• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
thesuperjag, I think you shouldn't have anything to worry about. If you used one hand to play a GCN game before (albeit you probably had to take things slow and easy, and say if you didn't have a left hand, then you could never play SSBM competitively or walk and kick at the same time effectively), you should be happy with this set. Not only will a lot of games ONLY use the one-handed method, but you can put the two pieces closer together than before.

Unfortunately, I don't think Nintendo, Sony, or M$ really look at the market of people with no left hands and think "How can we get them to play our games?" Though Nintendo certainly is doing more than any other company to help you.

thesuperjag

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheSuperJAG
BETA said:
What is a person who can only use one hand doing on a competitive SSBM board? I'm curious.
What am I doing here? I love SSBM. I can hold my own battles against my friends in Melee. My friends are very good in my opinion. I maybe at a disadvantages in some ways....But it doesn't stop me from finding ways to win. Yes I can L Cancel, Wavedashing (sometimes) Short hop....etc.

Invincible Fox

Smash Journeyman
I personally dislike playing with two hands because then you're not ready for the Bob-omb that Bowser is about to throw at you. Then you die. Then you lose the match. With two hands you are always ready for anything.

What I meant to say in the first part was I personally dislike playing with one hand. It was just a dumb error on my part but thanks for helping me correct it.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
you mean you dislike playing without two hands.

about the lack of buttons for SSBR.

not a problem.

movement/gyroscopic sensors replace the analog stick.

analog stick=c-stick

A=A

B=B

Z1=L/R

Z2=Z

D-Pad up=Y/X

D-pad down=taunt

we just encompased every single button needed to play SSBM.

But guess what?

SSBR=/= SSBM

it probably won't be played the same. it might be a totally different game, albeit you still have the same basic layout(2-D fighter with platforms, recovery, stock, etc.)

but the way you interface with the game may be totally and radically different.

I guess what i'm trying to say is, it doesn't matter if you can play SSBM with it, since you're not playing SSBM, you're playing SSBR.

Invincible Fox

Smash Journeyman
In my opinion with the new controller Nintendo is making their dream of a revolution a reality. Why? Because we have never seen anything like it before.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
ChRed, you can't get the amount of precision you can using your wrist instead of an analog stick for SSBM. Having to reach up farther to press D-Pad Up also is a turn off. And what happens if you sneeze? Or something else hits your hand? Your guy will go running off into some random place, then you're going to have to try to center the controller just to get back to a normal fighting position.

But you're right, this is SSB3 we're talking about, not SSBM. Let's just hope they don't **** up SSB3 because they want to use this device. God I hope not. If it ain't broken don't fix it, Nintendo...

RageNevermore

Smash Cadet
People, you don't need to worry about SSBR. Here's why:

1. First, there are the attachments to the controller. The only one seen is the joystick/ trigger button attachment. Who knows what attachments could be added for playing specific games. That could get a wee bit expensive though.

2. Go to eurogamer.com to see what is in store for the controller. Another 'attachment' is the conventional controller where you put the new controller into a more conventional one, allowing you to have the more used-to layout, while keeping a few of the new features (gyroscope for example).

3. Imagine this, you pick up a laser gun. Now you can use the joystick to move, use the motion sensor to aim more precisely, then fire. Sounds nice, but here's another. Be Mario, use that A button to jump, use the analog stick to move, the triggers for your attacks. If you want to shoot a fireball, you can just aim by pointing in a general direction and fire. Since Mario's fireballs use gravity, it would have to be presise. Dodging, even cooler. Just press the shield button (I'll say Z2) and then jerk the controller in the direction you want to dodge. You could even set a dodge path so to say, so you can dodge to the right a bit, then dodge down in the middle of it. Of course it seems complicated at first, but Nintendo has a rep. of making everything work in the end.

Add that with the online play, and it all ads up to excitement for me :) .

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Hmm...one thing it mentioned at Eurogamer, about it working will all kinds of TV's. LCD's, Digitals, and projectors? How are they going to manage that?

