• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I don't have Red Steel, but I'll be getting it fairly soon. I have no idea if I'm going to like it or not...heh. Oh well, we shall see.

Elebits Edit Mode video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuHNoj611Rg&eurl=

I'm so excited about that game...
Don't get TOO excited-- not that it's a bad game-- but it's really short.

I played for 5 hours the day I got it, and got halfway through the game.

So basically, I'm only playing one level every day now... just so it's life expectancy lasts a bit longer.

Sensai, when you get it, we need to swap Wii numbers so we can share levels. xD

Sensai

Smash Master
Word to that, Xsyven.

And the part I'm excited about is the Edit Mode, actually. That video made me REALLY want it.

And I'm 100% sure I'm getting it now.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yes, there is a hard drive, but you can copy data to an SD card if you wish.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
The wii comes equipped with 512mb of save space. You might be thinkin' that's tiny-- but it's enough for a lot of game saves.

And if you somehow do run out of space, you can always get an SD card--which are standard in most Digi cams.

Your Wiimote also has storage in it-- but I'm not sure as to what you can store in thre other than Miis.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
There's a 512MB Flash Drive built in, and you should have enough room to save most games and such without any problems. You'll probably need SD cards when you start downloading VC games since they take up huge chunks of blocks.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Actually, 512 MB is quite small when you consider the number of games that you might accumulate with the Virtual Console, and game saves on top of everything else. I've looked up the numbers, and apparently:

Educated chap on another forum said:
Each block on the Wii is equal to 128KB. 93 blocks for Super Mario 64 is approximately equal to 12MB.
Of the 512MB onboard flash memory, 270MB (2164 blocks) are available for user storage, the rest is probably used for the OS (built-in channels, messages, Miis, ...) and game data caching
For anyone planning on downloading VC games, you'd best think ahead and start looking for SD cards. DO NOT buy the ones being advertised for the Wii because they're grossly overpriced. Standard SD cards can be found on NewEgg.com for ridiculously cheap.

EDIT: Or. . .you could just listen to Rockettrainer, who got his post in before I did.

smashman90

Smash Lord
Thanks guys. Because I was trying to decide whether or not I should get one or not. Because I am getting a lot of gift cards and I am expecting to get around $120 dollars worth of them. So now I know what I will get. Here is the list:
1 Wiimote
1 nunchuk attachment
1 LoZ:TP

Then the rest will depend on how much money I have left.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Yup. Works dandy.

And another Monday, so we now have more VC games. But what do you now, none of them are interesting to me.
Sorry about my ignorance, but does that mean I can copy someone's SD card, allowing me to put a VC game onto my Wii without paying?

Not that I would ever do something like that.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
Sorry about my ignorance, but does that mean I can copy someone's SD card, allowing me to put a VC game onto my Wii without paying?

Not that I would ever do something like that.
No. Each VC game is linked to a Wii. Actually, I think you may be able to delete a VC game and re-download it for free. You aren't buying the file; you're buying the rights to the using the file. Deleting the file doesn't kill your rights.*

*I think

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
Yup. Works dandy.

And another Monday, so we now have more VC games. But what do you now, none of them are interesting to me.
Excellent. There is no way I could justify spending $100 on a 2g card when I can buy one for $25 somewhere else. By the way, what card brand did you use?

I feel the same way about the VC games. Besides, I already have a good collection here on my computer. God bless emulators.

Edit: Wow I am really cheep.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Excellent. There is no way I could justify spending $100 on a 2g card when I can buy one for $25 somewhere else. By the way, what card brand did you use?
Got a SanDisk (You know, the like, original SD card brand) 2GB card for $30 on Black Friday at Best Buy. It was a great investment... though I wish I would've got two. I bought it for my camera, which it works fantastic with (I take a lot of pictures), and it works great with my Wii... but if you have Wii data on the SD card, it brings up this "Card is locked by copyrights!" message when I put it in my camera. I can still take pictures and such, but when I try to view the pictures I take it gives me that message. And omfg, has anyone else been using the Photo Channel? The slide show feature is the best I've seen anywhere... I love popping in my SD card and playing back all my pictures to some of the music I have on my SD card. If your camera can take video the Wii will also play that back in the slide show. Quite awesome. Doodle is fun, but a wii bit hard to control in my opinion. Puzzle is a blast. My friends and I were putting together a video of my friend bowling for about 15 minutes and we were all having a great time screaming at eachother where the pieces went. Video + 48 pieces = craziness.

And you can redownload any games you buy as long as you're using the same Wii. If you get a new Wii, you gotta download everything again. You can't even transfer it over an SD card to your new console. Not very well thought out, in my opinion.

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^

But at the same time, what else were they supposed to do? If they allowed for games to be transferred by SD, then the data would be easily stolen. As you point out, though, now it's overly confusing and painful.

Where's the middle ground? I have no idea.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
^^^

But at the same time, what else were they supposed to do? If they allowed for games to be transferred by SD, then the data would be easily stolen. As you point out, though, now it's overly confusing and painful.

