• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Dragmire

Smash Lord
sorry I got off topic just a bit

I heard the Wii is getting an update somewhere around a week from now that includes video footage of news events on news channel is this true?

Yoshistar64

Smash Journeyman
I don't remember actually i just saw a rumor a while ago and it would be neat to have if it were real
Yeah, it would, but I remember the article on the News Channel where the kid's feet got cut off by a wire in Six Flags...

I wouldn't like to see in depth news footage of THAT.

That would be the only con.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
eh, updates have been short as of late. usually we only get updates when major titles come out for the Wii.

when was the last time we got an update? wasn't it when the shop channel was upgraded?

Yoshistar64

Smash Journeyman
eh, updates have been short as of late. usually we only get updates when major titles come out for the Wii.

when was the last time we got an update? wasn't it when the shop channel was upgraded?
I think it was the Check Mii Out Channel...? I don't know.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Remember: Game information and discussion goes in the relative game's topic!

This topic is for discussion about Wii hardware, software updates, etc. Discuss Rock Band for the Wii in the Rock Band topic, where it was already posted it was confirmed for the Wii.
I am a foolish person. I have seen the error of my ways.

and blazer is a troll.

Only trolls go into topics dedicated to a console and then basically say they hate everything about it.

as for the news channel thing, i haven't heard about that. The only TV streaming thing i think nintendo's done with any system was the TV tuner for the DS. and I don't think they'd do that because of the effort it would require. Not only would every country require a different stream, but people would get annoyed if the news station wasn't one they approved of. Personally I'd be happy with anything but Fox :D

blazer787

Smash Journeyman
did i not say this guy was a troll
i supose short and simple answers won't cut it eh.
rock band won't have extra content just because of the system it is released on, and the wii can't suport DLC
i often find it funny that, when a game is released on all the other consols exept the wii, you guy barely mention it. but once it is released for the wii you treat it like a god. a game on every system but one, when released on that one, months later, somehow makes the consul that much cooler and "the best"

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
you are correct sir, it doesn not make the wii any better, dragmire was being a fanboy.

However, you sir, are a troll. Get out of the topic if the entire contents of every single one of your posts are "The wii lacks these games and I hate it". No one cares. Go on hating it in the console debates. Just because you don't like anygames on the wii, doesn't mean we don't. Conversely, you don't have to like games we like. BECAUSE IT'S A ****ING FREE COUNTRY AND YOU ARE ALLOWED TO HAVE AN OPINION. However, when no one else CARES about your opinion, i's a waste of space and gets people upset. You're like a homophobe going into the gay smashers thread. Why on earth would you? You're going to get people upset, get upset yourself, and nothing will be accomplished. So please enjoy the games you love, and we'll enjoy ours without hearing about how much you hate them.

Sandy

Smash Champion
Rock Band Confirmed for Wii
EA's CEO mentions the game's 'coming launch' during a conference call.

In a third-quarter conference call today, Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello confirmed that a Wii version of Rock band is forthcoming.

Riccitiello mentioned the game at the end of the call's question-and-answer session. There was no release date given, but Riccitiello referred to the "coming launch" of a Wii version of the game.

There's been speculation about a Wii installment of Rock Band's since the game was announced. In April 2007, Harmonix CEO Alex Rigopulos said a Wii-specific version of the title would be coming out in the future.

"We will, at some time, bring Rock Band to every [important] platform," Rigopulos said at the time, adding that Harmonix would optimize future versions of Rock Band to fit the strengths of the platform. "I think the Wiimote is something that holds enormous promise."

Despite Rigopulos' strong statements, no official announcement had been made about a Wii version of Rock Band until Riccitiello's off-hand statement in today's conference call.

After the call, we contacted an EA rep for more details, but all we got was a confirmation that, indeed, a Wii version of Rock Band is coming.

There's still no release date (let alone any word on instruments or how additional song content might work on the Wii), but we'll let you know as soon as more info presents itself.

Source

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
*sigh*

I'm going to start giving infractions for people who don't use the correct topics for discussing games.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
So how about the wii's hardware eh?
Best cords of all the next gen systems.

oh, and are there any cooling units, mine has been over heating. lame eh?