RageNevermore

Smash Cadet
mic_128 said:
Hmm...one thing it mentioned at Eurogamer, about it working will all kinds of TV's. LCD's, Digitals, and projectors? How are they going to manage that?
Well, Iwata said something about even a different kind of console/television connection. Maybe the controller actually sends the signals to the console, which has the image of the projected image stored in. There could be a small camera in the controller used to match the image in the console. Then, the controller sends the data of where the player is pointing the conroller to the console. It then sends the signal through the video controller into the projector.

Don't believe that though, pure specutlation. Gives you the idea of what could be done though, if it made any sense...

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
he's talking about how the controller will interface with the TV.

but this is not a problem, because the controller doesn't actually interact with the TV.

It interfaces with two motion sensors you place on either side of the TV/Projector.

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
It's funny how people keep posting the same details and news over and over again...for the love of God, READ THE OLD PAGES BEFORE YOU POST!

EDIT: V Sorry ChRed...I wasn't referring to you, I was talking about the last three pages or so in this topic...

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
not my fault, i'm just explaining to mic_128.

tell him to read. i'd rather post info twice then have soemone asking the questions over and over.

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
There's an entire topic in melee discussion about characters and what not. Go there for SSB3 potential character lists.

RaptorHawk

Smash Ace
This new controller if ****ing awesome. Its already hands down the best controller of the new systems. This controller opens up so many possibilities its freaking nuts. And because of the controller craddle/shell the Revolution can do everything PS3 and 360 can do with no problem at all. Heres a mock up(you get the idea from it though). http://media.cube.ign.com/articles/651/651559/img_3077147.html

nin10do

Smash Journeyman
New Controller = Moving around to play games
Moving around to play games = exercise

Therefore, new controller = exercise.

Who said video games were bad for you?

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
nin10do said:
New Controller = Moving around to play games
Moving around to play games = exercise

Therefore, new controller = exercise.

Who said video games were bad for you?
It'll be about as much exercise as masturbating.

and nice, Yav.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Does Invincible Fox only look at the pictures on a site? *Sigh*

It's a mock up, bro...

RaptorHawk

Smash Ace
Kokichi said:
Does Invincible Fox only look at the pictures on a site? *Sigh*

It's a mock up, bro...
Whether he knows its a mock up or not the point is Nintendo has a way to make sure not to alienate current gamers.

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, to put my three and a half cents in (because gasoline isn't the only thing measured in fractions of cents):

The Revolution looks more enticing than ever before. I am truly impressed with the IDEAS. The question is whether or not Nintendo will capitalize on them CORRECTLY.

I sat and thought for a half hour and came up with MAD ideas. Whether or not ideas like those will be used (they are certainly possible) is yet to be determined.

Suffice to say that my interest is piqued. Nintendo made due on their promise: something very different. "It's all about the games," and, for once, the hardward is coming along beautifually, too.

Let's see what lies in store for the future. Biut, first, gimme Twilight Princess, already.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Cashed said:
It'll be about as much exercise as masturbating.

and nice, Yav.
i read or heard somewhere(maybe health)

that getting off is actually a good cardiovascualr exercise.

oh well, at least it means less tension in my fingers.

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
You're all acting like moving your wrist and maybe your arm a bit is like, tiring or something. I mean wtf, you might as well consider using a mouse excercise because you have to move it. I mean honestly...

Chris of STARS

Smash Journeyman
Okay guys, I just found some VERY good news. READ THIS!!!

I found this article at Eurogamer. Nintendo straight out confirms in an interview that there will be a conventional control pad style available for the Revolution. An excerpt from the interview:

Eurogamer: How is the controller going to work with games that aren't designed specifically for the Revolution - multi-platform titles and so on?

Jim Merrick: We're producing a classic-style expansion controller, based on traditional designs like the Gamecube controller. It's like a shell with a hole in the top into which you slot the freehand-style controller, and then you can play third-party ported games, and retro Nintendo games you've downloaded.