Where's the middle ground? I have no idea.
I dunno, maybe have everyone create a username when they take their Wii online and when you download something have it be tied to your username/friend code, not just on have it be tied to the console, that way when/if you have to buy a new console, you could get all your stuff back (Wouldn't work with friend codes as your console comes with one and you have no option anywhere of recovering an old friend code or anything). Atleast, that's what Microsoft did with the 360. Microsoft dodged people stealing XBLA games by using the same method, if your username downloaded the title, you have full access to it anywhere and can redownload it on any console. The catch is, unless the person who downloaded the game is logged in on the system other than the one it was originally downloaded on, everyone else can only play the demo. That's another area Nintendo went wrong. Why can't I play demos of these VC games? I have no idea what many of them are but would love to give them a go.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I just downloaded SM64 today. I still have tons of blocks left...

So basically, unless you like old games a WHOLE lot and somehow don't have a computer that can run NES games via emulator, I'd buy an SD card for my Wii. Otherwise, don't get one til you need it.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Chances are that if you have a regular SD card, it should work. Nintendo's website doesn't recommend anything over 2GB, but people have reported 8GB cards working. Just try any SD card you have, and if it doesn't work find another/buy one. Don't buy a Nintendo one, because it honestly is wasting money.

I guess I was kind of exaggerating the size of the VC games. But once they start releasing the good VC games next year, you'll begin running out of space pretty fast.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Don't forget that in order to transfer game data to/from an SD card requires downloading the first Wii update.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hey Cashed, press Up while watching a slide show and you can blur out all those naked pictures of Matt when people are watching.

And I agree, Doodle is the best game I have on the Wii so far. :)

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
two things.

one: the forecast system is working a day ahead of time for those who care.

two: a trial version of the opera browser will be available on the 22nd "in europe" according to ifn, and the final version is expected in march (dunno if that's for europe as well).

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
I checked it out myself. It's gonna be 6 degrees tomorrow in my town. It's working pretty good, too bad that you can only check out the big cities in foreign countries. Maybe that'll get fixed?

About the Opera Browser, yeah I heard. Sounds nice but I wanna know what the difference will be between the trial and the final version.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I'm downloading the forecast channel right now.

The Opera browser. *sigh* No one knows when it'll launch for N. America yet. Supposedly, Norway, or Denmark, or some random scandanavian country already has it.

When it does come out, it'll be free to use until June '07. After that, there will be some sort of 'fee'. Fees are annual... not worth it. Especially since my computer is right by my TV.

I wonder if someday, all 48 of my channels will be filled up. o_o"

smashbros_777

Smash Journeyman
I just downloaded the forecast channel its good except i wish it used satillite images like on google earth (where it shows the houses and stuff).

Europe is getting the Opera in 4 days, man if only N A got it.

Sensai

Smash Master
As far as I know, it is wrong. The 5 dollar thing is one time. My question about it is this: since we already have the free version (it's free til June o7), do we have to pay for the full version? Or is the free version the trial version, with the full being released in June?

ARGH!

Vulpine51 said:
Im downloading it right now. Cant wait to check it out. Its good to hear Nintendo is ahead oc schedule.
That made me laugh. They're a day ahead of this, with a few weeks behind the Opera browser.

[Edit:]

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=152528?cid=otc-rss&attr=cvg-general-rss&skip=yes

Link to things concerning the release dates of Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, and Phantom Hourglass.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
That Q1 release list for the DS and Wii is not only partially inaccurate (Excite Truck and GG: Dust Strikers have already been released), but it looks kind of. . .bone dry. Outside of Wario Ware--which I've yet to play any iteration of in my life thus far--there's really nothing that interesting for the Wii. I think I may be forced to start pacing myself in Zelda and FFXII and only play an hour a day, because it's starting to look like another Gamecube drought.

*sigh*

Well, Nintendo better do something about releasing **** good VC titles during Q1 to make up for the lack of actual software releases. Super Mario RPG, Super Metroid, Link to the Past better come out soon.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Elebits is amazing. I highly recommend that one. Screw catching little creatures; just thrashing the house is oh-so-satisfying.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
So apparently, those rumors about Mario Galaxy and MP3 being released in late 2007 are false. Or so Reggie would have us believe:

There won't be a drought

I laughed when I read that. This is coming from the company that delayed Twilight Princess for over a year and more. . .who promised that Brawl would be a launch title for the Wii. . .who said that Phantom Hourglass would be ready by this Christmas. . .don't try and fool me, Nintendo. I remember the Gamecube. *shudders*

Notice that Reggie didn't mention Smash. That's curious.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
No matter what they do, there is no way they can match the delayness of Blizzard.

Stryks

Smash Hero
I cant freakin update my wii!! Ie been triying all day an so far nothing, its updating now, but the speed is incredibly slow... Im incredibly pissed...

Top Bottom