• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Just checked out this weeks wii-k in review at IGN.

They were all mainly just screwing around, but I heard two note-worthy things:

-3.3 million VC games have been sold for 23 million dollars.

-We will be getting more news on the ADVENTURE aspect of Corruption. Just thought that was interesting.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Well,, all i'm hoping is that Wii Wi-fi can go toe-to-toe with XBOX Live, because everyone says its the "best online system evar".
Well, Microsoft did invest billions of dollars in setting up the Live service, and it shows. I can't ever see Nintendo's service going toe-to-toe with Live, but from the sound of this, it looks like Nintendo might be able to get some promising online gaming heading our way.

Will Nintendo's service ever provide downloadable content, game trailers, movie trailers, movies, tv shows, public and private voice chat, video chat, background downloading, game demos, IPTV (coming this fall to the 360), etc? From the way things currently stand, Nintendo seems to be working on getting downloadable content working, as it's planned for Guitar Hero 3 and they said they could release some more dungeons for Twilight Princess if they felt like it. I would love to see Nintendo and Sony both get their services up to Xbox Live's standards, you know why? Microsoft might end up having to provide the service for cheaper, or maybe even free if they do. I don't mind paying $50 a year, but when I buy so many Xbox Live Arcade games, Game Downloads and TV Shows, it starts adding up, you know? I haven't touched the PS3's online, but having my Wii, the system overall is slow to do things (Messages aren't always sent right away, the internet channel is really slow, system updates take anywhere from 3 to 10 minutes, etc), whereas with Xbox Live, the updates don't take even a minute to download.

So yeah. There's a lot of ground for Nintendo to cover if they want to go toe-to-toe with XBL.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Yup. I agree completely, Cashed.

I'm a bit worried, to be honest, about the space on Wii's hardrive for downloadable content, though. I've already filled up a third if not more of it, and with all the layers on songs for GH3, I heard somewhere that the Wii won't have enough memory. I hope they're working on a hard drive expansion .

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I read an interview with Peter Moore, the vice president of some odd branch in M$ [I couldn't be bothered to look it up, it's an odd title]. He said MS had to work loads of problems online and they still are, voice chat has it's share of glitches and such but overall the experience is better before. Nintendo and PS3 will have to strive in order to get anywhere near XBL's experience, which is still running it's courses.

I wouldn't mind paying $50, that's less than $5 a month which is what I pay for Runescape [yes I know I suck, it the only MMORPG my computer can run] but the microtransations would reall drive up the money spent online. I don't think it's any different that Wii's VC other than the fact that VC is only about games. Sooner or later Nintendo will need to boost the memory if they want online to improve, a harddrive would be nice, I'd be willing to spend up to $100 [maybe $150, $200 is pushing it] for one too.

I get the feeling I'm not making any sense, so I'll stop now.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
If Nintendo starts releasing downloadable content for games, and continues to release a steady stream of Virtual Console games, then we will need a hard drive in the near future. There are batches of downloadable content on Xbox Live that are over 1GB, and there's a few demos that are close to the 2GB mark. Granted with the Wii you wouldn't have demos that large because Wii games don't have high-res textures, high-def video and all that ish. Downloadable content on the other hand could easily get huge. Music files, as we all know, are pretty big. On the 360 and PS3 they're going to be larger, as they're required to be at least 5.1 files there, but they could be smaller with the Wii seeing as 5.1 isn't required. To give you an idea, Guitar Hero 2's song packs for the 360 (there are three currently available), are around 30MB each, and RedOctane says there's a lot more content on the way. 512MB won't cut it for Nintendo in the long run, so expect to see a hard drive add-on in the near future.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I wonder if more games will follow Excite truck's path and allow us to use custom soundtracks. Xbox has been doing since the beginning and I don't know about PS3 but it's a neat feature to have.

