• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
what i think is intereesting is the two little buttons at the bottom.

the main buttons, by the D-Pad and the trigger are A an B(capitalized)

and by the bottom are a and b(lowercase).

but they are so far out of the way, there's no way you could use those in revo games.

so are they indicating turning the controller sideways for old games, with an a and b button on the right and the d-pad on the left?

plus there is a new button, home.

will this shut off the game but take you to Revo startup screen where you can switch games, play older n64 games etc.?

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
ChRed2AKrisp said:
so are they indicating turning the controller sideways for old games, with an a and b button on the right and the d-pad on the left?
Wow, you're the first person I have talked to that has figured that out on their own...yes, some articles are saying that it can be used sideways as a NES controller...and in the promo video, it doesn't actually look that hard to reach those buttons in normal gameplay...the controller is smaller than it looks...

Qwester

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm disappointed. Certainly by how it looks. However, I guess I'll just have to wait till I can actually get my hands on something to test it out. Until then, I don't have very high hopes. Shame really.

Vir_Iratus

Smash Ace
mic_128 said:
Hah! Just realised, that say, with racing games, notice how you'll sometimes lean over despite it having no effect? Looks like it will now!
I love watching spazzy gamers. Its SO HILARIOUS. My little brother when he gets really sucked into a game starts sticking his tongue out. I've watched some kids playing a GBA start leaning and lifting a leg when they get into their games. Its freakin' funny to watch.

Aside from the hilarious effects it will have on spazzy gamers, anyone else notice how when turned sideways, the controller layout emulates the original NES and SNES controller scheme? With the B and A buttons next to each other from left to right respectively. The D pad is where it belongs... The seperate Select and Start buttons were brought back... The only real difference between it and the old controller is the size. Its built more to fit older gamers who WOULD go out and seek/download those original titles that were boasted to be available to the Revolution.

EDIT: I didn't bother to read all the replies so far, so I didn't notice that someone else mentioned the controller looking like the original until I saw it on the last page after posting this. I meant to say something last night (which is when I thought of it, right after seeing it) but was too tired and decided to hit the hay.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
ChRed2AKrisp said:
but they are so far out of the way, there's no way you could use those in revo games.

plus there is a new button, home.

will this shut off the game but take you to Revo startup screen where you can switch games, play older n64 games etc.?
I'm thinking the same thing about the a and b buttons. When I first saw the controller I really wondered why Nintendo put them so low... but if they're used for NES gaming and such, then I see why. Though... They're still really out of place if a developer ever wanted/needed to use more buttons.

The home button, I'm going to guess it'll be like the 360's logo button. Probably bring you to the main part of the Dashboard (what you'd see if you didn't have a game in the system upon boot up) and if Nintendo wanted to prevent people shutting the system off during a game, they'd make it so you have to go to this and then turn the system off from there. I was really worried about the power on/off function on the 360 controller until I kept reading about it and you actually can't turn it off with the controller, you have to go to said Dashboard and hit A on "Power Off."

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Cashed said:
I'm thinking the same thing about the a and b buttons. When I first saw the controller I really wondered why Nintendo put them so low... but if they're used for NES gaming and such, then I see why. Though... They're still really out of place if a developer ever wanted/needed to use more buttons.

The home button, I'm going to guess it'll be like the 360's logo button. Probably bring you to the main part of the Dashboard (what you'd see if you didn't have a game in the system upon boot up) and if Nintendo wanted to prevent people shutting the system off during a game, they'd make it so you have to go to this and then turn the system off from there. I was really worried about the power on/off function on the 360 controller until I kept reading about it and you actually can't turn it off with the controller, you have to go to said Dashboard and hit A on "Power Off."
Yes, but what about SNES and N64 games??

Vir_Iratus

Smash Ace
the grim lizard said:
Yes, but what about SNES and N64 games??
Considering the Revolution will be compatible with the GC controller, I think its safe to assume that they would make it so the SNES and N64 games could be played using the GC controller. We already know that everything the SNES and N64 controllers can do, the GC controller can do. So why not use those? If you aren't comfortable with the feel of the Rev controller when it comes to the older games, then you could probably use the GC controller instead. The GC controller has already proven to function fine when playing GB, GBA, NES and, N64 games, so it shouldn't be a problem to add SNES to the list game types the GC controller will function for.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Now that I had a chance to sleep on it, I still think it would make a kick *** peripheral, but the idea of it being the standard controller is still pretty far out there...it'll take a while for my head to wrap around it. I guess I just gotta feel it first.