Sensai

Smash Master
WGWOLVERINE: You just made me chuckle. Best chords...haha.

And yes, there are plenty of cooler things. You've really had problems with heat? HOW?! Do you have it next to a furnace or something?

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
If it's standing up, make sure it's in the stand. i've had friends with it standing up but not on a stand, and that blocks one of the vents.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
If you leave the thing plugged in all the time, it can get **** hot. It's been discussed before, but yeah, I always keep my Wii unplugged because I don't like how hot it is when I'm not even playing it.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
I never really notice, and I had it plugged in for like a year straight without any problems. Do so at your discretion I guess.

Yoshistar64

Smash Journeyman
I never really notice, and I had it plugged in for like a year straight without any problems. Do so at your discretion I guess.
I as well. Don't put the Wii near something flammable, and... and... yeah the obvious.

I just packed my Wii up because GH3 froze on me again and I couldn't connect to the internet

this rage will leave by next week
Maybe the Guitar Hero 3 was a bad copy and the connection of yours betrayed you at the time.

ThatInsaneKid

Smash Cadet
Uh... I have a small problem here.

Whenever I play Wii games, my Wii starts emitting this very loud, obnoxious buzzing. Mostly, this happens when I play Fire Emblem, Guitar Hero 3, Metroid Prime 3, and Trauma Center: New Blood. I haven't really played any other games lately, so I'm not quite sure if my Wii is just ********, or what.

Help?

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
So, the other night my Wii was in standby mode and the disc blue light was on and flickered from time to time. Is this a problem?

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I was kind of excited about Everybody's Nintendo Channel but when I heard it was a bunch of videos I was disappointed. Really, what's the point? I downloaded the metroid preview and watched like 2 vids.

I'd really like to see some proper DLC, not just lame 30 second videos.

S2

Smash Lord
So, the other night my Wii was in standby mode and the disc blue light was on and flickered from time to time. Is this a problem?
Was the light simply getting dimmer and then brighter back and forth?

That means that you just got a message. If you've got stuff like check-mii-out on your system, it'll send you messages. Otherwise someone on your buddy list sent you something.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
does anyone think that it's worth it to buy a mod chip and torrenting Brawl just to play it right now?
i would buy a modchip, but i cant find any.

S2

Smash Lord
does anyone think that it's worth it to buy a mod chip and torrenting Brawl just to play it right now?
i would buy a modchip, but i cant find any.
Not at this point.

Importing Brawl when it first came out may have been, but now its not really worth it. Factor in the time it'll take to get the modchip - its really not worth the money to simply get the game a tad bit early.

Also, for future reference don't say your going to torrent games. Emulation is illegal and the site doesn't condone or allow asking for or telling how to get illegal games.

Sensai

Smash Master
@ Black Waltz: It's probably best to avoid using such illegal terms.

That being said, no, it was NEVER worth it to 'find' Smash online. The fact is that for the majority of the mod chips, it didn't work correctly. If you had modded your Wii and had ordered it from Japan from the very beginning...maybe. But not now.

[Edit:]

I lied. The most prominent mod chip is now workable with a backup copy of Brawl.

Also, Nintendo Power's big revelation? Tales of Symphonia coming to the US:

http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/20...ig-reveal-tales-of-symphonia-coming-to-the-u/

[Edit 2:]

THQ has announced a new game: Band Mashups. To be honest...it looks ****ty. Rock Band with less a focus on music.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/02/07/thq-announces-band-mashups-wii-exclusive-rhythm-game-for-april/
http://kotaku.com/353705/thq-mixes-genres-with-band-mashups

For those who were hoping for an Animal Crossing MMO (not me...but I figured the rumors were there 'cause SOMEBODY wanted it) it's been denied by Iwata...sorta. Basically, he states that Nintendo isn't interested in an MMO unless it appeals to gamers from '5 to 95.' Dunno why he's discriminating against the elders...but whatever.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6185358.html

From the article:
GS: Taking a step back from games for a second, a lot of companies are working hard on building up massively multiplayer games or virtual worlds like Second Life. The Wii infrastructure is set up now, the Mii avatars have taken hold, and you've got experience in making virtual worlds from Animal Crossing. Do you have any plans for creating an avatar-based service like, say, Sony's forthcoming PlayStation Home for the Playstation 3?

