• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

AS Juggernaut

Smash Journeyman
The zapper looks kinda neat, but isn't it completely useless?

The Wii's whole motto was that the Wiimote makes a perfect light-gun on it's own.
Not only that but people who used it said that it didnt really feel to good to use it and it felt clunky.

Sensai

Smash Master
Buzz, what you're (probably) referring to is a mention of WLAN by IGN last year with their first hands on of Battalion Wars II. They DEFINITELY mention it and even after the Internet exploded with 'ZOMG WIRELESS LAN FOR WII' they stuck with it.

It doesn't seem like it would be all that hard to do...

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
The zapper is just there for those who want it. Be glad they did not require a new $60 peripheral for use with one game. I personally think it looks pretty cool and am eager to try it.

Foxman15

Smash Journeyman
It is not required for use, as you can easily just move and shoot as by holding the nunchuck in your left hand and the wiimote in your right. It just makes you feel like your actually the protagonist withing the first person shooter. If I buy a first person shooter later this year, I will gladly pay an extra $20 for the zapper. Seems sweet!

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
I wonder how much effort goes into making 'games' like Wii fitness, rather than more hardcore material like Metroid Prime 3. Also, has the overall difficulty in Nintendo games gone down, or do you think there will still be a place for deep, immersive, difficult, and rewarding games in the coming years for the Wii? Also, I hope third party development goes well, 'cause it's certainly been elusive so far; and if Nintendo can acquire more second party developers, all the better.

Sensai

Smash Master
On its way, December 3rd.

From what I've heard, Wii Fit is actually somewhat difficult. IGN seems to think it's pretty dayamn hard.

And I don't think things are getting easier...for proof, I point out Mario Sunshine's second half of the game.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
I want to listen to the Wii-k in Review over at IGN, but it won't work. Their video's never load for me either, and with all the cool new stuff, I'm getting a little pissed.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Well, whatever happened to the classic EASY/MEDIUM/HARD choices for games? On one hand, I was kind of glad that games started ridding themselves of the difficulty settings, but now I sort of miss them. Twilight Princess needs an upper difficulty setting. I can only pray that Metroid Prime 3 sticks with formula and allows a hard mode after beating the game. To me, hard mode is the way the game should feel.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Well, whatever happened to the classic EASY/MEDIUM/HARD choices for games? On one hand, I was kind of glad that games started ridding themselves of the difficulty settings, but now I sort of miss them. Twilight Princess needs an upper difficulty setting. I can only pray that Metroid Prime 3 sticks with formula and allows a hard mode after beating the game. To me, hard mode is the way the game should feel.
EXACTLY my question. In Rainbow 6 Vegas, two settings: Normal and Realistic. No explanation of what's the difference or anything. Not as bad as Postal 2: Share the Pain, it had 20 difficulty settings.

Wii Fit is such a lame idea. I see no way to validate a fitness video game, honestly. The target for that is obviously older people who want to make exercise fun and enjoyable. Also, isn't the exercise regimen based of the Japanese style of slow toning, rather than the types we are used to. I just think it's a poor idea overall and was just a reason to get the workout board.

As for the Zapper, I thought the joystick to move was right behind it:

It was posted earlier, but a clearer pic.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
the zapper is wimpy and a waste of money. seriously, $20 for a shell of plastic and an extended b-trigger. not only that, but it limits your options since the nunchuck and wiimote have to move together. The original zapper prototype was badass. I t was like a shotgun. and the analog was built in. furthermore, you have to have a nunhuck for each zapper. so for each zapper you get, you have to make sure you've aslo got a nunchuck. so playing with the zapper is using an $80 controller. Cheap console my ***. Although i still haven't spent as much as I would for a PS3. But, let's see, $20 zapper, $20 classic controller, $20 wheel attachment. Yup, it's a $310 console. and each extra controller after that is $120. Lol.

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^

I'm pretty sure that will happen, actually, as just about every single 3rd party gun peripheral looks (and probably operates) better then Nintendo's official one. I'd be surprised if those sales didn't spike upwards now that Nintendo's messed up.

I agree that most games are too easy these days. I'm not saying I want Contra level difficulty (J33bus Christ no), but a nice Kid Icarus or Ninja Gaiden difficulty would be nice.

Cashed: Wii Fit, for me at least, seems to be Nintendo flipping the more hardcore crowd the bird. 'Well, we've got MP3, Galaxy, Disaster, Brawl....but here's WII FIT!!'

But in a way it makes sense. Look at how Wii Sports has done in the media. It's heralded as one of the best video games of all time and not only for its innovative gameplay, but also for its ability to help people lose weight. It's DDR, but from a major publisher who's already gotten the media's attention.

Sandy

Smash Champion
Can someone verify this for me?

Nintendo said:
In another move that'll please Wii owners looking for a deeper online experience, Nintendo announced the Wii version of Medal of Honor will include an online mode supporting up to 32 players. It'll support the newly-announced Wii Zapper, too

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
SandTiger: I cant' seem to find anything about it besides Reggie's comments.