Though I am pretty sick of people saying "Imagine sword fights! You can control Link's sword!" or "It'll be great for RTS games!" First of all, they have things like this in arcade machines where you swing a little thing about and it correlates on-screen with a sword. What ends up happening is that wild swinging often works better than trying to be precise and aim your attacks.

Think about it. If you kept waving the controller around, after you clashed swords with someone, the game would have to constantly measure where the controller is...if you're waving it around wildly, how would they get the character in game to do that realistically?

Also, I'm sorry to burst *everyone's* bubble, but Link is LEFT-HANDED. That means that if you really wanted to control his sword, you'd have to use the controller in the left hand. Which means you'd need to make Link run around with your right thumb and attack with your left thumb; in other words, completely flipping a controller's basic design that we're all familiar with. It'd be like trying to write with your bad hand. Ever since the days of the first controller you've moved the character with your left thumb and done stuff like attack or pick up items with your right. It might be possible for another hero, but unfortunately for Link, unless they wanted to change his character and suddenly make him right-handed, don't get your hopes up for a control-Link's-sword game. And even if one was made, you'd still have to do all attacks backwards with your right hand (if you held the controller in your right hand) to make it match up with his left hand...something very confusing to do.

Vir_Iratus

Smash Ace
I never thought of it as a device for sword fighting for pretty much all the reasons you said. Plus, they already made a Starcraft for N64, and from what I remember, it didn't do too well. I do like the movement idea they put into the controller. I could totally imagine sniping in some FPS and moving my hand slowly towards the TV until I know I got 'em right where I want 'em, and then click, boom, pull back and begin preparing for the onslaught of mindless enemies that get alerted by the death of their officer or something. Would make a game like Splinter Cell extremely fun and more challenging. Not that it isn't loads of fun now with a normal controller, but you get the idea.

EDIT: And each Link really ISN'T a new Link. They're technically different people, true. but whats stopping them from switching to right handed versions is the fact that there was a big hoopla when OOT came out about whether or not he would be left or right handed, since in all previous games, he switched all the time from left to right depending on which way you were facing.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Making Link right-handed would be like removing Link's standard long green cap and replacing it with Luigi's; Link being left-handed is part of his character, who he is.

Also, I hope there's some way to turn off the controller so you can safely move around and not cause your guy on-screen to lose his place. Think about all the times you've moved a controller while playing a game, be it to get in a different position because friends came over, your mom walked infront of you and you had to move to see the TV, etc. Now think what would happen if by moving you moved your character on-screen. It'd make interruptions that aren't paused much more irritable (especially for multiplayer gaming).

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Kokichi said:
Now that I had a chance to sleep on it, I still think it would make a kick *** peripheral, but the idea of it being the standard controller is still pretty far out there...it'll take a while for my head to wrap around it. I guess I just gotta feel it first.

Though I am pretty sick of people saying "Imagine sword fights! You can control Link's sword!" or "It'll be great for RTS games!" First of all, they have things like this in arcade machines where you swing a little thing about and it correlates on-screen with a sword. What ends up happening is that wild swinging often works better than trying to be precise and aim your attacks.

Think about it. If you kept waving the controller around, after you clashed swords with someone, the game would have to constantly measure where the controller is...if you're waving it around wildly, how would they get the character in game to do that realistically?

Also, I'm sorry to burst *everyone's* bubble, but Link is LEFT-HANDED. That means that if you really wanted to control his sword, you'd have to use the controller in the left hand. Which means you'd need to make Link run around with your right thumb and attack with your left thumb; in other words, completely flipping a controller's basic design that we're all familiar with. It'd be like trying to write with your bad hand. Ever since the days of the first controller you've moved the character with your left thumb and done stuff like attack or pick up items with your right. It might be possible for another hero, but unfortunately for Link, unless they wanted to change his character and suddenly make him right-handed, don't get your hopes up for a control-Link's-sword game. And even if one was made, you'd still have to do all attacks backwards with your right hand (if you held the controller in your right hand) to make it match up with his left hand...something very confusing to do.
I'll learn to be ambidextrous if it means Link stays left-handed...

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
True, it is, and if they did it I think it'd be fun, it'd just be a bit bothersome to people who like a game to stay true to it's origin, you know? It's like when people think that Link is an adult, when in actuality he's a kid...ever since OoT people think "Oh, that's Young Link". No, that's Link - THIS is Adult Link.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Kokichi said:
True, it is, and if they did it I think it'd be fun, it'd just be a bit bothersome to people who like a game to stay true to it's origin, you know? It's like when people think that Link is an adult, when in actuality he's a kid...ever since OoT people think "Oh, that's Young Link". No, that's Link - THIS is Adult Link.
Yeah, true. I'm still trying to let it all settle in my mind. I'm just glad you can play games from all Nintendo generations...

