• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
You know what's awesome about Nintendo?

(For those that have modded Wii's they warn us: "To those who have made technical modifcations to their Wii console this update will render the system inoperable. If you do not wish to update your console please hold the power button for 4 seconds to shut down the Wii console."

O_o

Wow go Nintendo!

Warning pirates that their 200 bux might go down the drain if they download the update...I give Nintendo respect for doing that.
They only say that because they don't want to be liable with that crap as they don't know what their update will to a modded system.

They update can't actually do **** about mod chips, as they are drive mods and don't actually do a thing with the BIOS.

They only thing they can do is block some disks, which they did, but was father fruitless since it is pretty easy to work around.

What I find funny is, that the 3.0 update is actually WORSE for people WITHOUT MOD CHIPS. You guys have to say goodbye to your Datel products like Action Replay and MaxDrive Pro. I hope you didn't have one, lawl.

btw, not everyone who uses a mod chip is a pirate just to let you know. There is a lot of good softdev out there that now, you need a modchip to run on Wii's. Some people were doing it a legal type way using Action Replay, but now everyone needs a mod chip I guess.

TheDSGamer

Smash Cadet
What I find funny is, that the 3.0 update is actually WORSE for people WITHOUT MOD CHIPS. You guys have to say goodbye to your Datel products like Action Replay and MaxDrive Pro. I hope you didn't have one, lawl.
Are you serious? Man I'm lucky that I haven't downloaded the update yet.

Sensai

Smash Master
It's lookin' appealing as an Animal Crossing that's going to be available soon.

If they both released the same day, I'd go with AC.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
My Sims is looking what I expected Animal Crossing to be, in a real city, not some country town. Can't wait ^^

Chill

Red
BRoomer
If that article on the las page was a reference to a Metroid demo that would be cool. But given that the preview channel took such a long amount of time to download and it was only a link I'm skeptical. The game will also be available fairly soon. I wouldn't mind being wrong though.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Hey guys. Has anyone played Madden 08 yet? How's the online?
I haven't played it yet, but I do know that there aren't any FC's, and you can send people messages, but they're preset. I've heard there's virtually no lag.

EA Nation does things right.

Ima pick it up as soon as I get the cash. I loved 07 for Wii, me and my friends have a blast with that- even though we suck tremendously.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I feel so left out, I don't even have a Wii. What are the chances of a price drop before brawl?

Zink

Smash Champion
There was a recent thing on Kotaku, I believe, that said there's a parts shortage, and that the supply problems will likely continue for the rest of the year.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
D'oh! I guess I'm going to have to sell myself to get a Wii.

*throws on overcoat*
*stands under streetlight*

I wonder why Wii is still selling out even though it's almost been out for a year, unless the parts shortage is that bad.

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^

To my knowledge...no. Sadly.

Speaking of hoembrew/modding, they have officially been able to get DVDs/DVRs to run in modded Wiis now. Modded as in...chips, not DVD drives. Meaning the drive is there (jeah, it's old news but - ). Meaning that Nintendo could (read: should) give us all a nice little update that allows us to play DVDs.

It won't happen as they would have nothing to gain, but it'd still be cool.

From what I've heard about Madden's online play, it's off to a bumpy start. They're doing some type of patching thing right now (or that's what they say at least) and they're monitoring people's playing and seeing how best to do this and that and yadda yadda...you get the idea. From what I've heard, it's buggy. But, they're attempting to fix it.

And I know this should go in the Metroid Prime 3 topic, but I'm gonna post it in here as it actually has something to do with the state of Wii gaming as well as the actual game. MP3 _allegedly_ got a perfect 10 from Nintendo Power magazine.
http://www.infendo.com/wii/metroid-prime-3-gets-its-first-perfect-score/

It definitely makes me feel good to know that Nintendo has completely thrown in the towel on us more dedicated gamers. Definitely definitely. Their main focus might be shifting from hardcore to casual, but along the way, it looks like we're still going to be treated with some decent games.

Nintendo Power, according to the article, didn't give OoT or TP a perfect 10. TP we all know didn't deserve one, but OoT not getting one...gives me very high hopes for this game.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Nintendo Power gave Twilight Princess 9.5, and really, it's Nintendo rating their own games. I'll wait to see reviews from Gamespot and Game Informer (who I tend to agree with the most) before passing judgement.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Nintendo Power gave Twilight Princess 9.5, and really, it's Nintendo rating their own games. I'll wait to see reviews from Gamespot and Game Informer (who I tend to agree with the most) before passing judgement.
Well if you mean the Wii version....

