• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
That's true. I forgot the codename's typicall aren't what the console will be called ("Dolphin" for example).

I want to see how Nintendo will be able to market basically repurchasing games that are some 10 years old. I can't see how anyone will be able to justify spending a cent on a game they may have already owned, got really cheap right before it was announced that the Rev could play it all, ect.

Vir_Iratus

Smash Ace
Well, Gamecube USED to be codenamed Dolphin... the N64 WAS going to be called the "Ultra 64" but changed... so going along with Nintendo's trend to change their initial console titles, I would assume that the final product will have a different name. While Revolution DOES sound good, I bet they can come up with something better... I don't know if I would have wanted the cube to be called the Dolphin... It just sounds much sissyer than cube... No one wants to admit they were in their room playing with their Dolphin to their parents...

Aside from the naming issue, I thought someone said (relatively) recently that SSBR wasn't going to be a release title. Meaning it might come a few months later than the release of the Revolution. I'm not sure about that information though, cuz I never saw any articles saying it was going to be delayed. And I'm too lazy to go look it up myself... go figure...

Gnight

Smash Journeyman
Kokichi said:
Gnight, do I really need to spell it out for you?

Super Mario 64

64 x 2 = 128

Mario 128

-_-

Super Mario 64 was called such because it was on the Nintendo 64 (64 because it was a 64-bit machine, 2x more bits than the 32 bit SNES and 8x more than the 8 bit NES). Mario 128 was originally a demo for the Gamecube that people thought was going to be the next Mario game, but Nintendo instead ended coming out with Super Mario Sunshine instead. The demo had 128 Marios walking around and bumping into each other. Now they're going to finish the project, apparently.
The SNES was a 16 bit machine, not 32. And they're not going to call it mario 128 because it's a sequel. The long since cancelled sequel of mario 64 on a non-128bit machine wasn't even called "Mario 128". The DS is a 64 bit machine, right?

EDIT: puncuation errror

Vir_Iratus

Smash Ace
Gnight said:
The SNES was a 16 bit machine, not 32. And they're not going to call it mario 128 because it's a sequel. The long since cancelled sequel of mario 64 on a non-128bit machine wasn't even called "Mario 128" The DS is a 64 bit machine, right?
Yes, the SNES was a 16 bit system. Yes the DS is a 64 bit system. The games went kinda crazy with throwing "64" in the names when the first truly 64 bit system came out and was a success (Keyword being a SUCCESS. I think there was an Atari Jaguar that was 64 bit, but wasn't extremely popular, so it doesn't get mentioned all that often) I don't know if they're going to follow the trend with the new system coming out. Rating systems by bit though might become an outdated means of performance grading. I thought Gamecube was a 128 bit system... so why would they make the Revolution a 128 bit system? They'll have to improve upon the old and take it up a notch... Although, I never really saw the gamecube, PS2, or XBox rated on this bit system. I think they're moving away from that, and simply just making bigger, better processors/Graphics cards/mobos/etc. etc. It probably won't be called Mario 128 or 256 or whatever the heck the system is as far as the "bit" rating goes. They'll most likely just give it another name, like they did with Super Mario Sunshine. I'd almost bet 100 bucks that it will have the word Super in its name though... but nobody would bet against that.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Don't forget that Nintendo kept insisting that the DS was just a codename.

And SSBR is still a launch title, nothing's been said regrding it not being one yet.

Vir_Iratus

Smash Ace
I don't recall the DS ever being considered a codename really. And from what I remember, a lot of people thought it was going to be another Gameboy. Turns out they made it an entirely different system. As long as SSBR going to be a launch title, then we still have some idea of when its coming out at least. Either way, I'm not gonna get to play it for a few years :ohwell:

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Vir_Iratus said:
I don't recall the DS ever being considered a codename really.
I'd look for it, but I'm not going to go searching thru the DS topic thats well over a year old for a few quotes....

And from what I remember, a lot of people thought it was going to be another Gameboy. Turns out they made it an entirely different system.
Nintendo said it was going to be a "third pillar" before the DS was even announced.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
DS was definitely the codename. Look for news stories in early 2004 when it was first revealed. I believe it was also called Project Nitro for a short period of time, as well.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Yep, the press leaks right before it was officially announced called it Nitro. Then Nintendo said the codename was the DS, which wasn't the actual name and it stodd for not "Dual-Screen" but "Developer's System" (I that was the 2004 E3, if I remember correctly). Later, they just left it as the DS.