How do you get the songs onto the Wii anyway? I have a few songs [30] here on itunes that I'd love to transfer if I get Excite truck [although the game will probably only last me a month] and I don't remember seeing any articles about transferring music.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
SD Card. I think you have to format it right though. Or maybe that's just vids.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Oh yeah... that would make sense. I'll have to get my hands on one of those when I get my Wii.

Volrec

Smash Lord
Well, Microsoft did invest billions of dollars in setting up the Live service, and it shows. I can't ever see Nintendo's service going toe-to-toe with Live, but from the sound of this, it looks like Nintendo might be able to get some promising online gaming heading our way.

Will Nintendo's service ever provide downloadable content, game trailers, movie trailers, movies, tv shows, public and private voice chat, video chat, background downloading, game demos, IPTV (coming this fall to the 360), etc? From the way things currently stand, Nintendo seems to be working on getting downloadable content working, as it's planned for Guitar Hero 3 and they said they could release some more dungeons for Twilight Princess if they felt like it. I would love to see Nintendo and Sony both get their services up to Xbox Live's standards, you know why? Microsoft might end up having to provide the service for cheaper, or maybe even free if they do. I don't mind paying $50 a year, but when I buy so many Xbox Live Arcade games, Game Downloads and TV Shows, it starts adding up, you know? I haven't touched the PS3's online, but having my Wii, the system overall is slow to do things (Messages aren't always sent right away, the internet channel is really slow, system updates take anywhere from 3 to 10 minutes, etc), whereas with Xbox Live, the updates don't take even a minute to download.

So yeah. There's a lot of ground for Nintendo to cover if they want to go toe-to-toe with XBL.
****, shut me down. xD

Red Exodus, i'd didnt like excite truck that much. Sure, it's all realistic and ****, but I hated it. But opinions dont matter.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Oh yeah... that would make sense. I'll have to get my hands on one of those when I get my Wii.
SD card or USB port is how you access it.

As for the online idc if I have to pay $50 a year, or even $100 a year, just as long as the online works nearly as good as Xbox Live. Xbox Live is obviously the best with Microsoft investing millions upon millions of this, and it turned out more than successful. As long as Nintendo trys, I think I will be fine.

I don't expect Nintendo to reach the level of Microsoft's Xbox Live, but I expect Nintendo to try and do good with the WiiConnect24. Hopefully the WiiConnect24 is a success, but don't expect the WiiConnect24 to be at the level of Xbox Live.

Volrec

Smash Lord
Since we can't even think of coming close to XBL, one good thing is to:
SPEED
UP.
I'm tired with the slowness of the internet with the Wii, like cashed stated. Plus we need more stuff like...download able content and stuff. >.>

And games, we need that

edit: that was ********, I didnt read any of the posts throughly.

Cashed, and Gaw and Red are right.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Since we can't even think of coming close to XBL, one good thing is to:
SPEED
UP.
I'm tired with the slowness of the internet with the Wii, like cashed stated. Plus we need more stuff like...download able content and stuff. >.>

And games, we need that.
The Wii Internet on the Wii I own runs almost as fast as my computer, and my computer is pretty fast. So what you are talking about with the Wii internet being slow is really confusing me. The only problem I have with it is it sometimes can't find the access point, which is really annoying=:mad: :mad: :mad:! Other than that the overall speed never bothers me=:confused:

Hopefully there is more downloadable content, and a harddrive would be nice. Hopefully Nintendo only gets more serious with the online system, online multiplayer, and online format, otherwise they'll get runover by Microsoft.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
SD Card. I think you have to format it right though. Or maybe that's just vids.
I'm not positive, but i think the music files have to be MP3s. No AAC or anything.

Can you really say that the Wii internet browser works nearly as well as your computer's? Images take forever to load, videos that do work (which are in short supply) take a ridiculous amount of time to load as well. Not just that but I have to restart the internet browser over and over again when I'm trying to use it because it just doesn't like loading some websites.

Volrec

Smash Lord
The internet browser is a waste of time, actually. I mean sure, it's cool and all to browse the internet from the comfort of your couch, but, i'd rather just type with my fingers.