So there's that option - but even while it's inserted into the classic-style shell, the freehand controller will still be able to sense positioning and so on, so there are more options too.

It's something that's just as true for the DS - not every game uses the DS's unique features. But some multi-platform titles do, like The Sims 2 for example. We hope other developers will do the same and look at ways their multi-platform titles can make use of the Revolution's features.

Eurogamer: Some critics have voiced concerns about compatibility issues with all the different television standards around these days... Will the Revolution controller work with all types of tellies?

Jim Merrick: I guarantee it. It works with LCDs, plasma screens, projectors... Everything. It's not like the old lightgun technology, where you had the classic problem of requiring a CRT screen. But this isn't working on a scan line basis, so there are no issues there.

Eurogamer: Is the freehand-style controller your trump card, or have we got more exciting stuff to look forward to?

Jim Merrick: Let's just say we have more surprises in store.

And here's the mockup that IGN came up with in regards to this new info that Raptor touched on above:

And a couple fan made mock-ups of what a light-gun or steering wheel periferal attachment could look like:

Now this doesn't confirm in any way that the new Smash Bros. will utilize the normal gamepad style controller shell that Nintendo is coming up with, but it definitely offers hope. But even if it doesn't, inserting the remote into that shell will allow alot easier control for Smash, even if its functions aren't fully utilized.

*crosses fingers*

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Did you even LOOK at the last page? People were talking about the mock up, It's not news dude, it's oooold already.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
You're all acting like moving your wrist and maybe your arm a bit is like, tiring or something. I mean wtf, you might as well consider using a mouse excercise because you have to move it. I mean honestly...
well it depends on the activity.

have you seen the Revo Trailer? SOem of them are moving there arms everywhere, like the guy playing baseball, or sword fighting.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
JediMasterYoda98 said:
It tends to increase respiration, my friend.

I like the controller.

IceDrake

Smash Apprentice
I really hate the design, but I'm still getting a Revolution launch day. I think I'll feel better when I have it in my hand. I like it much better than PS3's boomerang controller. It seems This gen's controllers are being designed as weapons.

thesuperjag

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheSuperJAG
Yeah....I really dislike the Revolution controller....but yeah I will be getting a Revolution....Yeah PS3 controller looks like a boomerang.

Zeke

Smash Apprentice
ChRed2AKrisp said:
well it depends on the activity.

have you seen the Revo Trailer? SOem of them are moving there arms everywhere, like the guy playing baseball, or sword fighting.
Read the impressions, people. You barely have to move your wrists...that video is just an exciting exaggeration of the connection people will have to the games that is possible only with the Revolution.

GreekWonder

Smash Cadet
I love the revolution controller expecially the idea of the motion sensor ive always wanted a real lightsaber sim, u would be able to use it just like a real sword was in your hand, and also for fps u can aim it at the screen to aim it were u want thats kick *** if you ask me. But how are we supposed to play ssbm???

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Zeke said:
Read the impressions, people. You barely have to move your wrists...that video is just an exciting exaggeration of the connection people will have to the games that is possible only with the Revolution.
yeah, that's for the demos shown. how could you simulate a sword or bat like that if you barely moved your wrists? It would be no fun. I'd enjoy swinging the controller in a lightsaber duel.

Mario&Luigi

Smash Cadet
This control kicks @$$!! Look at the analog attachment and the GC control shell:

cashed edit: WE DONT NEED THE SAME PICTURES, ESPECIALLY MOCK UPS THAT ARENT REAL EVERY FIVE POSTS

Chris of STARS

Smash Journeyman
mic_128 said:
Did you even LOOK at the last page? People were talking about the mock up, It's not news dude, it's oooold already.
Yes I did, and there was no mock-up talk of any sort on the first page when I posted my post. You seemed to miss the point that the whole point of my post was Jim Merrick confirming that there would be a convential style controller for the remote to plug-in, which NOBODY here had mentioned yet. So don't take that elitest BS attitude with me, I'm just doing my part in making this thread constructive, which last time I checked posting confirmed information straight from Nintendo that hadn't been yet talked about is much more useful to people than posting useless borderline spam crap like "oooold."