Well, actually Zelda 2 was Adult Link...

EDIT: I just thought...I wonder what third-party controllers will be like... :confused:

Vir_Iratus

Smash Ace
I can see it now. A new Zelda game for the Revolution in a Final Fantasy/Secret of Mana RPG Fashion, complete with multiple player capabilities, and custom fight scenes, guided by how YOU move the controller. You swing in a certain motion, and your character mimics it and strikes a monster. Beware though, the monsters aren't stupid, and they attempt to deflect your attacks and strike you down. However, hand speed makes a difference. Quick but fluid motions will save your life, but erratic and jumpy fast swinging will only leave you, well, dead.

EDIT: And who cares what third party controllers will look like. They always are shotty quality and never feel as good as Nintendo brand Goods. NEVER EVER EVER use a madcatz product. They SUCK.

Vir_Iratus

Smash Ace
With the new controller and all its possibilities, it may not be too far in the future that we get a LoZ game with an attatchment for the contoller that acts as a VR headband. Ok, so probably not likely. That would be one expensive attatchment if they wanted it to live up to players standards. Unless it was some sort of mechanism that plugged directly into the Revolution. Otherwise, it would be kind of tricky having a seperate device render graphics or display them without a ground source for information. Meaning it would have to have a cord, but w/e. If they ever make something like that, A cord wouldn't stop me from playing it.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Has anyone else watched the Revolution trailer on ign?

i shows a bunch of people playing from the perspective of the TV.

They do:

SWORD SWINGING! so yes, that's a definate possibilty.

FPS.

Mario jumping sounds(platformer)

mario partysounds

fishing

fly swatting

doom like setting(light around motion control, like flash light)

baseball bat swinging.

this has so many endless applications its unbelievable.

go download the trailer its fun to watch these asian people doing all these weird things, like this old man falling backwards when reeling in a fish, or this guy holding both parts like its a shot gun and jumping over furniture.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
sorry for the double post, but i wanted this to stick out.

in the trailer you can see that the names of the lowercase a and b buttons are different.

they are X and Y!

which is more recent? the prototype shown has a and b buttons instead of x and y.

Invincible Fox

Smash Journeyman
Well this is a bit off topic but, everyone living above ground knows that Melee Revolution is coming out. What do you guys want the characters in the game to be?

Shy Guy

BRoomer
BRoomer
I could have been the first one to post this information but I was too occupied reading it. Anyways, there are also a Z1 and Z2 button, putting all my stresses to rest. This system can play a SSB game without any gimmicks!

Check the video on IGN if you haven't seen it, everyone.

BETA

Smash Ace
For those who are wondering how to play SNES/N64 games, I've heard they're releasing a traditional controller as an attachment. The GCN controllers can't work, since they said that there's a switch that allows you to activate the GCN side of the system. It's like trying to hook up a GBA to a GB player and expect it to work like a transfer cable.

<EDIT> For the guy asking about the Home button, it probably takes the system back to the main screen... you know, the screen you get to by holding in the A button while a Gamecube is loading up. It doesn't turn it off, since the remote portion already has an on/off button on the upper left corner.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Invincible Fox said:
Well this is a bit off topic but, everyone living above ground knows that Melee Revolution is coming out. What do you guys want the characters in the game to be?
Check out the MDR for a thread about it.

As for the "realism" part of this contraption, there's something people have to remember; real isn't fun, but realism is. I think it was Madden 05 that had a "Quarterback perspective" that gave you this little tunnel vision as you tried to do your QB job. Well, the thing is that it takes YEARS of practice to become a good QB. It's a very, very difficult position to fill; you can't just pick up a controller and be expected to have the exact skill set as him.

Same thing goes for sword-swinging games. Developers need to remember that people who play videogames aren't professional swordsmen, nor should they be expected to learn how to swing a sword properly. However, if they try to make a game too realistic, it won't be fun, because the precision and timing required will surpass people's ability. There needs to be a certain bar that it can't pass. It'll be difficult to develop for, but we'll see how companies do.