Oh and guys, a cool site for music is "www.imeem.com/wii" Music without long loading time.
Cashed and GAW, i'm adding you guys now because my wii is a foot away.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'm not positive, but i think the music files have to be MP3s. No AAC or anything.

Can you really say that the Wii internet browser works nearly as well as your computer's? Images take forever to load, videos that do work (which are in short supply) take a ridiculous amount of time to load as well. Not just that but I have to restart the internet browser over and over again when I'm trying to use it because it just doesn't like loading some websites.
Ya pretty much, when it is working. Images take quite a while to load, and load sort of slow, but videos load just a bit slower than my computer. I think the Wi-Fi USB dongle thing I got that my Wii connects to is how it loads so fast=ya. When I got the Wii Internet to work with my router, it was extremely slow=:mad:. But ya, it runs fine, when it doesn't say "can't find access point", which drives me pretty crazy! :psycho:

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
The internet browser is a waste of time, actually. I mean sure, it's cool and all to browse the internet from the comfort of your couch, but, i'd rather just type with my fingers.

Oh and guys, a cool site for music is "www.imeem.com/wii" Music without long loading time.
Cashed and GAW, i'm adding you guys now because my wii is a foot away.
You know what would be a nice? An affordable "wireless" kiiboard (lawl) that plugs into the Wiimote just like the Classic Controller and Nunchuk. Screw the USB ports, then I'd have to be close to my Wii when typing... which isn't fun when you're 4 feet away staring into a 37" LCD that is really ****ing bright.

And by "adding you" do you mean my Wii number? I'll go ahead and add you if so, even though it's pointless since all that makes it is so we can message eachother over the Wii Message deal. :C

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
You know what would be a nice? An affordable "wireless" kiiboard (lawl) that plugs into the Wiimote just like the Classic Controller and Nunchuk. Screw the USB ports, then I'd have to be close to my Wii when typing... which isn't fun when you're 4 feet away staring into a 37" LCD that is really ****ing bright.

And by "adding you" do you mean my Wii number? I'll go ahead and add you if so, even though it's pointless since all that makes it is so we can message eachother over the Wii Message deal. :C
Man a wireless keyboard for the Wii would be nice, instead of waving that darn Wiimote around to type=:mad:. I'll never use that Wiimote to type of the boards again, lol. :laugh: A keyboard would be nice, it would be even better if it was like wireless keyboards for computers for the Wii, vs. one that plugs into the Wiimote. :)

Also a Wii forums would be nice, and the Wii Internet would be even better if the Wii had a friend system similar to Xbox Live, instead of writing down and typing in ID #'s=annoying!

Volrec

Smash Lord
I think more wireless stuff will come in the future, like wireless nunchuk, CC, and such. but more batteries and money.

Yeah Cashed, Wii #. Just incase nintendo pulls a "who-ever-is-on-your-friends-list-will
-be-your-friend-code-also-so-you-dont-need-to-add-them"

A boy can dream.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I think more wireless stuff will come in the future, like wireless nunchuk, CC, and such. but more batteries and money.

Yeah Cashed, Wii #. Just incase nintendo pulls a "who-ever-is-on-your-friends-list-will
-be-your-friend-code-also-so-you-dont-need-to-add-them"

A boy can dream.
I hope there is a wireless CC, but I don't see a wireless numchuck anytime soon. IMO the numchuck already works, and to counter the whole battery wasting thing those darn wireless Wiimotes, I've started using rechargeable batteries=more than worth it. :)

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Volrec and Cashed, I'll add you in the morning.

In other news, I got Nintendo Power today. NiGHT's Article that I'll dissect/ summarize for you guys in the morning. Prob. other stuff too.

Sensai

Smash Master
Cashed said:
I got my wisdom teeth removed yesterday and it's very nice to browse the web from my bed.
Hope you feel better. I never got mine removed, but from what I hear they're a *****.
Cashed said:
...i think the music files have to be MP3s.
Quoted for truth. I only have one MP3 on there (Pixies - Where is My Mind), and it works fine. What I really enjoy doing is going to a slideshow of my photos and listening to it...it has the ability to entertain and to be powerful.