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
Of course the name of Mario 128 will change, we've just known it as that for ages and at the moment that's still the title, so you don't have be such an ***, Gnight. He was just stating that the new Mario on Revolution might end up being Mario 128, not that, in the end, that's what it would be called.

The Nintendo DS is the only Nintendo system to have kept its codename (unless it happened with the NES/SNES, but did they even have codenames back then?). The fact that they took the Revolution logo off the system and are still saying that it isn't the final name for the system I think makes it a pretty good chance that the name will change. Not that it isn't completely possible that they'll keep it, but still.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
N64 - Project Reality
Cube - Dolphin
DS - DS
___ - Revolution
Dunno if GBA had a code name or not.

Also, PS2 is the only current system that is 128bit. The days where bits mattered... gone. Xbox is 32bit and GCN is a 32/64bit hybrid or something.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
McFox said:
yeah, and grs don't reflect any words in english i no
that would be because i started to write a postm changed my mind halfway through, but clicked post by accident before i closed the page.

I R WINNAR
(eenglick? hoo n33d?

Vir_Iratus

Smash Ace
JediMasterYoda98 said:
The Nintendo DS is the only Nintendo system to have kept its codename
McFox said:
Then Nintendo said the codename was the DS, which wasn't the actual name and it stodd for not "Dual-Screen" but "Developer's System"
Just the initials then. I don't consider keeping the same initials the same as keeping the code name. Otherwise, people would be walkin' around using "Nintendo Developer's System"s rather than "Nintendo Dual Screen"s Anywho, the "Revolution" is a cool name, but you can't argue with the fact that Nintendo Reps are saying its not the final name... Of course, some people thought that Dolphin was a good name for the Gamecube, but I for one don't want to admit to my parents that I was just in my room playing with my Dolphin, and or Revolution.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
You honestly call it the Nintendo Dual Screen?

The Nintendo DS is the official name. They just used the phrase "Developer's System" at E3 to show off how many possibilities devlopers would have with all of the features. Maybe technically it is the Nintendo Dual Screen, but it's still just the Nintendo DS. And I never found out if Project Nitro actually had anything to do with the DS, I just know that it was supposed to be the DS.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
If you want to get to extremely technical, McFox is right. The Nintendo DS means "Nintendo DS". The DS could stand for Dual Screen, and it has also been referred to as the "developer's system." But the actual, official name is just "Nintendo DS." In that extremely technical case, the DS doesn't really stand for anything.

Oh, and Vir, I wanna know who actually thought Dolphin was a good name...

Vir_Iratus

Smash Ace
Somebody on these boards thought it was a good name... I don't remember who said it, where they said it, or what they were smoking... but I know I read somewhere on here that they thought it was a good name. You might be able to get it with a search, but I don't know how efficient the search engine really is on SWF. I've never had much luck with it, but I usually don't need to search for anything anyway. And sure, why not... I call it the Dual Screen... mainly from force of habit because when I tell people about it they ask what DS stands for, and I don't like to go into the whole E3 explanation. Its much faster to just say "Dual screen, because it has two screens." Still doesn't change the fact I don't have one :(

DarkLink567

Smash Journeyman
As for the GBA's codename, I believe it was Project Atlantis or something along those lines. And GBA SP was Project Atlantis 2

Revolution is a good a name for the console, although 360 and revolution have the same meaning,, that sucks. I'm sure Nintendo will think of another good name.

What are the bits of the systems based off. Is it the processor? Or something else. I was thinking it's the processor seeing as the Intel processor in the Xbox is 32-bit.

Vir_Iratus

Smash Ace
DarkLink567 said:
As for the GBA's codename, I believe it was Project Atlantis or something along those lines. And GBA SP was Project Atlantis 2

Revolution is a good a name for the console, although 360 and revolution have the same meaning,, that sucks. I'm sure Nintendo will think of another good name.

What are the bits of the systems based off. Is it the processor? Or something else. I was thinking it's the processor seeing as the Intel processor in the Xbox is 32-bit.
No... its not the processor... I don't think we were using 64-bit processors in N64s... considering those are just now getting to be used in PCs. And look at the PS3 processor... its a cell processor, making it unlike most things on the market, and nearly impossible to compare to most of them. 360 and Revolution are NOT the same thing. 360 refers to a complete turn on an axis, whereas Revolution comes from the word revolves, meaning to go around. Meaning the new Nintendo system will run circles around its competition... or in a more computer lamans term, Nintendo will pwnzer teh /\/0/\/-1337 $|_|><-|30>< 3$|_|><+¥ 4/\/|) +#3 |*$|_|©|<3

(translation: Nintendo will pwnzer teh Non-Leet Sux-Box 3suxty and the PSuck3 If you figured that out on your own... Good for you)

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
the question you meant to ask was, will the Rev. have a headset?

the answer is, no one knows.
360 refers to a complete turn on an axis, whereas Revolution comes from the word revolves
Actually vir. to make a complete revolution is to make one turn, or 360 degress, so DarkLink was right.