BETA

Smash Ace
Mario&Luigi said:
I think this control is perfect, if you want more buttons the control may have attachments for certain games to give it more buttons.
Also lighter on your wallet. Remember when your GCN/N64 joystick wore out, so you'd go out and buy a new controller? With this, you'll just need to buy half of a new controller, really useful for hardcore smash players. I, for one, always do better with a fresh joystick.

ac_anon

Smash Ace
one thing i thought . What if you were playing like an fps game or something and you accidently pulled the analogue stick out of the controller? Its not a huge wire.

thesuperjag

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheSuperJAG
Uh hi.....Anyway this Revolution controller kind of put me down because its a 2 piece controller....and the fact is I can't use my left hand and it will make it harder for me to play that controller with my right hand.

falcoX

Smash Champion
The Hall of Eternia, Exactly 10 miles west of the
ign said that nintendo dropped the revolution name for its console, so maybe nintendo will tell us the name of its system soon. Anyway, about the controller.... YIKES! that thing really scared me off. Nintendo is definetly trying something new, and as i said in another thread, thats not always good. The "Remote" concept has certantly scared me off. I just dont know what to think. I really wish nintendo had made a normal controller, because i am put off by this one. Playing games in general seems like a hassle now, so i may not buy the new nintendo console. The backlog of classic games is intriguing, but it is not free. I might just stick with cube for awhile

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
In regards to the home button, when I first saw it I assumed it was for recalibrating the controller. So if you get offcenter, you point to the center of the screen and set that as the "home" point.

Oh, and the new controller is sex.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
ChRed2AKrisp said:
sorry for the double post, but i wanted this to stick out.

in the trailer you can see that the names of the lowercase a and b buttons are different.

they are X and Y!

which is more recent? the prototype shown has a and b buttons instead of x and y.
Yeah, I just downloaded the video and noticed this.

Even if I'm not too fond of the controller right now, it will be good for the Metroid Prime series... well... the one Prime game that'll be on Rev since Nintendo is ending it at Metroid Prime 3.

thesuperjag

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheSuperJAG
Yeah the controller would be good for Metroid Prime.... I thought it looks cool...at the same time....I was put down because of the 2 piece...I wish Nintendo made a regular controller.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
thesuperjag said:
Uh hi.....Anyway this Revolution controller kind of put me down because its a 2 piece controller....and the fact is I can't use my left hand and it will make it harder for me to play that controller with my right hand.
You do know you already need two hands to play with a standard controller? And that this controller has the ability to be used with one hand?

Invincible Fox

Smash Journeyman
What I'm worried about is that the Revolution will be too different and third party developers will have a harder time making games with that Nintendo would consider revolutionary

thesuperjag

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheSuperJAG
Kirby King said:
You do know you already need two hands to play with a standard controller? And that this controller has the ability to be used with one hand?
Actually.....You don't need two hands to play a standard controller. I played GC controller with 1 hand....and other past console. Yeah I was born this way This Revolution controller does indeed 100% need to use both hands. Something I can't do.

BETA

Smash Ace
thesuperjag said:
Actually.....You don't need two hands to play a standard controller. I played GC controller with 1 hand....and other past console. Yeah I was born this way This Revolution controller does indeed 100% need to use both hands. Something I can't do.
What is a person who can only use one hand doing on a competitive SSBM board? I'm curious.

Magnusblitz

Smash Apprentice
It's nice to see Nintendo doing something new, but I have many reservations about this new controller setup.

First off: The light-gun style sensors. Very, very nice idea for FPSs and strategy games...mouse-like control, and with the add-on joystick, you still have the buttons and the joystick you need. But I'm thinking things like sports games, fighting games, etc., are going to be impossible to play - the sensors would inhibit gameplay, and without it you lack enough buttons/movement options.

Example: SSBM. You have the A, B, and Y/X buttons. You have a trigger (L/R) and a Z button. So, let's say, five buttons used in SSBM, and seven buttons useable overall. You also have a D-Pad, and two analog sticks. So far it looks like the Revolution only has four buttons (A, B, Z1, Z2) a D-pad, one analog stick and the light-sensor movement. So it's lacking a button or two, not to mention that wonderful C-stick. And other games that actually use all seven buttons (Tales of Symphonia, for example) will absolutely suffer from the lack of buttons.

I'm also not that thrilled about the light-sensor thing. It's nice for the occasional shoot-'em-up, Time Crisis game, but that's TIRING, constantly holding your arm up at the screen. Face it - I'm not going to be able to play hours and hours of SSB3 on this.

In the end, it looks like it'll be good for FPSs, strategy games, and DS-style games. But that's the problem - if I want to play an FPS or strategy game, I'll play on my computer. If I want to play a DS game, I'll play it on the Nintendo DS. I use my console primary for sports, racing and fighting games, and I'm very worried they won't translate well. Hopefully we'll be able to use our GC controllers for Revolution games.

Top Bottom