I recently saw some type of article about a kiiboard (it was written exactly like that)...it really didn't say anything except that Nintendo had some plans to do it eventually. I think that's what it said, anyways. Gimme a second, I'll look it up. Here we go:
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/24/nintendo-considering-wii-keyboard-peripheral/

It says it's for online surfing, but I'd much rather it be for chatting in games (if they're not giving us a headset).

For those worried about memory on your Wii: you should be. The Wii comes with 512 MB, only which 312 are useable (according to IGN). If you've downloaded any VC games, that means you're probably down into the 200s. A quick look at Wikipedia shows that 3 songs for GH2 on the 360 are 30 MBs. You can do the math and figure things out.

I fully expect a HD sometime, probably before the end of the year. Either that, or they'll make it so you can read directly from SD cards (which would be nice...that means I can steal VC games from my friends EL OH EL!!1).

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I wonder if Nintendo realizes that? That could probably be a new form of pirating =( then Nintendo would get more strict about VC games =(

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^

Exactly. We already had this discussion a long time ago, concerning why it doesn't work like that and what Xbox Live has done to try to make it work better. I don't own a 'box but maybe someone who does can offer some insight onto how it works/what Nintendo might do? Cashed?

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I think that if you try to use games downloaded by someone else they will appear on your xbox as trial versions. Live let's you try games out before you buy them.

The PS store games can be copied up to six times before locking. So you could potentially share the games with six other people.

That's how the other guys do it. Nitendo could keep the games tied to a specific meaning that even if a SD card with a game was inserted the Wii would ignore because it doesn't have the "right" to access it.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Couldn't Nintendo program it so that each game that is downloaded keeps track of the console's Wii number? So when the SD is put into another Wii with a different console number the game refuses to start. That way you can load them onto a SD card.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Like Chill said, you've gotta be connected to Live with the account that originally downloaded whatever it is you're try to play. If you aren't logged into Live, then it'll show up as a Trial if it's an arcade game, or if it's something like Oblivion's expansion, it simply won't let you play it. Nintendo really should allow you to try out the games on the Virtual Console before you buy them, too. There's a few games I'm interested in, but I'm not about to drop $8 on something I can't try first.

The 360's 120GB hard drive came out today, which I would go pick up (even though it's $180), but for the above mentioned stuff, I won't. Transferring your old information to a new hard drive copies everything but the licenses, so you have to be logged in to view any TV shows you've downloaded, Arcade games you've downloaded, extra game content you downloaded, etc. Now, I'm almost always logged into Live, but you know, sometimes the internet is down or something and I don't want to be left without the content I paid for. So yeah, I'm refusing to upgrade until they fix that.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I was thinking about getting a 360 but then there was that stuff about overheating, then they fixed it now they want to make a better verison. I just don't want to a verison that becomes 'obsolete' only to buy better verison of the same console. I wish MS would make up their minds >.>

Sensai

Smash Master
I'll probably be buying one when the Premium drops in price. The Elite doesn't do much for me (the only nice thing is the memory), so I'm not willing to pay that extra price.

Thanks for clearing that up, Chill. 'preciate it.

I agree that you should be able to download a demo for VC titles, but I can (kinda) see why they wouldn't allow you to. It's a really cynical view, but it makes sense: they're trying to cash in on nostalgia, so if they allowed for game demos some people might play that for a moment and say 'man, this game is terrible..' and not purchase it, where as if you see a game that you remember from yester-year with no available demo, you'd just throw the cash out on it.