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
[Sorry, to defy what you just posted, Cashed, but I thought it might lose the effect if the pic weren't there.]

STATEMENT= NINTENDO'S AUTO-SODOMY. (they're f***ing themselves)

seriously.

Of course leave it to nintendo to try to piss everyone off and require that the consumers unload their whole weeks earnings for countless expansions that SHOULD be built-in for the gaming experience. This seems like another over-hyped rip-off, just like Wind Waker.

If nintendo's into commercial suicide, that's fine with me, but at least they're releasing a slew of their classics because they can finally admit that games...just aren't made as they once were. It would be SWEET if they brought out all the great 3rd party titles as well, you know, strike a deal with all the defunct programmers, and even the living ones like square, to revive their classic titles like Secret of Mana, and Crono Trigger.

I'm delusional, but wouldn't it be great if they released a lot of previously untranslated games such as Seiken Denstsu 3, or the older fire emblems.

Anyway, putting away delusions and coming back to reality, How am I supposed to reach those (a) and (b) buttons way down at the bottom?
(p.s. i just got Deja Vu)

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
Resting Fox, you apparently didn't read anything at all. You're just being a whiny pisshead. First off, you're not supposed to use the A and B buttons at th ebottom - that's so you can flip the controller sideways and play NES games using the D-Pad and those two buttons. They'll be used extremely infrequently during Revolution games.

Second, I bet these expansions won't be that expensive. And when you look at the expected price range of the PS3 ($500 - $1000) I really don't see how you could say Nintendo is ****** your wallet by taking $5 here and $10 there. Also, I suspect the Revolution will come bundled with both the "Nunchuku" attachment and the "Classic Controller Shell" when you first buy it. I'm sure they'll also release many different controller bundles - normal controllers, ones bundled with the Nunchukus, one bundled with the controller shell, one bundled with both, etc. Also, games that require things like a steering wheel or the lightgun thing, should release in two versions ala Donkey Konga. One will be normal price, and the other will be $5 - $10 more expensive. Hell, maybe they won't release two versions and just bundle it with it no matter what and release it for a normal price. And of course you'll be able to buy the attachment seperatly for a cheap price.
It honestly can't cost that much to develop these attachments.

Also, saying Wind-Waker was a ripoff is just stupid. It's still better than plenty of games out there, it just wasn't up to OoT standard. It's still fun.

Personally I think half of you just feel like *****ing at nintendo for no reason. Sure, it's different, but remember when everyone said the DS was stupid and gimmicky? Oh, yeah, that was before it outsold the PSP like crazy. I'm sure it'll be the same way this time around. At any rate, it'll sell like hotcakes in Japan, since they're all into this kind of stuff. And if Nintendo makes a good FPS with online multiplayer using the new controller, and advertise it well enough, I'm sure they'd be able to pull in the American market. Plus SSBR and titles like Zelda and Final Fantasy. I think after Nintendo releases all the details and gets everything sorted out, it'll be hard not to admit the Revolution will be fun.

Zeke

Smash Apprentice
ChRed2AKrisp said:
yeah, that's for the demos shown. how could you simulate a sword or bat like that if you barely moved your wrists? It would be no fun. I'd enjoy swinging the controller in a lightsaber duel.
I suppose you COULD do great big swings, but this all depends on several things, namely:

A big swing being required for that certain move to be performed (as opposed to a small swing, or twitch of the wrists, which would result in a small swing. Like tilting vs. smashing). Or how the game is programmed for such swings, or hopefully being able to calibrate and modify many things about the controller in either an in-game pause menu or on the consoles Home screen itself.

Top Bottom