Game Spot: 8.8 Wii game of the year *hated that review=me being a rabbid fanboy*
Game Informer: 2 10/10's, Game of the Month, Game of the Year [2006]

@ Red Exodus
It's diffrent from all other systems before=virtual technology. No other system has successfully based itself around virtual technology and such interactive gameplay before....and succeeded. I saw some stat for April 2007, and the Wii was like 70% of the home console sales market. It continues to put up such stats, along with the DS in handhelds market.

And if this "part shortage" ends, Nintendo will put enough Wiis out a high supply of Wiis for the high demand. Then they'll make even more bank. This "part shortage" is making them a lot of publicity, and money! Nintendo loves "part shortages" for sure! :chuckle:

Qwester

BRoomer
BRoomer
^^^

To my knowledge...no. Sadly.

Speaking of hoembrew/modding, they have officially been able to get DVDs/DVRs to run in modded Wiis now. Modded as in...chips, not DVD drives. Meaning the drive is there (jeah, it's old news but - ). Meaning that Nintendo could (read: should) give us all a nice little update that allows us to play DVDs.

It won't happen as they would have nothing to gain, but it'd still be cool.

From what I've heard about Madden's online play, it's off to a bumpy start. They're doing some type of patching thing right now (or that's what they say at least) and they're monitoring people's playing and seeing how best to do this and that and yadda yadda...you get the idea. From what I've heard, it's buggy. But, they're attempting to fix it.

And I know this should go in the Metroid Prime 3 topic, but I'm gonna post it in here as it actually has something to do with the state of Wii gaming as well as the actual game. MP3 _allegedly_ got a perfect 10 from Nintendo Power magazine.
http://www.infendo.com/wii/metroid-prime-3-gets-its-first-perfect-score/

It definitely makes me feel good to know that Nintendo has completely thrown in the towel on us more dedicated gamers. Definitely definitely. Their main focus might be shifting from hardcore to casual, but along the way, it looks like we're still going to be treated with some decent games.

Nintendo Power, according to the article, didn't give OoT or TP a perfect 10. TP we all know didn't deserve one, but OoT not getting one...gives me very high hopes for this game.
It's a trump card they can only play once really, I still wouldn't put any faith in a NP review of a nintendo product. The hype they have created over giving their first 10/10 score is really a bit over the top, especially when other previews have been so lacking by comparison.

Sensai

Smash Master
I'm certainly CERTAINLY not saying that Nintendo Power should be trusted completely. Of course it's essentially Nintendo fanboys (or Nintendo themself) rating a Nintendo game. That being said, they do end up **** talking some of the Nintendo stuff. That DS Wario game comes to mind right off the top of my head.

Also, Metroid Prime 3 might have....achievement-esque thingys. Look at this article.
http://kotaku.com/gaming/news-unlocked/metroid-prime-3-gets-mini+achievements-291107.php

I'm not so sure that I believe it. There are plenty of times where a 'blue token' could appear in a game without it being anything more then situational.

APImagine

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo, on the surface, anyways, seems a little light when it comes to rating games. Whether it be intentional or not, I obviously don't know.

I tend to ignore number ratings altogether, they're only a very VERY base representation of a particular game. The text within the review says more than the numbers do. (no weak pun intended)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Picked up Red Steel today, only $50 used, controls are taking a bit to get useed to, opening doors feels a bit tacked on right now, but it's cool playing a shooter with the Wiimote. ^^ Haven't tried multiplayer though, hope that's good.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Picked up Red Steel today, only $50 used, controls are taking a bit to get useed to, opening doors feels a bit tacked on right now, but it's cool playing a shooter with the Wiimote. ^^ Haven't tried multiplayer though, hope that's good.
Online obliviously isn't great like a Halo or Smash will be but it is good.
I had the same problems at first but you'll get used to it once you get in like 5 levels through.;)

Oh and you got burned. I can get it 40$ new and 30$ new..>_>

Is Metroid Prime 3 gonna have any downloadable stages or suits?
Don't know but I doubt it. There isn't online play so what would be the point for stages? Wouldn't be a loss if it didn't happen.

Twilight Princess got a 10/10 on the Wii for Nintendo Power. 9.5/10 for the Gamecube. Both Nintendo Power. Game Informer gave both a 10. Had to inform that.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
I LOVE the single player in Red Steel. It lasted me 10 hours, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I really loved the skill of freezing time to shoot people's guns out of their hands or just blast some led into their skull. Many people complain about the swordfighting, but I think it's done really well. Besides 1:1, I can't imagine how they could've done it better.