SI: The first question I would ask is whether the service is fun if you're 5 or 95, if you're tech-savvy and if you're computer illiterate. If that's not a hurdle we can get past, it's not something Nintendo is going to pursue.

Take the Miis, for example. Sure, we could go crazy with the interface until it was so customizable that you could make an avatar that looked like anyone you could imagine. But it's because the interface is the way that it is now that the average person can pick it up and create a family member's portrait and feel a personal connection to games unlike anything available in the past. Mii is the answer we came up with after a long process of questioning just how low we could keep that entrance threshold.

In that respect, the virtual-world services out there now still aren't at a place where we'd like to join in--and certainly not to the point that we'd want to jump into competition with everybody else. We'd rather focus on doing things that nobody else would do.

Our job is to constantly look into what people find fun and interesting. I mean, nobody else wants to develop a video game where you get on the scale and see how much you weigh. [Laughs] That's how we're able to keep offering people surprises and entertainment, so even if we were to make a virtual-world-like product, we'd be sure to make it something that nobody would call it a product similar to another company's offering.
Also...a new rumor states that Everybody's Nintendo Channel (y'know, the DS to Wii demo channel that Japan's had since late November of last year) might be coming Stateside soon.

http://kotaku.com/353605/everyones-nintendo-channel-us-bound-soon

Yoshistar64

Smash Journeyman
The only thing I would be hyped up about is the DS downloads in the Everybody's Nintendo Channel. I'm sick of the trailers from Brawl... I WANNIT ALREADY!

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I think I'll be getting a Wii before summer now. With a PS3 and a top of the line PC, all MY gaming needs are met, but my girlfriend likes short mini-game esque experiences, though I got her into Gametap, particularly Sam and Max, and Gunbound. She liked the idea of us getting a Wii.

So, there's that.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Wii purchased from Wal-Mart.com. They shafted us with taxes, but our pre-shafting price was $718, which included the Wii, a nunchunk/controller, a classic controller, Mario Party 8, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, Mario Strikers, Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles, Warioware, and some other game. I'll probably buy a few classic titles too. Not bad overall.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I got my Wii in a bundle. I was glad I got my Wii but the bundle sucked hard. 3 attachments I don't need, 1 nunchuka [might come in handy] and some baseball game [I never opened it]. Probably the worst bundle I've ever seen.

S2

Smash Lord
Wii purchased from Wal-Mart.com. They shafted us with taxes, but our pre-shafting price was $718, which included the Wii, a nunchunk/controller, a classic controller, Mario Party 8, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, Mario Strikers, Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles, Warioware, and some other game. I'll probably buy a few classic titles too. Not bad overall.
Was that a bundle that they forced you to buy in order to get the system?

If it was, you walked away with a ton of really good games there. Because that would certainly be one of the best bundles I've seen ever.

They used to force a lot of shovelware games down your throat to get the system.

So enjoy your new Wii! Now is really the right time to invest, since the first year was really slow up until late Fall.

I'd also recommend RE4:Wii edition if you haven't played it. Awesome game which was only made better by the IR function on Wii. But of course, between Galaxy and Paper Mario as single player adventures and the rest of your multiplayer based games - man you could lose a lot of time to gaming. :)

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
It's not an investment; it's a deficit. Investments usually indicate that I CAN gain a profit, but consoles require you to spend money to play them.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5303671 - that's the bundle. I think we bought the last one, haha.

If I wasn't splitting it with my girlfriend (it's really her Wii, but since I paid half/know more about games than her, she let me pick the games), I woulda gotten a lot more games that I wanted. Like Metroid, Zelda, and something else that I forgot.

Anyone who wants a Wii, just be prepared to pay $100 over what that price says, but really, that's about what you'd pay ANYWAY.

Top Bottom