ChRed2AKrisp said:
the zapper is wimpy and a waste of money. seriously, $20 for a shell of plastic and an extended b-trigger.
Actually, it's a shell of plastic, extended B-Trigger, and an ORIGINAL NINTENDO-MADE GAME. I can't wait to see this mystery game. Duck Hunt, anyone?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I just think it's a poor idea overall and was just a reason to get the workout board.
IF it hits its target then it's a good move. Wii sports worked and this is just more love to the non-gamers. Don't see why it's so bad. E3 is the electronics entertainment. Not the Gamers power hour. IT's a place for them to show off their new ideas. I won't be getting it, though as has been suggested, I can see it working awesome in snowboarding/surfing/skateboarding games, DDR maybe too. And a pedal for any sort of Time Crisis game would be sweet.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
SandTiger, it's true. We had this discussion a page back, and I heard it while watching the conference.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Oh crap, this is the beginning of the EGM story they did a few months ago: 'Gaming 10 years from now'

Ignoring the lack of technology, it's the same thing that's happing now. They said that the term 'gamer' would be redundant because everyone would be gamers. WiiFit and Wii sports are the first games to try to break that barrier. Now I'd be happy if everyone was a gamer [well..... maybe, maybe not] but if that means Nintendo stops making 'hardcore' games then I'll be pissed.

I think I'm starting to sound crazy so I'll stop now.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I don't think there is too much to worry about. Expanding the fan base means more third parties will want to jump on board. Even if Nintendo gives us nothing outside of Metroid Prime or Red Steel, someone will recognize the lucrative possibilities and make some solid titles. Look at the PS2! It gained awesome support over the years because Sony sold so many units. Wii is on the same track. :)

Sensai

Smash Master
This Wiik in review holds a little bit of interesting stuff.

Matt and Bozon apologize for Nintendo not showing off the revived franchise. Then Matt said something like...'If they don't do it, someone else will so' and Bozon told him 'no they couldn't.' And then Matt said 'you can draw your own conclusions to that.'

Miyamoto kinda hinted at an 1080...kinda. 'We mentioned Wii Fit and how they should use the board for a snowboarding game and mentioned 1080 and Miyamoto did his smile thing.'

Smash news within a month and a half, says Matt. 'Big Smash news.' And he's convinced it'll be online unless 'something big happens at Nintendo.'

They are also of the mind that Nintendo has shifted focus from the hardcore to the casual, at least somewhat. They asked Miyamoto to say something about some exciting hardcore game (telling him he didn't have to be specific as they knew he couldn't) and Miyamoto had to think about it for a while. Then he said something like 'Well, as you know we've aquired some new studios and they have some exciting things coming.' It's kinda sad that he couldn't name something Nintendo...but then again, he might just be shining light on a 2nd party.

Battalion Wars II news they expect at Leipzeig (spelling...sorry, I'm so tired), as it was unveiled there.

I think that's it...

Matt just said, 'Rock band will be coming to Wii by the way but not until next year.' Sweet!

Ok, I think THAT'S it.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES.

I was going to buy a 360 if Rock Band didn't come to Wii, because I YEARN for that game.

Sensai

Smash Master
GAW, I'm exactly with you. My question now is when exactly next year...I mean, if we have to wait a full year to get the game then it won't even be worth it. If it's a few months, then I can deal with it.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Evan, they aren't talking about Mario Strikers.

And uhm, we're talking Matt, the same guy who says that Halo DS exists, right? You're believing him that Rock Band on the Wii exists? And why would online be "big" news, as Nintendo already said they hoped to incorporate it into Brawl? A confirmation of "yes, online does exist" isn't big news.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Evan, they aren't talking about Mario Strikers.

And uhm, we're talking Matt, the same guy who says that Halo DS exists, right? You're believing him that Rock Band on the Wii exists? And why would online be "big" news, as Nintendo already said they hoped to incorporate it into Brawl? A confirmation of "yes, online does exist" isn't big news.

Sensai

Smash Master
SWF is being a little screwy for ye mods, neh?

Cashed, have you ever read Wizard's First Rule? It's a good book, one I'd recommend to anyone who enjoys fantasy type stuff. The basic premise of the book is that people will believe what they want to, regardless of the facts.

So, yes, I believe Matt about Rock Band. :-D.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
SWF is being a little screwy for ye mods, neh?

Cashed, have you ever read Wizard's First Rule? It's a good book, one I'd recommend to anyone who enjoys fantasy type stuff. The basic premise of the book is that people will believe what they want to, regardless of the facts.

So, yes, I believe Matt about Rock Band. :-D.
Unless, Nintendo announces a HDD Rock Band seems like it would be pretty meh on the Wii. I seriously thought they would announce on at E3.

I also wanted to post to show how many problems I'm not having with the site.

Sensai

Smash Master
Ye GAWDS what the hell is up with SWF? The Playstation 3 thread has just been owned by a whole bunch of lag or something.

I was expecting an HDD too, Chill. Maybe it'll happen at TGS or Leipzeig (spelling)? Who knows.

And HeroOfTime64, they're so super that they don't have to edit their second post. They can just say 'disregard that' and the peasant folk do exactly as their told! It's pretty (e)1337.

(See what I did there?)

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Matt didn't say Halo DS exists, he just said it did at one time. He played it, I trust him. He posted pics too.

Top Bottom