2, 3, or 4.

If anyone's confused by this, tell me and i'll try to explain it more clearly.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I don't know the specifics of it, but it uses something very similar to what the 360 uses, and that works fine.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Additionally, there are four lights on the bottom of each Wiimote. The number player that you are will light up while you're using it, so that everyone knows what player they are.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Well, if you knew Oblivion provides 100 hours of gameplay easily because of how much stuff there is to do in the game, maybe you'd understand. People oogle over Oblivion because it's one of those rare games that's worth full price. Personally, I don't like spending $50 or $60 on a 5-10 hour game. When I play Oblivion and feel like I'm part of the world because of how well the game is done and I waste hours doing random things, I know the developers did something right and think that is what videogames should be like.

Read up on Gears of War, by the way, everyone who played the multiplayer at E3 was ravving about it, even people like Hideo Kojima.
Yeah, that guy said too much. Gears of War and Oblivion not only have great graphics but awesome gameplay as well. People need to understand that good graphics don't = bad game. But they don't equal good game either. Only when there is too much focus on graphics, in such a way that they are the main selling point of a game, does the game become truly lost.
I wouldn't complain if the Wii had incredible graphics. In fact I'd love it. That doesn't mean i'm depressed that its got no HD, and slightly worse graphics in Standard than the 360/PS3. In fact, I'm a bit happy because that keeps the price of the Wii way down. Even if the Wii only had normal controllers, and non of its innovation, I'd still buy it. Why? A) Price B) I like the nintendo franchises C) I'm a fanboy. If the Wii had no innovation, I'd wouldn't hesitate to say the PS3 and Xbox360 were better systems overall(not looking at games). I'd still be perfectly happy with the Wii.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
What i'm really wondering is how the multiplayer games will work. Since the controllers are wireless, i'm wondering how the console will know who's who. In other words, you're playing Tennis in Wii Sports as player 1, but all of a sudden your controller starts to control player 2. How does the console know which controller is player 1, 2, 3, or 4.

If anyone's confused by this, tell me and i'll try to explain it more clearly.
I'm not exactly sure. I do know that both the Wii and every Wii controllers have a "Syncro" button so that you can synchronize a controller with the console (This keeps the console from picking up every other Wii controller within range). So either there's a switch on the controller (none that I know of), Synchronizing also assigns you a player number, or you can pick before you start playing. As for controllers interfering? No chance at all - I'm sure the Wiimote can use many frequencies, so you'll never start controlling the wrong character, or have that happen to you.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
Yeah, that guy said too much. Gears of War and Oblivion not only have great graphics but awesome gameplay as well. People need to understand that good graphics don't = bad game. But they don't equal good game either. Only when there is too much focus on graphics, in such a way that they are the main selling point of a game, does the game become truly lost.
I wouldn't complain if the Wii had incredible graphics. In fact I'd love it. That doesn't mean i'm depressed that its got no HD, and slightly worse graphics in Standard than the 360/PS3. In fact, I'm a bit happy because that keeps the price of the Wii way down. Even if the Wii only had normal controllers, and non of its innovation, I'd still buy it. Why? A) Price B) I like the nintendo franchises C) I'm a fanboy. If the Wii had no innovation, I'd wouldn't hesitate to say the PS3 and Xbox360 were better systems overall(not looking at games). I'd still be perfectly happy with the Wii.
Well stated. I agree with you, I just want to say (partly for Cashed's benefit as well, because he and I have had misunderstandings on this before) that many people still think better graphics = better console. Too many people judge the book by it's cover. (Not saying you do that, Cashed.)

Skywalker

Space Jump
Don't know but graphics aren't everything. Graphics need to be decent but it is the gameplay that matters the most.
I'm glad to find out that someone agrees with me. Graphics can only wow people for so long . . . and, well, I have nothing else to say.:grin:

Skywalker

Space Jump
Not meant to be a religious slur

According to IGN The nintendo wii will be shown off at the Games Convention in Germany August 23-27. New games may be announced. Its like E3 all over again!
Lord, may I ask you of one small favor?

Will you please influence Nintendo to reveal something more about Brawl?

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
they probably will. smash was the best selling game on the cube, and it is one of the most anticipated games for wii.

and have you heard about E3? they're getting rid of a ton of things and it doesn't seem like E3 anymore. no demos, no booth babes, just a few reporters and press conferences.

anyway, Wii ***** the competition and i am going to buy it as soon as i can.

kaid

Smash Master
According to Matt Cassimasina, Gamestop may have the TP and MP3 dates reversed- MP3 may or may not actually be availiable at launch, do to marketing reasons.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
What I want is a freaking release date.

*NOTE*
I have no idea how accurate these are, but it's something to think about.
Completely inaccurate, if I had to guess, since TP is a launch title, yet isn't the earliest release...

... and because it's a gamestop webpage, which is just as inaccurate as the EB webpage, and all the other ones.

primusfan

Smash Ace
According to Matt Cassimasina, Gamestop may have the TP and MP3 dates reversed- MP3 may or may not actually be availiable at launch, do to marketing reasons.
Paranoid, did you read kaids post? I still don't know how accurate these dates are but if they really did get the MP3 and TP dates mixed up, that means that Wii could be launching in early October. That would be so great (if the info is right).

Top Bottom