PWNED

Revolutions

BRoomer
BRoomer
these fields are optional but will enhance your on
No, Vir was right. I wish you people would check dictionary.com before you make unbased assertions and then say stuff like "PWNED," which isn't even a word.

re·volve
v. re·volved, re·volv·ing, re·volves
v. intr.

1. To orbit a central point.
2. To turn on an axis; rotate. See Synonyms at turn.
3. To recur in cycles or at periodic intervals.
4. To be held in the mind and considered in turn.
5. To be centered: Their troubles revolve around money management.

rev·o·lu·tion
n.

1. Orbital motion about a point, especially as distinguished from axial rotation: the planetary revolution about the sun.
2. A turning or rotational motion about an axis.
3. A single complete cycle of such orbital or axial motion.
2. The overthrow of one government and its replacement with another.
3. A sudden or momentous change in a situation: the revolution in computer technology.
4. Geology. A time of major crustal deformation, when folds and faults are formed.

ro·tate
v. ro·tat·ed, ro·tat·ing, ro·tates
v. intr.

1. To turn around on an axis or center. [aka, to turn 360 degrees. -Rev]
2. To proceed in sequence; take turns or alternate: Interns will rotate through the various departments.

The controller is interesting but I'm not sold yet, by the way.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
You're using the incorrect meaning. "Revolution" is not referring to rotation, it's referring to revolutionizing the video game industry. Think the French Revolution. Kind of like def. 3: " A sudden or momentous change in a situation: ex. the revolution in computer technology." Lol.

The Xbox was called the 360 so it could not be numerically compared to the PS3. Example: Hmm, do I want a Playstation 3 or an Xbox 2?

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Revolutions said:
No, Vir was right. I wish you people would check dictionary.com before you make unbased assertions and then say stuff like "PWNED," which isn't even a word.
that's a joke. no one actually says that. its gamer speech.

rev·o·lu·tion
n.

1. Orbital motion about a point, especially as distinguished from axial rotation: the planetary revolution about the sun.
2. The overthrow of one government and its replacement with another.
3. A sudden or momentous change in a situation: the revolution in computer technology.
4. Geology. A time of major crustal deformation, when folds and faults are formed.

rotate

1. To turn around on an axis or center. [aka, to turn 360 degrees. -Rev]
2. To proceed in sequence; take turns or alternate: Interns will rotate through the various departments.
well guess what?

my dictionary doesn't agree with you.

according to the random house Dictionary of the english language, second edition, unabridged.

these are the [applied to this topic] definitions of revolution

1. A procedure or course, as if in a circuit, back to a starting point.
2. a single turn of this kind
3. A) a turning round or rotating, as on an axis
....B) a moving in a cirucular or curving course.
....C) a single cycle in such a course.

according to this, for a circle to make one revolution, or a body traveling in a circle to make one revolution, it would therefore have to return to its starting place, and therefore traveling 360 degrees.

In addition, i'm sure that you are aware of the unit of measurement, r.p.m?

WHich stands for revolutions per minute(also according to my dictionary).

we can infer from this that a revolution is a defined measurement of rotation.
i happen to knwo from both PreCalculus and Physics courses i have taken that one Revolution of a circle is defined as 360 degrees.

The conclusion, based on all this evidence, is that

One Revolution is equal to 360 degrees.

I don't think you can argue against this.

I'm curious, where did you find those definitions?

edit: Dictionary.com? That doesn't sound very reliable. Don't you have an actual dictionary?

Giygas, we know what it is meant to imply, i just like debating.

EDIT#2: I made the 666th reply to this topic. Is something bad going to happen to me?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
While Giygas is exactly right, i just can't help but point this out.

Revolutions said:
rev·o·lu·tion
n.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
That's right mic. "Revolution," unlike the dreaded 'newspeak' words, is capable of having more than one definition.

If you have a body that is in a state of multidimentional revolution, say rotating and revolving (e.g. the EARTH) the rotation refers to the body spinning along an axis, and the revolution is the body making a complete orbital cycle around another body(such as THE SUN). It's basic astronomy.