As for multiplayer, the graphics SUCK. I mean, like, N64 suck. It looks maybe a little better than goldeneye. Given, it's hella fun. When you get to know the stages and when you get good with 'nades, it really is a very skillful game, especially since headshots kill in one hit, but anything else takes around 4. Sniping is really easy and it's great having pistol wars from across the stage, because with good aim, you can still headshot.

I would advocate taking off the lock on option, though. It makes it too easy to just blast the hell out of people.

I was very pleased with Red Steel, and I would give it a 7.5/10.

Red Steel 2 is one of my MUST HAVE games for next year.
I actually WOULD think that this is going to happen. I think Retro hinted at this in some NP article or something. I can definetly see it happening, especially since there's no multiplayer.

Creo, you misunderstood him when he said stages he meant new maps, worlds, missions, etc. To add to the single player.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Creo, you misunderstood him when he said stages he meant new maps, worlds, missions, etc. To add to the single player.
I erased those things of Red Steel cause they may be spoilers to Mic.

Yeah I know he meant that for Single. The Missions and worlds would be good but for Maps, I think he meant Multiplayer. Sure for two people it might last a month or two but then be done. No one will stick to this game and it will be a waste due to you will never really get into it if you know what I am trying to say.;)

Mic was talking Aussie dollars. In Australia new games are like $80 (mirirte?).
Yeah I forgot he was Australian. My bad...still, how much do those differ from the U.S.? Obliviously one can say 30 by your standards but...

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Mic was talking Aussie dollars. In Australia new games are like $80 (mirirte?).
Some are. Annoyingly most new games are $100, which with the exchange rate, makes no sence what-so-ever. It's the equivelent of you guys paying about 655-70 for a new game.

Oh and some 360 and PS3 games are $110 >.<

Sensai

Smash Master
Nintendo Warrior said:
Nintendo's REALLY been pushing MP3, and with this whole buzz about these achievement-esque things, it could be possible that they're intending to make it a longer experience then just the single playthrough.

Red Steel was, IMO, a pretty decent game. The soundtrack was just downright incredible and the graphics (single player, mind you) weren't bad at all. RS2 will be a buy, definitely.

Also, I'd like to draw attention to Battalion Wars II, which hasn't been really mentioned since...about a year ago, actually. Below is, according to Infendo, some things that we may not know about the game.

Infendo said:
-Release date: October 29th, 2007
-ESRB: Teen
-Tricked into believing that the Solar Empire is developing a devastating super-weapon, Commander Pierce and Colonel Windsor of the Anglo Isles launch a pre-emptive strike on the Coral Atolls. The world is once again at war.
-Nintendo WFC: 3 different online modes including…
· Assault: Instant Combat (King of the Hill style)
· Skirmish: Tactical depth (Base Battles/Capture the Flag)
· Co-op: Work with friends
-LAN Play: Connect two Wiis via LAN line for intense battles locally.
-New combat element: Water. This brings new marine units including Battleship, Frigate, Submarine, Dreadnought, Transport
-You must use all elements of combat: land, sea and air combat-6 different races, 5 different environments each with new units and vehicles
-More tactics: Capture facility buildings to re-spawn units (HQ, Barracks, Factories, Airfield, and Docks)
-Map Screen Commanding: Get a birds eye view to manage your troops from a far
-Larger game depth: 20+ single-player missions and 15+ multiplayer missions.
Increased replay value.
-Wii Remote: Get a better feel for the battlefield with an intuitive and accurate control scheme.
LAN. Does that mean WLAN, too? I assume not, as it says a 'LAN line'...but it's still nice to know that it's there. Cassamassina, about a year ago, mentioned that it was using WLAN, so my hopes are still up there.

The other thing I bolded was just interesting to me 'cause I enjoy RTSs. I never played the original BW, so I'm not sure if this is a new feature or not, but that's cool.

A video game version of Life has been confirmed. Looks spiffy...I wonder if it'll make it out of the region.
http://kotaku.com/gaming/lucky-day/wii-life-game-with-miis-slides-and-ufo-butts-291517.php

And, finally, a small and barely visible ray of hope shining through the 'Wii don't have demos' gloom. A questionnaire from Nintendo Power apparently mentions game demos via WiiConnect24. I call it as 'they're just interested' until I see something happen.
http://kotaku.com/gaming/maybe-baby/nintendo-canvassing-for-wii-demos-291563.php

[Edit:]

And, although this isn't the place for VC games, Super Metroid was re-released today. Go get it.

Sensai

Smash Master
I'm officially running out of space. Of course everyone is, but I mean...it's dire. I probably only have 3 or 4 more downloads left.

And I'm _FINALLY_ able to watch the MP3 videos. I'm not going to bring it up again, but I just wanted you all to know that I've finally gotten a chance to watch.

Top Bottom