When (I hope it's 'when' and not 'if') Nintendo releases a VC for user content (indie devs, you know what I mean), I hope they offer the ability to demo. Big mistake if they don't.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I was thinking about getting a 360 but then there was that stuff about overheating, then they fixed it now they want to make a better verison. I just don't want to a verison that becomes 'obsolete' only to buy better verison of the same console. I wish MS would make up their minds >.>
You realize that the only overheating issues the 360 has ever had is because of people placing the console in areas without enough circulation, right? The Intercooler that was released by a third party company? Completely unnecessary, and it actually kills your system instead of saving it. See, it does keep the thing cooler, as more air is blown out of it, but because it plugs into the Power Inlet on the 360, to which you also have to plug in the Power Inlet that goes into the wall, your system doesn't end up getting enough juice to run properly, and the Intercooler then causes the system to fry.

There aren't any better or new versions yet, but like all consoles, the 360 is going to be receiving more cost efficient parts, which end up running smoother because the technology is a couple years old and they've got it all down. They aren't in production yet, but over the summer there are supposed to be 360s made with smaller and cooler running processors, but that's normal for any system in its life span. The 360 was also recently given yet another disc drive manufacturer, some company called BenQ or something, but it's said the disc drives run extremely quiet. I have a launch 360, so naturally, my 360 is pretty loud. My friend bought his 360 about 3 months after launch, and his is quiet because it has a different drive. "Loud" isn't really the right word though, because I consider my Wii to be loud too, but that sounds more like the system itself vibrating while spinning the disc, or maybe I'm just weird and think so.

I'm ranting.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I just realize how little my post made sense... at least you caught the drift. I heard of Xbox 360 Elite so I thought it'd be something worth waiting for, I haven't heard any news yet so I don't want jump to a conclusion. I heard about the 3rd cooler and it looked like something you'd find in a junk yard it also left a stain on your Xbox. I wouldn't buy even if I was worried about my system's temperature control. Thankfully MS stepped up and calmed everyone's fears [even though they didn't have to].

About Wii:
I wonder how Nintendo supports online. They don't charge for it so they must be pulling money from somewhere. I know Nintendo is making profits from their console [unlike Sony and MS] so I imagine that if they charged for online it'd progress much faster than XBL did since they wouldn't have to worry about losing money.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
About Wii:
I wonder how Nintendo supports online. They don't charge for it so they must be pulling money from somewhere. I know Nintendo is making profits from their console [unlike Sony and MS] so I imagine that if they charged for online it'd progress much faster than XBL did since they wouldn't have to worry about losing money.
They support their free online with something called "Overcharging for 20 Year Old Games That Everyone Else Plays For Free With Emulators." And Nintendo needs to fix their online situation so it's at least marginally as accessible, fast, and streamlined as the 360. Just. . .no friend codes. Please.

And I'm thinking about getting an Xbox 360 (just so I can take advantage of my HDTV), but every time I look at the list of games they have, I'm just not that impressed. I'm not attracted to FPSs, so Gears of War and similar games that make 360 so appealing just don't attract me. Although, to be fair, I've tried Rainbow 6: Vegas, and the game is **** good.

Sensai

Smash Master
That's my problem, maelstrom. FPSs don't do it for me, so therefore the 'box isn't incredibly attractive.

And I would say that the online will be pretty basic, so therefore it won't cost much to support. Given, they do have a fairly big revenue of money coming in from VC titles, so they could use that...

Sandy

Smash Champion
Nintendo Wii Fanboy said:
Vampires and ninjas and Shockmen, oh my! This week the Wii Shop Channel takes a trip into the world of ghoulish creatures, mystical curses and professorial abductions. See if you can remember which of these games sparked the whip-carrying craze of the late-'80s! For the best retro gaming around, it's time to pay a visit to the red-hot Wii™ video game system's Wii Shop Channel.

The three new classic games go live at 9 a.m. Pacific time. Nintendo adds new games to the channel every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:
Castlevania® (NES®, 1 player, 500 Wii Points): Step into the shadows of the deadliest dwelling on Earth. You've arrived at Castlevania, and you're here on business: to destroy the curse of the Evil Count, once and for all. Make your way through six monstrous floors filled with bats, ghosts, zombies and every kind of ghoulish creature you can imagine. Use the legendary whip Vampire Killer and a host of deadly weapons to battle your way to Dracula's chamber and the ultimate duel of good vs. evil.