And I think we can all agree that nintendo's double entendre skills (implying reaching for the stars, pushing the limit, running circles around the competition, etc.) completely out-PWN Microsoft's. Because 360, unless tied with a verb or clause, is merely another number. You have to "do a 360" in order to even IMPLY rotation. Before this topic, I thought that "Xbox 360" probably came from a lamoid assumption that people still cared about numbers to associate with the power (bit-level) of the console.

But Giygas could also be right.

So, let's take the liberty of nomination, as we do so freely with our desired Smash Revolution characters.

I nominate the names: Fuzzy McTicklebox, The Tronzord, and Nintendo Dimension

[P.S. is it so bad to begin a sentence with "Because"? Because I've been doing it a lot.]

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Giygas IS right. Nintendo have all been talking about revolutionising the industry and such. Nintendo is NOT saying it's going to run rings around people, or anything of the sort.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
You're using the incorrect meaning. "Revolution" is not referring to rotation, it's referring to revolutionizing the video game industry. Think the French Revolution. Kind of like def. 3: " A sudden or momentous change in a situation: ex. the revolution in computer technology." Lol.

The Xbox was called the 360 so it could not be numerically compared to the PS3. Example: Hmm, do I want a Playstation 3 or an Xbox 2?

THAT IS IT, FOLKS.

DarkLink567

Smash Journeyman
What I was implying was that the meaning of 360 in Xbox 360 is implying the word revolution. I was talking about why Xbox 360 was named the way it is, not the Nintendo Revolution. That seemed to have caused abit of confusion. Thanks for clearing it up ChRed2AKrisp.

The name Xbox 2 wouldn't do so well compared to PS3 so they decided to use the number 360. By naming it 360, they were indirectly, but not coincedently, refering to the word revolution. This would also prevent gamers from comparing the systems by numbers, as someone had said before.

So what exactly does the bits of the system mean, no seems to have clarified that as of yet.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
yeah, we already finished Osco. That's why DarkLink is repeating his question(which i don't know the answer to). Do you?

Invincible Fox

Smash Journeyman
All right get this, the Nintendo Revolution games at launch are expected to be Sixty dollars! and I thought that Nintendo was the sensible company! Not even over-priced Xbox 360 is selling games that high!

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
www.ign.com said:
This week's question: Fantastic Revolution controller, but we're never content. When will you announce the real name of Revolution so that we can launch our channel? Could it be this October when Iwata talks Wi-Fi?

Nintendo of America's executive vice president of sales and marketing, Reginald Fils-Aime: Thanks for your feedback on the controller, Matt. The response has been incredible. People embrace innovation! We're taking a bold direction with Revolution and making sure people understand what this revolutionary controller can and will do has been paramount. We're the only company showing true innovation. The competition even complimented us!

Since our product is so innovative, for us it's too early to reveal all Revolution details. I certainly understand you're anxious to see more. Giving the controller the singular attention it deserved was the right way to go at TGS. In our view, you first need to understand the experience the controller promises to provide... then the games will breathe life into the promise. It's about the experience, not just the games. And the controller will give players a whole new experience!

We will continue to pull the curtain back over the next few months and we expect you'll be there. Until then, you should go ahead and unveil a Revolution (still the code-name) IGN channel. As a huge fan of the online community, I can't wait for you to have a dedicated channel. I promise we'll populate it with information the entire gaming community will love!
Nintendo Minute #18. The underlined part is nice to know. I bolded Fils-Aime's last remark. Hmmm, what could that mean...?

EvilEvincar

Smash Journeyman
All right get this, the Nintendo Revolution games at launch are expected to be Sixty dollars! and I thought that Nintendo was the sensible company! Not even over-priced Xbox 360 is selling games that high!
Actually, games on all platforms were expected to cost $60. It was only when a comment made by Microsoft after E3 did this change for the X-Box 360 (and it only applies to first and second party games). PS3 games are still expected to cost $60, as well as Revolution. The only comment I heard from Nintendo on this was something along the line of "smaller games will be cheaper, larger games moer expensive".

If anything, my bet will be that the Revolution itself will cost $200-250, more likely the former.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
Invincible Fox said:
Actually, titles for the Xbox 360 are expected to soar between sixty and seventy dollars for the big-name ones. On game pricing for the Revolution, Nintendo has said this:

"Spiegel Online: Do you say to people also "Gaming can be cheaper [on Revolution] than it is on our competitors' consoles"?

Iwata: I think, we should prepare a dynamic price margin, from which the consumers can select. Depending on the size and the volume of the project, we want perhaps different price structure. For masterpieces like The Legend of Zelda we will require perhaps as much as our competitors, but depending upon the software we will use different prices."

Top Bottom