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja™ (Super NES®, 1-2 players, 800 Wii Points): In The Legend of The Mystical Ninja, take control of Kid Ying and Dr. Yang in an action adventure through feudal Japan. A curse has stricken the village of Horo-Horo, and its beloved princess has vanished. Together Kid Ying, a daring young mystical ninja, and Dr. Yang, master of the invincible spirit transformation, must overcome 10 levels of the Dragonbeast to save Princess Yuki. Each stage contains intense 3-D and 2-D zones where the duo must perform dozens of attack moves and solve magical problems and puzzles before advancing. Battle humorous enemies like the Carp Meister, who stuns victims with poisonous fighting fish, Tanaka-U-Out, a knockout artist who wallops opponents with a bone-crushing hammer, and the Sumo Tag Team, kings of the unbeatable belly-buster crunch. Collect coins to buy new equipment and to receive clues, spend some time playing minigames in the arcade or try your luck and increase your fortune at the Quiz House and Horse Races.

Shockman (TurboGrafx16, 1-2 players, 600 Wii Points): It's been two years since Arnold and Sonya were made into Shockmen. A message from the professor to return to their bodies has them head to his laboratory, but they are ambushed by a mysterious enemy along the way. After narrowly defeating the enemy, they catch a TV news flash announcing the Ryo Empire invasion. They find that the professor has been abducted and set out to rescue him. Shockman is a side-view action shooter that has eight stages, including Action Stages, where you jump and use special techniques, and side-scrolling Shooting Stages. This game expands on the well-paced story from the previous version and contains cooperative elements like shared life and a powerful Team Shockbeam that can be used during two-player simultaneous play.
I think I beat Sensai to the punch....

That's my problem, maelstrom. FPSs don't do it for me, so therefore the 'box isn't incredibly attractive.

And I would say that the online will be pretty basic, so therefore it won't cost much to support. Given, they do have a fairly big revenue of money coming in from VC titles, so they could use that...
I guess we all share something in common then,for I also am not attracted to FPS's alot,but on the other hand,I love fighting games more than anything...and luckily we get a couple of good ones for the Wii...Super Smash Bros. Brawl...and of course...Guilty Gear XX Accent Core.

I just hope that it comes over seas to the U.S. because I have been anticipating this game,and I do not want to put my PS2's life in jeopardy.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Don't forget MK:Armageddon! THough that's always been considered a joke fighter, they're trying to make it more serious this time around.

*Prays for SC4*

Stryks

Smash Hero
Long time ago rite around before the wii was reeased, namco said SC4 will indeed be for the wii, doubt its exclusive but u'll never know...
And Im gettin MK armageddon, the guys on IGN say its a great game with the wii controllers, and theres only a handful of fighting games that can beat it...

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
I guess we all share something in common then,for I also am not attracted to FPS's alot,but on the other hand,I love fighting games more than anything...and luckily we get a couple of good ones for the Wii...Super Smash Bros. Brawl...and of course...Guilty Gear XX Accent Core.

I just hope that it comes over seas to the U.S. because I have been anticipating this game,and I do not want to put my PS2's life in jeopardy.
Well, I'm still dubious about GGXX on the Wii. . .not that I doubt the reports (Famitsu is actually pretty reliable as a news source), but until I see it reported by ArcSys themselves on the GGXX^C website, I'm going to keep my elation in check.

The good thing is, someone's developing a Freeloader (basically, a soft-mod option) for the Wii, which means that sooner or later, which probably means later, we can all play imported games without fear of screwing up our Wiis. So yeah: Freeloader + GGXX^C = pure fun.

BTW, how does the Classic Controller feel compared to the PS2 pad? I didn't get one yet, so I'm wondering how GGXX would feel on the Wii's Classic Controller. The D-Pad comfortable? The button placement feel OK?

Top Bottom